or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation.... - Page 147  

post #4381 of 7006
If the rumors are correct this is going to be one expensive box plus the word "mandatory" always rubs me wrong diffidently a wait and see and a good look at PS4
post #4382 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD View Post

MS really doesn't want me to buy their next console.

Sounds like they don't want my money either so far.
post #4383 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Sounds like they don't want my money either so far.

Lol this is the most in agreement everyone has ever been on this thread. tongue.gif
post #4384 of 7006
Every new durango rumor has been negative. Mandatory kinect, no 360 controllers, always on internet required, no used games, and weaker hardware.

It's hard to believe they could screw it up so bad. I won't have to worry about which console to buy if true though.
post #4385 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

Every new durango rumor has been negative. Mandatory kinect, no 360 controllers, always on internet required, no used games, and weaker hardware.

It's hard to believe they could screw it up so bad. I won't have to worry about which console to buy if true though.
The only rumors I believe are the specs that have been circulating, and those are somewhat dated. Everything else is coming from uncorroborated sources and from untrustworthy sites (Kotaku has a particularly bad record with rumors).

My sense is that most of these rumors are merely ideas that have been "floated" to test the waters.
post #4386 of 7006
Perhaps someone should start up a petition or some sort of campaign on their facebook page. If some negative publicity can be generated, some sort of change might be able to be had.
post #4387 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post

Perhaps someone should start up a petition or some sort of campaign on their facebook page. If some negative publicity can be generated, some sort of change might be able to be had.

Not likely. Changing even small gears at this point would probably sent them back half a year from their projected start. It'd be even more disastrous.
post #4388 of 7006
Not more disastrous than having their product flop.
post #4389 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post

Perhaps someone should start up a petition or some sort of campaign on their facebook page. If some negative publicity can be generated, some sort of change might be able to be had.
Internet petitions are like letters to Santa.

These big companies know and trust their market research. And they think consumers don't know what they want, even when consumers say they know what they want (or don't want). We have alternatives if we decide we don't like what MS does. And we have more alternatives than ever before for gaming. So if they don't get it right, they'll know. I have no brand loyalty, so I'm not too concerned with whether or not MS succeeds. As long as we continue to get good games from somewhere, I couldn't care less what happens to the next Xbox.
post #4390 of 7006
People keep saying MS doesn't want their money. It's probably spot on, they don't. They want all the Wii owners money. The people that don't buy consoles typically. Or they are trying to force a new standard into the gaming world, that I don't think they can do here. They are trying to force too many bad ideas at once. Start off with the kinect thing, it's not really a deal breaker. Then slide in some always on internet. Move into the no used game thing some other time.

Maybe that is their plan, software "upgrades" like all the dashboard updates we got on 360. I can't imagine they believe all of these options are going to drive sales up, or drive sales anywhere else but down.

The best petition you have to sign is not buying it. When it flops, they begin to change the things that killed it.
post #4391 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Lol this is the most in agreement everyone has ever been on this thread. tongue.gif

Yep.
post #4392 of 7006
I am trying to not jump to any conclusions about these rumors, but the idea of kinect having to be on does bug me. That means they are going to push hard for all games to include features, and I would rather have developers work on making the games better, not focusing on letting me yell at my tv and wave my hands around.
post #4393 of 7006
As a dad of 3 kids who leave their 360's on in their rooms seemingly all the time, I see a huge liability requiring a kinect unit always on AND an always on internet connection. What if an underage kid gets ready for bed, changes clothing, gets ready to take a shower..... fill in anything a kid does in his/her room. Kinect is on... Can they guarantee 100% that no one can hack or see what goes on? No. Let a video get out that was taken from a kinect unit and MS Nextbox is dead. If the functionality is totally required for operation then the fix would cost as much in the end as the RROD debacle.

I am hoping that these rumors are just that. The not being able to share games in my house will most likely kill the console for me. add in the internet requirements and always on kinect and if the Sony product is even remotely more open, we will become an all sony house rather than the microsoft house we are now.
post #4394 of 7006
Sony is gaining more customers every minute here smile.gif Until they blow it on their announcement. Cross your toes they don't screw it up.
post #4395 of 7006
Always on Internet stinks too if its true. What if you lose your internet connection? I can't even play offline? Can't wait to see how all this shakes out. Looking forward to Sony's reveal.
post #4396 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Sony is gaining more customers every minute here smile.gif Until they blow it on their announcement. Cross your toes they don't screw it up.

If they do, Nintendo is already here and we know exactly where they stand on everything.
post #4397 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

As a dad of 3 kids who leave their 360's on in their rooms seemingly all the time, I see a huge liability requiring a kinect unit always on AND an always on internet connection. What if an underage kid gets ready for bed, changes clothing, gets ready to take a shower..... fill in anything a kid does in his/her room. Kinect is on... Can they guarantee 100% that no one can hack or see what goes on? No. Let a video get out that was taken from a kinect unit and MS Nextbox is dead. If the functionality is totally required for operation then the fix would cost as much in the end as the RROD debacle.

I am hoping that these rumors are just that. The not being able to share games in my house will most likely kill the console for me. add in the internet requirements and always on kinect and if the Sony product is even remotely more open, we will become an all sony house rather than the microsoft house we are now.

Actually I think sharing within a house is the one thing that'll get infinitely easier this gen. If they do enforce the no used games policy, each code will tie to your account. Then you theoretically could install the game to every console in your house. It works that way with digital releases right now, but having to have a separate gold account really drives the price back up again. Sony is way ahead here - most games are now coming out digital on day one, and you get to install no questions asked to two PS3s. It used to be 5, they might raise it back up again. And no gold tax per account.

I think they're going to end up matching whatever the other does when it comes to used games, installs, etc. So it won't be a differentiating factor between the two. But that XBL gold tax may make it or break it for multi-console houses.
post #4398 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

If they do, Nintendo is already here and we know exactly where they stand on everything.
I would rather just stick with this gen if that was the case, I have no interest in anything from Nintendo.
post #4399 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

Every new durango rumor has been negative. Mandatory kinect, no 360 controllers, always on internet required, no used games, and weaker hardware.

It's hard to believe they could screw it up so bad. I won't have to worry about which console to buy if true though.

It is really amazing to see the metamorphosis of opinion from everyone on this thread as we get closer to the witching hour of late 2013 or 2014 release. BD2003 is right. We finally seem to have consensus of agreement! MS rumors SUCK big time for all of us. You are right Monger...They won't have to worry. Most people will just keep their XBox 360s...say no thank you MS...and move on down the road. Devs will quickly figure this out. And realize the vast undertapped goldmine lying in the gigantic XBox 360 install base. They will conclude...Thank you very much MS...and dual launch their XBox Durango titles in multiple disk lower settings format for the XBox 360...with choice enabled/disabled kinect codes. And roll in the dough. Used game retailers will worship at the altar of Devs for giving them content to push. And they will push Multi disc X360 hard at the expense of XDurango.

Of course if that comedy of errors actually materialize from these rumors...Steve Ballmer will have hair permanently tarred to his bald pate...feathered...and run out of town as the ultimate XBox villain. But it sure seems like he is heading down this path.
post #4400 of 7006
I just keep thinking "they can't really be this stupid, can they"? I know that they really want Kinect to work out, but there is a reason that it hasn't caught on the way they wanted. I keep telling myself that I will get the Xbox no matter what, since all my friends and my brothers will jump on it, but with my gaming time falling off thanks to work, the gym, and most importantly my two sons growing up and wanting to get involved in after school stuff, I just can't give enough reasons to buy a console that I won't really like using. Making me do Kinect crap isn't the way to go, and as much as I love XBL and think it is better than PSN, I can't justify spending the money when I only play 2-3 days a week at most.
post #4401 of 7006
Kinect was released in November 2010. They have sold 24 million Kinects since its release. That is almost as much as the original Xbox sold in a four year span. Kinect has caught on to deny that is to stick your head in the sand to try to avoid reality.
post #4402 of 7006
And how many of those sit and collect dust. I know of 8 people alone in my small town that bought one when they came out and played stuff on them and now they just sit there. I am betting that there are a lot of people out there that have done the same.
post #4403 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

It is really amazing to see the metamorphosis of opinion from everyone on this thread as we get closer to the witching hour of late 2013 or 2014 release. BD2003 is right. We finally seem to have consensus of agreement! MS rumors SUCK big time for all of us. You are right Monger...They won't have to worry. Most people will just keep their XBox 360s...say no thank you MS...and move on down the road. Devs will quickly figure this out. And realize the vast undertapped goldmine lying in the gigantic XBox 360 install base. They will conclude...Thank you very much MS...and dual launch their XBox Durango titles in multiple disk lower settings format for the XBox 360...with choice enabled/disabled kinect codes. And roll in the dough. Used game retailers will worship at the altar of Devs for giving them content to push. And they will push Multi disc X360 hard at the expense of XDurango.

Of course if that comedy of errors actually materialize from these rumors...Steve Ballmer will have hair permanently tarred to his bald pate...feathered...and run out of town as the ultimate XBox villain. But it sure seems like he is heading down this path.

I'm not sure they go that far. There may be some overlap on 360/720 games in the early going, but I suspect that as long as Sony does not go in that direction, all the games will be on PS4, as only the ignorant and the retarded will purchase a 720. The backlash will be swift and violent. It's the early adopters who will be the most knowledgeable about these systems. They are the evangelists. It is one thing to be in a situation like Nintendo is with Wii U, where there simply is no buzz about your system and people either don't know it exists or don't care. It's another thing entirely to piss off the people who would have told everyone else how awesome your new machine is. If these rumors are true, they better have a KILLER gimmick.
post #4404 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

And how many of those sit and collect dust. I know of 8 people alone in my small town that bought one when they came out and played stuff on them and now they just sit there. I am betting that there are a lot of people out there that have done the same.

How many millions are being used every day? I use mine everyday how many other millions of people use theirs to control video like I do?
post #4405 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Kinect was released in November 2010. They have sold 24 million Kinects since its release. That is almost as much as the original Xbox sold in a four year span. Kinect has caught on to deny that is to stick your head in the sand to try to avoid reality.

As much as people poo poo Kinect, I don't mind it and enjoy using it from time to time. I don't think MS intends to make anyone use it the way it's used now. I think they are betting that if it's packed in with every system, the developers will find innovative ways to include it in their games. Part of the problem is that most of us in the first adopter's club would rather close that 50% RAW performance gap with PS4 than have an all new kinect included with our system. We'll take a high level GPU any day over kinect, particularly when most of us already have kinect.

However the additional problems of always online and no used games make this a non starter. As always, the caveat is how Sony treats these issues.
post #4406 of 7006
Devs will continue to push 360 and PS3 versions of their games for years. Odds are the 360 will remain the target platform until 2016 or longer. It is easier to build games that run on those specs and simply up the resolution and framerate for next gen.

This will also work out for Nintendo as the Wii U is very easy to port to from the 360. (the multiplatform games are basically the 360 code with minor tweaks like always on vsync) This will also encourage devs to keep making games for the 360 and PS3, as it will allow them to sell to much larger audience with little added work.
post #4407 of 7006
The biggest problem is people spinning rumors and speculations into fact. We have seen zero games for either system. We have seen zero evidence that any performance edge the PS4 may or may not have will amount to any perceivable difference when it comes to the games.
post #4408 of 7006
a lot of conclusions being jumped to based on rumors that may or may not have any basis in reality.
post #4409 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername View Post

a lot of conclusions being jumped to based on rumors that may or may not have any basis in reality.

Seriously... I bet the Mayans could sell these guys a nifty calandar too....
post #4410 of 7006
The used game kurfufel is actually the easiest for Sony, MS, Nintendo and all of the Devs to fix. And without the dangerous...over the top...reaction of banning purchased content from consoles they were designed and bought for. It's called a legal response...and it would work just as well with games as for music. These companies just appear to be too greedy and too lazy to do what is obvious. And that is to create legal agreement language within their purchase agreements with retailers that earmarks a 2% royalty to devs and 1% royalty to hardware makers for all used games sold to consumers. That's all they are entitled too IMO...because it is retailers who created the market and bare responsibility for the inventory burden. This could be managed easily by requiring retail to sell activation codes with all used game sales for no more than $4.99 that passes the credit back through to Devs and manufacturers in a straight credit/rebill transaction process. Why piss off retail partners for creating a new retail market? Just figure our a legal and financial way to engage them in their resale market!
Edited by barrelbelly - 2/12/13 at 1:46pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation....