or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD8000 Thread [No Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD8000 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 10

post #271 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwnick View Post

has anyone een able to compare the LED d8000 vs the plasma d8000? trying to decide between the 2 if anyone can help? I see they both have 25mil contrast huge jump from last years plasma curious waht people think which is better?

Hi,

Very interested to find about about this as well - the D8000/D7000 LCD's have been getting some extremely positive reviews indeed here in the UK/Europe so it will indeed be interesting to see how the LCD & Plasma versions of each compare in a head to head.

Bazzy!
post #272 of 5097
First off 10 times darker i ment as figure of speech. One problem I am noticing. Blacks are awesome but color alot duller than my pn58c8000. Messed with all settings and can't get color as rich as my pn58c8000. No buzz at all though and that's great. Any ideas for color settings?? Also hard to tell when tv is off. My pn58c8000 beeped when off not this one. Blacks and whites great color sucks. Also alot less setting options compared to my other one and no mjc setting. So far 50 50 with tv.
post #273 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1923 View Post

First off 10 times darker i ment as figure of speech. One problem I am noticing. Blacks are awesome but color alot duller than my pn58c8000. Messed with all settings and can't get color as rich as my pn58c8000. No buzz at all though and that's great. Any ideas for color settings?? Also hard to tell when tv is off. My pn58c8000 beeped when off not this one. Blacks and whites great color sucks. Also alot less setting options compared to my other one and no mjc setting. So far 50 50 with tv.

Well if you read these threads, you should realize that many posters are unable to discern the difference between hyperbole and and actual facts. I see your initial excitement has waned a bit.
post #274 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNui View Post

bogus number, totally useless

not relying on the # 25mil-1 just saying if they are stated equal are they? kinda hard to trust just #'s on paper also dont really understand how they can get the plasma as bright as the LED?

basically if someone has seen both just curious there thoughts and which thery would choose? I know there are others who would love this info also
post #275 of 5097
Ok, were getting off topic about Sony LED's lol.


On topic: Cleveland plasma, I see that you have PND648000's in hand on your site. Where is the review? Thanks.
post #276 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 View Post

Ok, were getting off topic about Sony LED's lol.


On topic: Cleveland plasma, I see that you have PND648000's in hand on your site. Where is the review? Thanks.

I wouldn't mind hearing more about the 51D8000, either. Assuming the thing's been running in a showroom for the past week, maybe they ought to give those black levels another look?
post #277 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post


I don't recall a single '10 C8000/7000/6500 mentioning a pink shift. I followed the Samsungs closely for quite a while in '10; if it was, indeed, talked about on AVS, if must've been a rare problem, if it existed.

Within the last two months, I compared a C8000 along side a Panny (I don't recall whether it was VT20 or VT25) at Magnolia inside Best Buy. White areas on the C8000 were noticeably pink compared to the Panny model. The difference was great enough to cause me to hold off until release of the 2011 models. Time will tell whether these models suffer the same problem.
post #278 of 5097
Due to the 25 mil contrast jump on the pn59d8000. I notice alot brighter If I want to tone it down what should I lower the contrast or brightness?? Also is it ok to keep blacks at setting darkest rather than darker??
post #279 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhersco View Post

Within the last two months, I compared a C8000 along side a Panny (I don't recall whether it was VT20 or VT25) at Magnolia inside Best Buy. White areas on the C8000 were noticeably pink compared to the Panny model. The difference was great enough to cause me to hold off until release of the 2011 models. Time will tell whether these models suffer the same problem.

But you can't tell anything from viewing the TVs in best buy. I compared a VT25 to a Samsung C8000 in best buy magnolia as well. Color, particularly skintones was just awful on the Samsung and comparatively great on the VT25.

In reality, the Samsung has better color, so it's all down to settings on that particular TV and the source material you're watching. And since they won't even let you play with a remote, viewing there is totally useless.

About the only things you can compare at Best buy are screen reflectivity and the look of the box.
post #280 of 5097
I just returned a 58VT25 for a PN59D8000 and feel I have made a huge mistake. I cant believe how poor the picture is in comparison to the Panasonic. I have always been a big Samsung fan and thought I would be doing right by exchanging the VT for the latest and greatest 2011 TV.

Dont get me wrong the features of the D8000 are simply amazing and the physical design is very beautiful. I just cant believe how poor the picture is. It took all but 10 minutes out of the box to have the VT displaying a gorgeous picture to where everyone who seen it commented how nice the picture was. Now, 24 hrs after unboxing the D8000 and the picture is still a long ways away from remotley comparing to the VT. My eye has picked up on motion blur never seen before, looks washed out compared to the VT and faces look waxie. At first I thought setting must be causing these issues so I went through and turned everything off. I have adjusted every possible setting to no avail. I work with TV's for a living and this is by far one of the worst sets I have ever dealt with. In my opinion, Samsung took two steps back with the release of this TV.

Now im not sure what im going to do. The retail outlet I purchased my set from has already sold the VT as an open box item and no longer has them in stock. I have 14 days to return this TV but there is not anything being released during that time. If anyone is contemplating buying this TV I would highly suggest to do a side by side with the VT series.
post #281 of 5097
Samsung TVs should always be calibrated. They are not the best out of the box.
post #282 of 5097
I just checked the Samsung site (3/22/11) and there is still no users manual for either LEDs or plasmas, 2011 models. More disturbing, there was a quick set up guide for the LED sets, but no users manual. The guide explained how to use the built-in guide on the TV, as if only actual owners would ever have a need for the users manual. Does this mean that from now on, Samsung will prevent non-owners access to the users manual? Are they really so stupid?
post #283 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandykane View Post

I work with TV's for a living and this is by far one of the worst sets I have ever dealt with.

Don't expect me to take you seriously if you're really going to say that.
post #284 of 5097
Due to the 25 mil contrast jump on the pn59d8000. I notice alot brighter If I want to tone it down what should I lower the contrast or brightness?? Also is it ok to keep blacks at setting darkest rather than darker?? Or will that ruin tv
post #285 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandykane View Post

I just returned a 58VT25 for a PN59D8000 and feel I have made a huge mistake. I cant believe how poor the picture is in comparison to the Panasonic. I have always been a big Samsung fan and thought I would be doing right by exchanging the VT for the latest and greatest 2011 TV.

Dont get me wrong the features of the D8000 are simply amazing and the physical design is very beautiful. I just cant believe how poor the picture is. It took all but 10 minutes out of the box to have the VT displaying a gorgeous picture to where everyone who seen it commented how nice the picture was. Now, 24 hrs after unboxing the D8000 and the picture is still a long ways away from remotley comparing to the VT. My eye has picked up on motion blur never seen before, looks washed out compared to the VT and faces look waxie. At first I thought setting must be causing these issues so I went through and turned everything off. I have adjusted every possible setting to no avail. I work with TV's for a living and this is by far one of the worst sets I have ever dealt with. In my opinion, Samsung took two steps back with the release of this TV.

Now im not sure what im going to do. The retail outlet I purchased my set from has already sold the VT as an open box item and no longer has them in stock. I have 14 days to return this TV but there is not anything being released during that time. If anyone is contemplating buying this TV I would highly suggest to do a side by side with the VT series.

Um, are you sure you didn't pick up a UN55D8000?
post #286 of 5097
When I stated this is one of the worst TV's I have ever dealt with I would assume everyone would understand I meant in this price range.

Yes, Im sure I didnt pick up a UN55D8000 lol. I know how crazy my comments may sound. I am dumb founded by how poor the PQ is as well. I might except this at half the price point but not on a top of the line TV.
post #287 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1923 View Post

Due to the 25 mil contrast jump on the pn59d8000. I notice alot brighter If I want to tone it down what should I lower the contrast or brightness?? Also is it ok to keep blacks at setting darkest rather than darker?? Or will that ruin tv

Brightness is only for setting the blacklevel (aka, the point where you got from havong PWM-Noise in the cinemascopebars to havong no PWM-noise).
post #288 of 5097
Can anyone confirm if checkerboard 3D mode is available on HDMI 1 when labeled as PC?
post #289 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicariously View Post

don't expect me to take you seriously if you're really going to say that.

+1
post #290 of 5097
WHat happened Cleveland Plasma? You have the 64" 8000 on your site available, wheres the review?
post #291 of 5097
The pn59d8000 has a setting for black tone. There is dark,darker,darkest, is it ok to put on darkest or not good for plasma??
post #292 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

Samsung TVs should always be calibrated. They are not the best out of the box.

Whoa. That's another $300-$500 on top of the asking price. Dern.
post #293 of 5097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 View Post

WHat happened Cleveland Plasma? You have the 64" 8000 on your site available, wheres the review?

Yep and there sold out already for a few days. Just because we get a tv in does not mean we will reveiw the unit. In this case, Chad will be out of town on a calibration tour for a few weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

I wouldn't mind hearing more about the 51D8000, either. Assuming the thing's been running in a showroom for the past week, maybe they ought to give those black levels another look?

Sold and shipped already
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

What it did prove though is, that the set should be at a point where it has enough hours on it and is stabilized before someone pays some serious money to have a profession calibration done.

I hear you on that, might as well get used to a unit, like 500 hours, so you can see the change after a calibrator is done
post #294 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1923 View Post

The pn59d8000 has a setting for black tone. There is dark,darker,darkest, is it ok to put on darkest or not good for plasma??

I'm more into Pansonic and LG, but as far as I know "black tone" ist a artificial function, that should be kept disabled.
post #295 of 5097
Was wondering, do most people on this forum who are tv techy type people like the picture of their tv more natural looking, like the most real life looking or do they like that pop stand out freshnesss!!!
post #296 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1923 View Post

Was wondering, do most people on this forum who are tv techy type people like the picture of their tv more natural looking, like the most real life looking or do they like that pop stand out freshnesss!!!

One big affirmative for natural here, David. No popping out for me.

Best,
Greg
post #297 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwnick View Post

not relying on the # 25mil-1 just saying if they are stated equal are they? kinda hard to trust just #'s on paper also dont really understand how they can get the plasma as bright as the LED?

while you can probably most of the time use the ratio as a ranking within one manufacture, i would not count on it for anything . Check reviews to be sure.
And for extreme ratios you don't need to be even close to LCD brightness. Contrast ratio ist mostly determined by blacklevel.
post #298 of 5097
Has anyone tried watching youtube videos in 3D using the built in app? Can you go into 3D mode while in the app. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to watch youtube 3D on a PN51D8000 (its on the way ). Any ideas??? Also, what formats of 3D content does this model/series support??? (SBS, Checkerboard, Frame sequential...) Thanks
post #299 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

Samsung TVs should always be calibrated. They are not the best out of the box.

Actually the Sammys in Movie mode Warm 1 are VERY close to reference picture quality out of the box. This goes for their 2010 LCD's too.
post #300 of 5097
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandykane View Post

I just returned a 58VT25 for a PN59D8000 and feel I have made a huge mistake. I cant believe how poor the picture is in comparison to the Panasonic.

I would say either you have a faulty set or you haven't discovered the Movie picture mode.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD8000 Thread [No Price Talk]