Originally Posted by MrCoopz
1. I only updated recently that's why i said latest, but my version 12.0 which I'm using which isn't the latest as I've just found out
2. The sound chip is a Realtek ALC892
3. Do you think it would benefit me by getting a graphics card?
4. I've had another look at assassins guide and most of the cards aren't available in the UK but found one similar to his HIS ATI Radeon 6570 Fanless 1GB (i think),
6. Would that be better than my current setup?
1. Well, in 12 and 13, they changed the Audio sub-system and HD-Audio rendering (major change). I'm still on v11 on my two machines. If it still has WASAPI (on Sound setup), try that.
If would say also try DxVA2 also, but I don't think that works on Intel graphics.
2. With Intel graphics, pretty sure it's active. Check Sound config in Control Panel. Check drivers. Be sure no analog cables are connected.
3. Couldn't hurt. I use a AMD 5670 in one box and Intel-2000 IGP in the other (but that processor is better ... i3 quad-thread)
4. Dedicated card is almost always better. I like AMD over nVidia for HTPC and XBMC.
6. Too many variables, but I've never seen a dedicated AMD card make a HTPC build any worse.
Hey, so Onkyo 509 is only 5.1 but it decodes HD-Audio formats. How does that work? The extra 2 rear channels (like when playing Blu-Rays) just get mixed into the Side Surrounds or something?