or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 114

post #3391 of 3823
Okay, I've managed a compromise... since I only play games on my TV and not my monitor, I don't need full surround when doing "regular" computer stuff so I connected an optical cable between the computer and receiver and set it to the TV/CD channel, that way I'll still have sound when checking websites and doing work. When I play games I turn on the TV and switch the receiver to the GAME channel, enabling the HDMI to enjoy Borderlands 2 in glorious surround. Best of all, Windows remembers which audio devices are "default" over others, so it automatically switches from the SPDIF on the mainboard to the HDMI on the graphic card. More complicated than I wanted, but meh.

The Gefen HDMI Detective would be nice to have, since it seems to convince receivers that the TV is on even if it's not, unfortunately if I could afford it I'd have gotten a higher-tier receiver instead. smile.gif

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help.
post #3392 of 3823
P. 48 of the manual says RIHD default setting is OFF. Also, "my" 509 is one I purchased and set up for a friend who lives 2000 miles away, so I can't do any hands-on testing, but I can say this: she had an old cassette tape deck she wanted to use. I think I connected it to the game input. The 509 goes to the TV via HDMI, and there are no probs getting sound from the cassette with the TV (a Sony, maybe no RIHD?) off.

Having said that, at home I am using all Panasonic components (including the (in)famous SA-BX500), and even though I have RIHD (VieraLink in Panasonic-speak) set to OFF on everything, I still get interactions, like the volume on the TV muting when I turn the AVR on. I can't explain it.
post #3393 of 3823
The old cassette player probably wasn't connected to the receiver via HDMI, and that's why it plays sound with the TV off. If you have an HDMI chain (blu-ray->receiver->TV) then all devices in the chain need to be on or there won't be sound, thanks to the DRM function built into the HDMI protocol. If you have a device connected to the receiver via component or SPDIF, then the DRM isn't in effect and the TV doesn't have to be on for the receiver to play sound.
post #3394 of 3823
The cassette deck was connected to the AVR with an analog, L-R old-school RCA patch cord. I thought you said that your PC was connected the same way (in a correction to your original post that said you used Toslink). So it would be virtually the same set-up, yes?
post #3395 of 3823
With the 609, can pictures and video be viewed/streamed from a PC using the DLNA function? Those options don't seem to do anything for me, but then again I may be doing something wrong. I can stream music just fine.

Thanks.
post #3396 of 3823
Has anyone found a decent wireless headphone to use with the 609?
post #3397 of 3823
Is anyone able to stream audio through DLNA from PS3 Media Server? It keeps saying "cannot play" and moves to the next song in the list. I know it's not the files (M4A, 160kbps) because if I put them on a USB stick I can play them through the USB interface.
post #3398 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWy View Post

Has anyone found a decent wireless headphone to use with the 609?

I hope someone answers you.

 

I could never find any without a few bad reviews (cut-outs, static, etc.). For me, has to be perfect sound or it defeats the purpose.

 

I settled for a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M35 (Circumaural or full ear, normal closed back). I love them.


Edited by Tesla1856 - 11/11/12 at 2:48am
post #3399 of 3823
I've tried everything - which is why it's taken so long to get back on the forum. Nothing worked - IP addresses etc. even the settings on my router which only had the computer, 509, NAS and bluray attached (bluray switched off). The only answer was more expenditure with a Logitech Touch to bypass the streaming on the Onkyo which was a pain as that is what I bought it for. It was that or else change my cd ripper NAS which was going to be more expensive. However, since I've had the Touch I've had no problems and managed to rip, store and play my 2000 odd cds. I wish I'd gone down this route before but experience is a wonderful thing. I'd recommend this avenue to anyone if they have a half decent amp/receiver which they want to keep rather than change to a streaming one for the sake of it. Thanks for the comments, by the way, even if they were of limited help for my problem.
post #3400 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew View Post

With the 609, can pictures and video be viewed/streamed from a PC using the DLNA function? Those options don't seem to do anything for me, but then again I may be doing something wrong. I can stream music just fine.
Thanks.
No, only music. This is why the pictures and video folders are always x'd out on the menu.

Since it's been over 6 months now I guess I'll update:

Love this little receiver. It powers my living room 7.1 home theater setup very nicely. Dolby DTS Master HD is stunning. Gets loud as all get out. I've got bad ears already, and I work on my car stereo without ear plugs a lot of the time and out of all those my HT system gives me the worst headache after testing loud for a while...

Since I figured out to turn VieraLink off on my 210 Blu Ray player, I've had zero HDMI connectivity issues....I use this thing for hours every day, from streaming Pandora all day to watching TV at night. Aside from the occasional power reset to re-initialize the network adapter in the 609, internet has been rock solid. I can even enter streaming IPs directly into the receiver via the web interface and stream my radio programs...plus the "play to" function in my home network allows me to play any music straight to the 609 from any computer in the house.

All in all it's a great little 7.2 receiver, IMO. Sorry you guys are having such trouble, I hope I'm not singing the blues in a year or so...
post #3401 of 3823
i like the 609 a lot and am going to move it to another room soon. The net function is great except for the SiriusXM function. Quite often it just cuts out even after only a few minutes. I've often wondered if it was the 609 or some issue with XM servers. I have the 609 hard connected to my router. I never have a problem with anything else as far as internet connectivity so I know its not that. Anyone else have problems with XM?
post #3402 of 3823
Looks like my hdmi board has gone out after about a year of use.It's still under warranty,but after looking online I had no idea how many people were having issues with the hdmi board failures. Has anyone had theirs repaired and had smooth sailing after that or the opposite? I am trying to decide if I want to get something else and just sell the 609 after it's repaired. I have only had onkyo receivers in the past, so I'm willing to give them another shot as I've never had problems before this. Any feedback is appreciated!


Never mind! Onkyo had me do a factory reset and it's working now thank goodness!
Edited by Sonyboy - 11/14/12 at 5:08pm
post #3403 of 3823
Hello

I am not sure if this had been covered here but I noticed some info on the Onkyo TX Sr 309 so somebody may have some advice. I have had one of these for 4 months but only used it with headphones as was saving for speakers. Today I bought a pair of Mordant Short Mezzo 1 speakers. The problem is however carefully I wire them up there is no sound at all until the volume is at about 40 then it is low, after a few seconds the sound either cuts out altogether or the Onkyo cuts off, sometimes I get check the sp message which I know is the protection circuit. I have not bi wired the speakers but the cable I have is not a very expensive one. Quite difficult to get the wire in right on the Onkyo, I tried all the speaker terminals with the same result. Any advice would be helpful before I call the service centre.
post #3404 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian99 View Post

Hello
I am not sure if this had been covered here but I noticed some info on the Onkyo TX Sr 309 so somebody may have some advice. I have had one of these for 4 months but only used it with headphones as was saving for speakers. Today I bought a pair of Mordant Short Mezzo 1 speakers. The problem is however carefully I wire them up there is no sound at all until the volume is at about 40 then it is low, after a few seconds the sound either cuts out altogether or the Onkyo cuts off, sometimes I get check the sp message which I know is the protection circuit. I have not bi wired the speakers but the cable I have is not a very expensive one. Quite difficult to get the wire in right on the Onkyo, I tried all the speaker terminals with the same result. Any advice would be helpful before I call the service centre.
Sounds like there is a short happening or maybe some cross talk with the + and - wires touching. I checked the specs on the speaker and you should have no problem powering those.

A hint you can do for the posts on the receiver is to make the end of the bare end of the speaker wire long enough to loop entirely around the post. Loosen the post as much as it will loosen, then wrap the speaker wire around it and then wrap the end speaker wire around it's self and just twist the cable until it is tight. Then tighten the post as much as possible and you should then have a good tight seal that will not loosen up easily.

Another thing you can do--which is what I always do for all my connections, is to put a Banana plug on the end of the cable so it just slips in place on the receiver.
post #3405 of 3823
Thanks for the reply unfortunately this model does not have post connections but the press type where you have to push the wire into a hole. They did do a recall with this fault, so maybe this is one of them even though the serial number does not show up on the list.
post #3406 of 3823
this seem to be the closest site ive found disscusing my problem.i have a tx nr 609 and cannot stream video to my tv via the 609.im trying to set up a media server type system.i have lots of media on my system movies mainly and when i goto network ,dlna i can see the files from my computer on my tv but unable to read file.ive tried winportal,wild media server,plex,play on and the only one that lets me see the movie files is ps3 media center,i see them on the tv can browse them via receiver remtoe but will not play.in currently useing j ryder media center.609 sees the file and j ryder sees the 609..........dunnno...help.....please
post #3407 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by troglodyte1234 View Post

this seem to be the closest site ive found disscusing my problem.i have a tx nr 609 and cannot stream video to my tv via the 609.im trying to set up a media server type system.i have lots of media on my system movies mainly and when i goto network ,dlna i can see the files from my computer on my tv but unable to read file.ive tried winportal,wild media server,plex,play on and the only one that lets me see the movie files is ps3 media center,i see them on the tv can browse them via receiver remtoe but will not play.in currently useing j ryder media center.609 sees the file and j ryder sees the 609..........dunnno...help.....please

The 609 does not "see" anything but certain music file types in DLNA. I use the DLNA player in my TV to play pics and videos on my home network.
post #3408 of 3823
Just bought this receiver and can not figure out why the remotes volume button auto mutes everytime it is pressed. Im sorry if this was covered elsewhere plus im noob. This is the 609 receiver connected to a Panasonic Plasma
Thanks.
post #3409 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisbry View Post

Just bought this receiver and can not figure out why the remotes volume button auto mutes everytime it is pressed. Im sorry if this was covered elsewhere plus im noob. This is the 609 receiver connected to a Panasonic Plasma
Thanks.

Can you find the model number of the remote? I've never heard of this happening, but I'm not very active on the various boards.
post #3410 of 3823
Any luck I have the exact same issue?
post #3411 of 3823
Found a really good deal on the Onkyo TX-SR309 but have a few concerns about buying it after reading through this thread.


I saw where you can see if your TX-SR309 has the known problems by checking the serial number at Onkyo's site and was wondering if this can be done without taking the unit out of the box so it could be easily returned?

For example, is the serial number printed on the box or is there a cutout on the box where you can view it on the receiver........?




Thanks
post #3412 of 3823
I'm hoping for some assistance with my setup. Maybe it's my media player.

Gear:
Onkyo TX-NR509
Bic America F12
Baby Advent
Polk Audio CS10
Pivos AIOS media player
local media files only

Issue: When I start certain files for playback, the audio is delayed a second or so. When the files are paused/unpaused there is a loud pop, and another delay and pop when unpausing.

Details:

AAC 2.0 has no delay when file starts and has no pop from the sub when paused/unpaused.
Audio pop and delay when paused/unpaused on a file with AC3 2.0.
Audio pop and delay when paused/unpaused on a file with AC3 5.1.
Receiver speaker config: sub yes. Front, center, surround: set to small. Crossover: 40Hz.
Audio setting on Pivos: HDMI output is raw

Please!
post #3413 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by milom98 View Post

Found a really good deal on the Onkyo TX-SR309 but have a few concerns about buying it after reading through this thread.
I saw where you can see if your TX-SR309 has the known problems by checking the serial number at Onkyo's site and was wondering if this can be done without taking the unit out of the box so it could be easily returned?
For example, is the serial number printed on the box or is there a cutout on the box where you can view it on the receiver........?
Thanks

I don't know for sure about the 309, but it seems like every electronic product I buy has the serial number on the box, on the same sticker as the bar code.
post #3414 of 3823
Hello.
I just hook up my pc, Comcast HD box and Sony Blu Ray player to the NR509 with HDMI cable. And HDMI connection too from NR509 to my tv. I set up the speakers with the microphone, But every time i adjust the volume, it mutes the NR509. Any one have this problem before? I also did a network firmware update too.
post #3415 of 3823
i turned the Audyssey Dynamic EQ off, and it does not mute every time i change the volume.
post #3416 of 3823
I found the Dynamic EQ to be odd. Every change caused it to drop down to a low level, then ramp up. Very annoying. If your inputs have different average levels, use the Intellivolume setting to keep them even.
post #3417 of 3823
You're more likely referring to Dyn Volume as Dyn EQ simply boosts the bass and surround audio.
post #3418 of 3823
You are probably right. It's confusing with some many variations on this or that modifying the audio.
post #3419 of 3823
Hi folks -

I've had a TX-NR509 for a year or so and really like the receiver. I'm now thinking about upgrading my speakers. Right now, I have a set of B&W front L and R, which I really like. The center and rears are from a circa 2000 Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II 3.1 setup I had. My powered subwoofer is also Cambridge Soundworks - Basscube 10S which is only a few years old.

For now, my main priority is to upgrade is the center channel speaker. I think I can get a nice center in the $250-300 range, something along the lines of the Klipsch RC-42. that would far outperform the CSW center.

Am I approaching this the right way? Does the center speaker need to match the fronts? For instance, the B&W HTM62B might be a good fit but is priced much higher than the Klipsch, around $400 at BB.

What are people's thoughts? TIA for your advice!
post #3420 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-zed View Post

Hi folks -
I've had a TX-NR509 for a year or so and really like the receiver. I'm now thinking about upgrading my speakers. Right now, I have a set of B&W front L and R, which I really like. The center and rears are from a circa 2000 Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II 3.1 setup I had. My powered subwoofer is also Cambridge Soundworks - Basscube 10S which is only a few years old.
For now, my main priority is to upgrade is the center channel speaker. I think I can get a nice center in the $250-300 range, something along the lines of the Klipsch RC-42. that would far outperform the CSW center.
Am I approaching this the right way? Does the center speaker need to match the fronts? For instance, the B&W HTM62B might be a good fit but is priced much higher than the Klipsch, around $400 at BB.
What are people's thoughts? TIA for your advice!

I really like my new Polk Audio (Series II) CS2. Newegg had them cheap. There is also a newly released replacement model.

 

I could be wrong, but I always thought Audyssey helpped with the matching.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread