Time for an update.
The service panel clean up is going fairly well. Took some time to learn-up on satellite in order to better plan the distribution area. I got most of the tangle out of the way, now I am just waiting on switching parts.
The security panel did not have any play in the wires, so I just called the company in to move it and deal with the splicing. So I am waiting on that too.
So in the meantime I'll do some IKEA hacking and put in the media shelf next to the rack.
Here is the space under the stairs where I want to have shelves for DVDs etc. :
I purchased an IKEA Billy bookshelf for $69. However it is going to be too tall for the space, so I chopped the sides down:
I have to create new holes for the dowlings and mounting hardware, so I lined up the removed pieces and did some markings:
Hmmm ... the dowling holes seem to be non-standard (or metric). Well, I have always wanted an excuse to buy one of those thousand-bit package deals you see at the big box stores, so I finally did. On the left is the little green box of drill bits that I have been using for almost 20 years, and on the right is the new wad of 300 various types of bits and sizes:
Good thing I have a large selection! The winning size was 19/64.
(the smaller holes are 3/16 for those that are interested)
Put it all together, frame around it, and voila !
I also had to jig-saw notches in the bottom for the trim that is going around the entire thing.
Well - now I have to focus on packing for our interior canoeing trip next week. We're bringing neighbours who have never gone interior camping before, so I want to be doubly sure we got everything in order.
("With the kids hockey out for the summer I'll have lots of time to work on the basement" .. yeah, yeah, sure, sure ...)