or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Canon HF G10, XA10, XF100, XF105 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Canon HF G10, XA10, XF100, XF105 Owners Thread - Page 138

post #4111 of 4142
Hi. What kind of UV filter did you use that allows the hood room to be put back on?
post #4112 of 4142
Extreme noob here. On the G10 what mode / settings are best for editing a smoother slow motion effect in post?
post #4113 of 4142
I have the HF G10 and recently I have had trouble with recording. I was recording in the house and it did fine then went outside and it didn't record although on the lcd screen did indicate that it was. This happened on two different occasions. There is one thing that both instances have in common is that I have taken the camcorder from a cool environment to a humid one. The camcorder lens did fog up but I let the camera set until it cleared the started recording. The camera is only two weeks old .Anyone else have this problem? Thanks
post #4114 of 4142
There is a new book out titled "A Field Guide To Canon G10 and XA10 I highly recommend for both newbies and experienced videographers. A large online retailer whose name begins with the letter "A" has it f or about $25 and free shipping. I think it only came out a couple of months ago, June 2012.
post #4115 of 4142
I just wanted to post a video I shot with a Canon XA-10 My son & I did a promotional video for our church. Check it out if you wish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAYq4_55wtg&list=UU6zEj-i9fmJpJm4X6-86C9Q&index=1&feature=plcp
post #4116 of 4142
Firmware 1.0.3.0 - Can anyone confirm their Fstop only goes to 2.0 with this firmware? Camera came with 1.0.2.0 and it would go to 1.8

Just got the camera so I'm not sure if it defaulted to something I'm now missing to get the other settings back.
post #4117 of 4142
Wouldn't go below 2.0. Changed resolution to 1280 and it went to 1.8. Back to 1920 and it seems to allow 1.8 anytime. Strange.
post #4118 of 4142
Hi All;

I happened to watch the 2011 "Tiburon" episode of Les Stroud's "Survivorman 10 days" last night. I'm pretty sure he had at least two Canon XF 100s with him on the island. Can anyone confirm that? I also liked the various time-lapse sequences, and I'm pretty sure that the ones in daylight were done with the XF100s' interval mode.

However, he also had great night time lapse that showed a huge number of stars, even a bit of the Milky Way. In my experience, that kind of night-time brightness takes at least a 10 sec exposure and typically done with a DSLR in interval mode; I don't think the XF100, could render the night sky that bright, even with the shutter set for 1/2 sec or even 1 sec.

TIA to any XF100 owners who can comment on this!

Raargh
post #4119 of 4142
What's the scoop with the .CPI files?

I've got an XA10 and I know the .CPI files are some sort of information files, but do we need them?
They come along with the .MTS files when you download raw video to the pc...

Anyone know all particulars about these?
post #4120 of 4142
haloooo guys.. its been awhile.

just got into mountain biking and enjoying it so much that im thinking of taking videos while on the trail. most common option to do this is shell out $300 for a GOPRO camera.

but why do this when i have the HF G10?

so my question would be if anybody here has gone this route and more importantly if anyone can recommend a bike mount that i can trust my G10 with...


thanks guys.
post #4121 of 4142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboygelo View Post

haloooo guys.. its been awhile.
just got into mountain biking and enjoying it so much that im thinking of taking videos while on the trail. most common option to do this is shell out $300 for a GOPRO camera.
but why do this when i have the HF G10?

hf g10 is not shock proof, dirt proof, water proof.....

get a sony hdr as15 action cam... instead for hero 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWH74VAcqYs&feature=player_embedded
post #4122 of 4142
Quote:
Originally Posted by notlad View Post

There is a new book out titled "A Field Guide To Canon G10 and XA10 I highly recommend for both newbies and experienced videographers. A large online retailer whose name begins with the letter "A" has it f or about $25 and free shipping. I think it only came out a couple of months ago, June 2012.

thanks for the heads up on the book. Just got a hf g10 refurb and I'm sure it'll be real handy for a noob as I in the field of photography/videography. I hear it's best in Manual mode, any settings in manual mode would be appreciated as to indoors and other settings for outdoor use. We'll be using the camcorder mostly indoors and night shoots
post #4123 of 4142
more or less I'm gonna have to read that book, then. To get the best out of this camcorder is in Manual mode and not Auto I guess. Steep learning curve here as I never took a photo/camera class. Just going into Manual mode I can see the difference in output adjusting the shutter and f stoops. Thanks anyways!
post #4124 of 4142
I use a wide angle lens with this camcorder and it wont fit in any bag I have. I want to leave the lens, along with the lens hood on all the time. Does anyone have a bag recommendation thats fairly compact but just large enough to accomdate this camcorder with a wide angle lens and an additional microphone sitting on top. This is the lens by the way:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751265-REG/Canon_4892B001_WD_H58W_0_8x_Wide_Converter.html
post #4125 of 4142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

I use a wide angle lens with this camcorder and it wont fit in any bag I have. I want to leave the lens, along with the lens hood on all the time. Does anyone have a bag recommendation thats fairly compact but just large enough to accomdate this camcorder with a wide angle lens and an additional microphone sitting on top. This is the lens by the way:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751265-REG/Canon_4892B001_WD_H58W_0_8x_Wide_Converter.html

That lens is costly in the extreme and there is no tele zoom lens for the cam as far as i know,the worst point with the XA 10,I have one on order,i hope i wont regret.
post #4126 of 4142
there is an optically matched XA-10/ G10 tele zoom lens by canon (TL-H58 ), but like the wide angle lens above expensive although there is lesser alternatives...

Check out the Accessories at the bottom of this xa-10 link
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_270654_-1
post #4127 of 4142
I think you misread my post, I already have that wide lens. I was just wondering if anyone had that same sort of setup with their own vixia g10 and what camcorder bag they were using to haul it around in.
post #4128 of 4142
Hello I'm new to this forum but have been reading the post from page 1 to 49 the last few days. I pick up a Canon HF G10 on December 23 2012. I paid $1099 for it at Best Buy. I will say I'm still learning it and studying how to get the best shoots. I hope warm weather get to Indiana before long. I have been playing with video from the late 90's I had a Sony DV camcorder. Most of my video stuff for the last for the last 13 years have be form my motorcycle. I started out using a bullet cam going in to the Sony to store the video. Then in 2010 the GoPro HD came out and went to using it.

I pick the Canon HF G10 because I wanted to start doing more stuff with video. I also pick up a Canon DSLR t3 D1100 for stills. I know it's their low end DSLR but a good start for learn digital photography. I do like to shoot video from a tripod but I do walk around with it some. One thing I have maybe learn for reading the post is to trun off dynamic image stabilzation or I think. One thing I know to is my video is not going to look like hollywood unless everyshot id planned out and staged. I hope I will be able to maybe pick your brain some on some of the settings you all use but I hope to figer them out myself. Here is a link to my playing around over the last few years. Like I said learning to get better this year. A reitired auto worker.

https://vimeo.com/#/home/myvideos
post #4129 of 4142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Bishop View Post

Hello I'm new to this forum but have been reading the post from page 1 to 49 the last few days. I pick up a Canon HF G10 on December 23 2012. I paid $1099 for it at Best Buy. I will say I'm still learning it and studying how to get the best shoots. I hope warm weather get to Indiana before long. I have been playing with video from the late 90's I had a Sony DV camcorder. Most of my video stuff for the last for the last 13 years have be form my motorcycle. I started out using a bullet cam going in to the Sony to store the video. Then in 2010 the GoPro HD came out and went to using it.

I pick the Canon HF G10 because I wanted to start doing more stuff with video. I also pick up a Canon DSLR t3 D1100 for stills. I know it's their low end DSLR but a good start for learn digital photography. I do like to shoot video from a tripod but I do walk around with it some. One thing I have maybe learn for reading the post is to trun off dynamic image stabilzation or I think. One thing I know to is my video is not going to look like hollywood unless everyshot id planned out and staged. I hope I will be able to maybe pick your brain some on some of the settings you all use but I hope to figer them out myself. Here is a link to my playing around over the last few years. Like I said learning to get better this year. A reitired auto worker.

https://vimeo.com/#/home/myvideos

Mike,

Your link didn't work. Please try again!

Bill
post #4130 of 4142
ok here is a link to one of the videos. I hope it works
https://vimeo.com/61437379

If that link do't work might have to take the s off the http.

http://vimeo.com/61437379
Edited by Mike_Bishop - 3/21/13 at 6:48pm
post #4131 of 4142
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

That lens is costly in the extreme and there is no tele zoom lens for the cam as far as i know,the worst point with the XA 10,I have one on order,i hope i wont regret.

Well i bought the 1.5x TL-H58 but use it mainly on the 45-200mm GH2 micro lens,i have since bought the cheaper 2x http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000IOM4Z2/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and it is fine on my XA10 with more zoom length.
post #4132 of 4142
you have to have the cam set up for manual shooting and choose which things you would like to control ie.. manual settings etc.. you can designate which operations you want it to handle in the menu setting for the custom button function.
post #4133 of 4142
a tiny problem

I have a RSVM that works very well using non xlr volume more than load enough. -20 0 +20

when u use a tie mic or any other mic plugged into the small mic input volume drops to almost nothing in settings got everything to 100%

Its a speedlink mic but works perfect in panasonic 900

(the handle was removed to test)

is there an impedence problem or anyone know of a cheepo that works or is there something in the settings 100% btw



Just tried on comp with everything set to 100% speedlink works okey
Edited by terryuk22 - 6/6/13 at 6:03am
post #4134 of 4142
Krazy smoking deal on the G10 canon refurb for $524 today. Get it while it lasts from Canon online store.
post #4135 of 4142
Just posted this video to YouTube on the Canon XF105 and interval recording to show a timelapse. The settings apply to the XF100 and the XF105, and I believe they also are in the XF300 and XF305 cameras.

Please critique and let me know what you think. cool.gif
post #4136 of 4142
A few questions for those that are familiar with Canon camcorders (I own a Canon Vixia HF20)...

1. Is there any way to turn off the LCD display when playing back on an external device? The little glowing screen is annoying and distracting, especially if you are watching the external display in dark settings with the camcorder nearby.

2. MXP appears to be the best quality setting, but seems like it is a little bit harder a format to work with... According to the manual, you can't write an AVCHD disc directly from MXP, and there were a few other things that looked like MXP didn't support... Seems to me FXP (one quality level down) is a better format to use... Opinions on this?

3. Everything is recorded in 60i? Reading the Canon manual for the G10, it looks like almost every framerate format refers to a footnote that says that it is "recorded as 60i". I don't understand this... Why is it that whether I record at 60i, PF30 or PF24, it all is recorded as 60i? The only exception is when you record in 24P.

4. I want to record basketball footage... It's high action and low light (gymnasiums are not very bright)... With my older camera, the guys at Canon suggested I stick with fixing the aperture at f1.8 and let the shutter adjust accordingly... With this new camera that touts low light sensitivity, should I go back to just using the auto setting? Or is aperture priority still the best?

5. Will image stabilization deal with movement encountered on a tripod sitting on a bleacher with lots of walking and vibrations?

6. Will the "Sports" special scene do anything for me for my basketball use case?

7. For my use case, am I best putting money towards buying a refurbished G10 (released in 2011), or use the same money for a mid-level current product (with more up-to-date technology)?

I know there are a lot of questions here...most with answers that beg for opinions versus a single "right" answer...and I am okay with that... Any opinions on any of the above would be graciously accepted!

Thanks!
post #4137 of 4142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post

A few questions for those that are familiar with Canon camcorders (I own a Canon Vixia HF20)...

1. Is there any way to turn off the LCD display when playing back on an external device? The little glowing screen is annoying and distracting, especially if you are watching the external display in dark settings with the camcorder nearby.

2. MXP appears to be the best quality setting, but seems like it is a little bit harder a format to work with... According to the manual, you can't write an AVCHD disc directly from MXP, and there were a few other things that looked like MXP didn't support... Seems to me FXP (one quality level down) is a better format to use... Opinions on this?

3. Everything is recorded in 60i? Reading the Canon manual for the G10, it looks like almost every framerate format refers to a footnote that says that it is "recorded as 60i". I don't understand this... Why is it that whether I record at 60i, PF30 or PF24, it all is recorded as 60i? The only exception is when you record in 24P.

4. I want to record basketball footage... It's high action and low light (gymnasiums are not very bright)... With my older camera, the guys at Canon suggested I stick with fixing the aperture at f1.8 and let the shutter adjust accordingly... With this new camera that touts low light sensitivity, should I go back to just using the auto setting? Or is aperture priority still the best?

5. Will image stabilization deal with movement encountered on a tripod sitting on a bleacher with lots of walking and vibrations?

6. Will the "Sports" special scene do anything for me for my basketball use case?

7. For my use case, am I best putting money towards buying a refurbished G10 (released in 2011), or use the same money for a mid-level current product (with more up-to-date technology)?

I know there are a lot of questions here...most with answers that beg for opinions versus a single "right" answer...and I am okay with that... Any opinions on any of the above would be graciously accepted!

Thanks!

Hi, I use (or have used) the XA10, XF100, and now the XA25. I know you are currently looking at the G10, but it is just a "scaled down" version of the XA10. I'll try my best to answer your questions ...

1. Sure, easy enough ... just close the LCD. I can't remember with the G10, but it IS possible (as it is the case with the XA10) that if you are using the A/V out that it is on the LCD screen side. HDMI out is not a problem as it is on the "handle/grip side." But even this isn't a problem, just shut it (gently) as far as it will go and the screen WILL turn off.

2. I always shot at the best possible quality, which is MXP. (On rare occasions I shot on something lower like XP+ to conform something to 1440x1080 res.) I didn't worry about the saving to AVCHD discs, as that is something I NEVER do. I am always editing/compositing before burning or encoding. I also never have to worry about format because I edit in Edius which handles any and every format (all at the same time) in REALTIME. So it really depends what you are doing with the footage. You could drop down to FXP if burning straight to disc is imperative for you ... the quality difference is subtle in most lighting conditions.

3. Yes, this generation of camcorders does not have straight up 30p (or 60p for that matter) like the the fx100/105 and now XA20/25's. It use what is called PF mode, where it is SHOT as progressive but RECORDED to interlaced frames. It does do 24p as you noted, and also (be careful) has PF24 mode. Why you would want to use PF24 instead of 24P I am not sure? Maybe compatibility reasons with certain software? The XF100's can only do 60p at 1280x720, but they do 30p and 24p at full-1080p. The XA20/25 can do everything at full 1080p and even have TRUE overcrank/undercrank recording which is REALLY nice. A lot of software will see the PF stuff as interlaced (like After Effects for example) ... you just need to tell it it is NOT interlaced and there should not be a problem. Basically it is recording a whole picture to each interlaced frame ... it's the way it is contained, NOT the way it is captured.

4. That is one of the toughest situations, because obviously a high shutter speed is going to let in a lot less light. I would go Manual (I rarely shoot anything not on Manual) and keep the iris wide open, and then compromise on the shutter speed. In other words, I'd rather have a decently lit picture with some motion-blurring, rather than crisp motion but you can hardly see anything. The newer cams may have slightly better low-light performance, and you can also control the gain ... so if you don't mind a little grain, that is an option too.

5. Yes. Different cameras and different modes will handle it better than others of course. The G10 on up have powered IS.

6. Again, I'd go Manual ... why wouldn't you want total control? The Sports mode is basically just going to crank up the shutter speed. I've never seen a camera that has a MODE that can't be outdone by human hands. The only time I use a preset mode is when I don't have time to set things up -- so if it's a case of put it in this mode and get the shot, or miss it.

7. I started out looking at the G10, than the XA10 (which I rented for a while) would be a much better choice, and ultimately realized the XF100 was for me, and worth the extra. Then XA20 line came along. It took me a long time and a lot of rentals in the meantime, but I saved up to get the better gear.
Edited by timoteo - 10/29/13 at 5:36am
post #4138 of 4142
Wow... You are a god-send timoteo... Thanks so much for your reply...

#1 - So this only works if I use the connectors on the other side of the flip out screen...not if I use the composite video behind the screen... Also, by closing the screen, I will lose the ability to control the video playback via remote control... Correct? I am good with this answer...I just want to confirm that there is no other way to turn the video screen off...and that I understand the limitations...

#3 - OK...so it's actually properly and accurately recording at 30FPS and 24FPS, but it is stored in a 60i container... When recording at 30FPS (even though it is stored in a 60i container), does it still behave like a 30FPS video file from an editing and behavioral perspective? Also, in my basketball use case, 60FPS typically does not handle low light as well as 30FPS... If that behavior is still true here, what is your opinion on whether I should use 30FPS versus 60i for indoor basketball footage? (Again, I realize that this would be opinion...and I am happy to get that from you).

#7 - Thanks...I agree... At this point, I am willing to spend about $600.00. This will allow me to buy the refurbished G10 (which gives me the luxury of owning a high end camera of 2011), or a mid-level model in Canon's current line-up... I guess I also have the option of spending half of that ($280) to repair my HF-20 from 2006. My main question here is given that I don't buy camcorders every day...or every few years... Where is my money best spent? On a high end camera from yesteryear (HF G10) or a mid-level camera from today (say, an HF R42...which MSRPs for $450.00).

New Question - What video editor are you using? What works best for manipulating a set of MXP formatted files? My understanding is that MXP files require manipulation on a high-end computer due to the processing power required to handle these high resolution files... I am currently using Pinnacle Studio for Windows, which is a bit of a dog (but it could be my 5 year old computer)...
post #4139 of 4142
Quote:
OK...so it's actually properly and accurately recording at 30FPS and 24FPS, but it is stored in a 60i container... When recording at 30FPS (even though it is stored in a 60i container), does it still behave like a 30FPS video file from an editing and behavioral perspective?
Google for "Progressive Segmented Frame". You can edit it as progressive if your NLE allows overriding project and/or clip format. Don't bother with PF24 unless you are willing to reverse telecine (you will need special software to do that).
Quote:
Also, in my basketball use case, 60FPS typically does not handle low light as well as 30FPS... If that behavior is still true here, what is your opinion on whether I should use 30FPS versus 60i for indoor basketball footage?
30fps has more stuttering, but in dark sports room you will use slower shutter speed, so it should not be that bad, especially if you either shoot wide (little movement onscreen) or you follow a player when you shoot closeups (no movement of subject relative to screen).
Quote:
I am currently using Pinnacle Studio for Windows, which is a bit of a dog (but it could be my 5 year old computer)
I have a 5-year old AMD Phenom 2.2 GHz, and Sony Vegas works reasonably fast on it starting from version 10. Download evaluation version and see for yourself.
post #4140 of 4142
Fantastic...thanks for your reply Ungermann!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Google for "Progressive Segmented Frame". You can edit it as progressive if your NLE allows overriding project and/or clip format. Don't bother with PF24 unless you are willing to reverse telecine (you will need special software to do that).

Thanks... Good advice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

30fps has more stuttering, but in dark sports room you will use slower shutter speed, so it should not be that bad, especially if you either shoot wide (little movement onscreen) or you follow a player when you shoot closeups (no movement of subject relative to screen).

I typically zoom out to get the "big picture"... When I first started recording my son's basketball games, I made the fatherly mistake of concentrating on my son...which made it difficult to see how the game was actually being played... Now I sit at half-court and pan left and right at a wide zoom so that I can catch where everyone is, and what everyone is doing (including my son!). And it's not exactly "dark"... It's just not "bright" either... The guys at Canon told me that unless you are out in the sunlight, almost all indoor activities are considered "low-light"...

That said, am I better off with 60i in a 60i container, or PF30 in a 60i container?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

I have a 5-year old AMD Phenom 2.2 GHz, and Sony Vegas works reasonably fast on it starting from version 10. Download evaluation version and see for yourself.

Sweet... I'll have to give that a try... Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), my computer is no longer working, so I am in the market for a new PC... I am looking at getting a i7-based desktop with 8gb+ of RAM and plenty of HDD storage...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Camcorders
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Canon HF G10, XA10, XF100, XF105 Owners Thread