or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Pioneer VSX-1021 Owners' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer VSX-1021 Owners' Thread - Page 78

post #2311 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

Thanks for the info. I guess my search for a "small" (physical size), inexpensive amp has started, suggestions anyone?



That's a bit of a let down, but at least it'll solve my zone 2 woes.

parts express has any number of small inexpensive amps that might get the job done for you....
post #2312 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

parts express has any number of small inexpensive amps that might get the job done for you....

Thanks for the help...

I picked up polk atrium 65's, 125w, what size amp is recommended?
post #2313 of 2668
I own two Pioneer receivers (1021, and VSX-21), and have reccomended them to many of my family and friends; because of their price, user-friendliness, and reliability (everything still running).

At any rate, I'd like to know if I can use a VSX 1021 to power an outdoor system. The system will have 6 speakers (or 7 if one can be made mono, but doubt this is the case), is there a setting I can use to have each pair of speakers (FR, FL, SR, SL, RR, RL) all be playing in stereo pairs, from one source?
post #2314 of 2668
I got mine in January. I had it set up so the direct tv remote turned it,the tv and the dtv receiver on with one push of a button. That stopped working a couple moths ago and I can figure out how to get it working again!
post #2315 of 2668
Need a help on Airplay

I wish to play my iTunes from my Laptop directly to 1021 without adding a router.

Can i connect my laptop directly to 1021 via Ethernet Cable and iTunes ?

Thanks in advance !!
post #2316 of 2668
I think you can feed the signal to a amp via zone 2 but you cannot adjust the volume from the receiver. I would imagine that you could use an external volume control.

1121 I believe can adjust the volume from the receiver. I have both receivers and plan to daisy chain a couple of sonance amplifiers using the 1121.
post #2317 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb40 View Post

Have DirecTV HR21 input via HDMI to VSX-1021-K, output via HDMI to Sony BraviaXBR TV. TV does not support "Control with HDMI," nor ARC, so both set to off in VSX. TV sound output via optical to VSX for OTA channels. Worked fine 2/1/12 to 3/31/12. Then sound would go off sometimes when DirecTV source changed from HD to SD (such as a commercial) or after changing DirecTV channels. Could sometimes restore sound by turning VSX off/on (but not always), changing channels, unplugging from wall, etc. Later, VSX would respond strangely to volume control after sound went off, such as coming back on loudly at -75 db (say) setting, but go off again with a 0.5 db change; or come back on but not respond to volume control. DirecTV box set to output only 1080i with "Native" off. Do you see any problems with this setup? Is there a conflict between HDMI sound from DirecTV box and TV sound coming back to VSX via optical? Is there some selection that needs to be made with the remote to keep sound from going off? Thanks for your advice.
I took the 1021 to a local Pioneer repairman, who set it up and checked it out for over a week, and also called Pioneer about it, but couldn't get it to fail. They suggested that DirecTV was the problem. Brought it home and reinstalled it from scratch, using the Pioneer interactive approach (DirecTV is connected to BDR/DVR instead of Sat/TV). It's working fine so far. My guess is that I had something wired incorrectly, although I have no idea what it could have been.
post #2318 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by darshanjoshi View Post

Need a help on Airplay
I wish to play my iTunes from my Laptop directly to 1021 without adding a router.
Can i connect my laptop directly to 1021 via Ethernet Cable and iTunes ?
Thanks in advance !!
No. At the minimum you need an Ethernet switch but it's not simple with just a switch.
The router provides other network functions such as dhcp. Dhcp assigns network addresses, etc. Without it you must setup your network manually.
post #2319 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness View Post

I own two Pioneer receivers (1021, and VSX-21), and have reccomended them to many of my family and friends; because of their price, user-friendliness, and reliability (everything still running).
At any rate, I'd like to know if I can use a VSX 1021 to power an outdoor system. The system will have 6 speakers (or 7 if one can be made mono, but doubt this is the case), is there a setting I can use to have each pair of speakers (FR, FL, SR, SL, RR, RL) all be playing in stereo pairs, from one source?

I believe the setting is Extended Stereo - it's in the manual.
post #2320 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness View Post

At any rate, I'd like to know if I can use a VSX 1021 to power an outdoor system. The system will have 6 speakers (or 7 if one can be made mono, but doubt this is the case), is there a setting I can use to have each pair of speakers (FR, FL, SR, SL, RR, RL) all be playing in stereo pairs, from one source?

In Extended Stereo, you'll have three stereo pairs:
Front L/R
Surround L/R
Back Surround (or Front Wide or Front Height) L/R

And one mono summed channel:
Center

You'll want to avoid trying to run MCACC. And just a word of warning if you've never used speakers outdoors before. When there are no room boundaries, you will be amazed by how little volume you'll get from speakers you thought were loud. It can be very easy to overdrive a consumer receiver trying to get loud sound outdoors, a situation that causes amplifiers to clip and fry speaker coils. Use very, very efficiant, robust speakers in outdoor installations that will be asked to produce anything louder than background levels.
post #2321 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by darshanjoshi View Post

Need a help on Airplay
I wish to play my iTunes from my Laptop directly to 1021 without adding a router.
Can i connect my laptop directly to 1021 via Ethernet Cable and iTunes ?
Thanks in advance !!

If that's all you want to do, and you don't mind a cable, just connect an analog audio cable from the laptop's headphone jack to the AVR's fron-panel RCA audio jacks (that's the iPad input).
post #2322 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

If that's all you want to do, and you don't mind a cable, just connect an analog audio cable from the laptop's headphone jack to the AVR's fron-panel RCA audio jacks (that's the iPad input).

Thanks. But the quality is really poor, iPod plays much better. So wana try iTunes.
post #2323 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

No. At the minimum you need an Ethernet switch but it's not simple with just a switch.
The router provides other network functions such as dhcp. Dhcp assigns network addresses, etc. Without it you must setup your network manually.

Thanks. I do have a Wifi Router but unfortunately its in another room and no ethernet cable is laid down from wifi to 1021.
post #2324 of 2668
^^^
Go wireless with the 1021. I use a cheap Monoprice router in bridge mode to connect both my 1021 and blu-ray player to my wifi network. Either item 8071 or 8070 will work. The 150Mbps #8071 is about $26 including shipping, the 300Mbps #8070 is about $5 more. I've streamed 100's of hours over airplay and it's been very stable.
post #2325 of 2668
So I have my speakers outside setup (polk atrium 65sdi), hooked up to my b channel, and I'm using extended stereo. Is there a way I could set those speakers to large just for the b channel? I am not getting much bass to them and I believe that is a result of my living room settings (speakers set to small). I did setup the receiver to not be in front height speaker mode, it's setup to use the b channel as speakers separately, I just need to get some extra bass to the the b channel.

Any thoughts?
post #2326 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by darshanjoshi View Post

Thanks. But the quality is really poor, iPod plays much better. So wana try iTunes.

You asked this: "Can i connect my laptop directly to 1021 via Ethernet Cable and iTunes ?" What iPod? Why can't you connect your laptop to the 1021 with an audio cable and play music from iTunes? There is no reason why the quality would be any different than using AirPlay (and there are reasons it might be better).

But if you must use Airplay, you need a network. AirPlay is by definition a network technology. You might be able to use Bluetooth if you bought the Pioneer Bluetooth adapter for the 1021 (which is much more expensive than a wireless router), and could live with the audio quality degradation that Bluetooth imposes.
post #2327 of 2668
Just connected my new Smart Samsung TV to my VSX-1021 receiver using a high speed HDMI and I'm getting a grainy picture. I've tested the cable and the TV and they are good. This leaves the receiver. I've looked at the troubleshooting tips but this didn't help. In my System Set up, the Control with HDMI is set to ON and the Control Mode is set to ALL. Can someone give me any advice what I should do next?
post #2328 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniter View Post

Just connected my new Smart Samsung TV to my VSX-1021 receiver using a high speed HDMI and I'm getting a grainy picture. I've tested the cable and the TV and they are good. This leaves the receiver. I've looked at the troubleshooting tips but this didn't help. In my System Set up, the Control with HDMI is set to ON and the Control Mode is set to ALL. Can someone give me any advice what I should do next?

Try turning off the video processing. It's not very good on the 1021, and chances are it's better on your TV.

(I answered on the separate thread you started, but it's better discussed here.)
post #2329 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

So I have my speakers outside setup (polk atrium 65sdi), hooked up to my b channel, and I'm using extended stereo. Is there a way I could set those speakers to large just for the b channel? I am not getting much bass to them and I believe that is a result of my living room settings (speakers set to small). I did setup the receiver to not be in front height speaker mode, it's setup to use the b channel as speakers separately, I just need to get some extra bass to the the b channel.

Any thoughts?

nope... by definition, speaker b gets what speaker a gets...
post #2330 of 2668
Noobie Issue ----

I have DVR, Blue-Ray DVD and Xbox 360 connected to my 1021. DVR and DVD are connected via HDMI and also output to TV is HDMI. I have an older Xbox 360 with only coaxial connections. When I connect to the the receiver and set the input settings I only receive the audio (no video). Can someone help with me this. I believe there to be a setting somewhere I am missing but I can not locate it for the life of me.

Seen similar issues posted in previous threads but a solid answer was never stated, or clear to me. Thanks.
post #2331 of 2668
I've been searching for a while and can't seem to find similar issues, so here goes:

I have a seven-year-old 42" Philips Ambilight plasma and I recently upgraded my setup. Bought the VSX 1021K and also the Panasonic BDT2010. I have DirecTV and also Apple TV. All components run via HDMI to the VSX and I have one HDMI that connects to the Philips. It's about a 30' run from my components to the Philips. The issue is I get noise in my picture - constantly. Looks like snow pops. Also, periodically the screen will go to all snow / static, but sound will continue. If I switch inputs on the VSX and switch back, picture will reappear. Lastly, I lose picture periodically (blips to a green screen) and then it corrects itself. This happens periodically, but estimated about once every 30 minutes or so.

Crazy thing: I ran the HDMI direct from the DirecTV to the TV and it looks fine (so I ruled out the cable or the TV). Then I plugged the HDMI (from the VSX) into a small LCD TV and it worked fine. I returned the unit, picked up another one (both brand new) and it does the exact same thing.

Anyone know of / had this problem?

I just ordered the Panasonic GT50 today...been looking for a reason to upgrade to 1080p anyway, but I'm super frustrated.
post #2332 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

nope... by definition, speaker b gets what speaker a gets...

Ah, what a let down, the outdoor speakers sound like rubbish when set to small, and my speakers inside set to large sound a bit over powering.

With an amp and wired to zone 2 will I be able to set the outdoor speakers to large or a setting similar? My concern is that I am setup with a 7.1 system...and that I stream my music from my xbox so I'm under the impression I won't be able to use that zone 2 feater to an amp given the xbox outputs a digital signal...
post #2333 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

Ah, what a let down, the outdoor speakers sound like rubbish when set to small, and my speakers inside set to large sound a bit over powering.
With an amp and wired to zone 2 will I be able to set the outdoor speakers to large or a setting similar? My concern is that I am setup with a 7.1 system...and that I stream my music from my xbox so I'm under the impression I won't be able to use that zone 2 feater to an amp given the xbox outputs a digital signal...

Zone 2 requires an analog source. There is no bass management for Zone 2 when using its line output to feed a second amp; it would be that amp that provides the bass management.

I don't know anything about X-boxes. My PS3 outputs HDMI and analog audio simultaneously (as do my TiVo, Comcast STB, Roku, BD player, and HD-DVD player), so all my sources are connected via both digital and analog (actually the STB uses component, optical, and analog), with the analog sources feeding Zone 2. The wiring in back of my 1021 is a nightmare.
post #2334 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Zone 2 requires an analog source. There is no bass management for Zone 2 when using its line output to feed a second amp; it would be that amp that provides the bass management.
I don't know anything about X-boxes. My PS3 outputs HDMI and analog audio simultaneously (as do my TiVo, Comcast STB, Roku, BD player, and HD-DVD player), so all my sources are connected via both digital and analog (actually the STB uses component, optical, and analog), with the analog sources feeding Zone 2. The wiring in back of my 1021 is a nightmare.

I use the last fm app on my 360 to stream music outside. On the face of the 1021 it says dolby digital, that is why I mentioned it is outputting a digital signal. My ps3, 360, and cable box are all hooked up via hdmi as well. Maybe the 360 outputs digital and analog simultaneaously as well, idk. And from what it sounds like the second amp is what I really need to solve all my issues.
post #2335 of 2668
I got my VSX-1021 in February 2012, it has been working fine except I now have a "UE-22" (Update Error) message flashing on my screen. Everything works fine, just the flashing message. I tried updating the firmware via USB and the update feature informed me that no update was possible, I already have the most current firmware version.

I called Pioneer and Best Buy, both are telling me that I need to bring the receiver into the store and have them ship it out to a service center, 2-4 weeks turnaround. I told them I found this to be unacceptable and am waiting for a call back from a manager at Pioneer.

Anyone seen this error message before? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
post #2336 of 2668
My local Best Buy has the 1021-K open box for $200, with everything included, and the unit is in perfect condition. Is this a decent deal on this unit at this point in time?
post #2337 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlathe View Post

My local Best Buy has the 1021-K open box for $200, with everything included, and the unit is in perfect condition. Is this a decent deal on this unit at this point in time?

Full warranty, remote, and calibration mic included? I'd jump on it as long as you know it can properly drive your speakers.
post #2338 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmode11 View Post

Noobie Issue ----
I have DVR, Blue-Ray DVD and Xbox 360 connected to my 1021. DVR and DVD are connected via HDMI and also output to TV is HDMI. I have an older Xbox 360 with only coaxial connections. When I connect to the the receiver and set the input settings I only receive the audio (no video). Can someone help with me this. I believe there to be a setting somewhere I am missing but I can not locate it for the life of me.
Seen similar issues posted in previous threads but a solid answer was never stated, or clear to me. Thanks.

One option could be a full reset, maybe it will fix the issue.
it is explained in the manual. be aware it will remove all cals so you will have to do them again.
post #2339 of 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Full warranty, remote, and calibration mic included? I'd jump on it as long as you know it can properly drive your speakers.

All included, gonna bite. Just starting my build, wanted to get the focal point knocked out first. Thanks for your advice.
post #2340 of 2668
Thanks. I did do a full reset. I have moved some of the inputs around since I noticed on the set-up you can only select certain inputs for options. I placed the full analog on dvd (L/R audio and the the 3 HD video plugs in the assignable 1) option. I then went through and tried every know selection to man and can only get audio. I am not techy by far but shouldn't this be an easy issue to resolve????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Pioneer VSX-1021 Owners' Thread