or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 85

post #2521 of 3823
Does Onkyo only put there manuals on disc and not in book form?
post #2522 of 3823
At this point yes ... just as Denon is doing.
post #2523 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

At this point yes ... just as Denon is doing.

Thanks, I asked in a couple of threads and was beginning to think I was missing the paper one.
post #2524 of 3823
Thanks for the quick reply JDSmoothie, I was inclined to think the same, but I was hoping someone who has actually done this, would chime in before I purchase a $30 adapter to be sure.

Do you know if the UP-A1 dock will allow the album art to be displayed on the TV?
post #2525 of 3823
^^
Perhaps you will still get a user to chime in ... often times that isn't the case so I will generally make an educated guess so at least the OP isn't left hanging. Adding a dock enhances the experience as it will not only display album art but will also play videos as well.
post #2526 of 3823
Anyone know where I could get the .apk to sideload this? Amazon app store doesn't have it and Google marketplace says my device isn't compatible. Which is generally BS, as I have sideloaded other apps that Google says won't work and they work fine.

Any help/advice appreciated!
post #2527 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve771 View Post

Anyone know where I could get the .apk to sideload this? Amazon app store doesn't have it and Google marketplace says my device isn't compatible. Which is generally BS, as I have sideloaded other apps that Google says won't work and they work fine.

Any help/advice appreciated!

Google "onkyo android apk" turned up several direct download websites. Pick your poison and have at it.

I installed this a few weeks ago on my Galaxy Nexus, and was surprised at how well it worked. Not a bad app. Personally, I doubt I'll use it that often, but maybe for pool parties as a zone 2 remote.
post #2528 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Google "onkyo android apk" turned up several direct download websites. Pick your poison and have at it.

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned I know how to use Google already. And I did say ANY help/advice appreciated. My bad.
Googling gives back a lot of entries, all of which were dead ends, pop ups, dumps back to the Google App Store, whatever. At least the 20+ or so I had checked.

If anyone knows a reliable site for the .apk, that would be great.
post #2529 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

Does Onkyo only put there manuals on disc and not in book form?

My brother's 609 came with a real paper manual.
post #2530 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

Thanks, I asked in a couple of threads and was beginning to think I was missing the paper one.

I just got my 609 on tuesday from Crutchfeild and it came with 2 paper manuals, 1 in english the other in spanish and french.
post #2531 of 3823
Hello, I'm a total newbie, so please pardon if my questions sound ignorant... I just hooked up my 609 barely 4 hours ago, but I ran into a strange problem -- when I first connected the composite input into the cable/sat port, it automatically stretched the picture into full 16:9 wide screen (even though I couldn't see much improvement in the upscaling quality, it was displaying at 1080p.) However, after making some cable adjustments by unplugging the said cable and re-plugging the connectors, the output to the TV was stuck on 4:3 ratio, even though the monitor indicated the signal was 1080p. I went into the picture adjustment section of the menu, and had to switch the setting from "Auto" to "Full" in order to stretch out the picture.

Later, I went ahead and power-cycled the 609 & tested the Picture Adjust setting again, and the problem seemed to have gone away (the composite signal was displaying at 16:9 even at Auto mode, as it was supposed to.) But I am now wondering if the video processor is somewhat faulty? Has anyone experienced similar issues?

And on a side note, how much improvement am I supposed to expect from the Marvell Qdeo chip (applying to composite signals)?
post #2532 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark07 View Post

Has anyone with the TX-NR509 been able to successfully set up the Onkyo iPhone app? I have it downloaded but the 509 is not displayed in the list of receivers in the app.

VERY late reply, but maybe someone else needs an answer.

I too had difficulty with the Onkyo app on an iPhone 4s. Whenever I would unlock my phone and go straight into the app, I had no control of the Onkyo. If I waited for wi-fi to show as connected, there was no issue.

Cliffs: Wait for wi-fi signal to make a connection to device, then open Onkyo app.
post #2533 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyworld View Post

Hello, I'm a total newbie, so please pardon if my questions sound ignorant... I just hooked up my 609 barely 4 hours ago, but I ran into a strange problem -- when I first connected the composite input into the cable/sat port, it automatically stretched the picture into full 16:9 wide screen (even though I couldn't see much improvement in the upscaling quality, it was displaying at 1080p.) However, after making some cable adjustments by unplugging the said cable and re-plugging the connectors, the output to the TV was stuck on 4:3 ratio, even though the monitor indicated the signal was 1080p. I went into the picture adjustment section of the menu, and had to switch the setting from "Auto" to "Full" in order to stretch out the picture.

Later, I went ahead and power-cycled the 609 & tested the Picture Adjust setting again, and the problem seemed to have gone away (the composite signal was displaying at 16:9 even at Auto mode, as it was supposed to.) But I am now wondering if the video processor is somewhat faulty? Has anyone experienced similar issues?

And on a side note, how much improvement am I supposed to expect from the Marvell Qdeo chip (applying to composite signals)?

Maybe just a glitch from when you initially had the cables set up. I wouldn't think it was faulty, unless the issue returns.
post #2534 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyworld View Post


And on a side note, how much improvement am I supposed to expect from the Marvell Qdeo chip (applying to composite signals)?

I'm not familiar with the technical ability of the Marvell chip, but I think there's always going to be a limit for improvement of composite signals, because the signal just isn't there to improve. I think it's less the chip's fault, and more the fact that composite doesn't provide enough information for the chip to make a drastic improvement. I think it's the same way that everyone talks about SD content looking terrible on HDTVs, because suddenly the lack of quality of the signal is much more evident and pronounced.

Just my take on it though. I could be wrong.
post #2535 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoWobble View Post

I'm not familiar with the technical ability of the Marvell chip, but I think there's always going to be a limit for improvement of composite signals, because the signal just isn't there to improve.

AutoWobble is right. Its like if you were going to upscale to 4K - a 1080p source upconverted to 4k will look much better than an SD source upconverted to 4K. Likewise, a well-mastered digital DVD signal read raw directly from the player will look a lot better than a composite input. The Composite signal is very limited in both size and color resolution.

The signal will look bad not because its upscaled, but moreso because its always been that way, and once you get used to HD's resolution and wider color gamut, the deficiencies of older technology stick out a lot more when you go back and look at them.

The QDEO will improve the upscaling over something cheap, but don't expect miracles.
post #2536 of 3823
Quick question: Can an owner of the 609 please confirm that it measures 6.8 inches from the bottom of the receivers feet to the top of the receiver?
post #2537 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

That's not what I meant by switch. That's got a physical "switch" on it. I was thinking more along the lines of one of these (obviously, it doesn't have to be exactly this one, but you get the idea):

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-...8808886&sr=1-9

Thanks for the info. I've found myself switching from netflix to pandora and back having to think for a minute why it's not working (I'm using a manual switch). Can I assume this switch would go back and forth automatically?

Anybody else using the "vtuner"? Picked up Imus on AM WABC77 the other morning. Radio Paradise rocks.
post #2538 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_allan View Post

Quick question: Can an owner of the 609 please confirm that it measures 6.8 inches from the bottom of the receivers feet to the top of the receiver?

same as the 509, 6 13/16" or 6.8", make sure you leave room for air flow.
post #2539 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post

same as the 509, 6 13/16" or 6.8", make sure you leave room for air flow.

Thank you for the quick response. I'm placing my order today!
post #2540 of 3823
Hi -

Looking for a lower cost receiver; only need 5 channels (max), but thinking that networking might be handy. So far, the only 5 channel AVR (any brand) I've seen that has networking looks like the TX-NR509 - anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks
post #2541 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post

Thanks for the info. I've found myself switching from netflix to pandora and back having to think for a minute why it's not working (I'm using a manual switch). Can I assume this switch would go back and forth automatically?

Yes. I use an old WIFI router with NAT and DHCP turned off as a switch. I can plug up to 4 devices into it. Then a single Ethernet cable connects it to the 8-port switch in my distribution panel, which itself connects to my router. Ethernet can be switched multiple times in cascade with no loss in speed.
post #2542 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

Hi -

Looking for a lower cost receiver; only need 5 channels (max), but thinking that networking might be handy. So far, the only 5 channel AVR (any brand) I've seen that has networking looks like the TX-NR509 - anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question...I have a 509 and am very happy with it. $257 on black Friday.

The amount of listening options via vtuner internet radio is unbelievable.
post #2543 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

Does Onkyo only put there manuals on disc and not in book form?

You can get a PDF copy off of Onkyo's website.
post #2544 of 3823
Anyone watch this movie through the 609 or any receiver? Picture was the grainiest I have ever experienced in a BR disc. I put in Transformers 3D and it played flawlessly. Must have been the discs. I am asking because Moneyball was the first movie I played using the 609.
post #2545 of 3823
I watched Moneyball with my 609 receiver and had no problems. The picture was BR good!
post #2546 of 3823
I have HDMI handshake problems, i'm thinking it's the TX-NR509 that causes them.

When i set up my new system consisting of a Samsung C7160 STB box and a old Samsung LE-40M61B TV i got blue flickering picture, after turning off and on the Onkyo i could in the end get picture.

I thought it was because my TV was old and there was some compatability problems with the Onkyo so i bought a new Sharp LC-46LE831 TV, after connecting the new TV i could get picture but sometimes when watching the screen would go blank and i would still hear the audio.

To get picture back i had to turn off Onkyo and Sharp TV and if i was lucky i get a picture again for some time until it went blank again.

I know the Samsung STB box works as i had it connected to my old TV for 2 years with no such problems, all these problems came with the Onkyo added to the chain.

My solution to this now is to run the Samsung STB box directly to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV and then use HDMI ARC to get audio out from the TV to the Onkyo amp.

This solution works, no blank screens.

When browsing the net it seems Onkyo have a large share of HDMI handshake problems and why is Onkyo more affected than others? badly designed equipment?
post #2547 of 3823
^^ I have something similar although not as bad. About one in ten times i turn on the TV i get audio from the 609 but no video. Turning the TV off and back on does the trick, annoying.
post #2548 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likvid View Post

When browsing the net it seems Onkyo have a large share of HDMI handshake problems and why is Onkyo more affected than others? badly designed equipment?

It's not the AVRs that have the issue, rather the various cable/sat boxes as many weren't properly designed with HDCP certifications or to be connected to an HDMI repeater (ie. AVR). Although another work around is to connect the cable/sat box optical directly to the AVR, especially when the TV cannot pass DD 5.1 via ARC as is the case with some brands.
post #2549 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrsol View Post

^^ I have something similar although not as bad. About one in ten times i turn on the TV i get audio from the 609 but no video. Turning the TV off and back on does the trick, annoying.

I reckon the last firmware broke some things...

When my 609 is in standby mode, the HDMI pass-thru' facility is only routing video to my TV - not audio
post #2550 of 3823
I have a 509 and the UWF-1 wireless network adapter. I've been enjoying Pandora and being able to play the music from my computer, but I was wondering if there's any chance that streaming music through Google Music has been or will be made available.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread