or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Ubisoft annouces Rocksmith a new guitar based music game utilizing a real guitar
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ubisoft annouces Rocksmith a new guitar based music game utilizing a real guitar - Page 13

post #361 of 410
If it was DLC to speed up the load times, I might be willing to shell out the $30 asking price. But otherwise, I've got no bass, so not much point for me.
post #362 of 410
I thought DLC was limited to $19.99 or less.
post #363 of 410
There is no hard limit to DLC pricing. In addition, we have had plenty of $30 to $40 season passes and $50 shooter subs. I have no idea where you may have gotten the $20 number from.

The most expensive XBLA games are $20, but that isn't even a hard rule.
post #364 of 410
Maybe it's the XBLA thing from the Rockband Blitz pricing discussions I've been reading.
post #365 of 410
Just released a big Queen pack yesterday. Awesome.
post #366 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

Just released a big Queen pack yesterday. Awesome.
See this. Pack includes "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Stone Cold Crazy", "Fat Bottomed Girls", "Keep Yourself Alive" and "Killer Queen" for $12, $3 each ala carte. Not too exciting for RB3 pro g/b players, inasmuch as "Fat Bottom Girls" is the only song in the pack which does not have pro g/b charts available for RB3.

I question the choice of "Bohemian Rhapsody"--there is no guitar in that song for the first 2 minutes.
post #367 of 410
Not a fan of the DLC they've released for this. The initial song choices were great and varied, but the subsequent DLC has been heavy on '80s and '90s-era power rock. Guess they've tapped into the gray-hair crowd trying to relive the glory days of playing guitar in their parents' garage. rolleyes.gif

I'd much rather see newer stuff make the cut (and, no, including the entire song catalogue of The Black Keys doesn't count).
post #368 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Not a fan of the DLC they've released for this. The initial song choices were great and varied, but the subsequent DLC has been heavy on '80s and '90s-era power rock. Guess they've tapped into the gray-hair crowd trying to relive the glory days of playing guitar in their parents' garage. rolleyes.gif
I'd much rather see newer stuff make the cut (and, no, including the entire song catalogue of The Black Keys doesn't count).

Breakdown of dlc by year (and this doesn't include those 3 christmas songs redone)
70's and before- 15
80's - 4
90's - 9
00's and later - 18

You can't complain about not releasing newer songs and then discard 4 of the new songs (Black Keys comment). Even if you did, that would be 14 for 00 and later. 80's and 90's have been the least represented.

I definitely haven't liked several of the songs they've released (vampire weekend, three doors down, megadeath), but I think it's unfair to say it hasn't been varied in both style and decades.
post #369 of 410
As the recent Facebook meme has reminded me "How many of you think of the '90s instead of 2002 when someone says something happened 10 years ago?" I guess I just think of songs from the '00s as being from the '90s. tongue.gif

I'll just chalk it up to my skewed perception. Looking at the DLC list of songs from the 2000s, it's a bunch of stuff I'm just not that into (emo, pop-punk, and white-boy blues). Even then, most of it's still a good decade old. The only truly "new" music I see in that list is the song by Vampire Weekend and the song by Foster the People.
post #370 of 410
I don't care for most of the newer music dlc that they have released either. I do like the Black Keys, but their last couple of albums have been sub par. I really can't think of a lot of new rock I would even want to see. Maybe some stuff from Jack White's new album, although their isn't a lot of guitar heavy songs there. JEFF the Brotherhood would be great for RS, but I don't see that happening. The new Tenacios D album has some songs that would also be fun to play.

Could care less about most of the paint by numbers rock that's out right now (shinedown, five finger death punch, shinedown, my chemical romance...). Give me grunge era stuff, old blues stuff and rock from the 60's and 70's and I'll be happy. As long as they keep releasing a lot of different styles, I won't complain though.

I'm only 27, but I kind of feel like an old fogey when it comes to the new rock out there now. There are some good bands, but nothing they play on the radio a lot really interests me.
post #371 of 410
I haven't been very excited by all the Rockband rehash DLC for this game.
post #372 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

There are some good bands, but nothing they play on the radio a lot really interests me.
What is this "radio" you speak of?

But seriously, you won't find good music by listening to the radio. There's plenty of fantastic guitar-based music that's totally new, and it isn't from bands whose heyday was ten or twenty years ago. The War on Drugs, Chromatics, Real Estate, etc. Hell, toss in some Dustin Wong and Ponytail for a real challenge. More than enough options. I'm an old man of 36, and I regularly listen to new music. I enjoy the old stuff as much as the next person, but what keeps me excited about music is the new stuff.

I mean, the original tracklist for Rocksmith had some surprisingly good, new stuff. White Denim, Best Coast, Titus Andronicus, etc.
post #373 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

I haven't been very excited by all the Rockband rehash DLC for this game.
That's a problem for them--how much overlap do they have with RB3 pro g/b players? Do they deny what I'd presume is the majority of their players all of the good stuff in the 286 RB titles with pro g/b charts? Conversely, should HMX avoid putting the good stuff from RS in their library? They didn't avoid licensing the songs in the GH library.
post #374 of 410
this music existed long before Rock Band. so to say it's a Rock Band rehash is kind of crazy. good music is good music. Is it the job of Ubisoft to find unknown songs that haven't been discovered by Harmonix?
post #375 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

this music existed long before Rock Band. so to say it's a Rock Band rehash is kind of crazy. good music is good music. Is it the job of Ubisoft to find unknown songs that haven't been discovered by Harmonix?
There's no mystery behind why so many Rock Band and Rocksmith songs overlap. These are songs whose "seal has been broken," so to speak. They're songs that have already been brokered for use in video games, so a lot of the hard work has already been done. It makes Rocksmith's licensing job a lot easier since those channels have already been opened between music publishers and game publishers.

The only reason "quality" is even relevant is because the licensing folks for Guitar Hero and Rock Band negotiated for songs they thought of as classics or hits. Part of that negotiation likely involved pushing some lesser-known songs by newly acquired artists that music publishers wanted to get publicity for. Fast forward a few years, and that process has gotten easier, but also probably more expensive for game publishers as music publishers have tightened the purse strings and libraries. In turn, that means it's much much easier to just license the tracks that everyone has already licensed to death.

Yet another reason why I'd love to see some newer material rather than the same old stuff.
Edited by confidenceman - 6/15/12 at 12:21pm
post #376 of 410
I believe the next DLC will be songs from the rock of ages movie.

I've decided not to get any more DLC on xbox until the new bass set is out. I'm going to buy the PC version of the game in October instead. So far away though.

I just can't practice the songs at the level I'm at with the tools they have anymore. The manual speed setting is a must for the fast solos. I've been trying to get my 90k qualify score on the Titus Andronicus song, but the solo is just a mess. I'm not even sure how the song thinks I'm at this level. I don't remember getting an intermediate version of the riff it's throwing me on this particular song. I get discouraged from practicing every time I see the riff on screen. I practice this song at least once, every time I play the game though. I get to the solo and just fumble through it and end about 5k from qualify score. I actually have it qualified, but I know it was pure luck, because every time since I hit about 85k. I've been avoiding the rest of the songs on the set list too until I can consistently get the required qualifying scores for each of the songs in it.
post #377 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I just can't practice the songs at the level I'm at with the tools they have anymore. The manual speed setting is a must for the fast solos. I've been trying to get my 90k qualify score on the Titus Andronicus song, but the solo is just a mess. I'm not even sure how the song thinks I'm at this level. I don't remember getting an intermediate version of the riff it's throwing me on this particular song. I get discouraged from practicing every time I see the riff on screen. I practice this song at least once, every time I play the game though. I get to the solo and just fumble through it and end about 5k from qualify score. I actually have it qualified, but I know it was pure luck, because every time since I hit about 85k. I've been avoiding the rest of the songs on the set list too until I can consistently get the required qualifying scores for each of the songs in it.
I think it takes a few run-throughs for the game to fine tune the difficulty to each section. But sometimes there are just those songs that when the difficulty gets kicked up just one notch, it becomes a lot tougher. Haven't gotten stuck on anything in particular, but I'm still working my way up the ladder. I've only managed one Master level song, and I'm still at level 9. Lots still to do.
post #378 of 410
I'm at level 9 now, after my restart. I actually mastered about 4 or 5 songs, after the first master I just started rolling in them. There are quite a few songs that are really easy to master, if you put the time in. I have not even attempted to play them in master mode though.
post #379 of 410
I'm sure I could put a Master setlist together and get through it just fine (especially if they're the chord versions). But I decided I would just let the game throw at me what it wants to throw at me. I've been assuming that at a certain point, I'll need to master tracks in order to qualify. Figured I'd just wait until then.
post #380 of 410
So $30 for the upcoming bass DLC seems pretty steep. Does it add bass tracks for all on-disc and DLC songs to date, or just the on-disc ones?

I might wait for the Christmas time-frame and see if they release a "GOTY" version that includes the bass upgrade and cable, since those hit the bargain bin pretty quickly and I'll need a second cable if I buy a cheap bass and want to rock out with my wife.
post #381 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

So $30 for the upcoming bass DLC seems pretty steep. Does it add bass tracks for all on-disc and DLC songs to date, or just the on-disc ones?
I might wait for the Christmas time-frame and see if they release a "GOTY" version that includes the bass upgrade and cable, since those hit the bargain bin pretty quickly and I'll need a second cable if I buy a cheap bass and want to rock out with my wife.

I felt the same way, particularly since future editions of the game will have it rolled in, for the same price we early adopters paid, but I got shouted down in the RS thread on RB forums by people likening it to GOTY editions of other games, not without a point. But yes, it does include bass charts for all existing songs.

The bass feature is out as DLC on Tuesday--here's a video demoing the feature:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #382 of 410
The other thing that's coming with the DLC (which I'm not buying, although I want it...gotta wait for the pc version) is the manual speed tool. The thing everyone's been asking for and is going to help people learn songs by leaps. I can't wait to learn all the fast parts I've put off because of the tools currently in the game.


I've been playing the hell out of the Allman brothers song Jessica, all I need to master it is the endless bits of solos at the end, I've leveled most of them to 80-100%, but I still need help getting it to sound right. Being able to slow it down and play the actual riff at a slower pace will help immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I felt the same way, particularly since future editions of the game will have it rolled in, for the same price we early adopters paid, but I got shouted down in the RS thread on RB forums by people likening it to GOTY editions of other games, not without a point. But yes, it does include bass charts for all existing songs.
The bass feature is out as DLC on Tuesday--here's a video demoing the feature: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Yeah I said the same thing in the RS forums. They have a point, but it still doesn't feel right to me. It's very steep price IMO. Maybe because I bought it with the expectation that it would be a free download later.
post #383 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I also want to see actual video of someone playing. I would like to know how accurate the thing is. Seems like a pretty advanced software title that can decipher what you're playing just from the tone coming from the pickup.

I am assuming it will work a lot like those electronic guitar tuners do in terms of picking up the note that is being played.

If all those players who played the other guitar based games would play this one we'd see how good they really aren't biggrin.gif
post #384 of 410
I feel weird that you're responding to a year old post of mine.
post #385 of 410
I just started up playing again since the patch. I'm working on Space Ostrich using accelerator, adjusting the speed sure helps on that song no doubt. I've unlocked only three songs since I restarted Boss, Space Ostrich and Jules. At lvl 4 with those three songs in the set. My other profile when I first started is pretty far out there with a 8 song set list. I burned out I think at lvl 7 or 8 back then. With the speed adjustment it really makes this game a better learning tool indeed!
post #386 of 410
I just wish you could continue into the next sections, instead of popping out into the menu system again. There were quite a few bits of the endless solo on the Jessica song that were just impossible to learn, and even hear what you're supposed to be doing without slowing it down. It's a huge help, now I just have to train my fingers to move that fast... Been a couple weeks since I played that song, I need to get into again.

I am excited to get the pc version, and another cable so I could potentially get another person to play with me. But so far the only person that is interested is my 6 year old nephew. Although it's fun teaching him to play (until he gets frustrated) he can barely hold the guitar. I'd love to play with someone closer to my level.
post #387 of 410
did you add any Rocksmith players to your friends list? yeah, there's no online multiplayer but you could always jam together and do chats.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/614804-Looking-for-Rocksmith-friends-on-Xbox-Live?p=1532329&viewfull=1#post1532329

Hanger84 - Slightly advanced. Been playing guitar for 10 years.
DJdarkness73
Rayndog3
pokez fan 93
KorbenDls
evergimp

Xx El Kino xX - played guitar for 3 years
blindguy20 - I'm a noob
Ohgrr
MAD WIL
SpreeQueen
WamphyrLord314
ssrjazz
XODUS79
DarrylRocker
HammerTime64
The Canerdian
- My very first guitar
vwWILL I AMvw
blacksvtcobra
Derranged POJO
LordDad
LvlNinety9
- I'm not the greatest but I'm not a beginner either. I'd say I'm pretty close to being intermediate.
machine9233 - first time playing a guitar
WearierJester XL Gold
DETH TORNADO
- have been playing about 15 years. not much better than a beginner, but I have been reading tabs and guitar mags for about 20 years, so I may be able to help people
CheeZuS H RicE
BWA ILIVESTRONG
- I am a beginner/intermediate
guitarzanespltd
Mixed Herbs
- I've been playing for about 7 years so I can help out anyone with technique questions. I also know how to set up guitars properly.
mrgone64 - Been playing for over 10 yrs but injured my left hand 2 yrs ago and have no feeling in my index and middle fingers which makes things a little more difficult.
VLC MACKEY - I can help people and would also like to know some settings for the amps.
oneoddgerbil
evilhomer711
- Play RS pretty much daily, been playing guitar off and on for 15 years.
Dylholio - I've been playing guitar for about 3 or 4 years off and on. Just recently got back into it with the help of Rocksmith.
alpha187
HayabusaJack
- Started taking lessons dec 2010 so I'm a newb.
Draconian HoD - Been playing since the start of 2006, I'm a major gear/pedal head when it comes to guitar. I'm more into powerchords and single note runs than I am into acoustic style strumming....but Rocksmith is getting me better at that, and I also need to work on soloing,....
IntenseQuasar8 - I am somewhere around the intermediate level, I have hit MM on about half of the in-game arrangements and I am willing to offer whatever tips I can.
DILLEMORE - I play a little UFC3 to
CloudFuel ...I can mentor. I have been playing guitar since 2002 and my latest work includes Lamb of God's - Laid To Rest and Machine Head's Locust (to give you an idea of playing skill).
explorer05 - never played before but getting better. I pratice about 2 hrs a day. It is a zero in my gamer tag not a letter o
Ekffazr - played 8 years took 8 years off. I study alot of music theory as well
vic75 - Im Not the best Guitar player but you can add me just mention Rocksmith in friends request
Sapper Dragoon - I played guitar 25 years ago, but put it down in the early 90's. I picked it back up when I got Rocksmith, which I've been playing for 4 months, level 10. Look me up, maybe we can offer each other tips.
TacomaGoat - Just mention Rocksmith in your friend request
sickofthescene - i know i know but i really dont feel like playing to change it, only been playin a few months but have mastered 10-15 songs...still feel like a complete newb tho
post #388 of 410
That's not the type of playing I'm interested in. Playing the game over xbox live would not be the same experience.
post #389 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I just wish you could continue into the next sections, instead of popping out into the menu system again. There were quite a few bits of the endless solo on the Jessica song that were just impossible to learn, and even hear what you're supposed to be doing without slowing it down. It's a huge help, now I just have to train my fingers to move that fast... Been a couple weeks since I played that song, I need to get into again.
I am excited to get the pc version, and another cable so I could potentially get another person to play with me. But so far the only person that is interested is my 6 year old nephew. Although it's fun teaching him to play (until he gets frustrated) he can barely hold the guitar. I'd love to play with someone closer to my level.

For the PC I've been using Guitar Rig 5 and recording RS on it, set the speed and loop it.smile.gif I got GR5 working using just my PC audio cables and 1/4" headphone adapter plugs it didn't cost me a cent. I never did get the RS USB cable to work with GR5 even though ASIO control panel see's it active GR5 just refuse's to see it. Load up the ASIO drivers install GR5 plug in your cable to the line in from your PC to your Axe. Get the other PC cable and run that from the PC's speaker out to my Amp Can. Using onboard audio with ATi drivers and it sounds great, especially when you do a solo sounding just like Randy Roads.



Edited by Nimo - 8/31/12 at 3:59pm
post #390 of 410
I got the RS cable to work with Guitar Rig. See if this helps:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Ubisoft annouces Rocksmith a new guitar based music game utilizing a real guitar