or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation.... - Page 229  

post #6841 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The thing that makes me a little uncomfortable with kinect is less that I'm worried about MS spying on me, but more how it just takes over your living room. Especially now that the cheap wired headsets are no longer included and kinect is expected to be the basic voice chat.

Before, if someone was playing a game, they're in their own little world, the headset doesn't really pick up conversations around you. My wife could talk to me and it wasnt so public, it'd just quickly hit a button and mute if I had to. That's going away, there doesn't seem to be any easy one button mute switch. We've all heard the people with kinects in games, and you hear everything in their living room. And it'll be SO much worse now that everyone has one, with a camera.

Whenever the Xbox is on, everyone else has to basically assume everything they do in their own living room is potentially being broadcast to strangers, with the remote chance that they're potentially recording as well. It could be a game chat, there could be an open Xbox live party chat, there could be a Skype call. I just don't want anything remotely this *potentially* invasive like this in my living room, period.


The interview with Whitten(I think) says the kinect is not meant to replace the headset. But it does work. So they expect you to buy the new $50 headset accessory to have the complete "experience."
post #6842 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

You misunderstood me. I didn't mean a console that only plays games and nothing else. I mean a console that will let me play games without having to deal with all that other stuff.

Again, in what way do you have to "deal" with the ads, etc, on the Xbox dashboard in order to play games? The default action on the main screen of the Xbox 360 dashboard is to play the game in the drive, underlining game play as still being its primary purpose. You boot it up, hit A and bam, you're in your game. You can set it to automatically start a game if one is in the drive. I'm a big Rock Band fan and have the GoD version of RB3 installed; I hit DOWN (to Pins), A, A and it's up and running; I could do it with my eyes closed if I really didn't want to risk glimpsing an ad for a game or video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I'm completely paranoid about this too. My transformer tablet I flip upside down, I have the keyboard attachment to block the other camera. I throw my phone under a pillow or any other thing when I could be indisposed.

Me too. I avoid phones with front facing cameras and my phone is always laying back (camera) down, hooked to a charger, even when I'm using it at home with a BT headset (I don't tend to carry it with me). My tablet (a Nexus 7 whose only camera is front facing) is in a cover which is always closed when I'm not using it. I don't own a laptop and wouldn't buy one with a camera.
post #6843 of 7006
BD, I'm guessing that they will have a way to disable the mic. That's what I'm hoping for.
post #6844 of 7006
I think he means the fact that it is there. This generation invented the advertising on every page of your stupid console. You can't get away from it now. It was all those updates to the consoles we already owned. Not like you can vote with your dollars at that point.

I never liked the update to the 360 UI with all the little squares. I don't think it has anything to do with the ads, but I can understand the dislike.

I hate the layout of the verge website too it's kind of similar. I can't get used to the random squares of crap over there. I stick to engadget because I love the simple, old school layout style. Much the same reason I kept reading ve3d until they finally died. They kept to that old school layout.
post #6845 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

BD, I'm guessing that they will have a way to disable the mic. That's what I'm hoping for.

I'm sure there will be. But the kinect is going to add quite a bit to the cost of that console, and it's technology I want zero part of that's being forced upon me. And then I've got to buy another headset on top of that, because my old ones wont work. Both are huge strikes against buying into the platform at all.

And then you look at the PS4, and it probably wont come with a camera I wont want, that money will basically go towards the faster memory, which I very much do want. It'll probably still work with my old BT headsets (ironically, one of which is the official wireless MS headset), and the controllers have headset ports like the old 360 ones, and will probably have a cheap one packed in the box too. And there's a very, very good chance my wireless headphones with built in headset will work out of the box, because it's all standard PC connectivity on the Sony side.
post #6846 of 7006
LIVE also slowed down considerably when they updated the functionality to stream ads (among other things). Granted better hardware will make that a moot point, and it's why from the get go MS was pushing for 8GB of RAM, but it still was a trade off they decided was worth it on the 360 and undoubtedly doesn't do much for consumers front or backend.

It kinda like the used game thing. Add features that generate revenue but bank it all and pass it to shareholders as profit instead savings to customers.
post #6847 of 7006
Live runs just fine the way it is. It isn't slow for everyone.
post #6848 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

At least 4.

Killzone
Drive Club
Infamous 3
Knack

I don't know if Deep Down is supposed to be exclusive.


MS announced/showed 2. Forza and Quantum Break. Plus they announced that all COD DLC will again be released first on Xbox. So in half the time they basically revealed half the exclusives. MS saying there will be 15 exclusives in the first year. Again, sanity speaking here, we really need to wait until after E3 to go crazy over the consoles.
post #6849 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I gotta ask, how do the ads get in your way of gaming?

They don't. People just bytch because they are there and MS still charges for Xbox Live. Until I have to sit through an ad before I can play a game, it does not get in the way. As long as you can put the game in and it defaults to that tile so you can just hit A to start the game, I don't see how it could be in the way either.
post #6850 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtledog View Post

MS announced/showed 2. Forza and Quantum Break. Plus they announced that all COD DLC will again be released first on Xbox. So in half the time they basically revealed half the exclusives. MS saying there will be 15 exclusives in the first year. Again, sanity speaking here, we really need to wait until after E3 to go crazy over the consoles.
We're not allowed to be sensible on the Internet.
post #6851 of 7006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post


You all realize that phones, tablets, and laptops all have hackable cameras, too, right?

If somebody hacks the camera on my phone, they are going to end up with an amazing view inside the pocket of my pants, or they are going to have an amazing view of the ceiling above my dining room table. The Kinect is a bit different, because it's always supposed to be positioned staring right at your living room sofa area. Not up at a ceiling (when laying on a table), or inside somebodies pants pocket or jacket pocket.
post #6852 of 7006
I'm not worried about "hackers" doing fictitious things with my camera. I'm worried about Kinect being used for exactly what Microsoft seems to be intending it to be used for. I also am not going to spend the extra cost for a mandatory bundled accessory I have zero, ZERO use for.
post #6853 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

I also am not going to spend the extra cost for a mandatory bundled accessory I have zero, ZERO use for.

That's pretty much a phantom concern. I have no doubt that Xbox One will be priced competitively with PS4 and that it will be years before MS will be breaking even on it, even without the Kinect. If they didn't bundle the Kinect they'd charge you the same but lose less.
post #6854 of 7006
Paranoia
Definition
Paranoia is an unfounded or exaggerated distrust of others, sometimes reaching delusional proportions. Paranoid individuals constantly suspect the motives of those around them, and believe that certain individuals, or people in general, are "out to get them."
post #6855 of 7006
Okay, so we're paranoid. What's your point rolleyes.gif?
post #6856 of 7006
I'm looking forward to the day when all the people that don't want the Xbox move out of this thread. Continually bringing up the same points over and over is starting to get old. And before anyone thinks I'm a blind fanboy, I am skeptical too, but don't feel the need to continually post the same stuff over and over.
post #6857 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtledog View Post

They don't. People just bytch because they are there and MS still charges for Xbox Live. Until I have to sit through an ad before I can play a game, it does not get in the way. As long as you can put the game in and it defaults to that tile so you can just hit A to start the game, I don't see how it could be in the way either.

No more games from the drive so this goes away with Xbone.

On the camera note, electrical tape works wonders for cameras on phones, tablets and laptops. I cover them all.
post #6858 of 7006
So not trusting MS to not get into our business is paranoid? Which reality are you living in?
post #6859 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

We're not allowed to be sensible on the Internet.

biggrin.gif
post #6860 of 7006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I'm looking forward to the day when all the people that don't want the Xbox move out of this thread. Continually bringing up the same points over and over is starting to get old. And before anyone thinks I'm a blind fanboy, I am skeptical too, but don't feel the need to continually post the same stuff over and over.


Unfortunately, we are left with 10x more questions than answers right now, so all we can really do is speculate until more information comes forward. If the speculation really bothers you, then just avoid this thread, because I expect the speculation to continue until we have something more solid to go on.

Also, anybody that is continually posting in this thread, isn't doing it for their health. At some base level they have an interest in potentially jumping on the X-bone bandwagon. Otherwise, they are wasting a ton of time on something they should just forget about. I might have some negative things to say about the X-bone, but I still expect to purchase one the day it's available. Just because somebody has a few negative things to say about something, doesn't mean they are hating on the Xbox.

Put it this way... the wait for mid November is going to be excruciating, and countless hours will be spent on various forums arguing back and forth about every little innate detail. It's just the nature of the interwebs. Trying to fight it is pointless.
post #6861 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I'm looking forward to the day when all the people that don't want the Xbox move out of this thread. Continually bringing up the same points over and over is starting to get old. And before anyone thinks I'm a blind fanboy, I am skeptical too, but don't feel the need to continually post the same stuff over and over.

Blame Microsoft.

You can't just mention a huge new feature sets and ways of doing things, then not be prepared to talk about it or provide details that alleviate consumer concerns.

Nature abhors a vacuum, and they created quite the maelstrom with always on (plus always listening), needs a internet connection, games are tied to accounts and some sort of anti-used game policy. That a huge change from how consoles have functioned up to this point, and many of those things are seen as little to no benefit to consumers (as far as gaming is concerned). Apparently they didn't even have their spin machine ready to give out talking point for why these changes are good things.

"We've not ready" doesn't work when the cat is out of the bag. They should have been ready, or kept quite. Now we're all just kind of fiddling our thumbs and talking about the consequences and direct until they are ready.
post #6862 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

Physical disc in the drive to play. How is that hard to understand? Only one person can play it at a time. Everyone is happy...except maybe MS and the Xbone because they did not get a cut.

I'm not happy with that. That is one of the things I dislike about the 360. I hate having to always stick a disc in to play a game even though it has been installed on the hard drive.
post #6863 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Go ahead and give me a tin foil hat as well, because I can guarantee you that I'm going to disable the turn on by voice feature, and my Kinect is going to be facing my TV instead of my Sofa whenever I'm playing a non Kinect game. When I actually want to play a Kinect game (which will be rare), then i'll actually turn the thing around and have it facing the sofa. Also, when my xbox is in stand by mode, I'll probably have a small black cloth that will be draped over the Kinect just as an extra precaution.

Call me paranoid all you want.

I'm sorry, but I just don't trust megalithic corporations to do the "right thing".

??? So do you currently cover the camera on your laptop, tablet, and cellphone? If not then why would you cover the Kinect camera? Anyone one concerned about those issues would cover all the cameras in all their devices, since any of those can be used to spy on someone.
post #6864 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Being a fan of gaming is not the same thing as being a fan of a console manufacturer. I'm not a fan of consoles. But I love games.
Judging by the Gamestop CEO's response after the Xbone announcement, MS blind-sided used game retailers. They were just as surprised as we all were. No one thought that MS would go for the "nuclear option."
All internet connections on all devices are already "watching" us. Either you're cool with this, or you're not. It's a part of our daily lived experience. Kinect won't change that. I'm not paranoid, so that's not the part that bothers me.

My problem with it is that I just want to play games. I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of BS that gets between me and playing games. I hated the big NXE change that happened a couple years ago with the 360 OS. Absolutely flooded with ads and promos. Adding insult to injury, MS charges us for online play. Not long after the NXE switchover, I canceled my XBL sub because I just want to play games. And MS is continuing in this direction by making it even more of a pain just to play games. It truly boggles my mind that so many people are okay with this.

Nothing that has been added has prevented me or even hindered me from playing any games. Heck the entire reason I switched from PC to console games when the 360 came out was for multi-player games. That is why I was in love with PC games. But the 360 made it much better. So I have basically not touched a PC game since the 360 came out.

I played a couple of multi-player games this weekend. I turned my 360 on and hit select since the system comes up on a game disc you have in the tray ready to play. Nothing is hindering me from playing the game.. The only thing that would make it easier is not having to stick a stupid disc in the tray every time I want to play a game. That will be a welcome improvement with the XBOne.
post #6865 of 7006
I can't believe that so many people think their life is sooo interesting that others want to watch it. The reality is, no-one gives a sh!t about you. Get over yourself.

I think the XB1 is really innovative and can really make a difference in the way we control our entertainment. I just hope that the graphics don't suffer too much because of the GDDR3. In the end I will probably end up with both consoles anyway, like this generation.

Also, if I have to watch ads, I would much rather see ads that are catered to my interests.

Bring on E3!
post #6866 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

No, it is a common fallacy that costs have much to do with sales price or strategy. The console manufacturers feel they are leaving revenues on the table if they do not include other functionality. It has nothing to do with costs. If hardcore gamers flee a console because of the other functionality, I can guarantee that they will dial it back. People are not promoted and rewarded if they never make changes to increase revenues. Thus, you have New Coke and the Xbone telescreen. The public will decide if they are successful.

Consoles are famous for costing the manufacturers MORE than they sell them for, at least in the first few years. Even without any multimedia functions, the tech needed to satisfy gamers is very pricey. Sony is not putting in DDR5 because they feel like it. But they also know that the other functions help get these very expensive boxes into living rooms.
post #6867 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

You misunderstood me. I didn't mean a console that only plays games and nothing else. I mean a console that will let me play games without having to deal with all that other stuff. I can do that on my phone and tablet and laptop and PC, and those all do a lot more than play games. The one doesn't preclude the other.
You all realize that phones, tablets, and laptops all have hackable cameras, too, right?

Fair enough. But you're also paying the full freight for all of those other devices while the console is being subsidized. By now, no one should expect the exact same freedoms with two different classes of products.
post #6868 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

The interview with Whitten(I think) says the kinect is not meant to replace the headset. But it does work. So they expect you to buy the new $50 headset accessory to have the complete "experience."

This is a mistake IMO. Part of the reason Live was so successful on the 360 is that, for better or worse, everyone had a headphone.
post #6869 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos30 View Post

This is a mistake IMO. Part of the reason Live was so successful on the 360 is that, for better or worse, everyone had a headphone.

Yeah, I can't believe they went back on that. The new controller does have an I/O port of some kind though, so hopefully you'll be able to buy an adapter to use your own. But it'll need at least a cheap ADC and DAC, so it'll probably cost like $20 at minimum.
post #6870 of 7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos30 View Post

This is a mistake IMO. Part of the reason Live was so successful on the 360 is that, for better or worse, everyone had a headphone.

yup!!! great point
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation....