or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The Timelapse Theatre - Planning n' Build Log
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Timelapse Theatre - Planning n' Build Log - Page 38

post #1111 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Sorry I'm a bit late ... but let me get this straight ... you didn't realise this BEFORE you cut the hole ! That's the true AVS DIY spirit right there !! tongue.gif
Cheers,

Oh, no. I knew that going into it. I've had this hole in my wall for months because I removed an old built-in room heater. The main reason why I didn't build the shelf immediately is that I was trying to come up with an attractive solution to this problem.

edit:
here's the old ugly space heater.
495fe80c_vbattach244483.jpeg
Edited by jdanforth - 1/4/13 at 12:36pm
post #1112 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Excellent progress, that shelf looks great. Looking forward to seeing the time lapse of its construction. biggrin.gif
Happy New Year buddy!
Regards,
RTROSE

Thanks! You too!
post #1113 of 1281
Thread Starter 

And that's that! I'm finally finished with the shelf project. I'm very pleased with the result despite having to make some design changes in the middle. That's pretty much my whole theatre though...

OK, here goes:

Install some molding 'round the outside

Also some quarter-round to cover the transition from drywall to wood

A couple coats of paint... this is the same color as the soffits.

Cut and paint the shelves (they're 12-1/2" x 5.5")

Mounted the lights and we're done! Those lights are old LED bookshelf lights from Ikea. I used my plate shear to cut them down a bit and then drilled a new mounting hole to fit the shelf.


I think the shadow lines came out quite nicely. These photos are with *every* light in the theatre on. That only happens when I'm working. tongue.gif



post #1114 of 1281
That came out really nice. Great job.

I see a white door lurking back there. Do you have plans to paint that black to match the shelves?
post #1115 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

That came out really nice. Great job.
I see a white door lurking back there. Do you have plans to paint that black to match the shelves?

That's probably a good idea...
post #1116 of 1281
Well done! That shelf turned out really nice!

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1117 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

That's probably a good idea...

If it wasn't on your to do list, you could always have the wife do it. We've all seen her paint smile.gif
post #1118 of 1281
Nice work! That looks great!
post #1119 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone. My wife would love to paint the door, I bet. I'll see if we can't knock that out this week... maybe next.
post #1120 of 1281
Nice job Jon!
post #1121 of 1281
A+ on the shelf. Looks very classy!

I keep expecting to see a waffle nailed to a wall, or waffles spelling "Wall" or something like that. You know, in memory of what got it all started smile.gif
post #1122 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Thanks everyone. My wife would love to paint the door, I bet. I'll see if we can't knock that out this week... maybe next.

Shelf looks very distinguished JD. Nice work.

Hmmmmm, have you thought of covering the door with linacoustic? Got any left? It would serve double duty there to contain sound to theater and work as acoustic treatment....... Youd have to figure a way to make it look nice but I know you would have no problem with that.....

IDk if you have room there for that though.....
post #1123 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

A+ on the shelf. Looks very classy!
I keep expecting to see a waffle nailed to a wall, or waffles spelling "Wall" or something like that. You know, in memory of what got it all started smile.gif

Yeah, well, I'm not so much into waffles anymore since our family went gluten-freen. biggrin.gif
post #1124 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Nice job Jon!

Thanks! You'll have to come up for a demo!
post #1125 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Shelf looks very distinguished JD. Nice work.
Hmmmmm, have you thought of covering the door with linacoustic? Got any left? It would serve double duty there to contain sound to theater and work as acoustic treatment....... Youd have to figure a way to make it look nice but I know you would have no problem with that.....
IDk if you have room there for that though.....

Thanks for the compliment.

Adding Linacoustic to the door is an interesting idea and I have plenty left but I think that doing that might make the little space at the bottom of the stairs feel cramped. I REALLY need to work on acoustic treatments... I need bass absorption big-time and there's a pesky reflection in the room on the sidewalls.
post #1126 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Haha, I posted this photo on Facebook and one of my friends said "Your Wall-E is backwards!" He works for Pixar so I guess he should know!
post #1127 of 1281
Thread Starter 
And while I'm at it I thought I might as well share a couple other things on the shelf. That white thingie is one of my favorite sculptures. It's a 3D printed hecatonicosachoron (AKA 120-cell). It's a 3-dimensional shadow, if you will, of a 4-dimensional dodecahedron. You can show the shadow of a square on a piece of paper (2D) by shining light onto a cube (3D) resting on its surface. This is the same thing except that the shadow of a 4D object is 3D. cool.gif



It was printed on a Dimension 3D printer.

On the top shelf is one of the daguerreotypes I've made over the years. I love the kitsch of this hula girl nightlight that I used to have so I made her portrait. I made the case too... one of my early cases but still came out rather well. You can see more of the daguerreotypes I've made here.

post #1128 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Oh, and that's Remy XO cognac in the bottle. cool.gif
post #1129 of 1281
Thread Starter 
And I make these little boxes too. This is one but I'm not sure it's the same on my shelf. I sell them on Etsy when I get ambitious. This one's made from purpleheart and sugar maple.

post #1130 of 1281
Very cool! And that's referring to everything you've made. Though I'm having some trouble trying to imagine a 4d dodecahedron.

I was going to ask you about your iPad mount but realized you discussed on your website. Do you just charge your iPad else where?
post #1131 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

Very cool! And that's referring to everything you've made. Though I'm having some trouble trying to imagine a 4d dodecahedron.
I was going to ask you about your iPad mount but realized you discussed on your website. Do you just charge your iPad else where?

I just charge it elsewhere although the mount was designed to reveal the charging port. The headphone port is exposed via a cutout. In theory you could mount a charger in a recessed outlet behind the mount and run a slimline cable to it but I never bothered. I never intended the mount to be a home for the iPad... more like a rest stop. I have them in my kitchen and theatre and I find it really handy to have a location where the iPad always goes when you're done with it. It's easier than having to look on all the couches, chairs, under the ottoman, etc. for it.

The mounts have VESA mounting points on them so you can put them on an articulating mount if you want but they also have simple keyhole style mounts.

I manufactured one run of these and learned a good lesson about myself: I suck at marketing a product!




post #1132 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Haha, I posted this photo on Facebook and one of my friends said "Your Wall-E is backwards!" He works for Pixar so I guess he should know!

Where is Wall-E? biggrin.gif
post #1133 of 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Where is Wall-E? biggrin.gif

Ummmm.........I think he is with E.V.E. now. biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1134 of 1281
Thread Starter 
I added some new photos to the first post to show the current state of the room. These photos aren't my best work but since I'm not paying myself I'm not going to sweat these too much! tongue.gif So, if you'll pardon the occasional lens flare, I submit these for your enjoyment.






post #1135 of 1281
spectacular!
post #1136 of 1281
Great Job!
post #1137 of 1281
Dude - that lens flare is killing me!! eek.gif

Or maybe it's the glare of Total Theater Awesomeness Syndrome that is blinding me?

Definitely one or the other!





Awesome job! cool.gif
post #1138 of 1281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Dude - that lens flare is killing me!! eek.gif

Or maybe it's the glare of Total Theater Awesomeness Syndrome that is blinding me?

Definitely one or the other!





Awesome job! cool.gif

Bahahahahhahahahahaha!

Thanks, Hanesian!
post #1139 of 1281
Well, Hanes, I'll never be the same after seeing that! eek.gif
post #1140 of 1281
Yeah, Hanes can do that, and he does so on a regular basis.

Ok, after having had the horror of the above photo, I feel compelled to post the following (PG13) photo to get this thread back on track.

Enjoy!



I was thinking of putting a "Stripper pole" in my basement and rented a temp one and had these two over for a demo (came with the rental) and after the demo, decided the pole was totally worth it.

Regards,

RTROSE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The Timelapse Theatre - Planning n' Build Log