or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › New Mach 5 Audio UXL info
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Mach 5 Audio UXL info

post #1 of 752
Thread Starter 

This is some info I got from Mark tonight. I can't wait to get my hands on 4 of these.


Here are a couple of shots:
http://www.istonline.ca/download/proto-1.jpg
http://www.istonline.ca/download/proto-2.jpg

A short video of the excursion viewed using a strobe-a-scope. The noise
was everything on the bench rattling like crazy:
http://www.istonline.ca/download/proto.mpg

Here are some details you can share with the forum:

Voice coil is made by us, which uses a special Polyamide former instead of
aluminum. 40% lighter than aluminum, stronger and can withstand higher
temperatures. The coil will not generate eddy currents like aluminum
does, resulting in lower distortion. Voice coil will use aluminum wire
and glue that well exceeds the temperature of the magnet wire coating.

Cone is carbon fibre with pressed paper. very strong and sexy.

Motor made by us. Will have aluminum shorting ring to cut down back EMF

We are looking at ~33mm Xmax with Xlim at 44mm. This is the limit of the
basket design used.

In all, a serious step beyond the IXL. Listening tests thus far resulted
in comments of 'quick' and 'effortless'.


Edited by N8DOGG - 11/21/13 at 5:55pm
post #2 of 752
Good lord, that looks massive!
post #3 of 752
Thread Starter 
Yup, looking like it could be a doozy LOL
post #4 of 752
Sexyyyyyyyyyyyyy
post #5 of 752
when does the forum pre buy special begin???

I am in for one!!!
post #6 of 752
Thread Starter 
All I know is, I'm getting the first ones to test out
post #7 of 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

All I know is, I'm getting the first ones to test out

Looking forward to the results! Hope they can sell in Oz for what the last driver did
post #8 of 752
OMFG. Time to upgrade no doubt. DanLW should take a look at this!

We need a pre buy!
post #9 of 752
The old IXL looked pretty beefey, this takes it to a whole new level.
post #10 of 752
Hope they get rid of the fugly dustcap graphics or at least offer no graphics as an option.
post #11 of 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post

Hope they get rid of the fugly dustcap graphics or at least offer no graphics as an option.

My trusty Sharpie will take care of that.
post #12 of 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post

Hope they get rid of the fugly dustcap graphics or at least offer no graphics as an option.

these look awesome, but even better are the xmax/xmech specs... I agree, ditch the dustcap and its 100% than old... wait, whats pricing looking to be
post #13 of 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite View Post

these look awesome, but even better are the xmax/xmech specs... I agree, ditch the dustcap and its 100% than old... wait, whats pricing looking to be

That's a good point, at the old prices they would be a killer deal, but I have a sinking suspicion that won't be the case.
post #14 of 752
Hopefully no more than $400 for those of us in the US.
post #15 of 752
for 400 ill save another 65 for XBLL
post #16 of 752
Thread Starter 
They are not going to be the old prices guys, I think we all know that. Mark didn't say what his pricing goals were. The fact that they build them here and not in China may be a good thing for us consumers. He has all of the tools here to build so that make will make some savings for us. I really think the price will be around $325-350 per driver but thats just a guess. The old IXL's had a pure black dust cap option. I also hope he makes that an option as I'm not a fan of any graphics on my subs.

I love my old IXL's, for the money they are great subs and perform very well. Mark also said that he can build the new IXL's with the high roll surround like the LMS ultra no problems. It will change the specs a bit but nothing major.
Hopefully one day I'll go see them in person and take a few more shots for everyone.
post #17 of 752
To clarify - I like the Mach5 art design on its own. I just don't like ANY art on my subwoofers.
I don't even like the "grey" cone on my favorite woofer, the JBL 2226.
And I HATE silver or copper cones. Actually, I hate anything reflective. Including those shiny dust cap spikes on some subs.

More than one company has lost a potential sale from me because they had a great product, but couldn't keep it basic black like a speaker should be.
post #18 of 752
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post

To clarify - I like the Mach5 art design on its own. I just don't like ANY art on my subwoofers.
I don't even like the "grey" cone on my favorite woofer, the JBL 2226.
And I HATE silver or copper cones. Actually, I hate anything reflective. Including those shiny dust cap spikes on some subs.

More than one company has lost a potential sale from me because they had a great product, but couldn't keep it basic black like a speaker should be.

I agree, I want my stuff to blend in rather than stick out.
post #19 of 752
My wish list...

1. tall surround...
2. inverted dustcap
3. stitched tinsel leads
4. a ship date of wednesday ( my 50th birthday )


post #20 of 752
Thread Starter 
I was just thinking, with the 4 that I'm going to buy, I'll have 10x18's and 2x21's in my little room LOL If I can't kill someone with the bass or at least make them poop themselves, I'm gonna be very sad indeed
post #21 of 752
Well between these and what CSS is proposing,we Canadians will have a choice again to some good subdrivers.... the only thing is >>when?
post #22 of 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris View Post

Well between these and what CSS is proposing,we Canadians will have a choice again to some good subdrivers.... the only thing is >>when?

Quite soon....
post #23 of 752
I'm a newb but i'm pretty glad they are 10 minutes from my house.
post #24 of 752
Nice! It seems that the motor is bigger in the new model which should translate to more power handling. More Xmax and a shorting ring are nice additions. If the price is competitive, around $400, it should do well.

How about parameters such as power handling and sensitivity? Measurements of the sub? How about T/S Parameters like Fs, etc.? Also, on the old model, a 130L was recommended for sealed. Will the new model work better on a smaller box?
post #25 of 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ View Post

My wish list...

1. tall surround...
2. inverted dustcap
3. stitched tinsel leads
4. a ship date of wednesday ( my 50th birthday )

5. a 21" model
post #26 of 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

5. a 21" model

6. a 24" model with 40mm xmax.
post #27 of 752
We can build them as big as you want. How much $$ you got?
post #28 of 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski View Post

We can build them as big as you want. How much $$ you got?

6.1. for $79
post #29 of 752
Incidentally, the Underground looks to be a solid candidate for a 20-21Hz tapped horn. I'd like to see it available on the site at some point.

Not that I haven't blown my tapped horn budget for another year
post #30 of 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski View Post

We can build them as big as you want. How much $$ you got?

It would be badass if someone could build a 24-25", 33-35mm xmax driver for at or below the $750 mark.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › New Mach 5 Audio UXL info