or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 265

post #7921 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyBill View Post

I think that is what everyone who has gotten a demo from me has been expecting.

You see all these commercials where everyone on the couch is reaching out to a fish or a spear right in front of them. And I have seen NOTHING even remotely like that from the TV so far.

And people talk in reviews about being "immersed" or something "fills the room". Why do they say that if it doesn't happen?

I just wanted to see if I was missing something (aka had something configured wrong) but it sounds like I am not. A shame, really.

I think it's all set up right because the TV and the BluRay player (BDT-220) both see each other and talk to each other.



I think it is possibly just your eyes and how they perceive things when viewing 3d content. I have had the same problem while watching 3d blu rays , some people just see the 3d pop out better than others.I was watching ultimate wave Tahiti on 3d blu ray and it looks stunning , I called my parents over to take a look and they were reaching out trying to grab things popping out while I did not have the same full experience as them. I looked it up online and there are tests you can do and also ways to train your eyes to see 3d better which I will not do. I have yet to go to a eye doctor to have my eyes checked but I believe it's just my eyes or certain factors such as maybe being used to viewing a big screen , so many things to take into account. Just trying to ease your mind a bit as I have had the same problem and thought it possibly was the tv but I had a friend come by who owns the top of the line 3d setup which is Nvidia 3d vision , he mostly games & watches the occasional blu ray so I gave him the test and he said it looked great even though with Nvidia vision he is seeing a full 1080p per eye when gaming while we are only getting I believe 720p and 1080p split in two per eye if I am correct. But I wouldn't worry much as it was a big concern to me at first I figured how much 3d content do I watch for it to really bother me , not much at all except the occasional blu ray and video game. Maybe more research will help me figure this out but for now I'm ok with it as everything looks pretty great and depth has been amazing. Pop out for me hasn't hit me in the face yet but I can still notice it's there and adds some excitement .
post #7922 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbreen76 View Post

What have you viewed so far? Lion King was not very impressive to me, compared to Imax stuff. I think you just haven't seen anything that has been well-done in 3D. I too was impressed with the 3D capability of this set.

I suppose that Avatar 3D should showcase the potential of 3D (sadly, I haven't seen it yet!). I thought that Hugo was done quite well though.

Also, the glasses will make a difference. I tried both the PS3 glasses, and another cheaper pair off of ebay, and the PS3 glasses were much nicer.
post #7923 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

Well it sounds like most of the sets have been fixed for FBr, so it doesn't matter what your serial # is anymore. Even if by any chance you get one that hasn't had the fix, Panny will be right out to fix it. Now, that doesn't mean you won't get one with the green and pink blobs or a buzzer. That's why I was glad I could calibrate the effects of the uniformity problem to disappear and not be a problem. It's a hard choice I know. I can't take mine back now but I have 7 more months to refer it to Panny. You are the only other one to report it on here. It took a long time for anybody to respond to my post about it.

It just sucks because all 3 local Costco stores are low XX12XX or even XX11XX. I realize FBr will probably be patched but this panel is pristine otherwise. Dunno if I'm being paranoid but I figure a later build would have less issues. I've called Panasonic but now I have to wait 2-4 days until they call back and set up a service call.

My biggest issue is that it's a 65" set and I drive a car - it's not something I can move around easily and if I have to/do take it back the time and expense is a pain.

If Costco didn't have 90 days return I would probably send it back. Guess I can wait a week but it certainly is disappointing. First world problems I guess.
post #7924 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkandlong View Post


It just sucks because all 3 local Costco stores are low XX12XX or even XX11XX. I realize FBr will probably be patched but this panel is pristine otherwise. Dunno if I'm being paranoid but I figure a later build would have less issues. I've called Panasonic but now I have to wait 2-4 days until they call back and set up a service call.

My biggest issue is that it's a 65" set and I drive a car - it's not something I can move around easily and if I have to/do take it back the time and expense is a pain.

If Costco didn't have 90 days return I would probably send it back. Guess I can wait a week but it certainly is disappointing. First world problems I guess.

Let us know what they tell you. Be interesting what they tell you the problem is. My research turned up nothing other than the response I gave you. My tv is not showing it now, with the settings I have, but I know the monster is lurking there on the right side.
post #7925 of 8439
Hi,

My 60" st30 is less than 6 months old. I was very cautious for the first 200 hours, and after that too. I ran slides and watched only full screen content during this time. After a while I figured it was ok to start enjoying the TV and decided it was no longer necessary to zoom out the channel logos.

Needless to say, a few days ago, I noticed the Golf Channel logo burned in my screen. Its only visible against a light, solid background (white, green, grey), and I can see it from 10 feet away. Its been a few days and its still there. I ran the white scroll bar to no avail and avoided the logo since but none of that made a difference.

I watch the golf channel every weekend for 3-4 hours at a time but mix it in with plenty of full screen HD movies.

I thought this was a thing of the past on plasmas. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
post #7926 of 8439
Quote:


I thought this was a thing of the past on plasmas. Anyone else have this issue?

Also 60" ST30, and while Short Term IR seems to set in fairly quickly, thus far it has also disappeared fairly quickly.

But then we don't game, nor watch channels with "hard" logos very often.

And, yes, there has been a number of IR / Burn In reports cropping up recently for the 2011 Panasonic plasma models. Someone told me that most of those reports have been on VT or GT models - but I do not know WHY that would be true, and certainly it is not the case with your panel.

I would try running the "break in slides" overnight - or even Overnight For Several Days - to see if that helps....

Best of Luck!
post #7927 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

Let us know what they tell you. Be interesting what they tell you the problem is. My research turned up nothing other than the response I gave you. My tv is not showing it now, with the settings I have, but I know the monster is lurking there on the right side.

I will definitely update. Its gotta be something hardware based. I tried your settings and nothing improved. It comes on 5 minutes after starting up so its definitely getting worse. Wonder if continuing to use the tv is ok or not.
post #7928 of 8439
Well, got my a few hours ago and I was EXTREAMLY skeptical after reading everything in these forums but I couldn't be any more thrilled so far. Running the slides now. I will note that yes, there is a slight buzzing sound when ther is a dark image displayed but it is pretty slight and I can hear all the clocks ticking just as loud so no big deal. Also, it does put out a small amount of heat but it's only "warm". I have never seen better blacks in my life. I must be lucky or have crappy eyes cause I don't see any dead/stuck pixels or green blobs yet. I did see the same thing someone else saw when the green "ratings" screen came but that's the only time I see that "streaking" (EDIT: Line bleed and it's normal whew). Aside from that, I can't find a thing wrong with this beast.

Are black bar burn ins common when watching dvds or are they less likley than channel logos? Should I be ok after 200 hours of zoom mode and slides?

Also, thank you Jimmy, I used your settings and it looks AWESOME!!!
post #7929 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida View Post

Hi,

My 60" st30 is less than 6 months old. I was very cautious for the first 200 hours, and after that too. I ran slides and watched only full screen content during this time. After a while I figured it was ok to start enjoying the TV and decided it was no longer necessary to zoom out the channel logos.

Needless to say, a few days ago, I noticed the Golf Channel logo burned in my screen. Its only visible against a light, solid background (white, green, grey), and I can see it from 10 feet away. Its been a few days and its still there. I ran the white scroll bar to no avail and avoided the logo since but none of that made a difference.

I watch the golf channel every weekend for 3-4 hours at a time but mix it in with plenty of full screen HD movies.

I thought this was a thing of the past on plasmas. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

I have Nat Geo logo on my "60 on the bottom right corner.....Its been 2 months now and its not completely gone yet....... I too was very careful for the first 100 hrs. It just sucks, cause now I have to view one of my favorite channel in Just Mode instead of full mode.
post #7930 of 8439
I have a 65ST30 with buzzing noise varying intensity & frequency depending on what is showing on screen but mostly during fade-outs when there is no soundtrack...so the buzz is pretty annoying even 10 feet away...

Panasonic tech came yesterday, he replaced all the boards that were buzzing with new ones...still same noise. He called the Pana. "engineer' & was told it was "as per design" & that some people with better hearing would always notice it even 10 feet away !!!

I also have line bleeding; as an example, someone's face standing in front of a wall that has an horizontal line pattern going behind it's face...the TV will then show that same line continuing through the face...even thouhg it's behind the face & should not be seen.... The engineer also confirmed it was designed that way... Go figure!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

Well, got my a few hours ago and I was EXTREAMLY skeptical after reading everything in these forums but I couldn't be any more thrilled so far. Running the slides now. I will note that yes, there is a slight buzzing sound when ther is a dark image displayed but it is pretty slight and I can hear all the clocks ticking just as loud so no big deal. Also, it does put out a small amount of heat but it's only "warm". I have never seen better blacks in my life. I must be lucky or have crappy eyes cause I don't see any dead/stuck pixels or green blobs yet. I did see the same thing someone else saw when the green "ratings" screen came but that's the only time I see that "streaking" (EDIT: Line bleed and it's normal whew). Aside from that, I can't find a thing wrong with this beast.

Are black bar burn ins common when watching dvds or are they less likley than channel logos? Should I be ok after 200 hours of zoom mode and slides?

Also, thank you Jimmy, I used your settings and it looks AWESOME!!!
post #7931 of 8439
Is there a way to display the amount of time the tv has been used? I googled, searched the forums and read the manual but I can't find out how to display how many hours I've used the tv. Or maybe It is not possible? Also, Is there any way to use a usb extender so the dumb wireless dongle doesn't stick out of the side?
post #7932 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneNumm View Post

I suppose that Avatar 3D should showcase the potential of 3D (sadly, I haven't seen it yet!). I thought that Hugo was done quite well though.

Also, the glasses will make a difference. I tried both the PS3 glasses, and another cheaper pair off of ebay, and the PS3 glasses were much nicer.

I really want to see Hugho and Avatar, as I hear they are the best so far. I just ordered PS3 glasses for my son this morning. I will be able to directly compare them to the 3rd gen Panny's as I have borrowed my friends.
post #7933 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

Is there a way to display the amount of time the tv has been used? I googled, searched the forums and read the manual but I can't find out how to display how many hours I've used the tv. Or maybe It is not possible? Also, Is there any way to use a usb extender so the dumb wireless dongle doesn't stick out of the side?

You have to access the service menu to see the hours. Search in this forum you should be able to find the instructions fairly easily.
post #7934 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

Is there a way to display the amount of time the tv has been used? I googled, searched the forums and read the manual but I can't find out how to display how many hours I've used the tv. Or maybe It is not possible? Also, Is there any way to use a usb extender so the dumb wireless dongle doesn't stick out of the side?

Push the vol down button on the TV and hold it until the service menu comes up. Scroll down to the last option on the left and then go one to the right. Hold the mute button down on the remote until the hours pop up. Then rub your head and scratch your stomach.

On back, top of your TV on the usb side, there is a bolt that is out a fraction of an inch. Your dongle has a hanging hole in it that you can hang it from that bolt. I loop the cords under the hdmi cords to hide the cables.
post #7935 of 8439
Perfect! Thank you! I am really enjoying this tv. Now I need to find some cheap 3-d glasses.
post #7936 of 8439
[Perfect! Thank you! I am really enjoying this tv. Now I need to find some cheap 3-d glasses.[/quote]
I just bought these they work pretty well:http://www.amazon.com/GBSG03-JP-Acti...949072&sr=8-15
post #7937 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

[Perfect! Thank you! I am really enjoying this tv. Now I need to find some cheap 3-d glasses.

I just bought these they work pretty well:http://www.amazon.com/GBSG03-JP-Acti...949072&sr=8-15[/quote]

I bought a pair of these glasses. They work well for 3d, but are uncomfortable and I can't wear them very long. Looking for PS3 glasses next.
post #7938 of 8439
Ok so i have one of these tv's coming this weekend.....and i see all these threads about calibration, breaking in, etc.....and im effing clueless about this stuff.


Can someone just point me in the right direction of what to do for good performance out of this thing.....and tell me like im a complete idiot....which apparantly i am...ha.

Ive seen things on here...but no idea where to look or what it does.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
post #7939 of 8439
I just googled "break in slides zip" or something and put them on a flash drive. You are supposed to let them play as a slideshow for the first 200 hours. I used Jimmys setting for calibration found in the other thread with some minor adjustments. I can expand on that better when I get some more time to post if you need me to.
post #7940 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

I just googled "break in slides zip" or something and put them on a flash drive. You are supposed to let them play as a slideshow for the first 200 hours. I used Jimmys setting for calibration found in the other thread with some minor adjustments. I can expand on that better when I get some more time to post if you need me to.

Ok...why do i need to "break it in"? What does that do?

And i bookmarked some settings by D-Nice? Whoever that is....but it might as well be quantum physics....no idea what hes talking about.
post #7941 of 8439
I may be corrected but here goes... The break in is used to evenly break in the tvs phosphors. Phosphor is a substance that absorbs and gives off light. The problem with the phosphor on a tv is that if you leave an image at the same place for to long, the phosphor could permanently "remember" the image and will always display it in some form. This is known as "burn in". This tv has a pixel orbiter which does just that, it shifts the pixels so that a single pixel does not stay retained which helps but for some reason, phosphor is more prone to image retention when it is new so caution is needed. That is also why it is recommended to use the fill or stretch mode for the first 200 hours so those black bars aren't "stuck" there.

The settings you are referring to are ( I use this term loosely) to calibrate your tv. Think of your tv as a car. Left stock it will go only so fast and perform so well. Calibrating your tv is like a mechanic that fine tunes your car to perform better. Those settings are a good start to tweak the colors, contrast, tint ect to look more life like and pleasing to the eyes. Each set is different and the room in which the tv will be watched will always be different so there is no end all- be all of settings. That's why people pay big money to have someone come over and calibrate it. You use the tvs menu to access these settings and you can adjust them to your liking. The tv will have preset settings like vivid and standard but you will probably get better results using d-nice or Jimmys settings to start with. I hope this helps. I am a noob but I will try to answer what I can.
post #7942 of 8439
Has anyone had any issue with their ST30 screen occasionally blanking out or going all black for about half a second and then continuing on business as usual? This has happened the last week or so while watching TV content. Last night it occurred, I tried rewinding to see if it was just the cable feed, but it played on through no problem.

Not sure if I should call Panasonic to proceed further in diagnosing.
post #7943 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtercavendish View Post

Has anyone had any issue with their ST30 screen occasionally blanking out or going all black for about half a second and then continuing on business as usual? This has happened the last week or so while watching TV content. Last night it occurred, I tried rewinding to see if it was just the cable feed, but it played on through no problem.

Not sure if I should call Panasonic to proceed further in diagnosing.

Bought mine last October. In the first couple of days mine actually turned it's self off, two different times. It was on, I walked to another room, came back and it was off. It has never happened again.
post #7944 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtercavendish View Post

Has anyone had any issue with their ST30 screen occasionally blanking out or going all black for about half a second and then continuing on business as usual? This has happened the last week or so while watching TV content. Last night it occurred, I tried rewinding to see if it was just the cable feed, but it played on through no problem.

Not sure if I should call Panasonic to proceed further in diagnosing.

You may need to change your hdmi cords. A lot of people say they are all the same, but I noticed a difference when I got some new 1.4 hdmi cords.
post #7945 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

I may be corrected but here goes... The break in is used to evenly break in the tvs phosphors. Phosphor is a substance that absorbs and gives off light. The problem with the phosphor on a tv is that if you leave an image at the same place for to long, the phosphor could permanently "remember" the image and will always display it in some form. This is known as "burn in". This tv has a pixel orbiter which does just that, it shifts the pixels so that a single pixel does not stay retained which helps but for some reason, phosphor is more prone to image retention when it is new so caution is needed. That is also why it is recommended to use the fill or stretch mode for the first 200 hours so those black bars aren't "stuck" there.

The settings you are referring to are ( I use this term loosely) to calibrate your tv. Think of your tv as a car. Left stock it will go only so fast and perform so well. Calibrating your tv is like a mechanic that fine tunes your car to perform better. Those settings are a good start to tweak the colors, contrast, tint ect to look more life like and pleasing to the eyes. Each set is different and the room in which the tv will be watched will always be different so there is no end all- be all of settings. That's why people pay big money to have someone come over and calibrate it. You use the tvs menu to access these settings and you can adjust them to your liking. The tv will have preset settings like vivid and standard but you will probably get better results using d-nice or Jimmys settings to start with. I hope this helps. I am a noob but I will try to answer what I can.


Ok that makes more sense.

So the breaking in.......do i just leave the tv on? Or do i need to do something else to do it?

Thanks for the help.
post #7946 of 8439
They say the best way is to leave the slides on consecutively. I don't want my wife to see any jump in the electric bill so 100-200 hours on all the time scares me. I don't trust it to leave it on while I am not around but honestly, Panasonic doesn't mention anything about the slides and I think as long as you are careful, you will be fine. Just make sure that the slide show repeat is on. Slides and full/ zoomed format while trying to stay away from logos and stagnant images and you should be just fine.
post #7947 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

They say the best way is to leave the slides on consecutively. I don't want my wife to see any jump in the electric bill so 100-200 hours on all the time scares me. I don't trust it to leave it on while I am not around but honestly, Panasonic doesn't mention anything about the slides and I think as long as you are careful, you will be fine. Just make sure that the slide show repeat is on. Slides and full/ zoomed format while trying to stay away from logos and stagnant images and you should be just fine.


Does it have slides on it? Or do i need to get slides or something? Guess im not sure what you mean or where you get slides.

Im dumb.
post #7948 of 8439
Just watch TV as you normally would, it will be fine.
post #7949 of 8439
so in the past few days my 55st has shut itself off out of the blue. I turn it back on and it seems to work fine. Not acceptable in my book
Does panasonic have a fix for this or is this a return to store issue?
post #7950 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawf24 View Post

Does it have slides on it? Or do i need to get slides or something? Guess im not sure what you mean or where you get slides.

Im dumb.

You can just watch the tv or go through the aging process, up to you. D-Nice is a highly respected calibrator and has kindly provided a way of making our tv's look a lot like a calibrated unit. If you want to set yours up this way just follow the instructions in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1371710

Post one has instructions on how to age/stabilize the panel with Evangelo's slides. Just put them on a usb drive and go into the tv's slideshow to view them. Change the tv's settings after you get the slideshow up and running then let it run for 4.5 days. Then setup the tv as per the next post that matches your tv's model number.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk]