or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Panasonic TM900 vs Sony CX560/700V vs Canon HF G10 Steel Cage Match Comparison Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic TM900 vs Sony CX560/700V vs Canon HF G10 Steel Cage Match Comparison Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 270
I finally opened the box in my bed and connected the TM900 to the AC for charging. I put the Sony CX560 side by side with the 900. The 560 is smaller and the build quality seems to be a bit better but the 900 is not bad and acceptable. I read the owner manual about 1/4 (better and more detail than Sony) and already fell into sleep. I woke up at 6:00 as usual and immediately fired the 900 up and shoot some indoor at the kitchen and my study room (with light on). Beside setting up the time and location, I shot with all the setting unchanged as right out of the box. Since I had no time to intall the software in my computer, I can only compare at the screen of the two camcorder. I have no suprise that (according to you guys mentioned in the forum) Sony's overall video quality is brighter but I can see in the 900's screen that the image is sharper and speed of autofocusing is faster( I cannot examine any noise in the small screen). I cannot give the comment of color at this moment but base on the last 2-3 days with the 560, my impression is 560 color lean-to warmer and 900 lean to cooler. I have a Dell 2711 monitor and is hardware calibrated once every few month. Hopefully some setting within the camcorders can help correct. However from what I read yesterday evening, the 900 can have more manual control and buttons to control. A brief thought at this moment is 560 is good for people who do not want to go deep into the manu but just point at shoot especially with very good performace at indoor. However it seems if everything set to auto, the video quality could be changed at times. The 900 seems for those people who want to go deeper, have more control by themselves and more demanding. I will take the 900 with me to work today and take some outdoor video and share with you guys after but again, it will be a cloudy day also. On coming Saturday, I will bring the two camcorder to shoot my son basket game and porbably the decision will be made after. As you all know, every brand has their own strength and weaknes and how much you like it is absolutely your personal perference. Nothing right or wrong and which one is better. I heard one of my friends told me he enjoyed driving in his Honda than any expensive car and may be it is true because only he can tell
I will do post-editing after take photo but probably will not do it after video taking. As I am getting older, I would like to always look back for what I have done so learning to take video will be interesting to me.
Again, I am very new in take video (after 20 years) and you guys are expert. Your comment and advice is much welcome and appreciate.
Although I am not going to post the video in the web at the begining, do tell me how to do it and the setting of video to make me easier if I have time to share with you. My work is rather busy and stressful at times, please forgive me if I cannot follow too close with you.
Thanks
post #122 of 270
I made a comment earlier saying that after watching a video, i was convinced the TM900 was quite a bit better outdoors than the HF G10 (based on video footage).
Here is the footage of the TM900...colours look so good
http://www.vimeo.com/21917614
post #123 of 270
Interesting in that your 700 like mine leaned toward "warm, red".
the ones I've seen others using leaned toward a cool grayish blue.
post #124 of 270
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Vimeo did not like my raw 1080p files. I think it has trouble with high bitrates.


That might just be it. It might have a limit as to what it can handle. I've not tried Vimeo customer support as I'm a free member but they ought to have the answer,
post #125 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Interesting in that your 700 like mine leaned toward "warm, red".
the ones I've seen others using leaned toward a cool grayish blue.

See Dave, yours apparently wasn't the only one...kinda like finding gold in your backyard. Man, the QC on these units (both Panny & Sony) really suck. But it's funny, a buddy of mine always wind up getting the same camcorders and we used to find a tremendous variation on AWB setups from the small Sonys. The TRV series was really bad with this. You'd get one unit that was dead on and another that was really bad.
post #126 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Huntley View Post

I made a comment earlier saying that after watching a video, i was convinced the TM900 was quite a bit better outdoors than the HF G10 (based on video footage).
Here is the footage of the TM900...colours look so good
http://www.vimeo.com/21917614

The colors do look good, but I'm not sure that's something that the Canon can't do. I've seen some pretty nice colors on the Canons too. Where I think there may be a disparity, is in the detail & sharpness. But some who have played with both cams say they're really close, so maybe I'm wrong.
post #127 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
The colors do look good, but I'm not sure that's something that the Canon can't do. I've seen some pretty nice colors on the Canons too. Where I think there may be a disparity, is in the detail & sharpness. But some who have played with both cams say they're really close, so maybe I'm wrong.
Paramon's footage showed a slight red shift in the Canon's footage, which I guess could be fixed up post production. Still, it definitely was missing something, detail and sharpness as you say, and in my opinion, vibrant colours
post #128 of 270
The reddish hue is the result of AWB. Using MWB or a preset should solve that. But it shouldn't be red in all cases.

Which clip are you referring to? I think he had several. But actual owners report no issues with sharpness & detail, even relative to the Pannys.

Even the link you provided showed gorgeous colors at night. If it can do that at night, I can't see why it wouldn't during the day.
post #129 of 270
I have shot some video this afternoon after lunch at the park. I reviewed in my vechicle and overall it is the winner at picture quality, sharper and faster in autoforcus. However I am not sure if it is over my TM900, I heard fan noise, some minor "clicking" and "flicking" on and off over the playback but I did not hear any beep sound that has been mentioned by some of you or I miss it. Will install the software to see in my computer if these "sound" persisted.

http://www.vimeo.com/22005766

http://www.vimeo.com/22001149
post #130 of 270
Hi all,

Please help give comment (which one is better) on these two video taken by Pan TM900 or Sony CX560 to help me make decision.
http://vimeo.com/22101179

http://vimeo.com/22100520
I will post another two video after I have taken video for my son's basket ball game on Saturday.

Thank you
post #131 of 270
I like the first one 1179 I owned both cameras and like the tm900 way better than the Sony outside. Hope that's the panny video clip it looks like it to me.
post #132 of 270
Thanks for reply, hopefully after my son's basket ball will come to a conclusion
post #133 of 270
I'm with GSO... the first clip kills the second one.
post #134 of 270
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatKing View Post
Hi all,

Please help give comment (which one is better) on these two video taken by Pan TM900 or Sony CX560 to help me make decision.
http://vimeo.com/22101179

http://vimeo.com/22100520
I will post another two video after I have taken video for my son's basket ball game on Saturday.

Thank you

The first video the 1179 looks far better than the other one, by a large margin.
post #135 of 270
Thanks guys. Please feel free to share how you like the 1st over the 2nd or the 2nd over the 1st. Again it is really no right or wrong but only personal perference.

As I am very new in taking video, your input will be part of my consideration to make decision. Will post another two video after my son's basket game.

Your comment and advice is much appreciate.

Thanks
post #136 of 270
I know you tried to make both video's as close to the same, they are not exact. So being able to really say one is better then the other is just wishful guessing.
To me they both look good.
post #137 of 270
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatKing View Post

Thanks guys. Please feel free to share how you like the 1st over the 2nd or the 2nd over the 1st. Again it is really no right or wrong but only personal perference.

As I am very new in taking video, your input will be part of my consideration to make decision. Will post another two video after my son's basket game.

Your comment and advice is much appreciate.

Thanks


Here's an idea, mount both cams on a bar right next to each other and take a video and then you will get the same look on each one. It'll require a couple of clamps and a couple of cheap tripod mounts and a piece of PVC pipe.
post #138 of 270
Video 1179 without any doubt is the better one
post #139 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotase View Post

Video 1179 without any doubt is the better one

Just what makes it the better of the two?
post #140 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post

Here's an idea, mount both cams on a bar right next to each other and take a video and then you will get the same look on each one. It'll require a couple of clamps and a couple of cheap tripod mounts and a piece of PVC pipe.

You can use ordinary 1/4 inch by 20 thread bolts to mount the cameras. That's the exact size of the standard tripod mounting bolt. They are available in any hardware store.

The one thing to be super careful about is, if the bolt is longer than the depth of the camera mounting hole, do not to screw the bolt too far into the camera, or use more than the lightest hand tightening.

You can use two nuts screwed onto the bolt next to one another to leave only the necessary length open at the end of the bolt.
post #141 of 270
It is a very good suggestion to fix mount the two video at the same position but it is difficult to tell my dog Buddy to replay the same motion twice. You know I have quite a few gears for taking photo, I have tripod or monopod so fix mount them is not a problem. I will try that on Saturday morning because it seems we have a sunny day tomorrow. Tomorrow evening I will take video of my son's basket ball game and for sure I will mount them on a tripod.
I will make every setting to be auto on both cams on Saturday evening or would you suggested to set them at a specific scene and AWB.
btw, do you guys know which clips that I posted belong to which camera?
Thanks all for your replies.
post #142 of 270
Originally Posted by dakotase
Video 1179 without any doubt is the better one

Just what makes it the better of the two?

I am interested to hear your comments, too.
post #143 of 270
To my eyes, the second one was never in focus completely, especially when you changed zoom distances. I thought a lot of the detailed was muddied. Granted, I am watching it on Vimeo and not downloading the original MTS files...
post #144 of 270
Is it a guessing game do I win a prize. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatKing View Post

It is a very good suggestion to fix mount the two video at the same position but it is difficult to tell my dog Buddy to replay the same motion twice. You know I have quite a few gears for taking photo, I have tripod or monopod so fix mount them is not a problem. I will try that on Saturday morning because it seems we have a sunny day tomorrow. Tomorrow evening I will take video of my son's basket ball game and for sure I will mount them on a tripod.
I will make every setting to be auto on both cams on Saturday evening or would you suggested to set them at a specific scene and AWB.
btw, do you guys know which clips that I posted belong to which camera?
Thanks all for your replies.
post #145 of 270
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatKing View Post

It is a very good suggestion to fix mount the two video at the same position but it is difficult to tell my dog Buddy to replay the same motion twice. You know I have quite a few gears for taking photo, I have tripod or monopod so fix mount them is not a problem. I will try that on Saturday morning because it seems we have a sunny day tomorrow. Tomorrow evening I will take video of my son's basket ball game and for sure I will mount them on a tripod.
I will make every setting to be auto on both cams on Saturday evening or would you suggested to set them at a specific scene and AWB.
btw, do you guys know which clips that I posted belong to which camera?
Thanks all for your replies.


You dog won't have to do the same thing twice because both cams will be recording at the exact same time.
It's a pretty easy thing to do.

As far as the video goes the first one just had better PQ and looked sharper and more in focus. I'm not sure which cam that was, probably the Panasonic. The other seemed to have the traditional Sony slow autofocus issues that plague all their camcorders.
post #146 of 270
You dog won't have to do the same thing twice because both cams will be recording at the exact same time.
It's a pretty easy thing to do.

Thanks Steve, another good suggestion. I am so stupid. I do not have two tripods but will figure it out. Will do it tomorrow morning.
post #147 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviemaker4741 View Post

Just what makes it the better of the two?

It's obviously sharper and clearer.
post #148 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatKing View Post

Originally Posted by dakotase
Video 1179 without any doubt is the better one

Just what makes it the better of the two?

I am interested to hear your comments, too.

Sharper and much clearer. There seems to be a consensus on this.
post #149 of 270
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatKing View Post

You dog won't have to do the same thing twice because both cams will be recording at the exact same time.
It's a pretty easy thing to do.

Thanks Steve, another good suggestion. I am so stupid. I do not have two tripods but will figure it out. Will do it tomorrow morning.


Not stupid at all, you just need a cheap piece of PVC pipe and drill two holes in it (measure twice drill once) and use the right length 1/4-20 screws. All it takes is a short end of PVC pipe a drill and 2 cheap bolts.
Mount the cameras next to each other and turn them on. If the screws are a bit long just use some washers and like someone else said only hand tighten them so you don't strip them. You can also drill an additional hole and mount the entire rig onto a tripod.
it sounds a lot harder than it really is. Then only you will know which video is which.
post #150 of 270
I posted this a couple of years ago.

I use two cameras all the time. You just need a thin piece of sturdy metal to mount two cameras. I used the metal spacers so the bolts going into the camcorders were the correct length.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Camcorders
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Panasonic TM900 vs Sony CX560/700V vs Canon HF G10 Steel Cage Match Comparison Thread