or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 1859
Thread Starter 
pretty sure its 1366x768
post #122 of 1859
The real question...

I want the pn43d450, but the 490 seems pretty cool with the 3d and all. I don't really know what to do. I could save the $200 and keep that money to save up for the oppo BDP93, which I'll need for 3D. Then a few years down the road, pick up a 59" 1080p 3D plasma, and move the 43" to the bedroom.

I'm not really thrilled about downgrading to 720p from 1080p. Although I'm sure I can't tell the difference, just knowing is bad for me.

The Reason:

I'm replacing a Sammy 32" 1080p, 120hz, LCD. Wondering how different it would be to have a 720p tv.
post #123 of 1859
Thread Starter 
I replaced my 1080p LED-LCD Tv, and my 1080p LCD Tv for this 720p Plasma, and I have absolutely zero regrets. This picture makes the other two look average. I also opted to get the D450 and keep the extra $$$ and put it towards my blu ray player. Im still not thrilled with the idea of using glasses for 3D viewing. If/when they come out with 3D without glasses, Ill go for it then.

As far as 720p/1080p, you wont be able to notice on this size screen. Anyways, you can set it to display at 1080p, and it looks amazing. Blu Ray at 24fps looks great, and xbox 360 via hdmi looks great. Components for 720p HD cable, and it also looks great. The picture quality is something you wont complain about
post #124 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

here's some 1080p shots of 300





okay, just to get this straight, you are outputting 1080p, HD DVD from your xbox 360. But your input is 720p, correct?
post #125 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

I replaced my 1080p LED-LCD Tv, and my 1080p LCD Tv for this 720p Plasma, and I have absolutely zero regrets. This picture makes the other two look average. I also opted to get the D450 and keep the extra $$$ and put it towards my blu ray player. Im still not thrilled with the idea of using glasses for 3D viewing. If/when they come out with 3D without glasses, Ill go for it then.

As far as 720p/1080p, you wont be able to notice on this size screen. Anyways, you can set it to display at 1080p, and it looks amazing. Blu Ray at 24fps looks great, and xbox 360 via hdmi looks great. Components for 720p HD cable, and it also looks great. The picture quality is something you wont complain about

okay eckohb, thanks for the input, now I just have to wonder how bad the buzzing is going to be. I live in Mammoth Lakes, Ca, so I'm up at 8,103ft. I know they say not to have a plasma above 6K ft, or it will buzz like crazy.
post #126 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by channad View Post

I have been trying to find out what the native resolution on the PN43D450 and PN43D490 are:

1280 x 720: 1366 x 768:
Samsung.com Logicbuy.com
abt.com

also, the previous posting about which res to set your Cable DVR for the best picture is also saying the tv is not true 720p. Just wondering if anybody knows what the true native resolution for these tvs. I'm talking about the 43", either the 450 or 490.

Neither.

The 43" are 1024x768p.
The 51" are 1360x768p.

You must be referring to this post I made; I wrote there, what the native resolutions of these TVs are (which are par for the course on plasmas in these sizes, btw)):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20211375
post #127 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feellia View Post

With a HDMI connect, the only thing I see with RGB is under white balance

Thanks I just wanted to know if it had the options to do Red only, Green only and Blue only modes to dial in the colors.
post #128 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

Neither.

The 43" are 1024x768p.
The 51" are 1360x768p.

You must be referring to this post I made; I wrote there, what the native resolutions of these TVs are (which are par for the course on plasmas in these sizes, btw)):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20211375

yup! It was your post...I still can't figure our how they can advertise 720p when the tv's native res is something completely different. Makes me want to save up and wait for a 1080p tv.
post #129 of 1859
Thread Starter 
channad, yes, those pictures are displayed at 1080p from the 360 via hdmi, yet the TV is only 720p. Maybe QZ1 can offer more information as to how that works, because it baffles me as well lol.
post #130 of 1859
I don't why people have it set on 1080p, it should be set to 720p. Setting it on 1080p means more scaling, and more scaling means that it will looks worse.
post #131 of 1859
Thread Starter 
because it DOESNT look better on 720p lol. On my Blu Ray, playing at 24fps in 1080p, it looks better than 720p at 60. On my xbox, i cant even tell the difference. The xbox automatically detected 1080p, so im not going to change it
post #132 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

I don't why people have it set on 1080p, it should be set to 720p. Setting it on 1080p means more scaling, and more scaling means that it will looks worse.

No it doesn't. There is more scaling involed when set to 720p.
post #133 of 1859
Thread Starter 
why wouldnt I use 1080p when it looks like this?



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #134 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
Just hooked up a harddisk to it. Then just go to the file and enter it.
Maybe the European models are different. I tried viewing a .AVI movie file on the USB drive and it will only find audio files and JPEG video files. You can only choose to view "photos" or "audio".
post #135 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog044 View Post
Maybe the European models are different. I tried viewing a .AVI movie file on the USB drive and it will only find audio files and JPEG video files. You can only choose to view "photos" or "audio".
The D450 doesn't have video playback through USB. You'll have to use the Blu-ray player.

The D450, however, does have .AVI playback, plus 3D, plus swivel base. $500 vs $700 for these features
post #136 of 1859
When I press content and then left on the remote I go to the My content section. There is video - pictures - music in that order. You can play content from there. (European model d450)

Although I don't use this feature, it's nice that it's in there.
post #137 of 1859
FYI, my samsung actually is PS43D450, I'm in asia, That TV is made in Indonesia, and the USB is capable of playing .AVI .MKV, music and photos. I tried plugging my ext HD to the TV, my ext HD format is FAT32 and it can detect perfectly.
post #138 of 1859
I finally made the decision and bought one of these off of Amazon! Hopefully I will be getting it wednesday next week. Relatively new to the whole plasma tech and wasn't sure if anyone here had recommendations on breaking in. I was reading some of the break in sticky and just wasn't sure what the general agreement was on this.
post #139 of 1859
Thread Starter 
After doing some research, I decided not to break in the TV. I just use it as I would any normal day. No burn in or image retention, and I play a good amount of video games. I set a sleep timer if I ever feel like Im going to fall asleep watching TV. I wouldnt be too over cautious with it, just use it like you would a regular TV.
post #140 of 1859
I have the North American model of the PN43D450, anyone know how to get it to play .avi files?
post #141 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamevincenttt View Post

I have the North American model of the PN43D450, anyone know how to get it to play .avi files?

I don't think it's possible. I only have photos and music options through the "media play" function. It would be nice if we could get a firmware update from Samsung to have this capability. For now, I would have to use my son's PS3 but I would prefer to leave that in my family room and be able to just plug a flash drive in the Samsung to watch video .AVI files.
post #142 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog044 View Post

I don't think it's possible. I only have photos and music options through the "media play" function. It would be nice if we could get a firmware update from Samsung to have this capability. For now, I would have to use my son's PS3 but I would prefer to leave that in my family room and be able to just plug a flash drive in the Samsung to watch video .AVI files.

Yeah me too. Didn't someone say earlier that their european model could play movies through a usb drive? Or was that something else
post #143 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamevincenttt View Post

Yeah me too. Didn't someone say earlier that their european model could play movies through a usb drive? Or was that something else

Yes, apparently the european model can so I don't see why firmware wouldn't allow the US models to do the same. Perhaps it's worth a shout to Samsung?
post #144 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

After doing some research, I decided not to break in the TV. I just use it as I would any normal day. No burn in or image retention, and I play a good amount of video games. I set a sleep timer if I ever feel like Im going to fall asleep watching TV. I wouldnt be too over cautious with it, just use it like you would a regular TV.

Great! Thanks for the tip. I will not bother with running those slides or whatever. I will probably watch out for letterbox bars just in case though.
post #145 of 1859
Thread Starter 
If you have letterbox, or 4:3 channels, just put the TV on widefit. I do the same thing. Thats the only caution I take with this TV, is just making sure the black bars arent sitting there for hours, although I wanted to ask that question regarding blu rays. Some parts of a blu ray are 16:9 while other parts are full screen. Hopefully watchin a few blu rays here and there wont cause anything negative
post #146 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean01 View Post

The D450 doesn't have video playback through USB. You'll have to use the Blu-ray player.

The D450, however, does have .AVI playback, plus 3D, plus swivel base. $500 vs $700 for these features

- You mean the D490, which is the 3D version, does have .AVI playback etc, .
post #147 of 1859
Can someone here tell me about 3D viewing on the 490 please?

Does it look good even thought the native res is not 1080?

Do you have to sit centered to the tv? How does the 3D look when viewing is done off center?

Do I need to have the expensive Sammy 3D glasses, or will any cheapo pair work?
post #148 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

channad, yes, those pictures are displayed at 1080p from the 360 via hdmi, yet the TV is only 720p. Maybe QZ1 can offer more information as to how that works, because it baffles me as well lol.

What is happening is you are having the Xbox 360 send a 1920x1080p signal to the TV, and then the TV is downscaling (downconverting) the signal to the TV's fixed resolution of 1024x768p or 1366x768p (depending on TV size). The TV can accept many resolutions, but it can only display one resolution.
post #149 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

I don't why people have it set on 1080p, it should be set to 720p. Setting it on 1080p means more scaling, and more scaling means that it will looks worse.

None of the D450/D490 TVs are 1280x720p; it has been said numerous times by me, that the 43" are 1024x768p and the 51" are 1360x768p; there is scaling in either case. The difference is what type of scaling; up, down, or up and down; this is all detailed in that previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmeng View Post

No it doesn't. There is more scaling involed when set to 720p.

Well, the key is that resolution is being thrown away in unnecessarily downscaling 1920x1080i to 1280x720p, and it can't be recreated properly when the 51" TV upscales vertically and horizontally to the TV's fixed resolution of 1366x768p (or in the case of the 43" TV, it upscales vertically (and downscales horiz.) to 1024x768p).

Never downscale a signal vertically and/or horizontally to less than the panel's fixed resolution; which is what happens with 1080p/i signal going to 720p, and then to TV's 768p fixed resolution. (I left out the horizontal res. to make it simpler, though it matters, as I explained before.)
post #150 of 1859
If your cable carrier is Comcast see if you can get the Pace RNG110 STB and use HDMI. It allows you to set the video output to "pass through" and the TV can handle any necessary conversions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread