or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD550 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD550 Thread - Page 62

post #1831 of 1918
Nice, I was right about 1024, definitely the best wink.gif
post #1832 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNash View Post

Nice, I was right about 1024, definitely the best wink.gif
Is that 1024.8?
(or, 1024.8 alternate?)
Does this firmware upgrade eliminate FBr on a D550 display?
BIG thanks.
post #1833 of 1918
In fact, it's 1024.1, for EU PS51D550 model ( 1027 is the last for this model ).

And no, it doesn't fix the FBr cool.gif
post #1834 of 1918
Just arrivED*:
No noise or at least quieter than the Panny Player next too it!
HOW TOO LOCK THE STAND?
I see the lock symbol on the stand; do I just put a standard screw driver head in there & turn?!?!

* just showED up on my day off/totally luckED out!
post #1835 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNash View Post

In fact, it's 1024.1, for EU PS51D550 model ( 1027 is the last for this model ).
And no, it doesn't fix the FBr cool.gif
Thanks for clarifying EU!

Only playing 1.78:1 sources right now ("Tangled"), people tend too post on flashing more w/letterbox; we'll see.

================

Super happy right out of the box in movie mode w/sharpness down too 10.
post #1836 of 1918
Review:
Reflectivity of this series screen makes it un-recommendable too me.
If one has any lights on in front of the screen at all; even a sixty watts bulb burning twenty ft away, the screen will show all illuminated areas.
Truly doubt 10% or less of the population has NO lights nor light shinning in front of the screen when viewing.
Can't believe Sammy let a screen like this leave the factory.
(it's OK for "us"/just the general public would freakout!)

The series seems, too me, too be designed too compete w/LCD's. Super Bright... for a plasma.
Too the point were things get 'waxy' pretty EZ'ly. I agree w/sforza's night time viewing setting of 10 for the cell light.

It all so has the dreaded "Green Rating Screen Syndrome" (ala '09 Pannys).
Not as badd, just a WTF aberration for a 20-11 set!
(I own/I'm sitting by/an '09 Panny panel)
I think the blks right now are comparable too the Panny's; I was hoping for better (got too work on that).

I'm going too keep it: 3D, 59", comfortable/rechargeable glasses, OK bezel, decent stand, acceptable menu/settings.
Got the display, three pair of glasses, two hard cases, two panelights (will assist in eliminate front of the screen reflections), BB calibration ( don't laugh, its free, OK, go ahead and laugh! biggrin.gif ), DVE HD Basics Blu-Ray, delivery, & w/taxes (ugh!) for $1455.55US [original retail was $1899.00US last yr].

I agree w/this thread's sentiment that the 20011 Sammy D series is a great value. Especially if your up for tweaking it*!

* which I of coarse plan too do more of! wink.gif
Edited by BIG ED - 7/12/12 at 6:25pm
post #1837 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Review:
Reflectivity of this series screen makes it un-recommendable too me.
If one has any lights on in front of the screen at all; even a sixty watts bulb burning twenty ft away, the screen will show all illuminated areas.
Truly doubt 10% or less of the population has NO lights nor light shinning in front of the screen when viewing.
Can't believe Sammy let a screen like this leave the factory.
(it's OK for "us"/just the general public would freakout!)

Well, I knew it was going to be reflective, and I am one of the 10% of the population that can control the lighting because it works well for me. But it is definitely something that people should be aware of and take into consideration.
Quote:
The series seems, too me, too be designed too compete w/LCD's. Super Bright... for a plasma.
Too the point were things get 'waxy' pretty EZ'ly. I agree w/sforza's night time viewing setting of 10 for the cell light.
It all so has the dreaded "Green Rating Screen Syndrome" (ala '09 Pannys).
Not as badd, just a WTF aberration for a 20-11 set!
(I own/I'm sitting by/an '09 Panny panel)

I must admit that I don't know what you're referring to. Maybe I am not discerning enough, but I am not seeing "waxy" etc, and I have my cell light set to 18. And what is "Green Rating Screen Syndrome"? I had bad green tinge on the Panny 55ST30 that I tried out, but not on my p59d550 (it has a slight pink tinge, but has become unnoticeable for me since it is so minor).
Quote:
I think the blks right now are comparable too the Panny's; I was hoping for better (got too work on that).
I'm going too keep it: 3D, 59", comfortable/rechargeable glasses, OK bezel, decent stand, acceptable menu/settings.
Got the display, three pair of glasses, two hard cases, two panelights (will assist in eliminate front of the screen reflections), BB calibration ( don't laugh, its free, OK, go ahead and laugh! biggrin.gif ), DVE HD Basics Blu-Ray, delivery, & w/taxes (ugh!) for $1455.55US [original retail was $1899.00US last yr].
I agree w/this thread's sentiment that the 20011 Sammy D series is a great value. Especially if your up for tweaking it*!
* which I of coarse plan too do more of! wink.gif

That seems like a pretty good deal for all of that! I fluked out and got only the TV for $1199 CN, and I don't think I could have done better than that, so I'm happy smile.gif

Btw, after I got my set, I found the below link and used the settings listed there:
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1321001419

I have been so happy with those settings that I haven't bothered to change them. If you do try them out, let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Wayne
post #1838 of 1918
I agree that the glare of this screen is unaceptable.

I owned a Sammy 50B550 before, the filter was really good, when the 51D550 arrived eek.gif waouh that's a damn mirror !

By chance, I can control my light and most of the times I watch movies at night, so that's fine for me. Clearly not for day users.

I don't know and see what "Green Rating Screen Syndrome" is and I am a PQ maniac lol.

My set is calibrated and match HD709 standard.
post #1839 of 1918
I own the 51" model and had been using the flatpanel hd settings but found these recently. They look alot better than the Flatpanel HD settings


White Balance Settings

Red-Offset 21 Red-Gain 33
Green-Offset 25 Green-Gain 25
Blue-Offset 13 Blue-Gain 33

Picture Settings

Picture Mode Movie Black Tone: Off
Color Temp Warm 2 Dynamic Contrast: Off
Brightness 57 Gamma: 0
Contrast 92 Color Space: Auto
Color 52 Flesh Tone: Off
Tint G35/R65 Edge Enhancement: Off
Sharpness 10 Digital NR: Auto
Cell Light 8 HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Auto

Try them out u will be suprised! During the day I put the cell light to 10.

http://reviews.*******************.com/samsung-plasma-tv/samsung-d550-picturesettings.html
post #1840 of 1918
There's definitely something wrong with the Tint G35/R65.

Try AVS709HD pattern with Sammy blue-mode, that's can't match with this settings wink.gif
post #1841 of 1918
I get what u are saying, i was thinking the same thing about the tint setting. I guess the white balance settings offset it or something. These settings did something to the contrast to where i can now see alot more detail in the shadows and even on dark colored items.
post #1842 of 1918
Hey all, I've got an opportunity to buy the PN59D550C1 new for $999 -- I know this particular set is discontinued, has some glare issues and potential buzzing, but am I correct in thinking that this is a deal too good to pass up? I'm on a pretty tight budget and have been on a mad hunt for refurbished or open-box TV deals under a grand, and even those don't compare to the value of a 3D 59 inch TV for that price... so should I go for it, or is there something I'm missing?
Edited by vampirepope - 7/23/12 at 11:30am
post #1843 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirepope View Post

Hey all, I've got an opportunity to buy the PN59D550C1 new for $999 -- I know this particular set is discontinued, has some glare issues and potential buzzing, but am I correct in thinking that this is a deal too good to pass up? I'm on a pretty tight budget and have been on a mad hunt for refurbished or open-box TV deals under a grand, and even those don't compare to the value of a 3D 59 inch TV for that price... so should I go for it, or is there something I'm missing?
Go for it. I got a open box one 7 months ago and NO problems like you hear of here. Those problems here are just from a small minority. People without problems don't post and how many thousands of those don't post here 'eh?
I'm extremely happy with mine.... Just make sure you at least get the remote... sometimes open box, there are no remotes. Proper remote is very important, don't buy it without it or take universal remote.
post #1844 of 1918
Help!!!!
Hi guys. First of all I want to thank you for your useful postings in this forum. The situation I got myself into is that I am running 1026 firmware and with the intent of calibrating my TV, I entered service menu and changed white balance settings in there which completely stuffed up my picture and I can’t roll back the changes as I don’t know what the original settings were.
So I was wondering if it is possible for someone with 1026 firmware to activate service menu (PowerOff and then Info+Menu+Mute+PowerOn) and then navigate to ADC/WB and then navigate to White Balance and tell me what the original values for Sub Brightness,R-Offset,G-Offset,B-Offset, Sub Contrast, R-Gain, G-Gain, B-Gain are? Please remember entering service menu will clear sound and picture setting.
Your help is really appreciated as the picture on my TV looks horrible :-(.
post #1845 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgethacker View Post

So I was wondering if it is possible for someone with 1026 firmware to activate service menu (PowerOff and then Info+Menu+Mute+PowerOn) and then navigate to ADC/WB and then navigate to White Balance and tell me what the original values for Sub Brightness,R-Offset,G-Offset,B-Offset, Sub Contrast, R-Gain, G-Gain, B-Gain are? Please remember entering service menu will clear sound and picture setting.
Your help is really appreciated as the picture on my TV looks horrible :-(.

Here we go ! DOn't worry about my settings, I took photos the first time I entered my SM wink.gif

I hope you didn't run accidentally HMDI calibration ? Beware of that menu !


post #1846 of 1918
Oh thank so much for this.

I don'tthink I did run HDMI calibration, but who knows what the hell I did at 3:00 am :-)

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

The setting you provideddid the trick.

Next step is taking a picture from all the current settings and then trying out the change of TV model to 7000 to get extra settings for 10 point calibration mentioned here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1339743/pnxxd550-advanced-calibration-unlocked-calibration-thread
Edited by gadgethacker - 7/28/12 at 3:54am
post #1847 of 1918
I hope it will be fine for you.

Just in case, here's the 1080p Samsung checkerboard if you need to do the HDMI calibration : http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9644/checkerboardsamsung.jpg

Display it on HDMI1, run the HDMI cal ( it takes 1 second ) and you're done smile.gif That should set your white balance automatically and correctly tongue.gif
post #1848 of 1918
Cool. This is awesome biggrin.gif . Thanks a lot mate. I save the picture on my laptop so that I have it handy when I need it. I will post here if I was able to successfully change the TV model and get extra settings.
post #1849 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post

I own the 51" model and had been using the flatpanel hd settings but found these recently. They look alot better than the Flatpanel HD settings
White Balance Settings
Red-Offset 21 Red-Gain 33
Green-Offset 25 Green-Gain 25
Blue-Offset 13 Blue-Gain 33
Picture Settings
Picture Mode Movie Black Tone: Off
Color Temp Warm 2 Dynamic Contrast: Off
Brightness 57 Gamma: 0
Contrast 92 Color Space: Auto
Color 52 Flesh Tone: Off
Tint G35/R65 Edge Enhancement: Off
Sharpness 10 Digital NR: Auto
Cell Light 8 HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Auto
Try them out u will be suprised! During the day I put the cell light to 10.
http://reviews.*******************.com/samsung-plasma-tv/samsung-d550-picturesettings.html
that must be red as with tint like that. all i can say is thank god for the 10pt wb and custom colour gamust unlock, just leave titn and colour at 50 and use the cms for that.
post #1850 of 1918
guys, i've been reading from a lot of you that 1024 firmware is the best. right now, all the samsung website has is the latest which is the 1027.

is there any way anyone can share their copy of 1024?

thanks guys!
post #1851 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredtoday View Post

is there any way anyone can share their copy of 1024?

Here you go for 1024 firmware http://www.mediafire.com/?rrnnu99b3xj36yo, it's for PS model, not PN wink.gif
post #1852 of 1918
that's awesome, i have the PS model! thanks man!

edit: alright, turns out my tv's firmware code is t-mst4daac and not t-mst4deuc like the one you have frown.gif altho i have the PS model clearly. *sigh*
Edited by boredtoday - 9/1/12 at 12:31am
post #1853 of 1918
Anyone with this model have vertical banding issues, etc.?

I have this TV, and had the panel replaced a few months ago due to a load of defective pixels (30+). The new screen has 3 shadow-like vertical lines (mid-right, mid-left, and one slightly right of center), and a spot near-center that's brighter than the rest of the screen. All of this is mainly visible on bright, panning shots (hockey games, the sky, etc.). Across all inputs/content, so it's definitely the screen.
post #1854 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNash View Post

I hope it will be fine for you.
Just in case, here's the 1080p Samsung checkerboard if you need to do the HDMI calibration : http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9644/checkerboardsamsung.jpg
Display it on HDMI1, run the HDMI cal ( it takes 1 second ) and you're done smile.gif That should set your white balance automatically and correctly tongue.gif


how do u run hdmi cal??
post #1855 of 1918
It's a service menu option.

Display the checkerboard, go to SM and choose the HDMI calibration option, it takes 1 or 2 seconds to calibrate WB wink.gif
post #1856 of 1918
Does it do it automatically? Csn i get into menu without resetting? Whats the code again?
post #1857 of 1918
Yes and yes, it's automatic and you will loose your settings.

HDMI calibration is not needed if you don't have trouble with your PQ
post #1858 of 1918
My PQ is nice but i didny touch white balance..curious if this would.improve it.
post #1859 of 1918
lance if your using warm 2 then 2pt wb will make a big difference.

and firmware 1028 is out today for the ps
If anyone has the gear to measure the cdm output in movie mode that would be great.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/PS51D550C1KXXU-downloads?isManualDownload=true
post #1860 of 1918
anyone updated there ps51/59/64d550 to firmware 1028 yet if so any one know if the brightness cap has gone and if its sorted the brightness pops.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD550 Thread