or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The Timelapse Theatre - Planning n' Build Log
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Timelapse Theatre - Planning n' Build Log - Page 36

post #1051 of 1281
I think that Kingsford Charcoal is the real key to flat panels smile.gif
post #1052 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

I think that Kingsford Charcoal is the real key to flat panels smile.gif

It's the only way to get that real BBQ flavor.
post #1053 of 1281
Thread Starter 
OMG NEW VIDEO!! Click the gear and watch in 1080p!
post #1054 of 1281
Sweet! It was cool to take a ride over to Tech Shop with you. Thanks!

Great work as always!
post #1055 of 1281
I belly laughed when I saw your wife "swimming" along the floor to paint the base molding I assume. Great work as always.
post #1056 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

I belly laughed when I saw your wife "swimming" along the floor to paint the base molding I assume. Great work as always.

So did she!
post #1057 of 1281
Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I always enjoy watching them.
post #1058 of 1281
Another excellent production - love these videos !!
post #1059 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Thanks, guys!
post #1060 of 1281
Thread Starter 
I sent this to Ted White but I thought I'd ask here too. So much knowledge to pull from!

I have two flights of stairs. Our theatre is in the basement at the bottom of one of the stairwells and the stairs to the third floor are directly above the stairs leading down to the theatre. Basically, stairs above stairs.

The annoyance is with bass-heavy footfall noise that tends to amplify inside the stairwell. Big heavy WHOOMP WHOOMPs from people pounding up the stairs above.

I want to decorate the ceiling of my stairwell to the theatre anyway. I was planning to install some 1/4" veneered plywood panels that I'm going to cut on my CNC. Is there any practical benefit to adding a layer of MLV between the plywood and the drywall on the ceiling of the stairwell?

post #1061 of 1281
Can you pull the ceiling down and install some insulation under the stairs above. Then at least do the "poor man's" version of decoupling by running a few stringers along the upper stairs and then putting the ceiling back up?
post #1062 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Can you pull the ceiling down and install some insulation under the stairs above. Then at least do the "poor man's" version of decoupling by running a few stringers along the upper stairs and then putting the ceiling back up?

I'm open to ripping out the existing drywall. The whole reason why I wanted to cover it up with veneered plywood is that the ceiling is in fairly bad shape. I'd have to replace it altogether if I wanted it to be a plain smooth painted ceiling.

I don't know what you mean by "running a few stringers". Can you elaborate? Illustrate?
post #1063 of 1281
Depending on the width of the stairs, you run 2 (possibly 3) 1x2s laid flat from the top step to the bottom step on the bottom of the stairs above (after pulling the drywall) and attach the new drywall to those 1x2s as if they are studs. Of course, if you have the headroom, running clips an channel is better.
post #1064 of 1281
If you can open the stairwell and look ath the trads and risers, apply drywall and GG to those surfaces. THen some fiberglass in the remaining cavity, then apply DD and GG to finish. Preferably attached in a decoupled fashion.
post #1065 of 1281
I personally don't think the MLV will do much of anything. Some improvement, yes, but certainly not to the levels you would be happy with.

If your stairwell ceiling is in bad shape in the first place, I think it is a no-brainer to demo the ceiling, insulate the best you can with the pink stuff, then double drywall with Green Glue in a constrained layer dampening system which is proven to be significantly more effective than MLV. I would also have you consider adding the joist tape to the underside of the stringers before applying the drywall as a way to add just that little "extra" in vibration transmission. Here's a link: http://www.soundisolationcompany.com/index.php/solutions-products/soundproof-walls/stud-joist-isolation-gasket-tape Ted doesn't seem to carry an equivalent in his product mix, fyi.

Just my 2 cents.
post #1066 of 1281
There's a very good reason we don't carry that product or other similar items that have an apparent perceived value while not actually doing anything. That tape, when screwed through, no longer is resilient.
post #1067 of 1281
If they did nothing, they would be in big trouble and open themselves up to litigation for false advertising. There is some difference, albeit small depending on the frequency. Here is a datasheet of their test results with the sheet material fully attached, fyi and FWIW: http://www.soundisolationcompany.com/images/pdf/gasket-tape-datasheet.pdf

That's why I said it would be something to consider for that "little extra". Ideally decoupling clips could be used, but headroom could become a concern, especially if the home is older and the ceiling at the bottom of the steps is not especially high. Not to mention that the transition at the bottom of the steps is more difficult to terminate and have it still look good without a really big piece of molding or continuing the decoupled ceiling on to the landing of the steps.
post #1068 of 1281
We don't and won't sell it.
post #1069 of 1281
As I recall, the technique to use integretity gasket in the "poor man's" way is to not apply a full strip but to apply small squares and screw through those. This leaves a small gap between the drywall and the stud surface reducing overall contact with the studs. In theory, this is better than nothing. Someone did his entire basement with the Integrity Gasket a while back and was very pleased with the result. Unfortunately, I can't remember who, right off hand.

When first starting my build those oh so many years ago, I was looking into using it. I had one roll and it made a great spacer in my already decoupled soffit. There was a spot where in trying to join two lengths of the soffit "ladder" they were out of alignment by 1/4". It didn't look like a problem until the drywallers showed up. I applied a few strips of the IG and the drywall was straight as an arrow. I also used it in the soffit on the 2x2 cross pieces under the HVAC ducts to stop any noise from the metal ducts hitting the 2x2s.

It has it's uses.
post #1070 of 1281
I think it can make a guy feel better. I'll give it that.

I was involved in testing this product way back in the day with damped and undamped drywall of varying mass. Consequently, we don't stock it.
post #1071 of 1281
JD,

What was the stuff you used for broadband absorption behind your screen?
post #1072 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

JD,
What was the stuff you used for broadband absorption behind your screen?

I used two inches of Linacoustic Ductliner.
post #1073 of 1281
Been absent from your thread for awhile and I miss the debut of a new video. I feel such the looser. Nicely done, it is all coming together.

Nice to see your wife get involved in the painting work.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1074 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Been absent from your thread for awhile and I miss the debut of a new video. I feel such the looser. Nicely done, it is all coming together.
Nice to see your wife get involved in the painting work.
Regards,
RTROSE

Hey, sometimes life gets in the way! Thanks for dropping by, as always.

My wife is awesome. She has been excited about this project from the start and was waiting the whole time for me to hurry up and get to the painting stage so that she could help.
post #1075 of 1281
Enjoyed the video Mr. D! One of these days my schedule will free up and I plan to see it in person!
post #1076 of 1281
Thread Starter 
I have been thinking a lot about my sound treatments lately. I have a big, long wall on the left of the room and I wanted to put something large that made a statement up there while still being fuctional.

My wife and I saw this reproduction of an awesome map of London in Restoration Hardware on Sunday.



They're selling the thing for $1400. eek.gif

I located the ultra high resolution scan of the map on Wikimedia Commons and ordered a 42x54" print of it from Spoonflower on the Kona fabric... for $36 shipped. biggrin.gif I'm going to build a frame for this map and put 2 inches of OC 703 behind it. Sweet! I used to live in London years ago and this is a great reminder of my time there.
post #1077 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Enjoyed the video Mr. D! One of these days my schedule will free up and I plan to see it in person!

Thanks! I'd love to have you visit!
post #1078 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

I have been thinking a lot about my sound treatments lately. I have a big, long wall on the left of the room and I wanted to put something large that made a statement up there while still being fuctional.
My wife and I saw this reproduction of an awesome map of London in Restoration Hardware on Sunday.

They're selling the thing for $1400. eek.gif
I located the ultra high resolution scan of the map on Wikimedia Commons and ordered a 42x54" print of it from Spoonflower on the Kona fabric... for $36 shipped. biggrin.gif I'm going to build a frame for this map and put 2 inches of OC 703 behind it. Sweet! I used to live in London years ago and this is a great reminder of my time there.

I have toyed with the idea of some custom sized "spoonflower treatments"
Looking forward to seeing this one come together !

In the meantime - Have a great Thanksgiving!
post #1079 of 1281


^This will look sweet in there. Keep up the good fight mate!
post #1080 of 1281
How did you find that image on wikimedia? I've been trying to find a painting or print on there and I can't seem to get the search function to cooperate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The Timelapse Theatre - Planning n' Build Log