or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD7000 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD7000 Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0) View Post


This is exactly what I need!

However, I am a little concerned about having a weighty center speaker perched atop a 59" set and base that already seem "torquey" and wobbly without another 40 lbs added on top.

Yeah. Not sure I would trust 40 lbs. of speaker up there on one of those brackets. I got the smallest one since I am running Gallo Micros.
post #212 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicariously View Post

Wait... Does that mean european d8000's don't have LCE? Or does it mean the european d8000's will have more input lag? Cause i'd definitely go panasonic without looking back if the latter was the case.

I hope not as I have the d7000 on order in the uk. I did have the c7000 led but the input lag on games was far too much. The c7000 plasma had good input lag and I've heard good things about the d7000 input lag so I hope this is not true. Why would samsung Europe not have this 'chip' ? ??
post #213 of 4123
Thread Starter 
The DDay.it site is discussing differences between the US and EU D8000 LEDs, not PDPs. The "chip" they're talking about is supposed to control dimming of the edge LEDs.
post #214 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

The DDay.it site is discussing differences between the US and EU D8000 LEDs, not PDPs. The "chip" they're talking about is supposed to control dimming of the edge LEDs.

Ok so this has nothing to do with the plasmas? Think im making the right choice going from an led to plasma. Had too many problems with the led, clouding, input lag, poor PQ on non HD channels and lots of crosstalk with the 3d.
post #215 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

You're presented with a "Smart TV" logo on the initial power-up (and every time the TV is subsequently powered on unless you disable it in user menu).



A guided setup follows (OSD language, networking, etc), which is also described in the user manual. You get the "no signal" after the boot screen / guided setup if no source is connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nconnella View Post

That sucks. Sorry to hear it. I did the same thing, turned it on with no source and yes you should get some kind of welcome screen if I remember correctly. To choose your language. After that I believe I got Air static. Glad you made sure it worked before accepting!

Thanks to both of you. That makes me feel a lot better now that I know exactly what I should see upon power up. Whew! Next week I'll know exactly what to do. Thanks again!
post #216 of 4123
does the d7000 have a lot of options to for pic adjustment??
post #217 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacks84 View Post

Morning,

I had a scheduled delivery today for a 64D7000. I had to refuse delivery of it. The guys unpacked it with no visible damage anywhere. As Amazon instructed for "enhanced" delivery, we plugged it in and powered it on. There was no video signal as they are only supposed to unpack and confirm power & operation. There was no welcome screen, power up, or image of any kind. Also, there was a horrible BUZZING!!!! I don't think this was the directional buzzing so many have written of in last year's C-series, though. This sounded like something was wrong and was omnidirectional. The delivery guys said, "I've never seen one do that. Something's wrong". I refused delivery and Amazon will ship a replacement today/tomorrow.

Here's my question. Could anyone confirm what the screen should do at start up without a video signal? When some of you took delivery like this, what did the TV do for you? If any of you remember or can duplicate this, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to know what to look for upon delivery of a replacement next week. Shouldn't there be a message like "no signal"? I could've sworn there was a welcome screen at power up in some of the vids others have posted. Much obliged!!!

I remember there being a welcome screen, I think it was the smart tv symbol.
post #218 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

I don't suppose anyone has found the owners manual for a 59D7000 anywhere online? I was looking for the size specs and wondering if the outer edges of the panel remained the same from last year, and if the extra inch is due to a less wide bezel?

I was also looking to calculate the room for a center speaker in front-- the space between the top of the stand and the bottom of the bezel. I know the panel swivels.

See http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...PN59D7000FFXZA
post #219 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacks84 View Post

Morning,

I had a scheduled delivery today for a 64D7000. I had to refuse delivery of it. The guys unpacked it with no visible damage anywhere. As Amazon instructed for "enhanced" delivery, we plugged it in and powered it on. There was no video signal as they are only supposed to unpack and confirm power & operation. There was no welcome screen, power up, or image of any kind. Also, there was a horrible BUZZING!!!! I don't think this was the directional buzzing so many have written of in last year's C-series, though. This sounded like something was wrong and was omnidirectional. The delivery guys said, "I've never seen one do that. Something's wrong". I refused delivery and Amazon will ship a replacement today/tomorrow.

Here's my question. Could anyone confirm what the screen should do at start up without a video signal? When some of you took delivery like this, what did the TV do for you? If any of you remember or can duplicate this, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to know what to look for upon delivery of a replacement next week. Shouldn't there be a message like "no signal"? I could've sworn there was a welcome screen at power up in some of the vids others have posted. Much obliged!!!

Just got mine today ( 64d7000) start up was a snowy screen until I hooked up my cable box via HDMI and boom everything was there! Proceeded with my AVR then 3D player everything working great! Now the fun part begins, fine tuning everything. Gonna drive the wife NUTS........

FYI.....all my equipment is Samsung
post #220 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter52 View Post


Just got mine today ( 64d7000) start up was a snowy screen until I hooked up my cable box via HDMI and boom everything was there! Proceeded with my AVR then 3D player everything working great! Now the fun part begins, fine tuning everything. Gonna drive the wife NUTS........

FYI.....all my equipment is Samsung

Oh yeah the welcome screen was the first thing that popped up
post #221 of 4123
My new TV seems to have a picture delay in the connection from the cable box to the TV. It also seems to get some pixelation at certain points in time. Any reason for this? The connection is from the cable box to the TV using HDMI 1.3.
post #222 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post

My new TV seems to have a picture delay in the connection from the cable box to the TV. It also seems to get some pixelation at certain points in time. Any reason for this? The connection is from the cable box to the TV using HDMI 1.3.

Its pretty common to see compression artifacts in cable sources.
post #223 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

The DDay.it site is discussing differences between the US and EU D8000 LEDs, not PDPs. The "chip" they're talking about is supposed to control dimming of the edge LEDs.

Koffas, LCE is a software algorithm, a filter that works on signal, nothing to do with edge leds and their control; you can open photoshop to see something similar.
For this reason it can be used absolutely in the same way on both LEDs and PDPs!
This filter causes a lot of work for the processor, better solution is to use a dedicated chip (less input lag, more accuracy....): for LEDs, Samsung Europe not includes this chip, and the LCE filter is called "Microdimming". Otherwise, with the dedicated chip, LCE filter is called "Microdimming Plus".
post #224 of 4123
I am ready to pull the trigger on a new set. My choices are the new Sharp 70" or this samsung d7000 plasma. My question is to the owners. Why did you pick this set? I really want the largest screen posssible, but dodn't want to give up a PQ. Also why did you choose this model over the D8000 plasma. I'm not a fan of the D8000 bezel. Isn't the D8000 more black?
post #225 of 4123
Hey tazz3, here is the manual. The black filter was the big one I over looked.

EDIT: Strange it will not upload the PDF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post

does the d7000 have a lot of options to for pic adjustment??
post #226 of 4123
Hello,

just got my PN59D7000 yesterday and got it up on the wall... looks pretty good but there are a couple of issues I am having. I am not all that familiar with the TV so there may be an easy remedy.

1. I only saw this a few times but it seemed like certain scenes (while watching TV) sort of quickly change a hue (i.e., like laighter to darker, etc.) which was kind of annoying.

2. when watching Alice in Wonderland, on demand, for example, the fog in the background seemed to be in chunks instead of smooth and would sort of jump, instead of moving slowly and smoothly. [this wasnt blu ray 24p, but rather Starz On Demand HD, not sure if that matters]

Almost seems like what would happen on my old PN58C8000 when the dejutter was turned ON, however I dont see this feature on this set, so I am assuming no way to turn it off?

Any other options I should check/set that may fix these problems?

Good news, the buzzing I had on my PN58C8000 is completley gone, not even a peep.
post #227 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg600rr View Post

Hello,

just got my PN59D7000 yesterday and got it up on the wall... looks pretty good but there are a couple of issues I am having. I am not all that familiar with the TV so there may be an easy remedy.

1. I only saw this a few times but it seemed like certain scenes (while watching TV) sort of quickly change a hue (i.e., like laighter to darker, etc.) which was kind of annoying.

2. when watching Alice in Wonderland, on demand, for example, the fog in the background seemed to be in chunks instead of smooth and would sort of jump, instead of moving slowly and smoothly. [this wasnt blu ray 24p, but rather Starz On Demand HD, not sure if that matters]

Almost seems like what would happen on my old PN58C8000 when the dejutter was turned ON, however I dont see this feature on this set, so I am assuming no way to turn it off?

Any other options I should check/set that may fix these problems?

Good news, the buzzing I had on my PN58C8000 is completley gone, not even a peep.

I wouldn't judge it by anything that you watched on Starz OnDemand. I watched a movie from their OnDemand the other night and the blacks were too dark with no detail and wasn't impressed overall. However, I watched Tangled in 1080P streamed from the Zune network and Wow, what a difference. Me and the kids were blown away. Always consider the source!
post #228 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg600rr View Post

1. I only saw this a few times but it seemed like certain scenes (while watching TV) sort of quickly change a hue (i.e., like laighter to darker, etc.) which was kind of annoying.

Not sure if I saw the same thing, however, when I am watching a hockey game with a bright background, I see shade shifts going on in the same scene. Slightly annoying.
post #229 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg600rr View Post

Hello,

just got my PN59D7000 yesterday and got it up on the wall... looks pretty good but there are a couple of issues I am having. I am not all that familiar with the TV so there may be an easy remedy.

1. I only saw this a few times but it seemed like certain scenes (while watching TV) sort of quickly change a hue (i.e., like laighter to darker, etc.) which was kind of annoying.

2. when watching Alice in Wonderland, on demand, for example, the fog in the background seemed to be in chunks instead of smooth and would sort of jump, instead of moving slowly and smoothly. [this wasnt blu ray 24p, but rather Starz On Demand HD, not sure if that matters]

Almost seems like what would happen on my old PN58C8000 when the dejutter was turned ON, however I dont see this feature on this set, so I am assuming no way to turn it off?

Any other options I should check/set that may fix these problems?

Good news, the buzzing I had on my PN58C8000 is completley gone, not even a peep.


1. I saw something line this on our new 59" D7000 last night while watching Shrek 3 on Bluray. There was a pan from a nighttime exterior going inside a castle bedroom where the brightness notched up the slightest bit. I replayed it and others in the room did notice it after I pointed it out. I am not sure if this was the source doing this or the TV. I have not seen this anywhere else. I'm okay with with this infrequent and very subtle effect.

2. That seems like compression artifacts in your source. I see that on a few satellite or internet sources at home and especially whenever I'm in a Fry's store.

As for buzzing, I only hear a faint hum/buzz when one of my ears is within a foot of the screen. To me, this sounds like a *much* milder version of the hum/buzz that I always associate with CRT TVs.

I am so pleased with the black levels, birightness, and impressive sharpness of this set!
post #230 of 4123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolatc View Post

Koffas, LCE is a software algorithm, a filter that works on signal, nothing to do with edge leds and their control; you can open photoshop to see something similar.
For this reason it can be used absolutely in the same way on both LEDs and PDPs!
This filter causes a lot of work for the processor, better solution is to use a dedicated chip (less input lag, more accuracy....): for LEDs, Samsung Europe not includes this chip, and the LCE filter is called "Microdimming". Otherwise, with the dedicated chip, LCE filter is called "Microdimming Plus".

Yes, I agree LCE is a video processing filter (I have a note on it in the OP of the Samsung 2011 lineup thread). The link I posted earlier (directly from Samsung) states that the "plus" portion of microdimming plus on the UN series is to control dimming of edge LEDs. The European line is likely different. If you want to continue to discuss, feel free to PM me -- we've strayed from the subject at hand (D7000 PDPs!).
post #231 of 4123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post

My new TV seems to have a picture delay in the connection from the cable box to the TV. It also seems to get some pixelation at certain points in time. Any reason for this? The connection is from the cable box to the TV using HDMI 1.3.

By picture delay, do you mean lip sync? You can set a sound delay within the speaker settings menu. And, as has been mentioned, cable/sat/OTA sources have compression artifacts -- they become very evident on large screens. Best to judge PQ on blu-ray sources.
post #232 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0) View Post

1. I saw something line this on our new 59" D7000 last night while watching Shrek 3 on Bluray. There was a pan from a nighttime exterior going inside a castle bedroom where the brightness notched up the slightest bit. I replayed it and others in the room did notice it after I pointed it out. I am not sure if this was the source doing this or the TV. I have not seen this anywhere else. I'm okay with with this infrequent and very subtle effect.

I have read several posts from all the 2011 Samsung model threads here from people that are experiencing this issue.

I have the 59D550 and have it worse than others, it seems. I now can get 5-15 or so of these very noticeable contrast pops per hour of viewing material. All HD, either satellite or Blu-Ray.

I asked in the D550 thread but I am curious to find this out here as well... are there any actual owners who have had their sets for over a week now and are NOT experiencing this issue?
post #233 of 4123
I think you saw the same thing I saw. Posted this a couple of days ago. Oh, the movie was Black Swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg600rr View Post

Hello,
1. I only saw this a few times but it seemed like certain scenes (while watching TV) sort of quickly change a hue (i.e., like laighter to darker, etc.) which was kind of annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

But one issue that I have noticed and I hope I can explain it. The picture went from normal (movie mode) to really dark bars and really orange faces. But it's was one of those "did that just happen" moments until my wife noticed. It only did it once during the movie. I didn't think too much about until it did it again durning the basketball game. It has only done it twice. Anybody else come across this?
post #234 of 4123
That seems weird as well... however mine had nothing to do with color saturation or hue. It is definitely a constant jump in contrast, up and down. I was just curious to find out if this only occurs in some 2011 Samsung plasmas or all of them. I am getting my Samsung replaced this weekend and am considering my options.
post #235 of 4123
Mine seems the complete opposite from BO). Goes from normal to dark rather than normal to bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletuner View Post

That seems weird as well... however mine had nothing to do with color saturation or hue. It is definitely a constant jump in contrast, up and down. I was just curious to find out if this only occurs in some 2011 Samsung plasmas or all of them. I am getting my Samsung replaced this weekend and am considering my options.
post #236 of 4123
Just read the glasses will only be $50 a pair starting in May. Also, all TVs will come with two pair if the starter kit is not included. Good news!
post #237 of 4123
Does the PIP on the D7000 allow for more sources than just Air and Cable? Can you do picture-in-picture with say 2 HDMI sources or Component and HDMI? Last year's models only allowed Air and Cable.
post #238 of 4123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletuner View Post

That seems weird as well... however mine had nothing to do with color saturation or hue. It is definitely a constant jump in contrast, up and down. I was just curious to find out if this only occurs in some 2011 Samsung plasmas or all of them. I am getting my Samsung replaced this weekend and am considering my options.

Sounds similar to what I posted about earlier... an instantaneous MLL shift that is a function of the APL... I can perceive it in letterbox bars but not full-screen content. My hunch was that this is the mysterious LCE (even though it's only spec'd to be on the D8000 and why it keeps getting rehashed in this thread).
post #239 of 4123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

Does the PIP on the D7000 allow for more sources than just Air and Cable? Can you do picture-in-picture with say 2 HDMI sources or Component and HDMI? Last year's models only allowed Air and Cable.

According to the user manual (linked in the OP), you can watch a TV tuner source and one external source...

Picture In Picture (PIP)
MENU → System → PIP → ENTER

You can watch a program whose signal has passed through the TV's tuner and the video from one external video source simultaneously. For example, if you have a cable box connected to the Cable In jack, you can use PIP to watch programs from the cable box and a movie from a Blu-ray player attached to the HDMI In jack.
post #240 of 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

According to the user manual (linked in the OP), you can watch a TV tuner source and one external source...

Picture In Picture (PIP)
MENU → System → PIP → ENTER

You can watch a program whose signal has passed through the TV's tuner and the video from one external video source simultaneously. For example, if you have a cable box connected to the Cable In jack, you can use PIP to watch programs from the cable box and a movie from a Blu-ray player attached to the HDMI In jack.

So is there maybe some creative way to say, be in a Component Source (my Wii Browser) and have a PIP of my HDMI2 Source (DirecTV Receiver)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD7000 Thread