or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD550 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD550 Thread - Page 4

post #91 of 1918
on my 50 i have allways used 16.9, i thought it was sappose to be a better picture.. but heck i don't know for sure.. now i have tryed screen fit (i seen in a post above where they had teres set to screen fit ).. so far i have not seen a big differance, but i have not watched much but HD channels.. seems like that is all i watch..
post #92 of 1918
I Just bought this tv 2 weeks ago and this is my first Plasma ever that i have owned. I watch tv at night and damm those LED side lighting is horrible. I returned 3. Two Samnsungs and one LG. Then i saw this plasma and the colors popped like the LED and so far everything is perfect, except the Glare. Another thing i notice is that on 16:9 the Pixel shift is on. While on Screen Fit the Pixel Shift is off. Although i view it on Screen Fit. I dont have no calibration dvds but i will give those settings someone posted a try. One question would be, is after the Plasma breaks in, what will be the difference between then and what i see now since i dont think i have no more than 40 hours on it.
post #93 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglasp_75 View Post

One question would be, is after the Plasma breaks in, what will be the difference between then and what i see now since i dont think i have no more than 40 hours on it.

Imperceptible.
post #94 of 1918
Back to that flickering thing... is anybody else noticing floating blacks? I noticed this with POTC 3, the brightness was shifting up and down, like that Dynamic Contrast feature was enabled, but it wasn't. However, my brightness level was too high at the time anyways, after I got it dialed by eye using a few of those scenes early in the movie, it seemed to go away entirely... I did see a few instances of it later in the movie but it was so subtle as to not be a distraction
post #95 of 1918
^^^^^^

could it be related to having Pixel Shift on?
post #96 of 1918
Can someone do me a favor and measure how big the box is for the 64" set, I need to know if it's going to fit in my SUV or if I'm going to have borrow someones pickup when I go to buy it.

Thanks
post #97 of 1918
Can anyone tell me where I find the "pixel shift" settings, in which menus?

Thanks!
post #98 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysplasma View Post

Can anyone tell me where I find the "pixel shift" settings, in which menus?

Thanks!

I've been through all of the menus...I think...and I didn't see anything regarding pixel shift.
post #99 of 1918
I don't recall seeing it (pixel shift) either, but I could have just missed it. Anyways, I was watching Live Free or Die Hard (or whatever) and I turned my contrast back up after having adjusted the black in-movie and the shifting blacks became worse again. The strange thing is they usually happen mid-scene when the brightness/contrast level of the image doesn't seem to change too much.

I was planning on taking this unit back anyways since it has an obnoxious buzz, but this newfound issue (coupled with the fact that Best Buy is now offering with this unit 2 free pairs of 3d glasses and I need to return the tv to get this deal) made me decide to do this sooner than later. I'm taking it back today; hopefully, the next unit won't display the same problems.

... even with the buzz and floating blacks, I think I'd just deal with them considering the price (especially now with the 2 free glasses!!), image quality (which I think is outstanding) and size of this TV. I still think it's a great deal.
post #100 of 1918
Hi all,

I got my 51" d550 delivered on Saturday from Amazon. I was debating between this, Panny ST30 and the d6500, but Amazon had a great price on the 550 a few days ago and realized the 6500 was out of my price range. So far really impressed with PQ. This is my first plasma. Using the settings Frank posted. I don't hear any buzzing. However, you can hear the tv running when the volume is muted, but its not loud and seems normal to me.

Now, to the one negative, glare. There is definite reflection with this set. Hard for me to compare to other plasmas, because the only other models I've seen have been in best buy (no friends or family own a plasma). So far I've only noticed a reflection during black scenes, during the day. The past few days have been dreary here in Charlotte, so I haven't had a chance to see how the picture looks with full on sunlight, but should be able to check that out tomorrow.

If the glare is really bad, I might return it to Amazon and consider the ST30 again. Seems like Panny's had some picture issues based on other threads though. The question I'm asking myself is how much more money is reduced glare worth? And what does that glare look like? In other words, will I actually notice a difference? I'm just hoping the TV doesn't turn into a mirror when the sun finally comes out.
post #101 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

I've been through all of the menus...I think...and I didn't see anything regarding pixel shift.

i seen it.... i will have to go back and look to tell you where it is.. i will look in abit..
post #102 of 1918
System-> Burn-in protection-> Pixel Shift On/Off
post #103 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Back to that flickering thing... is anybody else noticing floating blacks? I noticed this with POTC 3, the brightness was shifting up and down, like that Dynamic Contrast feature was enabled, but it wasn't. However, my brightness level was too high at the time anyways, after I got it dialed by eye using a few of those scenes early in the movie, it seemed to go away entirely... I did see a few instances of it later in the movie but it was so subtle as to not be a distraction

I have the exact same problem. I got my 59D550 just over a week ago. I started noticing these brightness/contrast/black level "pops" here and there. Originally I thought it was my DVR's fault, because I could rewind the material, pause it, and frame by frame up to the point where the pop occurred. Then I noticed it while watching a Blu-Ray.

After that I did some experimenting. I could find a scene where the pop occurred. Then go in to my brighness/contrast/dynamic contrast/black level settings and change them up a bit. This would make the pop go away. However, they would still occur elsewhere. I have not been able to find settings yet that make it go away 100%.

I have tried everything off (Dynamic CR, black level adjustment, DNR, MPEG NR, etc. etc.) and calibrated using the WOW disc. Still get pops. Turn black level to low, normal, high, Dynamic CR the same thing, still get pops.

I also noticed while watching "Shutter Island" over the weekend that the blacks in the top and bottom letterbox areas would shift at random points throughout the movie. Once again I could replay the scene and see it happen every time, then tweak some settings and it would go away for that scene.

I am wondering if perhaps we just got some faulty sets? Is everyone who bought a 59D550 not seeing this? It's pretty obvious when it happens. I got a 2-year in home warranty with my purchase. I'm thinking about using it or taking it back to the store to get a replacement and see if that helps...
post #104 of 1918
Oh, it's a burn-in protection thing (duh)... well it'll be worth a shot. I'll see if that does the trick. I also have a feeling it could be somehow related to either settings in the PS3 or the Onkyo 806, which has some serious issues in keeping a connection to TVs of all sorts. If I have time tonight, I check this out when the PS3 is connected directly to the TV, which I have to do for 3d--getting the glasses tonight. Woot!
post #105 of 1918
Hmm... so yours is the 59" also. I'd like to know if any owners of the other sizes are experiencing this problem.
post #106 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletuner View Post

I have the exact same problem. I got my 59D550 just over a week ago. I started noticing these brightness/contrast/black level "pops" here and there. Originally I thought it was my DVR's fault, because I could rewind the material, pause it, and frame by frame up to the point where the pop occurred. Then I noticed it while watching a Blu-Ray.

After that I did some experimenting. I could find a scene where the pop occurred. Then go in to my brighness/contrast/dynamic contrast/black level settings and change them up a bit. This would make the pop go away. However, they would still occur elsewhere. I have not been able to find settings yet that make it go away 100%.

I have tried everything off (Dynamic CR, black level adjustment, DNR, MPEG NR, etc. etc.) and calibrated using the WOW disc. Still get pops. Turn black level to low, normal, high, Dynamic CR the same thing, still get pops.

I also noticed while watching "Shutter Island" over the weekend that the blacks in the top and bottom letterbox areas would shift at random points throughout the movie. Once again I could replay the scene and see it happen every time, then tweak some settings and it would go away for that scene.

I am wondering if perhaps we just got some faulty sets? Is everyone who bought a 59D550 not seeing this? It's pretty obvious when it happens. I got a 2-year in home warranty with my purchase. I'm thinking about using it or taking it back to the store to get a replacement and see if that helps...

I've had a 59 for over 2 weeks and haven't noticed anything like you are describing fwiw.
post #107 of 1918
Well, here's hoping we have defective models... or that something else in the video line is causing the problem... assuming that "something else" doesn't cost anything to fix.
post #108 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno312 View Post

I've had a 59 for over 2 weeks and haven't noticed anything like you are describing fwiw.

I haven't had the chance to watch a movie on my panel yet, but will def be looking for the issue.

Also, is it bad that I don't notice the pixel shift feature? I have mine set for 10 minutes, but haven't noticed a change in picture while watching for an hour or so.
post #109 of 1918
well do you have it set to 1x1? I didn't notice till i put on a still image and set it to 4x4 - 1min...

side note, I see these everywhere being offered with 2 free 3d glasses, pretty mad amazon will not 'match' this...
post #110 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforza View Post

well do you have it set to 1x1? I didn't notice till i put on a still image and set it to 4x4 - 1min...

side note, I see these everywhere being offered with 2 free 3d glasses, pretty mad amazon will not 'match' this...

What do you mean 1X1? The only option I saw for pixel shift was the time intervals. I have the picture set to 16X9, is this right or should I be using screen fit?

Maybe I'll call amazon to complating about matching the glasses as well. Doubt they'll concede though. Where are they offering the glasses at? Don't see it on the Best Buy website.
post #111 of 1918
hit the 'right arrow' over pixel shift on

best buy has it on their site,
post #112 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforza View Post

hit the 'right arrow' over pixel shift on

best buy has it on their site,

I found it on the site. Called amazon. They wouldn't price match a bundle. I threatened to return the tv and asked for any possible creative solutions, but got nothing.
post #113 of 1918
Here is the link

Weird thing about that though is it is not shown in stock for any of my local stores; however, the glasses and the tv by themselves are in stock

Hope this doesn't cause me a problem when I swap mine out today.
post #114 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Here is the link

Weird thing about that though is it is not shown in stock for any of my local stores; however, the glasses and the tv by themselves are in stock

Hope this doesn't cause me a problem when I swap mine out today.

where did you purchase from originally?
post #115 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by er3_unc View Post

I found it on the site. Called amazon. They wouldn't price match a bundle. I threatened to return the tv and asked for any possible creative solutions, but got nothing.

yeah i told them i wanted to return it, and asked to speak to a higher level person... didn't get anywhere... Oh well, the pair of glasses can be had for 70bucks on ebay, so by time i pay tax at bb, i will end up about at about the same price..

B&H also has the deal going.

wouldn't want to return mine unless it was for a big chuck of cash bc I already have over 150 hours of break in slides logged.
post #116 of 1918
A Best Buy in Denver. For that package linked above, for all stores, it says "SHIP TO STORE" (arrival in 3-5 days), but I can go to the items individually and it says they're in stock at most of the stores. Weird.

Hrm... actually on the next page, one of the stores has it listed in stock. I'll just go to that one.
post #117 of 1918
Just got the PN59D550. I borrowed some SSG-2100AB 3D glasses from a friend but they will not work. Does anyone know if they work with this tv?
post #118 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravis217 View Post

Just got the PN59D550. I borrowed some SSG-2100AB 3D glasses from a friend but they will not work. Does anyone know if they work with this tv?

You need new glasses for this years samsungs. At least that has been the word, they are using bluetooth now.
post #119 of 1918
I got the tv today(64d550), set it up....no buzz I can hear.

So far no complaints, the 3d glasses work well, no sync losses. The tv is glossy but no worse then my 2 year old Panny plasma. So far very happy with the purchase.


I tried to register the tv with Samsung but the pn64d550 is not in their list, WTF?
post #120 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post

I got the tv today(64d550), set it up....no buzz I can hear.

So far no complaints, the 3d glasses work well, no sync losses. The tv is glossy but no worse then my 2 year old Panny plasma. So far very happy with the purchase.

I tried to register the tv with Samsung but the pn64d550 is not in their list, WTF?

I'm surprised Samsung hasn't put any higher end plasmas on the website too.

Happy to hear your opinion on the glossy/glare issue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD550 Thread