or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread - Page 11

post #301 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_o_00 View Post

I put mine around the power cord as well, although they're too big for it and just slide around.

The power cord has to be looped around the ferrite core once, in order to secure it.
post #302 of 1859
thanks to all those that answered my question about file types being played from a HDD. Greatly appreciate that.

Now for the next question. Anyone mounted the 450 or 490 above a fireplace? Any heat issues? Please chime in.

I plan to place either the 450 or 490 above my wood burning stove (kinda like a fireplace), which has a mantle about 3 feet higher than the door of the stove. The tv would go above the mantle. I heard that if the fireplace gets above 90 degrees, then a plasma is not a good idea. I also live above 8,000 ft, so I may get some buzzing.

I just don't want to get an LCD after seeing these beautiful plasma sets.
post #303 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

The power cord has to be looped around the ferrite core once, in order to secure it.

lol that makes sense then.
post #304 of 1859
Best Buy send a rep out for free to adjust quality settings? I need to call and check on this
post #305 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigolo View Post

Menu graphic looks like last year c450 or looks like new Dxxxx models? Look here (from time 1:45 and 3:43) for old c450 and here for Dxxxx. Thanks.

Like the c450, the first video
post #306 of 1859
Thanks gregor7777.
post #307 of 1859
Do the ferrite cores help with buzzing or just video interference?

CM
post #308 of 1859
Thread Starter 
pretty sure the cores are for interference. buzzing is dependent on your altitude, the type of set youve got, and other factors. As ive stated, I live virtually at sea level and my buzzing is only heard with the tv muted and putting my head within a foot of it. since i'll never watch tv this way, im ok with it
post #309 of 1859
Are there any professional reviews floating around out there yet?
post #310 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe21 View Post

Best Buy send a rep out for free to adjust quality settings? I need to call and check on this

You shouldn't let BB adjust any settings on your TV, they'd likely make it worse, from what I've heard; it wouldn't be free, anyway, btw.
post #311 of 1859
Thread Starter 
BB would make it worse with their software?? Thats the first I've heard of that, since they use colorometers to gauge the output of the TV. Maybe im wrong
post #312 of 1859
Well, maybe not 'likely', but I have heard of a few cases where they did make it worse. Even more people felt the difference wasn't worth the cost. Since it varies by store and by person calibrating, as to the devices used (if any) and/or their skill, there might be some people who have been happy with it. Regardless, it doesn't sound to me to be worth chancing it. Better to get a ISF pro calibration, eventhough it'd be more $, it'd almost surely be much better.
post #313 of 1859
I have a US pn43d490 and the cell light setting goes to 20
post #314 of 1859
Hello! A week ago, I bought a PN51D450 to replace a dying projector (Infocus 4805) which has served us well for the past five years . This is literally the first TV I've owned in about 10 years.

For this price point, the picture is amazing! In fact, I liked the picture on this model better than most of the more "higher end" models that I could find to see in person. The more expensive models seemed to me to have some kind of weird filter that made the images less sharp, almost like a DLP TV...

In any case, I'm having two small issues with this TV, and was wondering if you guys might have any advice.

We are using a PS3 to feed the PN51D450 via HDMI cable. Source material includes blu-rays, DVDs, and Netflix, all via the PS3. We have it set to "cinema" or "movie" mode, I can't remember what it's called.

1) "Shut-off black" - Whenever my source material fades to black completely, the PN51D450 turns off all lighting to the screen - completely! This is rather distracting, because it is a little bit different than just showing the natural "black" that the plasma can produce without shutting off the screen... I hope I'm making sense here! Is there any way to turn this function off?

2) Possible "banding". When I'm in the Netflix application, browsing through movies, there is part of the screen that is a solid red bar. On my screen, there is a slight discoloration on either side of this bar that appears to be a little bit "grey", different from the background color. Is this "banding"? I'm not noticing it when watching regular material, in fact, the only time I've noticed it, is with the Netflix menu. Would this "banding" be cause for a return?

Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions or feedback!
post #315 of 1859
Phoveo,
1) turn off the Eco mode/sensor in the tv settings menu. This should disable the black switching off issue you are having. Also check all the advanced picture settings and be sure all power saving is turned off. I can't remember if there are additional settings there

2) sounds like banding. Relax, every plasma does this even Kuros.
post #316 of 1859
I'm getting the 51" D450 this coming Friday...for free. Can't wait. It was from one of those "buy X amount of furniture, get a free TV" sales going on at a local store.
post #317 of 1859
Legoheads - thanks very much for the advice - I'll relax! If it means anything to ya, I threw away the box after reading your post. Thanks!
post #318 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwood88 View Post

samsung43"D450

Thanks a lot kenwood.

Your TV is in an office correct?

Whats causing the reflections...light fixture? windows? or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post

I'm getting the 51" D450 this coming Friday...for free. Can't wait. It was from one of those "buy X amount of furniture, get a free TV" sales going on at a local store.

Come back and post some photos or video.

I really do love seeing photos or video of electronics,etc especially of a TV i'm considering purchasing.

On another note eckohb thanks to you as well for posting up photos....i remember asking you to do so for all of us and you came through.
post #319 of 1859
I have a question....anyone with experience or knowledge about this feel free to chime in.

If i order the TV from Amazon.com is it true that if i'm not satisfy with the TV within 30 days...amazon can send someone out to come pick it up?

I've seen posters around here say so and i called amazon and asked and they said yes but i'm want to be completely sure.
post #320 of 1859
Am I alone on the 43" D450? This is an email I fired off to mate of mine who is thinking of purchasing the D550 (I was too):

"I’m putting a hold on the D550 as the D450 is doing what I have read is fairly common on the AVSforums.com site: black levels change during the same scene. In other words, scene isn’t changing at all but the black levels adjust - get lighter for some reason and depending on the duration of the scene, seem to either stay lighter or darken again. It’s most likely an image processing fault and one not particular to my unit, so I’m not going to replace it. It is noticeable to me and happens quite often, but I’ve not tested in all circumstances, only at present via HDMI PS3 on xvid / divx material (not sure if a change of variables would fix this, seems unlikely).

Also black levels at times will be deep and dark but in other scenes where I’d expect them to be the same, they’re simply not and certainly lighter than they should be."\\

I applied the latest firmware update but no difference. Anyone else or am I alone in this unique user experience?
post #321 of 1859
'Standard' mode, with the ECO Sensor ON, fluctuates like that, (and it's too dim, anyway). You should switch it to 'Movie' mode, with the ECO Sensor OFF; that doesn't fluctuate, at least not for me, and some (all?) others; (also, it's the best mode to calibrate).
post #322 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth123123 View Post

I have a question....anyone with experience or knowledge about this feel free to chime in.

If i order the TV from Amazon.com is it true that if i'm not satisfy with the TV within 30 days...amazon can send someone out to come pick it up?

I've seen posters around here say so and i called amazon and asked and they said yes but i'm want to be completely sure.

Well, you're smart not to just take their word for it. However, all you need to do is look at their site, and the TV return policy is relatively easy to find and is clear; print that, and you'd have it in writing. Oh, and btw, the answer is yes, indeed, what you've read is their policy, in summary.
post #323 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post
'Standard' mode, with the ECO Sensor ON, fluctuates like that, (and it's too dim, anyway). You should switch it to 'Movie' mode, with the ECO Sensor OFF; that doesn't fluctuate, at least not for me, and some (all?) others; (also, it's the best mode to calibrate).
It has always been on Movie mode and was calibrated via the AVSforum.com disk. I since tried the standard mode to see if it would change the outcome but it didn't. All power saving and image processing has been off. I've since done more testing and it seems it could be the file itself that's being decoded. I notice it happens a lot with 'The Event' xvid rips (both via PS3 / HDMI and also internal media player via USB). Also doesn't happen at all with any PS3 games. A friend of mine said it could very likely be the file itself. I will do more testing tonight, grabbing a 720p MKV of an episode of 'The Event' and scrutinise. I'll also test a Blu-Ray and see if there are any fluctuations in black level.

And maybe it's actually the file itself (nothing to do with the format), I will test it on my PC tonight when all is dark and well. Could be the encoding or hey, could even be the original broadcast! Far too quick to jump to conclusions thinking it's the unit after all of these comments on 'brightness pops' (which it's not in my case, it's actually a black-level adjustment).

UPDATE:

Tested in on the PC on both The Event and Lights Out (latter in a spot I would keep seeing black levels rise suddenly consistently upon replaying the scene) and it's not the file so is certainly the tv.

Like in one scene where the character turns to the camera - black levels should stay the same - there's no need for them to get lighter but rather the amount of shadows in the scene would decrease slightly. And if there was to be lightening of tones, it would be natural and transitional, not a 'pop'.

Not a train-smash but a shame. This seems to be happening with xvids. I'll try on my singular blu-ray tonight.
post #324 of 1859
Thread Starter 
i dont have any fluctuations in blacks on my 360, blu ray, or cable box. I also havent tried watching files, so I would look more into that area.
post #325 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

i dont have any fluctuations in blacks on my 360, blu ray, or cable box. I also havent tried watching files, so I would look more into that area.

IMO, the above is poor advice. Just because one TV doesn't have the problem (or the owner simply doesn't notice it) doesn't mean you should accept what could be a defect in the TV. Keep testing, and if you're not happy, return it.
post #326 of 1859
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post

IMO, the above is poor advice. Just because one TV doesn't have the problem (or the owner simply doesn't notice it) doesn't mean you should accept what could be a defect in the TV. Keep testing, and if you're not happy, return it.

What other advice am I supposed to give besides my personal experience? I havent sat in his living room or anyones elses with the same TV, so please explain exactly what you would have preferred me to say? (I simply look for any defects which is why I went through three TVs before settling on this one). QZ1 stated as well he does not have this issue. All I was doing was reaffirming that there are sets that dont have this problem. And since I havent tried watching via files, that maybe he should look into that area more, since I have no fluctuations with any other source. Anything else with your .02?
post #327 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

What other advice am I supposed to give besides my personal experience? I havent sat in his living room or anyones elses with the same TV, so please explain exactly what you would have preferred me to say? (I simply look for any defects which is why I went through three TVs before settling on this one). QZ1 stated as well he does not have this issue. All I was doing was reaffirming that there are sets that dont have this problem. And since I havent tried watching via files, that maybe he should look into that area more, since I have no fluctuations with any other source. Anything else with your .02?

Agreed mate, you did give your opinion based on what knowledge you'd have practical experience with. It's all good

I'm just reading this being an issue too with the D550's. I'm in the process of trying to ascertain if the TV is doing ANY processing because if so, that's quite possibly where the issue is occurring. I honestly do not consider the unit to have a defect that is worthy of replacement as another will be the same - it would be the way the unit is processing data and one motherboard / chip etc is the same as another (or maybe it's a batch). Whatever it is, I've been through 2 x LED returns and the plasma is still great. For this price you don't get better even with minor flaws.

I'm also going to test by plugging in my PC to the plasma and seeing if I get any pops. I don't think it's the file as I had no issues when testing on the PC.

Surely the unit if it's happening both on PS3 AND via internal media center? Anyway, I'm testing tonight on an MKV / MPG for PS3 and then a blu-ray - see what I can deduct.

UPDATE:

Seems to happen very occasionally - if ever - on 720p MP4's that I viewed last night (such as 'Sunshine' - lots of dark scenes and would be noticeable if so). I'm wondering if these pops are more likely on std def 480p etc material that the unit is then up-scaling to its native res. Time will tell...
post #328 of 1859
Hey all, first time poster here! I'm a potential buyer of the euro version, the PS-51d450, and I believe it's pretty much the same set as the north american PN-51d450... The user reviews here and on Amazon are really great and this tv seems to be a good surprise in its price range (699 euros here in France). But i stumbled upon a review on the televisioninfo website...

That review is very harsh, especially considering the 720p resolution... I really don't care about owning a 1080p set as i believe the difference between 720p and 1080p on plasma panels in the 50' range is marginal. But the reviewer seems to think otherwise considering this panel... I've owned an "HD ready" 42" Hitachi set for the past 4 years and I was extremely satisfied with its PQ: the colours were natural and vivid, and it showed fine detail. Only the black level could have been deeper, and I want a bigger screen now!
So I am naturally drawn to this particular TV, but this review scares me a little, so I guess I need reassuring! Does the 720p really hurt on a 51" screen?? What about the scaling problems mentioned?

Thanks for your input!
post #329 of 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsou View Post

Hey all, first time poster here! I'm a potential buyer of the euro version, the PS-51d450, and I believe it's pretty much the same set as the north american PN-51d450... The user reviews here and on Amazon are really great and this tv seems to be a good surprise in its price range (699 euros here in France). But i stumbled upon a review on the televisioninfo website...

That review is very harsh, especially considering the 720p resolution... I really don't care about owning a 1080p set as i believe the difference between 720p and 1080p on plasma panels in the 50' range is marginal. But the reviewer seems to think otherwise considering this panel... I've owned an "HD ready" 42" Hitachi set for the past 4 years and I was extremely satisfied with its PQ: the colours were natural and vivid, and it showed fine detail. Only the black level could have been deeper, and I want a bigger screen now!
So I am naturally drawn to this particular TV, but this review scares me a little, so I guess I need reassuring! Does the 720p really hurt on a 51" screen?? What about the scaling problems mentioned?

Thanks for your input!

Can you post a link to the review?

Quote:


What other advice am I supposed to give besides my personal experience?

I misunderstood you. Apologies. I simply meant to be sure to check any and all possibilities.

I was reading your earlier comments about this TV displaying native 1080p and then saw your post here. It seemed as though you had no idea what you were talking about. Just my $0.02 I guess.
post #330 of 1859
AVS doesn't allow the posting of URL's unless you've posted 3 times!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Samsung PNxxD450/PNxxD490 Owners Thread