or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Wichita, KS - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wichita, KS - HDTV - Page 97

post #2881 of 3098
So I've about had it with KAKE and their lame weather system's inability to overlay on the HD feed. I wonder if we can use that as a basis for getting the HD ABC feed from DirecTV.
post #2882 of 3098
KAKE would have to grant you a waiver and they will not do it.
post #2883 of 3098
That is the unfortunate thing with these network TV stations, you can't say you won't watch them because then you can't see the programming. The best we can do is complain a lot and stop watching the programming they put together. I have had it too, I don't even watch ABC shows, even if I want to see them.

One would think that given all the other local stations have HD overlay ability, that KAKE would jump on it. Honestly, that is the most important thing for them to do right now. At the least they could split their Digital channel and make one "HD Only" or something. I saw a station up in Michigan that did that, the HD channel was just that, only pulled in for Station ID at times, the other was crappy SD all the time. Just like before the Digital shutoff.
post #2884 of 3098
Has anyone called to complain? I have and encourage you to as well. The more the merrier.
post #2885 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresf View Post

Has anyone called to complain? I have and encourage you to as well. The more the merrier.

I have sent many emails from various email accounts to KAKE asking about any upcoming plans to upgrade their capabilities. And as always, no response.
post #2886 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresf View Post

Has anyone called to complain? I have and encourage you to as well. The more the merrier.

KAKE said, "we are aware of the issue...and are actively working towards a solution."
post #2887 of 3098
They do appear very sensitive and grumpy about it when called or emailed. I don't get it
post #2888 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresf View Post

They do appear very sensitive and grumpy about it when called or emailed. I don't get it

They didn't come off that way to me. Frustrated, perhaps. Sounded like they WANT to do it.

It's not like they can just go out and spend whatever they want. They do answer to a corporate parent.

Maybe the complaints should go to Atlanta, HQ for Gray TV?
post #2889 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippster View Post

So I've about had it with KAKE and their lame weather system's inability to overlay on the HD feed. I wonder if we can use that as a basis for getting the HD ABC feed from DirecTV.

KSAS has the same problem. When the MLB Allstar game was on, KSAS had to drop out of HD to overlay the weather warning map.
post #2890 of 3098
Don't waste your time calling KSAS though. The Fox splicer does not currently support crawls over HD. It's looking like early next year on that one.

- Trip
post #2891 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Zephyr View Post

KAKE said, "we are aware of the issue...and are actively working towards a solution."

GREAT NEWS!!!

If you were watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire on Monday evening, August 10, you might have noticed something different.

KAKE was NOT having to go to SD to overlay a weather ticker!!!

They finally bought the necessary equipment to overlay a weather ticker (or breaking news or school closings) over HD programming.

From now on, whenever severe weather deems a ticker necessary, then they can stay in HD, just like KSNW and KWCH have had the ability to do forever, it seems.

The only caveat I've found is that the ticker display is not in a true 16x9 widescreen ratio, but instead only fills the 4x3 center cut frame, but at least the black bar is transparent now instead of completely opaque.

I'm curious as to other's reaction about this long awaited upgrade...
post #2892 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by schick81 View Post

KAKE was NOT having to go to SD to overlay a weather ticker!!!

They finally bought the necessary equipment to overlay a weather ticker (or breaking news or school closings) over HD programming. ...

I'm curious as to other's reaction about this long awaited upgrade...

About time! It is actually watchable again! :up:
post #2893 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by schick81 View Post


I'm curious as to other's reaction about this long awaited upgrade...

My reaction is a little too late IMHO, my mind about KAKE is been made up. If it took them this long to do an HD overlay, I don't expect HD news or anything else anytime soon. With that said, I am glad they finally updated, maybe I will now not try to avoid KAKE as I have in the past.

I emailed them once recently about the problem, has anybody else here done the same? Maybe the pressure from viewers got them to finally do it.
post #2894 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid7085 View Post

I emailed them once recently about the problem, has anybody else here done the same? Maybe the pressure from viewers got them to finally do it.

Or, maybe they were going to do it anyway...and finally got the money from their owners.

Just like they'll go HD for news, when they get funded.

Do you really think any local station doesn't want to be HD? It's all about getting the cash from the corporate HQ. Which is more difficult these days.

Maybe if a local station can impress upon the bosses that its viewers are more upset than a sister station in another city, it may move up the priority list. But, I think even that would be a stretch.
post #2895 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Zephyr View Post

Or, maybe they were going to do it anyway...and finally got the money from their owners.

Just like they'll go HD for news, when they get funded.

Do you really think any local station doesn't want to be HD? It's all about getting the cash from the corporate HQ. Which is more difficult these days.

Maybe if a local station can impress upon the bosses that its viewers are more upset than a sister station in another city, it may move up the priority list. But, I think even that would be a stretch.

I am sure that it was on the list, but I know that I personally strayed away from KAKE for that reason. It may have just been a timing thing seeing as how everybody, is now watching the same feed. So taking that into account, complaints might have been at a much higher rate.
post #2896 of 3098
For those using OTA...have you noticed Wichita's newest full-power TV station?

KDCU-DT (Univision) is on RF channel 31, broadcasting 1MW from the old KSCW transmitter and tower, near Colwich.
post #2897 of 3098
Is it mapping to 31-1 or 46-1?

- Trip
post #2898 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I don't know if anyone here saw it, but Schurz has applied to swap KWCH-DT 12 and KSCW-DT 19 effective June 22. This would make KWCH's signal the same as it was prior to June 12.

- Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

It doesn't look like the FCC approved it...

- Trip

Looks like we're in the 90-day comment window...and probably will be approved.

http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Da...-09-1576A1.txt
post #2899 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Is it mapping to 31-1 or 46-1?

- Trip

31.1 for now...BTW...the call letters have yet to appear via the PSIP, yet.

Until they do, the virtual channel may be updated. We'll see.
post #2900 of 3098
Alright, keep me informed.

- Trip
post #2901 of 3098
Something tells me that the arrival of the new full-power Spanish language station will mean the end for the other Spanish station, KSMI-51.
post #2902 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Zephyr View Post

31.1 for now...BTW...the call letters have yet to appear via the PSIP, yet.

Until they do, the virtual channel may be updated. We'll see.

The call letters are KDCU. It is the new Univision affiliate in Wichita. I saw an ad on KWCH for the new station looking for sales associates and the call letters were on the commercial.
post #2903 of 3098
The press release from Entravision on the launch of KDCU says channel 31, and since KDCU never did hit the airwaves on channel 46, perhaps that's why this station has 31.1 in the PSIP data.
post #2904 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo11 View Post

The call letters are KDCU. It is the new Univision affiliate in Wichita. I saw an ad on KWCH for the new station looking for sales associates and the call letters were on the commercial.

If you would have scrolled up a tad more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Zephyr View Post

For those using OTA...have you noticed Wichita's newest full-power TV station?

KDCU-DT (Univision) is on RF channel 31, broadcasting 1MW from the old KSCW transmitter and tower, near Colwich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Is it mapping to 31-1 or 46-1?

- Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Zephyr View Post

31.1 for now...BTW...the call letters have yet to appear via the PSIP, yet.

Until they do, the virtual channel may be updated. We'll see.

jojo11, I was saying that until the KDCU call letters were encoded...that the virtual channel might change, since the PSIP didn't appear to have been programmed.

I saw more than one digital station's initial sign-on with their RF channel-1, for a few days, until they later programmed the PSIP.

But, since I too, am starting to see the ads on KWCH for a sales exec for "KDCU-31"...I'm now thinking that it will stay 31.1.
post #2905 of 3098
I see on the FCC web site that the owner of KFVT-LP 40 has filed an application in the last few days for a digital flash-cut, a good sign that that station isn't going away.

It rebroadcasts KSBI-TV in Oklahoma City.
post #2906 of 3098
KWCH-12 wants to further increase power, this time to 66.4 kW up from 33.2 kW. I imagine that once the FCC approves the channel swap with KSCW, they will attempt to have that power increase apply to KSCW-12.

- Trip
post #2907 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

KWCH-12 wants to further increase power, this time to 66.4 kW up from 33.2 kW. I imagine that once the FCC approves the channel swap with KSCW, they will attempt to have that power increase apply to KSCW-12.

No doubt.

KPTS needs a 3 to 6dB power increase! They have a horrible contour.

They've chatted about a translator downtown, but really need to focus on a taller tower and more RF power.
post #2908 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Zephyr View Post

No doubt.

KPTS needs a 3 to 6dB power increase! They have a horrible contour.

They've chatted about a translator downtown, but really need to focus on a taller tower and more RF power.

I never could understand why KPTS didn't try to work out an arrangement with the owner of one of the taller towers east of Hutchinson, they could use a side-mounted panel antenna and get essentially an omnidirectional pattern.
post #2909 of 3098
Fox Sports KC is now full-time HD on Cox

Around Sept 15: Cox adds TMC HD, MoreMAX HD, and MSNBC HD.

Enjoy
post #2910 of 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscableguy View Post

fox sports kc is now full-time hd on cox

around sept 15: Cox adds tmc hd

enjoy

yesssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Edit: I misread TMC as TCM, :-( but FSN-HD is still great news!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Wichita, KS - HDTV