Originally Posted by LBJ2
Here's what worked for my set up:
1. Use high-speed HDMI cables only (1.4 HDMI) through your ARC HDMI port on your TV
2. Set your video/audio source E.g. Blu-ray player, PS3 Slim etc. to "bitstream" for Audio Digital Out (turn-off Linear PCM) Note:this does not apply to PS3 Fat leave that in LPCM mode
3. Turn off your TV speakers (use only the sound bar and SW--else you might get a "hollow" sound)
My current HT-CT550W settings that seem to make the biggest difference:AMP Menu
Level: CNT +4, SW +6
Tone: Bass +5 or 6, Treble +3
Audio: Dual Mono: Main? ( I am still deciding)
Sound Field: Movie
Note: For really BIG sound--try increasing the master volume +15 on the Receiver (independently) before you sync the TV volume with the Receiver Volume
Let me know what you think
Well, I took the plunge and picked up the 550W, and so far I am thinking I made a bad choice. But, based on yours and a lot of other recommendations from this thread, I am wondering if/hoping I am doing something wrong.
I am really only getting strong output from the bar itself, with the sub producing very little sound, just like the set-up I heard at Best Buy. I feel like the treble rebel right now, with a very non-pleasing, tunnel-like sound coming from this system. Based on several reviews I had read ahead of time, it seems this system takes some tweaking to get it right, so I am holding on to hope for better results, because right now my sound is far from the "room shaking" sound you seem to be getting.
A bit about my set-up:
- TV: KDL-52XBR9 (no ARC)
- Blu-Ray Player: BDP-N460
- Time Warner Cable High Def Box
- Nintendo Wii
- High Speed HDMI Cables going from Cable Box and Blu-Ray player to back of TV
- Optical audio cable from back of TV to 550W receiver
- Using your Amp settings
- 16x16 Family Room with 8 ft. ceilings
Questions I am really hoping you might be able to answer:
1) I think I already know the answer, but does it matter at all that this system is designed for a 3D TV, but mine is not?
2) Is there a way to get the most out of this system while leaving the TV speakers as an option for when we don't need the extra sound? This is why I hooked it up the way I did.
3) Any idea how to change my bitmap/linear PCM settings on my Blu Ray player? After digging through the audio menu options, I didn't see those options. Also couldn't find a DRC option if that matters?
4) Any other suggestions?
Sorry to bother you with this stuff, but you seems like the resident expert on this system, and I really want it to work. I was hoping this would be the simple replacement for an older Bose system, but so far it is anything but simple.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.