or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 112

post #3331 of 3821
I get no sound, and the network menu option is disabled. I tried a reset by holding VCR and it cleared, but still no sound.

Worked at night, didn't in the morning - no pops, clicks - it just didn't work when I turned it on.

help?
post #3332 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddanak View Post

I can't get any sound from my subwoofer.
Current subwoofer settings (Back Panel)
Power: Auto (green light is on)
Phase: 0 degrees
Volume: 4
Crossover Frequency: 100Hz
Connected to receiver via digital coaxial cable (orange)
Receiver Type: 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 Receiver
Help me please! I got the subwoofer in the mail the day before my two week vacation and have been looking forward to setting it up... this is killing me, lol.

If I read you correctly, you should be connecting the subwoofer to the receiver's sub-out (purple), instead of the coax (orange).
post #3333 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks3 View Post

Do I need a different type of connection to my Apple TV in addition to my HDMI? I don't need to view the apple TV because I can control my music on my iPad.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm really trying to figure out how to listen to apple tv while watching normal tv or playing ps3. Not sure if I need to add a connection other than HDMI, or if I need to change the apple tv input.

Thanks!
post #3334 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks3 View Post

Thoughts anyone?
I'm really trying to figure out how to listen to apple tv while watching normal tv or playing ps3. Not sure if I need to add a connection other than HDMI, or if I need to change the apple tv input.
Thanks!

Hi gohawks, yes connect an extra optical cable from apple tv to receiver "TV/CD"port.

- select your video input source (ps3 or cable tv)
- wait until the source video is playing
- on the remote, press "Receiver" button and then "TV/CD" button ("Tuner" button works as well radio)
post #3335 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

It's a catch-22 with the ARC feature ... in some cases the TV provides it's own volume bar which can be turned off by setting the TV's HDMI-CEC feature to OFF, but then doing so disables the ARC feature. This is why using an optical cable is often the best solution, which allows you to then turn the TV's HDMI-CEC feature to OFF. Also note that many TV's are limited to PCM 2.0 using the HDMI(ARC) feature, but will generally always pass either PCM 2.0 or DD 5.1 over the optical audio output (eg. w/DD 5.1 Netflix movies).

i second that!
I long ago gave up on the ARC. My cables got a little thicker with the addition of the optical cable but WTH,
I not encountered 1 issue on amplifying TV's audio since.
The other thing that frightened me was the auto power on/off feature when I only want to listen.
That fried the power supply on my TV. Fortunately it's still on warranty.
post #3336 of 3821
I too have given up on ARC. I'm running an optical back from the TV to the 609. I've "macro-ized" a key on my remote to select the TV/CD input when I want to watch netflix...

I also encountered occasional momentary "blips" where I'd lose video and the HDMI would sort of reboot while it located the correct incoming signal.... all while the screen was black. this was maybe a 10-15 sec interruption... Since the change back to RIHD off and Aquos Link Control off on the TV, things have been solid.

Best,
jeff
post #3337 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi gohawks, yes connect an extra optical cable from apple tv to receiver "TV/CD"port.
- select your video input source (ps3 or cable tv)
- wait until the source video is playing
- on the remote, press "Receiver" button and then "TV/CD" button ("Tuner" button works as well radio)

Awesome, thanks! I will give this a shot this weekend.
post #3338 of 3821
UPDATE;

I have now heard the difference between running my 609 with HTiB speakers and running it with better quality drivers. The difference is pronounced.

I now have BIC Venturi DV64 towers, 62CLRS center, and DV52si surrounds. My 609 loves these little beasts. Before I could turn it up running MP3s via DLNA in All Channel Stereo mode to like 90+ and the drivers would just distort and bottom out. I even maxed it out a couple of times. No longer.

Now, even though my speakers are large, have higher power ratings, and are 8 ohms vs. 6 ohms of the Onkyos, the sound is louder and of much higher quality. Now, I couldn't bear turning the 609 up beyond THX Reference level...it was crazy loud and sounded strong with no distortion...nice...kind of like the difference when I swapped out my car's factory speakers for top of the line Kicker all the way around back in '06...remarkable.

This is after about a 100 hour break in and Audessey 2EQ calibration.

I am enjoying my system about 100% more now having this great receiver paired up to drivers that can do it justice...
Edited by mfrey0118 - 8/25/12 at 8:11am
post #3339 of 3821
Hi All!

Do you know how i can see the online radio stream actual track number? If I listen the same webradio I can see in my PC the name of the song title/performer.
Is it possible to show this info in the Onkyo Receiver (609) display or the connected TV as well?

Thanks
post #3340 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi gohawks, yes connect an extra optical cable from apple tv to receiver "TV/CD"port.
- select your video input source (ps3 or cable tv)
- wait until the source video is playing
- on the remote, press "Receiver" button and then "TV/CD" button ("Tuner" button works as well radio)

Ok, I tried this but no luck.

- cable on TV through cable box and HDMI
- optical from apple TV to TV/CD on receiver
- while watching cable, I pressed "receiver" then "TV/CD", and all that happened was I lost my cable audio and couldn't hear the apple tv playing.


Do I have to disconnect the HDMI from the apple tv to the receiver so the only connection is the optical? That kind of defeats the purpose if I ever want to watch the apple tv on the big screen instead of just listen to the music...
post #3341 of 3821
I remember there were some posts about issues with the newer Roku's and the 609 (or related). Are there still issues, or have firmware updates on either device fixed that?
post #3342 of 3821
I finally figured out the culprit with my intermittent (slowly increasing in frequency) HDMI/ARC issues. It wasn't the 609, it was my Panny BD210. When I turned off the 210's HDMI CEC function (called VieraLink), the 609's connectivity with my TV was fully restored and I haven't had one HDMI issue since. ARC works perfectly and the HDMI communication is good to go, the receiver turns on and off with the TV, the TV volume controls the 609, and the 609 switches inputs automatically.
This little receiver continues to surprise me. Everytime something went wrong with HDMI, I assumed it was the Onkyo and I was dismayed at the thought of warranty repairs and no HT audio for weeks or months...but everytime, it turned out to be something else and the 609 was vindicated.
post #3343 of 3821
Well my issue was never resolved. There is a guy on the ROKU forum that is pursuing issues with Onkyo regarding the ROKU2. The thread is titled "Netflix 5.1 DD+ Problem with color shift " in the Roku streaming player discussion forum.
Edited by david0406 - 9/8/12 at 8:18am
post #3344 of 3821
I have two Roku's that I have used with both my Denon AVR's and my Onkyo 509 and have had no issues with either receiver. That is why I love Roku's they have no controls and once you run the simple setup, they are good to go...set and forget.biggrin.gif
post #3345 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

I have two Roku's that I have used with both my Denon AVR's and my Onkyo 509 and have had no issues with either receiver. That is why I love Roku's they have no controls and once you run the simple setup, they are good to go...set and forget.biggrin.gif

Does the 509 do any video processing? I am not sure that it does. I think that is where the issue is with Roku2 and Onkyo's.
post #3346 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post

Does the 509 do any video processing? I am not sure that it does. I think that is where the issue is with Roku2 and Onkyo's.
I believe you are correct in that the 509 doesn't do any video processing, but both my Denon 4310 and main 4311 do have ABT video processing and function with the Roku just fine. It sounds like to me, the Onkyo's have the problem in their video processing software.
post #3347 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

I believe you are correct in that the 509 doesn't do any video processing, but both my Denon 4310 and main 4311 do have ABT video processing and function with the Roku just fine. It sounds like to me, the Onkyo's have the problem in their video processing software.

Just playing devils advocate here. Could the argument be made that since I ( as do others) have three other devices, a WDtv Live, a Sony BDP- S570 and a Motorola QIP7100 2 all connected to the same AVR do NOT recreate the issue that the Roku2 creates and that the issue lies within the technology of the Roku2? I have had this issue since last April and was just hoping that one of the manufacturers would step up to the plate with some customer support and neither seem to be doing so. I do not believe this an isolated issue and was hoping for the sake of Roku that a fix would come because I am of the opinion that the 79 dollar device would make it to the trash bin before the 600 dollar device does. While in reality my 79 dollar device is not going in the trash bin because I still use it but my desire to purchase said device again has dramatically dwindled. Just askin smile.gif
post #3348 of 3821
Onkyo's response.....


We apologize that you are experiencing issues with the ROKU 2. We are currently working to resolve the issue. In the mean time, the following will temporarily resolve the issue until we find a more permanent resolution. When using your ROKU 2 on Dolby Digital 5.1, please disable the video processor on the receiver. You can disable the video processor by holding down the VCR/DVR button and the RETURN button directly on front panel of the receiver while still holding VCR/DVR, hit RETURN again. Your receiver will then say Video Processor: Skip.

We will continue to keep you updated as we research this issue further.

We appreciate your patience.

Forum Moderator
post #3349 of 3821
I have a BDP BX59 connected to an Onkyo TX-NR609 thru hdmi and I'm getting hiss when playing Pandora. If I play Pandora directly from the rcvr I have no hiss. I have the same rcvr audio settings for both instances. Don't recall having this issue with prior BD players. If I turn audyssey off when playing through the BD player this helps reduce the hiss significantly. Wish the rvcr's built in pandora had a screen saver. Sound quality is better playing pandora direct though so I'll just do that for now. Anybody run into this?
post #3350 of 3821
I have multiple systems in multiple rooms and can stream Pandora from my Onkyo 509, my Panasonic plasma, my Vizio LCD, my Oppo 93 and two Roku boxes and have no hiss from any of these sources, so your issue certainly doesn't sound normal to me. You didn't say how you are connecting your player to your AVR; are you using hdmi, spdif optical or coax or analog? If you are using hdmi, you might try switching it to a different input on the AVR; also, you might try, temporarily using a different method(it your bd player allows it) such as spdif optical to connect to the AVR to see if that makes any difference. If none of this makes any difference to eliminate the hiss, you either have a defective player or at the very least, a very poor implementation of Pandora on your player.
Good luck!eek.gif
post #3351 of 3821
Man, I tell you what, after upgrading my speakers to go along with my 609, I find myself, more and more, just sitting on the couch and zoning out to my Mozart channel on Pandora. Stringed instruments sound absolutely sublime on the 609 with these Venturi drivers...
post #3352 of 3821
Redbeemer,
I have it connected thru hdmi. Have not tested other connections yet. Suspect it could be the app. My bedroom system with a samsung bd player doesn't do this and the previous samsungs I had connected to my main system with the tx-nr609 didn't
do it either. See if I have a digital audio cable laying around to test. Pinging the bd player forum to see if there any complaints there, as well. The bd player is a solid performer for netflix and discs so I'm not ready to return yet. The only other app I generally
run is pandora and this rcvr plays it nicely except for it's gui. The digital indicator comes on when running the pandora app through the rcvr. Only see pcm when the bd player plays pandora. I'll do some more testing and report back.
post #3353 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmike View Post

Redbeemer,
I have it connected thru hdmi. Have not tested other connections yet. Suspect it could be the app. My bedroom system with a samsung bd player doesn't do this and the previous samsungs I had connected to my main system with the tx-nr609 didn't
do it either. See if I have a digital audio cable laying around to test. Pinging the bd player forum to see if there any complaints there, as well. The bd player is a solid performer for netflix and discs so I'm not ready to return yet. The only other app I generally
run is pandora and this rcvr plays it nicely except for it's gui. The digital indicator comes on when running the pandora app through the rcvr. Only see pcm when the bd player plays pandora. I'll do some more testing and report back.
Since Pandora plays "stations", not albums, it changes the album art with every song, so I doubt there would be an issue with screen burn in; I use it on my plasma without i
post #3354 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

Since Pandora plays "stations", not albums, it changes the album art with every song, so I doubt there would be an issue with screen burn in; I use it on my plasma without i
{reply was sent prematurely} issue. If you are really afraid of burn in on your tv, just turn it off as Pandora will continue to play on the AVR without the tv once you have selected the channel you want to hear. You may get a brief dropout for about a second while the player and receiver re-sync, but after that all should work fine and save a bit of energy at the same time.biggrin.gif
post #3355 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

Since Pandora plays "stations", not albums, it changes the album art with every song, so I doubt there would be an issue with screen burn in; I use it on my plasma without i
{reply was sent prematurely} issue. If you are really afraid of burn in on your tv, just turn it off as Pandora will continue to play on the AVR without the tv once you have selected the channel you want to hear. You may get a brief dropout for about a second while the player and receiver re-sync, but after that all should work fine and save a bit of energy at the same time.biggrin.gif
post #3356 of 3821
I was wondering, if I bought a really nice dac for computer playback, then connected the dac to the 609, wouldnt the 609 lessen the quality of the audio the dac is feeding to it? thanks
post #3357 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

I was wondering, if I bought a really nice dac for computer playback, then connected the dac to the 609, wouldnt the 609 lessen the quality of the audio the dac is feeding to it? thanks
The short answer is, it depends on how you connect the dac to the 609. Obviously, if you use any sort of digital connection such as hdmi, spdif optical or coaxial, you will not be hearing the dac, but rather the dac in your 609. So you would need to use an analog RCA connection to the 609 from your dac. Secondly, the 609 already has quite a good dac built in, so you would probably have to spend quite a bit of money on the external dac to "improve" the sound over the dac in the 609. In recent years, receiver manufacturers have become more aware of the dac's they install in their products because potential buyers are more aware that most/all the music played through the receiver will be going through the dac in the receiver which will determine the ultimate sound quality. Also, the recent interest in downloading hi-rez music files has forced receiver manufacturers to put dac capable of handling such high bit rate files in the receiver. My take is that for many people, they will not hear an improvement in sound quality with a low to medium priced dac over the dac built into a good modern receiver. If you have $5,000 to $10,000 to spend on an external dac, and if the rest of your system if of the same ultra high quality, you might hear an improvement over the 609's dacs. However, someone with that kind of money in their system would likely NOT be using a 609. That is not any knock against the 609, but just the reality of how people put together high end systems and that they usually involve separate components (pre amp and amp) which individually cost more than the 609 or at the very least, a flagship AVR.wink.gif
If you have an hdmi output on your computer, then simply connect that to your 609 and the internal dac will make the d/a conversion for you. If your computer doesn't have an hdmi output, then you might consider using a usb to spdif converter to allow you to connect the computer to the 609 via optical or coax. You can buy these devices quite reasonably from companies such as fiio or for better quality/more output choices something like the Musical Fidelity V-Link converter. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good your computer music files can sound(assuming they are of sufficiently high quality) played through the dac of the 609.
Edited by Redbeemer - 9/27/12 at 9:06am
post #3358 of 3821
I know the dacs in the 609 are quality. I plugged my laptop in via hdmi and didnt like the results something is wrong. Thats why I was thinking a dac to process the computer audio before it hits the receiver would be a solution. It might not even need to be something expensive and possibly an hdmi or usb dac that could fix the jitter etc issues that are inherent with computer playback before it enters the receiver would help. I'll work on it thanks a lot.
post #3359 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

I know the dacs in the 609 are quality. I plugged my laptop in via hdmi and didnt like the results something is wrong. Thats why I was thinking a dac to process the computer audio before it hits the receiver would be a solution. It might not even need to be something expensive and possibly an hdmi or usb dac that could fix the jitter etc issues that are inherent with computer playback before it enters the receiver would help. I'll work on it thanks a lot.

I see you're a senior member, so please don't take this as an insultingly simple-minded question, but is it possible your files were ripped at a low bit rate and a high-fidelity system is simply revealing that? Anyway, have you considered a Logitech Squeezebox Touch? For less than $300, you can have your files available anywhere via your wireless network, with album art displayed. I'm using a coax digital connection on mine, and love it. It also has analog outputs, but I don't know what the quality of its own internal DAC is.
post #3360 of 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelat View Post

I get no sound, and the network menu option is disabled. I tried a reset by holding VCR and it cleared, but still no sound.
Worked at night, didn't in the morning - no pops, clicks - it just didn't work when I turned it on.
help?

Have you solved your problem? If not, I had almost the same thing happen with a different-branded AVR and, unfortunately, it had to be repaired. A board had died.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread