or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXD6000 Owners' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNXXD6000 Owners' Thread - Page 100

post #2971 of 3067
Hello fellow Samsung owners! My account is new but I've long been here and want to thank many of you for being a tremendous resource!

I have a technician coming to my house due to vertical banding (shocking lol).

My question is how do I definitively prove I have vertical banding to the service technician?

Typically I only notice this during live sports over a green field or the white ice of hockey, however the appointment is 9am-6pm and I don't have DVR so I can't count of their being a game on.

Is there a DVD I can purchase that 'tests' for banding or anything online I can download?

I 100% have vertical banding, but I just want to make sure I can prove this to the tech so I can get a new panel from Samung. Unless you're ultra sensitive to this issue (as many of us our) it can be hard to clearly show this defect.

Sorry for the long post and I thank anyone who takes the time to help me out here.

Thanks again!
post #2972 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungfan10 View Post

Hello fellow Samsung owners! My account is new but I've long been here and want to thank many of you for being a tremendous resource!
I have a technician coming to my house due to vertical banding (shocking lol).
My question is how do I definitively prove I have vertical banding to the service technician?
Typically I only notice this during live sports over a green field or the white ice of hockey, however the appointment is 9am-6pm and I don't have DVR so I can't count of their being a game on.
Is there a DVD I can purchase that 'tests' for banding or anything online I can download?
I 100% have vertical banding, but I just want to make sure I can prove this to the tech so I can get a new panel from Samung. Unless you're ultra sensitive to this issue (as many of us our) it can be hard to clearly show this defect.
Sorry for the long post and I thank anyone who takes the time to help me out here.
Thanks again!

First of all, I don't think you will find a 100% perfect panel.

Most Edge-lit LEDs will have some banding - but It shouldn't be on an all white, black or green screen.

I have seen banding primarily on greyish-very dim/dark screens.

I had to show banding today to a Samsung Tech - try to use sources that easily dispaly the issue.

If you have Internet access use Youtube videos or have the tech to pull up Test Patterns from the sevice menu.

Unfortunately, a new panel may be better or worse....

I have experience with 5 Samsung LED panels now....none have been perfect.
post #2973 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

First of all, I don't think you will find a 100% perfect panel.
Most Edge-lit LEDs will have some banding - but It shouldn't be on an all white, black or green screen.
I have seen banding primarily on greyish-very dim/dark screens.
I had to show banding today to a Samsung Tech - try to use sources that easily dispaly the issue.
If you have Internet access use Youtube videos or have the tech to pull up Test Patterns from the sevice menu.
Unfortunately, a new panel may be better or worse....
I have experience with 5 Samsung LED panels now....none have been perfect.

Thank you for your reply!

My main issue is that there is no banding when the picture is static - however when the camera pans left to right (like a downfield pass in football) it becomes very noticeable.

I basically bought the TV exclusively for sports, so this has been quite a disappointment.

I don't expect perfection and I know some people that watch don't notice the banding, but they weren't the ones footing the bill for the panel! I'd like to take my shot at the panel lotto another time lol.
post #2974 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungfan10 View Post

Thank you for your reply!
My main issue is that there is no banding when the picture is static - however when the camera pans left to right (like a downfield pass in football) it becomes very noticeable.
I basically bought the TV exclusively for sports, so this has been quite a disappointment.
I don't expect perfection and I know some people that watch don't notice the banding, but they weren't the ones footing the bill for the panel! I'd like to take my shot at the panel lotto another time lol.

Try this....

Video; demo of Test pattern for banding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXlXslYjbEg

Test pattern DVD download:

http://www.tvblink.com/index.html
post #2975 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Try this....
Video; demo of Test pattern for banding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXlXslYjbEg
Test pattern DVD download:
http://www.tvblink.com/index.html

Thank you so much for your help! This looks like it can be a tremendous resource. Now to figure out if I can burn this myself or if I have to bug a friend of mine!
post #2976 of 3067
Did anyone notice that the Amazon Instant Video App just got released for the 2012 Smasung TVs but not the 2011 models. I also found this on Cnet:
"A Samsung rep told CNET that the app will not be made available to 2011 Samsung Smart TVs at this time, but couldn't say whether that would change. The company also didn't specify whether the app would be coming to its Blu-ray players or other home theater devices." I think that is crock, we should all complain and Samsung should make it available for all of us.
post #2977 of 3067
The Panel Lottery continues.....The mild vertical and horizontal banding is too much...mad.gif

This time I created an online request with video evidence, talked to support and customer retention on the phone.

I was offered a Samsung Sponsored exchange through Best Buy store credit. cool.gif

Third Time's the Charm...I really hope so, as I requested another Panel (H303 if possible) .

I don't want to give up the 4 HDMI inputs, Ultra Clear Panel, Game Mode and other features that the E6000s will lack.

Despite all these problems I still believe Samsung can deliver an outstanding Picture.
post #2978 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Any one know where the panel hours are kept in the service menu? They seemed to have changed its location from the "c" models...

Anyone?
post #2979 of 3067
The Saga Contines...Service Appointment scheduled for Friday.

I really hope Samsung can find a banding free panel.
post #2980 of 3067
Hello All,

I've been reading through in search of any problems people have with the audio on a UN40D6300 or similar.
Specifically, I've been slowly losing audio such that now I have to increase the volume to 20 to 25 to properly hear the TV instead of the normal 5 or 6 it was when I first purchased the unit. This has begun occuring over the last month and a half. I thought it was me, but then my wife commented on how she too has to increase the volume significantly.

Has anyone encountered this? Any solutions/experiences? Thanks!

Also, a faint 3 or so inch horizontal dark line (not sharp but somewhat fuzzy) of roughly 1/8 inch thick has appeared 3 inches from the top of the screen across the verticle mid-point area. Is this banding? It can only be truly seen when the background shows lighter colors such as a blue sky/cloudy sky, or other such lighter colored backgrounds.

Thankfully I'm still within the 1 year warranty, so hopefully it will be taken care of...

Thanks for any comments.
post #2981 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsinCanada View Post

Also, a faint 3 or so inch horizontal dark line (not sharp but somewhat fuzzy) of roughly 1/8 inch thick has appeared 3 inches from the top of the screen across the verticle mid-point area. Is this banding? It can only be truly seen when the background shows lighter colors such as a blue sky/cloudy sky, or other such lighter colored backgrounds.
Thankfully I'm still within the 1 year warranty, so hopefully it will be taken care of...
Thanks for any comments.

I had the same problem and the 1 line turned into multiple horizontal lines across the whole screen.

The panel needs to be replaced...when the tech openes it up they can also test the speaker connections.
post #2982 of 3067
A New Hope..my service call just got bumped up to Tomorrow/Thursday.
post #2983 of 3067
Third Time's the Charm....3rd panel...much better (so far).

After 3 bad TVs and 2 bad panels....its Samsung LED done right or..?

So far this panel seems to be Banding Free....
post #2984 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Third Time's the Charm....3rd panel...much better (so far).
After 3 bad TVs and 2 bad panels....its Samsung LED done right or..?
So far this panel seems to be Banding Free....


I hope you are finally happy. How are your viewing angles? Mine are ****....
post #2985 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

I hope you are finally happy. How are your viewing angles? Mine are ****....

Happy is not the word I'd use.

Coming off the superior Samsung A850...this HDTV still has a few short-commings.

I'm just tired of the panel lottery...If this one doesn't work-out its time for the Samsung E550 Plasma.

The viewing angles are decent...no way as good as the A850's.
post #2986 of 3067
I think they gave me a panel on Steriods for the D6900.

It shows every little flaw and strengths the other panels didn't.

Its like the image processor is hyper sensitive.

Very faint banding showed up on grey dark 3D content.

The auto-diming is also super-sensitive ; the load screen on Sin City Blu-ray was crazy.

Overall an improvement, better black levels, more accurate color, but not as good as the Samsung A850 its replacing
Edited by PiratesCove - 11/7/12 at 6:10pm
post #2987 of 3067
Try other audio settings such as Music, or Movie, or Voice. I find the apparent volume changes when the different audio selections are used. I usually leave mine on Movie for everything. I think the choice for audio can be set for each input so the TV is different than the STB and DVD.
post #2988 of 3067
Samsung have agreed to replace my 2011 UN55D6000 - If they do not have a 2011 unit in stock then I assume they will replace it with a 2012 set. I guess my question is what would be a comparable set?

The Series 6 LED's do not have the "Ultra Clear Panel" that the UN55D6000 has. You have to go to the Series 7 and above to get that. Any advise as to what TV I should be expecting?
post #2989 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardgnz View Post

Samsung have agreed to replace my 2011 UN55D6000 - If they do not have a 2011 unit in stock then I assume they will replace it with a 2012 set. I guess my question is what would be a comparable set?
The Series 6 LED's do not have the "Ultra Clear Panel" that the UN55D6000 has. You have to go to the Series 7 and above to get that. Any advise as to what TV I should be expecting?


Either the ES6100 or ES6500 most likely.

D6000=ES6100

D6400=ES6500
post #2990 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardgnz View Post

Samsung have agreed to replace my 2011 UN55D6000 - If they do not have a 2011 unit in stock then I assume they will replace it with a 2012 set. I guess my question is what would be a comparable set?
The Series 6 LED's do not have the "Ultra Clear Panel" that the UN55D6000 has. You have to go to the Series 7 and above to get that. Any advise as to what TV I should be expecting?

You also might get the UN55EH6000: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55eh6000/4505-6482_7-35159624.html
post #2991 of 3067
I also only keep it on Movie.

Having said that, Samsung replied via email and told me to do a few things - namely reset to factory. This cleared up the audio issue but not the apparent banding (actually only one band...but still).

Now I'm curious to know if they'll be sending someone over to fix or to evaluate it. They've requested all my contact info so I presume they will send someone... Any comments on that? What have all your experiences been with this stage of the process? How bad does the banding need to be or do they just say, "yup, I/we can confirm at least one 'band', we'll replace it."

Thanks all!
post #2992 of 3067
Guys,

I'm SUPER frustrated. I have just swapped out my second Samsung display in two weeks, and and I'm trying to pinpoint a problem. I can't tell if it's internet related, signal related, or display related.

Here's the deal -

I purchased a new Samsung LED 55" 3DTV a few weeks ago from BB. (Model UN55ES6500F. I started noticing some behavior that isn't very good about a week ago. Took it back and got another one, and still seeing the below problems which has me really suspicious.
I'll try and explain it the best way that I can. On multiple HDMI sources I have image issue. I see the same behavior on my Panasonic BD player, as well as my XBOX 360 source.

Couple things going on here.

1) It's not native to scenes with moving video. It occurs on still menus, or when a video is paused. Result is a stutering, shaking image.
2) Black staticy lines pop in from the side of the TV on still and moving images. The best way to describe is that it almost looks like "interference" on the screen. But definitely noticable to the eye. It's not really screen tearing, because it occurs on a still image as well. (like a menu).

Can anyone help me with what might be going on here? All of my sources are HDMI. The only place I haven't really noticed the problem is on my Comcast source.

I have posted a few videos for reference for people

Here - Skip to 00:50: http://youtu.be/XZmRrqVDVZQ Watch carefully.
Here - http://youtu.be/kbQEPURoG6g (even more noticable).

Any advice is appreciated. Are there things I can try or is this a potentailly defective set?
__________________
Edited by eiger - 11/4/12 at 8:04pm
post #2993 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger View Post

Guys,
I'm SUPER frustrated. I have just swapped out my second Samsung display in two weeks, and and I'm trying to pinpoint a problem. I can't tell if it's internet related, signal related, or display related.
Here's the deal -
I purchased a new Samsung LED 55" 3DTV a few weeks ago from BB. (Model UN55ES6500F. I started noticing some behavior that isn't very good about a week ago. Took it back and got another one, and still seeing the below problems which has me really suspicious.
I'll try and explain it the best way that I can. On multiple HDMI sources I have image issue. I see the same behavior on my Panasonic BD player, as well as my XBOX 360 source.
Couple things going on here.
1) It's not native to scenes with moving video. It occurs on still menus, or when a video is paused. Result is a stutering, shaking image.
2) Black staticy lines pop in from the side of the TV on still and moving images. The best way to describe is that it almost looks like "interference" on the screen. But definitely noticable to the eye. It's not really screen tearing, because it occurs on a still image as well. (like a menu).
Can anyone help me with what might be going on here? All of my sources are HDMI. The only place I haven't really noticed the problem is on my Comcast source.
I have posted a few videos for reference for people
Here - Skip to 00:50: http://youtu.be/XZmRrqVDVZQ Watch carefully.
Here - http://youtu.be/kbQEPURoG6g (even more noticable).
Any advice is appreciated. Are there things I can try or is this a potentailly defective set?
__________________
Just a shot in the dark really but sometimes you can get something like that if the source is set at 24p and the tv is set at 60Hz. It can stutter or shake because the signal is not being interpreted properly. Make sure BDP and tv are both at 60 or both at 24. This would explain why the cable looks ok because it can only be 60. If there is an "auto" option for "pull down" try that.
Edited by Bond 007 - 11/5/12 at 1:54am
post #2994 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Anybody got a Samsung LED without Banding?
I have a Samsung tech scheduled for next Thursday.....

I had banding on all 3 of my 55D8000 panels, no banding on my 55ES8000
post #2995 of 3067
I am an owner of a UN46D6000 and I loved it when it worked. Not sure if anyone else has this problem but this thread is 100 pages long and its pretty tough to search through it all lol.

I purchased this tv last year December. I just came back from a deployment and my tv is now broken. frown.gif was so excited to come back to it too lol

When i turn it on, the screen flashes but stays black. Then the red power light flashes.

My wife said that before the TV started to not work permanently the picture would sometimes go out while she was watching her show, black screen but would still have sound . She would turn it off then turn it back on and everything would be ok. But maybe 30 minutes later the screen will fade to black and only the sound would be working. So now the tv doesnt turn on at all except for a slight flash and the blinking of the power light.

Has anyone had this problem or know anything about it? Unfortunately i lost my receipt and AAFES says they can only recover receipts within the past 45 days so i cant claim this on warranty.

Any help is appreciated!!
post #2996 of 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiinkle View Post

I am an owner of a UN46D6000 and I loved it when it worked. Not sure if anyone else has this problem but this thread is 100 pages long and its pretty tough to search through it all lol.
I purchased this tv last year December. I just came back from a deployment and my tv is now broken. frown.gif was so excited to come back to it too lol
When i turn it on, the screen flashes but stays black. Then the red power light flashes.
My wife said that before the TV started to not work permanently the picture would sometimes go out while she was watching her show, black screen but would still have sound . She would turn it off then turn it back on and everything would be ok. But maybe 30 minutes later the screen will fade to black and only the sound would be working. So now the tv doesnt turn on at all except for a slight flash and the blinking of the power light.
Has anyone had this problem or know anything about it? Unfortunately i lost my receipt and AAFES says they can only recover receipts within the past 45 days so i cant claim this on warranty.
Any help is appreciated!!
First of all, Thank you for your service. ALWAYS register your electronics if you didn't. Sounds like a bad power supply. All I can think to do is call Samsung and see if it is worth servicing. If you do have to replace it at least its close to Christmas time and you can get a good deal. Dont know how much you use the SmartTv part but the 46eh6000 is basically the replacement but better in my opinion (it is full LED or "Direct Lit" instead of edge lit) except it is not Smart. You will probably be able to pick one of those up for about $600 if you are patient.
Edited by Bond 007 - 11/6/12 at 3:48pm
post #2997 of 3067
The next step in my adventure has a technician coming out once the part arrives. He spoke with me over the phone and suggested that, based on my problem description, that the main board needs to be replaced. Failing that, then the lcd panel will be replaced. That's where it's at at the moment.... I'm curious to see the result.
post #2998 of 3067
Hey Hiinkle

What is the date of manufacture on the back of the TV? Even if you don't have the receipt, if the a warranty claim is made WITHIN a year of the manufacturer date, then they should be willing to warranty service it. Failing that, if it is 'close' then you might just get lucky and they'll honor it. Don't hold your breath though, but don't give up either. I contacted Samsung through their website and provided my serial number as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiinkle View Post

I am an owner of a UN46D6000 and I loved it when it worked. Not sure if anyone else has this problem but this thread is 100 pages long and its pretty tough to search through it all lol.
I purchased this tv last year December. I just came back from a deployment and my tv is now broken. frown.gif was so excited to come back to it too lol
When i turn it on, the screen flashes but stays black. Then the red power light flashes.
My wife said that before the TV started to not work permanently the picture would sometimes go out while she was watching her show, black screen but would still have sound . She would turn it off then turn it back on and everything would be ok. But maybe 30 minutes later the screen will fade to black and only the sound would be working. So now the tv doesnt turn on at all except for a slight flash and the blinking of the power light.
Has anyone had this problem or know anything about it? Unfortunately i lost my receipt and AAFES says they can only recover receipts within the past 45 days so i cant claim this on warranty.
Any help is appreciated!!
post #2999 of 3067
Bond 007

I would call samsung but im in germany. Idk how it works or if it works the same as the states. I tried setting up a service call online (or at least i think?) but it asked me to upload a reciept within 5 days. If i didnt then the request would be cancelled. So I didnt go through with that. Thanks for the input though! I may just look up that tv you mentioned!

MarsinCanada

I didnt see a date but if i remember correctly when i put in my model code and serial number on the samsung website for request for service, it said my manufacture date was 6/30/11. So i'm probably out of luck there lol.

I guess this isnt a common problem lol ill just have a tv repair company come take a look at it frown.gif thanks for the help!
post #3000 of 3067
Update on the service (or lack there of) regarding the "dark smudges" on screen:

The first service center (Hi Def Doctor) representative came over to see my problem, he told me that he was going to order in the new panel. 2 weeks later, repair ticket was cancelled without any notice and Hi Def Doc failed to pick up phone calls whenever I called throughout the whole week.

Okay.

Called Samsung up to switch my service center to USSI. USSI called, told me to e-mail the problem. I did. Now they're saying they can't help me with this, I need to call Samsung.

Okay.

I called Samsung, now they're telling me that this dark smudge is "image retention" and is not covered by the warranty. Which is absolutely not true. Dark smudge is not created by the same way an image retention is created. At this point, it's obvious that Samsung is just trying to save the cost by dragging this thing long enough until my warranty expires.

It's also pretty clear that I won't be buying any big ticket items from Samsung in the near future.
What else can I do? I mean, I'm still under warranty, yet Samsung refuses to acknowledge the problem and fix it.


I'm thinking about selling this on craigslist and moving onto the next brand, anyone know which brand has better customer support?
Edited by mknlb50 - 11/8/12 at 7:55am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXD6000 Owners' Thread