The Small Room: 13' X 14' with 8' ceilings in the corner of my basement. Obstacles include ducting and a support beam along one side, electrical and water access in one corner and 16 feet of narrow windows along two sides.
The Equipment: Some old, some new.
- Receiver: Pioneer VSX-919 ($385) 7.1 receiver
- Speakers: Camber 3.5ti fronts & center ($1200), Mission surrounds ($35 garage sale).
- Subwoofer: Quasi-moto mix of 2X12" car subs driven by a vintage Kenwood amp. $400
- Source: PS3 ($300)
- Screen - White over silver Spandex acoustically transparent - constant area 112" wide ($100)
- Projector: Acer 5360 ($580) (Died of fan failure March 22, 2013 RIP)
Total equipment - $3000 purchased over the last 15 years.
Total room construction with acoustical treatment - $1500.
Total theater cost - $4500
Viewing distance - 9.5 feet.
Projector - 14 feet using a mirror to gain the required throw distance.
Edited by DavidK442 - 3/23/13 at 4:52am