or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Need ideas for 5.1 in the ~$2500 range
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need ideas for 5.1 in the ~$2500 range

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hey all,

I'm looking into finally getting a home theater setup. I started researching by just slogging through the entire forum, but I got a bit overwhelmed. So, I started this and I'm looking at ideas of where to start researching/demoing in hopes you can help get me a bit more focused. I'm looking at around $2500 for a 5.1 system AND receiver. This would be for a room about 15x18x9 and I'm guessing it would be about a 70/30 between listening to music/watching movies. I can probably push the budget a bit higher if you can think of something particularly awesome I should look at. If there's any additional information that I could provide that would be helpful in forming your recommendation, let me know. Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 10
Well you could go with a pair of Ascend Sierra-1 bookshelves, a Sierra-1 center, and a pair of their surrounds. For the subwoofer a Hsu Research VTF-2 or VTF-3 would rock a room that size. If you wanted to make it really special you could go with the NrT version of the Sierra-1s or do the upgrade later yourself down the road.
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hmm, I'll have to look into that, but it might be easier for me to get floor standing units since I really don't have much furniture with which I could set the speakers. Any ideas for a pairing receiver?

I'll definitely have to lean towards the VTF-2 because I live in a townhome and I don't want to completely piss off the neighbors
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRO View Post

Hmm, I'll have to look into that, but it might be easier for me to get floor standing units since I really don't have much furniture with which I could set the speakers. Any ideas for a pairing receiver?

It's been a while since I've shopped $1000-1200pr towers so I'll leave that to others. However unless you need a ton of volume you'll generally get a lot more sound quality bang for the buck with bookshelves and nice looking stands are only $100/pr on Amazon. Of course a lot depends on what you listen to and what you like. Speakers are the one part of a system that is subjective - very subjective, and subject to personal taste.

Quote:


I'll definitely have to lean towards the VTF-2 because I live in a townhome and I don't want to completely piss off the neighbors

Been there done that. In a townhome I'd put the subwoofer on an isolation pad. If memory serves an Auralex Gramma should be about the right size for a VTF-2 and be careful not to get the rear bass port near a shared wall.

An Onkyo TX-NR708 will power the Ascends fine, has all of the neat features that you're likely to care about, and has preouts should you ever want a to add an amp in the future. I have last years 707 driving Sierra-1s in my 12x18 bedroom and it's been a good little receiver. Just give it a bit of space for air circulation. For cables and interconnects I suggest saving a fortune by shopping Monoprice.com.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

It's been a while since I've shopped $1000-1200pr towers so I'll leave that to others. However unless you need a ton of volume you'll generally get a lot more sound quality bang for the buck with bookshelves and nice looking stands are only $100/pr on Amazon. Of course a lot depends on what you listen to and what you like. Speakers are the one part of a system that is subjective - very subjective, and subject to personal taste.

Yeah, I know there's going to be a lot of subjective comparisons to be done. I was just overwhelmed by choices and needed some help to narrow it down to a couple of options to audition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

Been there done that. In a townhome I'd put the subwoofer on an isolation pad. If memory serves an Auralex Gramma should be about the right size for a VTF-2 and be careful not to get the rear bass port near a shared wall.

An Onkyo TX-NR708 will power the Ascends fine, has all of the neat features that you're likely to care about, and has preouts should you ever want a to add an amp in the future. I have last years 707 driving Sierra-1s in my 12x18 bedroom and it's been a good little receiver. Just give it a bit of space for air circulation. For cables and interconnects I suggest saving a fortune by shopping Monoprice.com.

Thanks, I'll look into these options
post #6 of 10
The Denon AVR-1911 and 1611 can usually be found for really nice prices. Also, I run a Harman Kardon AVR-1600 that I bought for $250 from the Harman Kardon ebay store. It's refurbed but carries the same warranty as a new unit for less than half the price so I would look there at the AVR-1600 and 2600. Overall though, if I did it again I probably would have gone with one of the Denon's or the Onkyo mentioned previously because of more EQ options, but I'm not disappointed in my current receiver.
post #7 of 10
Look at this KEF package - and get the HSU subwoofer.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...Package/1.html
The Yamaha 667 is a good receiver and has pre-outs or,
go back to AC4L and look at the refurbish rreceivers.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Look at this KEF package - and get the HSU subwoofer.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...Package/1.html
The Yamaha 667 is a good receiver and has pre-outs or,
go back to AC4L and look at the refurbish rreceivers.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html
Wow, $1200 off? Is there something wrong with these speakers or is that just an awesome sale price?
post #9 of 10
Last week the price was $1,000,001,000!!!! What savings!!!

It is a good deal though...you can get he bookshelves for $200 and the towers for $800 anywhere, so basically you are getting the $300 center for free.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRO View Post

Wow, $1200 off? Is there something wrong with these speakers or is that just an awesome sale price?

That version is being replaced - they are good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Need ideas for 5.1 in the ~$2500 range