Originally Posted by AgentCooper7
First time poster, so bear with me. I've been looking for a replacement for my Samsung 46" DLP set that's 8 years old. I primarily use the set for games, tv, sports, and movies (Blu-ray/streaming). I'm looking for something in the 60" to 64" range for around $2k, Magnolia has the 2011 D8000 for $2100. My questions are:
1. What are the main drawbacks for this set?
2. Are there any huge differences between the D8000 and D7000?
3. Is the stand sturdy enough?
4. Is a performance/warranty plan necessary?
5. What are the best 3D glasses for this set?
6. What's the best way to break in this set?
7. Any reasons to get the 2012 model?
Thanks in advance
Hi and welcome to AVS.
I have benefited from seniors here who shared loads of info with me, so I will try to do the same.
I was in your shoes not long ago.
- main issues:
Buzz, FBr, Peel, of which the buzz is the main thing now, with most of the rest resolved. The blacks are worse with cinema smooth engaged, but really, I don't notice it.
- 7000 vs 8000 PQ - the consensus is their PQ is about the same
- stand is ok, but not the most stable, not that you have choice for them... 8000 is worse
- IMO, I will get a 5 year warranty, given Samsung's rep on suspect capacitors and the buzz issue (you should search on this thread and others for more info on this)
- the performance of 3D glasses vary, others can answer this
- download D-Nice's slides (search for it on this forum) - there is a thread on this
- 2012 E series has better blacks (10%?), CS blacks issue fixed, and those internet / smart TV related functions plus some minor differences in no of HDMI, no VGA input, etc.