or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Tangled
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tangled - Page 4

post #91 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Huntchback marked the last of the Disney musicals.

Mulan? Anyway, I enjoyed them both.
post #92 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Mulan? Anyway, I enjoyed them both.

ugh... and I'd worked so hard to forget that one
post #93 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

For me, on the other hand, this is the largest reason I haven't even seen Tangled yet.

Me too. I can't stand musicals.
post #94 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Me too. I can't stand musicals.

Yeah, I dislike them in general. There are exceptions, though (Moulin Rouge and the South Park movie, for example).

It's just that I have a particular dislike for the Disney style of musical. Don't get me wrong, I still love me some Aladdin, Mulan or The Lion King but I'd enjoy both of those movies more without the music.

Tangled was fun, light and breezy. But in the end it was just another Disney princess movie with some Dreamworks style modern winks, nods and anachronisms. And some musical numbers that range from forgettable to cringe-worthy. Great CG and fun characters, though.

Of all of the animated Disney musicals, Aladdin is about the only one where I'm kind of, sort of okay with the music. Then again, I'm also pretty far away from the target audience for Disney. I just happen to really enjoy animation.
post #95 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg5spd View Post

Yep, there's a dollar theater here in Bham, AL on Lorna Rd if you're ever in town. They recently updated the seats and equipment so it is pretty decent now. I saw the Fighter as well this week, another great movie. Here's the theater website, I'm thrifty!
http://www.carmike.com/showtimes.aspx?fct=5&tid=198

I wish that there was one here in Montgomery still.
post #96 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Yeah, I dislike them in general. There are exceptions, though (Moulin Rouge and the South Park movie, for example).

It's just that I have a particular dislike for the Disney style of musical. Don't get me wrong, I still love me some Aladdin, Mulan or The Lion King but I'd enjoy both of those movies more without the music.

They are actually done in the style of the Broadway musical. It isn't a "Disney" style that's used in those movies.

For the record I can't stand Moulin Rouge, but love South Park...and Disney.
post #97 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterthx View Post

for the record i can't stand moulin rouge, but love south park...and disney.

+ 100000
post #98 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

They are actually done in the style of the Broadway musical. It isn't a "Disney" style that's used in those movies.

For the record I can't stand Moulin Rouge, but love South Park...and Disney.

I like them all. I have countless Disney soundtracks and compilation albums. I loved the music from Moulin Rouge and thought Ewan and Nicole did exceptional jobs. Sweeney Todd is probably in my top 5 all time favorite movies. And yes I even liked the music from The Pirate Movie

Tangled music was not anything I'd put on the level of other Disney classics I'm just glad to see a pattern emerging of more character tunes on the return between this and Princess and the Frog. The number they did in the Duck tavern place was pretty enjoyable but was the only one that really stood out to me.
post #99 of 129
Moulin Rouge is the only movie I have actually walked out of after 10 minutes. My wife and I went and watched a different movie.
post #100 of 129
Lol, can't believe they apparently spent years making it too.
post #101 of 129
Moulin Rouge? Amazing movie, wonderful music.

Tangled was a good, fun movie, but the music was pretty awful.
post #102 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

Moulin Rouge? Amazing movie, wonderful music.

Tangled was a good, fun movie, but the music was pretty awful.

Elephant Love Medley and El tango de Roxanne were the stand outs for me in MR. I don't feel the music in Tangled was awful but it was not on par with previous works of Alan Menken.

All music aside I found the AQ/PQ to exceptional but to be honest it seems exceptional is kind of the norm with the Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks flicks. For some reason How To Train Your Dragon seems to wow me the most but Tangled was no slouch.
post #103 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Elephant Love Medley and El tango de Roxanne were the stand outs for me in MR. I don't feel the music in Tangled was awful but it was not on par with previous works of Alan Menken.

All music aside I found the AQ/PQ to exceptional but to be honest it seems exceptional is kind of the norm with the Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks flicks. For some reason How To Train Your Dragon seems to wow me the most but Tangled was no slouch.

I agree I love How to train your dragon better but my daughter will disagree with both of us there General Kenobi she loves Tangled and its no 1. I think will find most young girls will love Tangled, I have to admit I didnt mind it either
post #104 of 129
Eh moulin rouge was style with no substance for me. Music was forgetable and a bit painful to listen to.

Tangled music isn't all that much better.

Only normal actors singing that worked recently was chicago.

Tangled has a ridiculous budget, but from the foreign box office total, it seems to have made it up now.
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...d=rapunzel.htm
376 million, of course thats ticket gross...
post #105 of 129
Now that I've seen it, I actually do want to buy it despite my complaints about the music. And, of course, the coupon deals and discounts are all over. I guess I'll wait in the vain hope of seeing a sale. Even if it drops down to $20 on Amazon again, that might be enough to get me to pull the trigger.
post #106 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

..... And, of course, the coupon deals and discounts are all over. I guess I'll wait in the vain hope of seeing a sale. Even if it drops down to $20 on Amazon again, that might be enough to get me to pull the trigger.

Do you have a Target nearby? It will be $17.99 next week and there's a $5 Target coupon for Tangled that can be used too.

$5 Target coupon thread.
post #107 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post

Do you have a Target nearby? It will be $17.99 next week and there's a $5 Target coupon for Tangled that can be used too.

$5 Target coupon thread.

That... is perfect.

Thanks!
post #108 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post

Do you have a Target nearby? It will be $17.99 next week and there's a $5 Target coupon for Tangled that can be used too.

$5 Target coupon thread.

You rawk, thanks! Sale starts Monday??
post #109 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

You rawk, thanks! Sale starts Monday??

If it's in the ad, it would have to start on Sunday, right?
post #110 of 129
You're welcome guys. Yes, the sale starts Sunday.

Here's the link to the "4-17 Target sale thread" over at Blu-ray.com.
post #111 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jala12 View Post

Lol, can't believe they apparently spent years making it too.

Well, originally it was supposed to look like an animated oil painting and not straight CGI. So I can see it taking all those years.
post #112 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by eday_2010 View Post

Well, originally it was supposed to look like an animated oil painting and not straight CGI. So I can see it taking all those years.

I think he was talking about Moulin Rouge, not Tangled.

And... Tangled was supposed to look like an animated painting? I find that hard to believe because there's almost no texture at all where you'd expect such if that was the case. No arguing that Tangled looks great though. By far, their biggest visual accomplishments involved lighting, especially the translucence of leaves and foliage in the forest scenes.
post #113 of 129
Actually, I was talking about Mulan. But in any case I think I would have preferred the oil painting method as opposed to the CG approach but whatever.
post #114 of 129
Gotta agree, it's a huge triumph for animination where lighting is concerned. My wife and I don't even have any kids but we bought it as a blind buy and loved it.
post #115 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

I think he was talking about Moulin Rouge, not Tangled.

And... Tangled was supposed to look like an animated painting? I find that hard to believe because there's almost no texture at all where you'd expect such if that was the case. No arguing that Tangled looks great though. By far, their biggest visual accomplishments involved lighting, especially the translucence of leaves and foliage in the forest scenes.

The original version was supposed to look like an animated hand drawn painting but they had difficulty with it so they scrapped it and went full CGI.

This is a screencap from the test footage of the old version of Tangled when it was still called Rapunzel.

post #116 of 129
After several viewings, I think this is by far one of the most beautiful animated movies ever made, and bar none THE most beautiful CGI animation as well. This is a reference blu-ray all the way.

Its so expressive, vibrant, full of life. It easily stacks up with Disney's classics imo.
post #117 of 129
They used French Rococo artist Jean-Honore Fragonard painting, The Swing, as inspiration. I was disappointed when I read that they were going with plain CG instead of the animated hand drawn painting look, but the way they rendered the CGI with the lighting and high saturation made the movie look fantastic in any case.
post #118 of 129
I finally got around to watching this movie last night and it was awesome! This is definitely Disney's best CG animated film and their best overall movie since their hand drawn flicks from years ago. Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi were excellent in this!

Was the budget really that big for this film?? I thought Disney got out of the hand drawn business was because production of those films cost too much??
post #119 of 129
I liked the movie. It was nice of them to combine tradition a Disney musical with the humour of today's CGI animated movies. However, the music was disappointing, except for the song at the ruffian's bar.

The audio was sub-par. My biggest gripe was the center. It sounded closed in and too quiet.
post #120 of 129
The animators definitely put some care into this. Take a close look at the scene where baby Rapunzel is looking up at the mobile above her basinet... there are little references to things that appear later in the film.

The sun in the center, of course, but around the edges: a chameleon, a white horse, a cherub with a bow & arrow (like the old man at the pub), and a duck (reference to the Snuggly Duckling). The last icon, a bluebird, may be a nod to a French variant of the Rapunzel story called "The Blue Bird".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Tangled