Originally Posted by impu1se
Hello AVS! I'm new...been lurking for a while but I just bought this soundbar and installed it yesterday. LBJ your setup sounds excellent. I'm very impressed with the sound so far. Here is how I have it connected....if you guys have any changes please let me know. Also a few questions along the way...
TV: Sony KDL55NX810 (beast mode)
plugged into soundbar amp are the following:
Comcast Cable Box
Optical out from Xbox360
then we have:
Amp TV out to ARC input on the TV. (what is special about ARC HDMI?)
xbox 360 component video cables (ugh I know....it's old) to the TV. (any benefit to plugging in component audio cables to tv also?)
does that plug configuration sound right? I barely had a chance to play with it last night but will be tweaking and testing it all tonight.
1. my TV has BraviaSync...do I need to turn that on? I can control the sound for the soundbar through the TV but the numbers on the tv are double what the soundbar shows (soundbar = 15 / tv = 30). Is that normal? I guess I'm asking if I have to do anything special with the Bravia TV and Soundbar to make it sound as good as possible...
2. any way to hook up an ipod directly to the soundbar?
3. i know some TV's allow you see the amp on the tv screen but I couldn't get it to come up last night. is my tv capable/how can i do that?
4. I have seen "Audio DRC" mentioned a few times in this thread but I don't know what that means or what it is/how to adjust it.....
I think that's all for now. Thanks!!!!
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new system !
Please see my comments/recommendations to your questions below in blue
. Likewise I am sure others in this forum will have some advice too:
"(what is special about ARC HDMI?)"http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx "The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data “upstream” to an A/V receiver or surround audio controller, increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection."
1. my TV has BraviaSync...do I need to turn that on? Yes --this is a nice benefit to sync operations among your Sony equip using highspeed HDMI cables. E.g., Power on/of, audio control position control etc.
I can control the sound for the soundbar through the TV but the numbers on the tv are double what the soundbar shows (soundbar = 15 / tv = 30). Is that normal? Yes ..mine does this too ( see comment on page 24 of the manual, top left of the page)
I guess I'm asking if I have to do anything special with the Bravia TV and Soundbar to make it sound as good as possible...A little more complex but make sure. I always recommend that you set your bluray and/or game systems "audio -out" setting to bitstream (even the PS3 FAT and Slim). What this does is enables the Receiver to process the sound signal ( Dolby Digital/DTS etc.) instead of the player. If you have this set up correctly you will see the actual source audio formats like Dolby Digital or DTS etc displayed on the Receiver's front panel when in operations. If you are not processing bitstream then you will only see LCPM displayed on the 550W Receiver's front panel instead of the actual audio formats
. Note: if you choose this method ( to process bitstream you will lose the menu sound effects while scrolling through the menu on the bluray--but you should be rewarded with a better bluray sound track experience)Also if you don't notice much of a surround sound effect when playing a bluray then try turning off your players "surround sound out" function too. This allows the 550W to process the surround sound effect. Note the 550W sound bar is only capable of "virtual" surround sound so you will not hear the same full surround sound effect as a full 5.1 system.
2. any way to hook up an ipod directly to the soundbar? I use a free app called iMediaShare ( from App Store) to stream over my home network from my iPhone/iPad to the TV. (It's not a very stable app--but it is free)
There are are couple of other things you can buy:
- http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-Media-Cradle-TDM-iP50/dp/B001JEOS4U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ( not too sure about this one)
- Airport Express $99 http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/...s/airplay.html
- Apple TV $99 http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/airplay.html
3. i know some TV's allow you see the amp on the tv screen but I couldn't get it to come up last night. is my tv capable/how can i do that?This is an application called "Home Theater Control". It's only available on compatible 2011 Sony TVs and is located on the TVs "app menu"
4. I have seen "Audio DRC" mentioned a few times in this thread but I don't know what that means or what it is/how to adjust it.....The DRC setting enables Dolby Digital sound effects to be heard at a lower volume. see page 37 on the manual "This feature narrows the dynamic range of a Dolby Digital/DTS sound track for enjoying movies at low volume."
Hope some of this helps!