or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Denon 2011 lineup.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon 2011 lineup. - Page 8

post #211 of 551

AVR3312CI_OwnersManual.pdf


Weight : 26 lbs (11.8 kg)
post #212 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post

Dual subwoofer outputs
Picture adjust
I/P Converter and Scaler
Front HDMI
Trigger out
2-line front panel display (it appears that the 2112 is only 1 line)
Detachable power cord

For me these are all minor and not worth the difference but YMMV.

Audyssey Pro in the 2312.
post #213 of 551
^ Audyssey should start making the Pro kit more widely available/affordable. I mean, if Pro is trickling down to this level of AVR... Can't see too many at that price level ponying up for a Pro cal, but might if they could do it themselves whenever they want.
post #214 of 551
For the experienced AVR upgraders out there;

If the new xx12's show up in May, when would the clearance of the xx11 be found? I'm mainly interested in the 3311ci and would we see the current street price fall by more 30%?
post #215 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

AVR3312CI_OwnersManual.pdf


Weight : 26 lbs (11.8 kg)
Quote:
When the input source to which the digital input connectors (OPTICAL/COAXIAL) are assigned is selected in ZONE2 or ZONE3, playback is only possible if the digital signal being input is in PCM (2-channel) format.
It is not possible to play the digital audio signals input from the HDMI terminals in ZONE2 and ZONE3. Use analog connections for ZONE2 or ZONE3 playback.
When certain digital signals are being input, noise may be output from the ZONE2 and ZONE3 audio output connectors.
Well, that answers some questions about improved Zone support. The manual made no explicit mention of allowing Airplay, Pandora, etc. on Zones 2 & 3 while using the MAIN ZONE for something else-- the Airplay signal appears on the NET/USB input, which may make it technically possible. But since the MAIN ZONE will automatically switch inputs when the Airplay device connects, it'll be too complicated for normal usage. Same with the internet streaming apps, which will probably require standing in front of a TV for control/configuration (the web GUI looked rough).

The user interfaces for Internet Radio, Pandora, and Rhapsody look extremely painful to use with only the directional buttons-- so I'm not thinking I'd ever want to use these features. I would just use Airplay from an iPod touch (for Pandora) or iTunes (for Internet Radio) and call it a day.
post #216 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Hmmm, Airplay standard, one more HDMI input, video processor (unknown against flier), made in China now, weight drops 4 lbs, must have fans inside?
Everything from 33xx down is "Made in China."

38xx and up is "Made in Japan".
post #217 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepanator View Post
The user interfaces for Internet Radio, Pandora, and Rhapsody look extremely painful to use with only the directional buttons-- so I'm not thinking I'd ever want to use these features. I would just use Airplay from an iPod touch (for Pandora) or iTunes (for Internet Radio) and call it a day.
Or use the Denon remote control "app" for the iPhone/iTouch(?)/iPad(?)
post #218 of 551
Does anyone in the know happen to have a feel if Denon corrected the all or nothing approach to Airplay and zones found currently in the 3311 and 4311?
post #219 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ga View Post
38xx now have high power glow in the dark remotes.
They also no longer require power cords...
post #220 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ga View Post

Solid sounding power amps too, maybe?

I knocked on my power amps with my knuckle. Depending on where I knock depends on how solid they sound. I had the same results on both the denon and the pioneer. Just for giggles I tried it on my ancient Kenwood...same results there as well.

Are you saying your power amps sound solid no matter where you knock on them?
post #221 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ga View Post

No, I'm more a googlegod fan, really miss his honestly..

I don't believe you. I mean you joined March 2011 which is when Pocketcash disappeared. Just admit it. There are not that many people lame enough to go around to Denon threads talking trash and saying how much better Onkyo it. Plus I've never seen the two of you post at the exact same time so you must be the same person. If you ever do a blind test and realize that you don't know what you're talking about it will be an eye opening experience. I guess its more fun to troll around in Denon treads though.
post #222 of 551
the 2112 looks like a pretty sweet deal at $599. 6 HDMI inputs, MultEQ XT, on-screen GUI/volume overlay, networking (with full Web GUI + Pandora/Rhapsody/Napster + Internet radio + flickr + network music streaming + Airplay). It's appears to be a supercharged 1911 model... same amps, same basic back panel (e.g. one optical, one coax, one component video) but XT + Networking + 6 HDMI.

I'm happy to see networking trickle down so far with the full Web GUI support (and ethernet firmware updates). The Web GUI is awesome, that and MultEQ XT will give me a real compelling reason to update to a xx12 model

the one big unknown to me is whether all that network streaming goodness will go to Zone 2 in the lower level models. The 3312 model still has the language about 2.0 PCM from optical/coax going to Zone 2, but the 2312/2112 do not. It would really suck if you couldn't stream Pandora or Airplay to Zone 2 on the 2112 model.

Perusing the manuals briefly, basic functionality and menu structure seems the same. The big difference is the trickle down of MultEQ XT, Networking, and better GUI's (the 2312 and 3312 get the "advanced" GUI now from the 4810/4311 now).
post #223 of 551
Post #14 lists the price at $799 not $599 for the 2312 - unless I missed some price correction subsequent to that post.
post #224 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Post #14 lists the price at $799 not $599 for the 2312 - unless I missed some price correction subsequent to that post.

sorry I meant 2112, edited while you were posting obviously
post #225 of 551
ha ha, I started deleting my post a second ago as I thought my eyes had fooled me and that you had written 2112 all along. thanks for confirming my sanity after all.
post #226 of 551
I'm holding out for now. The 3312CI is looking great, I'd even order it today when it comes out of it was made in Japan. Come on Summer lets see the talks about the 3312CI!
post #227 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

the 2112 looks like a pretty sweet deal at $599. 6 HDMI inputs, MultEQ XT, on-screen GUI/volume overlay, networking (with full Web GUI + Pandora/Rhapsody/Napster + Internet radio + flickr + network music streaming + Airplay). It's appears to be a supercharged 1911 model... same amps, same basic back panel (e.g. one optical, one coax, one component video) but XT + Networking + 6 HDMI.

I'm happy to see networking trickle down so far with the full Web GUI support (and ethernet firmware updates). The Web GUI is awesome, that and MultEQ XT will give me a real compelling reason to update to a xx12 model

the one big unknown to me is whether all that network streaming goodness will go to Zone 2 in the lower level models. The 3312 model still has the language about 2.0 PCM from optical/coax going to Zone 2, but the 2312/2112 do not. It would really suck if you couldn't stream Pandora or Airplay to Zone 2 on the 2112 model.

Perusing the manuals briefly, basic functionality and menu structure seems the same. The big difference is the trickle down of MultEQ XT, Networking, and better GUI's (the 2312 and 3312 get the "advanced" GUI now from the 4810/4311 now).

I think that is the $54 question - what will be available to zone2. I love my 3311, but it might be supplanted by the pioneer vsx-1021 since i cannot use airplay singularly in zone 2 (and it lacks bluetooth control).
post #228 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

Everything from 33xx down is "Made in China."

38xx and up is "Made in Japan".

Not a accurate statement, my 2809 was made in Japan, so was the recent 3311 as seen on rear image. D&M shifted more of its model production from Japan to China so that the 3312 is now made in China. Probably with this large earthquake that just occurred it was a very good business move.
post #229 of 551
I've been making due with the 988 that I picked up a few years ago on a closeout when the 989 came out. I recently added an Apple TV to it to stream my my Itunes library and allow control via an Ipad.

I have to say I've been fairly disappointed with Airplay itself so far. My wireless network is pretty good, but I find lots of drop outs and stuttering trying to stream from an Ipad.

What has worked much better, and what I prefer to use, is the Remote app. With it, I can connect to the Apple TV for control, and use the Ipad interface to pull music from my computer down to the Apple TV. It's still a WiFi connection, but I've found it much more reliable and gives better control than AirPlay does.

Now, with the "built in network support" that these new units have, will I be able to due something similar - stream directly from my Itunes library on my computer, and use my Ipad (or the remote app that Denon itself is putting out) to control music to the receiver?
post #230 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I think that is the $54 question - what will be available to zone2. I love my 3311, but it might be supplanted by the pioneer vsx-1021 since i cannot use airplay singularly in zone 2 (and it lacks bluetooth control).

excellent question, i am just floored as to why any signal coming in to the AVR cant be transmitted to zone 2??? Ive been discussing this for the last two days on how to work around it, and it isnt that big of a deal, but why cant HDMI or the like go in the first place? just rhetorical question really unless someone wants to answer...
post #231 of 551
post #232 of 551
Another question - dual HDMI outputs are intriguing. Does anyone know if it will be possible to send audio and video via one port buy just video via the other?

The application I'm looking at would be having the receiver in my main room feeding video to the TV there and sound to the connected speakers. For the other HDMI port, I'd like to run the cable out to a TV on the back patio with both audio and video and use that TV's speakers for sound.
post #233 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

excellent question, i am just floored as to why any signal coming in to the AVR cant be transmitted to zone 2??? Ive been discussing this for the last two days on how to work around it, and it isnt that big of a deal, but why cant HDMI or the like go in the first place? just rhetorical question really unless someone wants to answer...

A few weeks back I was listening to a home theater podcast talking to a Pioneer guy about their new receivers. This specific question came up as their new receivers also can't send HDMI audio out to other zones.

His answer indicated it was related to HDCP encryption and handshaking issues. Sounds like it would take a lot of extra processor to handle this effort. So, it looks like we can thank Hollywood for stifling the innovation that we are interested in.
post #234 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyclave View Post

Audyssey Pro in the 2312.

The 2312 will now be the lowest level AVR that is Audyssey Pro "enabled" which means the software can be used "on" the 2312, not that it's actually installed "in" the 2312. The first Denon AVR that is scheduled to have it installed is the 5308 with the upgrade ($1099) scheduled in October.
post #235 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Not a accurate statement, my 2809 was made in Japan, so was the recent 3311 as seen on rear image. D&M shifted more of its model production from Japan to China so that the 3312 is now made in China. Probably with this large earthquake that just occurred it was a very good business move.

I believe the point the OP was trying to make was the successor to the 3808 ...the 43XX line, is now the only series made in Japan as the 33XX series and below are all made in China.
post #236 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed View Post

Another question - dual HDMI outputs are intriguing. Does anyone know if it will be possible to send audio and video via one port buy just video via the other?

The application I'm looking at would be having the receiver in my main room feeding video to the TV there and sound to the connected speakers. For the other HDMI port, I'd like to run the cable out to a TV on the back patio with both audio and video and use that TV's speakers for sound.

No. The HDMI Audio Out feature when set to "TV" will disable audio to the main zone speakers.
post #237 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed View Post

A few weeks back I was listening to a home theater podcast talking to a Pioneer guy about their new receivers. This specific question came up as their new receivers also can't send HDMI audio out to other zones.

His answer indicated it was related to HDCP encryption and handshaking issues. Sounds like it would take a lot of extra processor to handle this effort. So, it looks like we can thank Hollywood for stifling the innovation that we are interested in.

AFAIK, the Yamaha Aventage series A1000, A2000, and A3000 are currently the only AVRs that can pass the same HDMI audio playing in the main zone to Zones 2/3.
post #238 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Not a accurate statement, my 2809 was made in Japan, so was the recent 3311 as seen on rear image. D&M shifted more of its model production from Japan to China so that the 3312 is now made in China. Probably with this large earthquake that just occurred it was a very good business move.

actually the 3310/990 and 3311/991 were made in China. It's not a new change this year.

back when your 2809 was made the 2309/889 and up were made in Japan. You can tell by looking at the back panels and weight/specs that the 2309 was really a "baby" 2809 and distinct from the 1909/789 of that year.

for the xx10 models Denon shifted the 3310/990 and down to China and only 4xxx models and up stayed in Japan. If you compare the weight/specs and back panels you can see that the 3310/990 is built on the same shallower/lighter chassis as the 2310, 1910, etc. Your 2809 is several pounds heaver and a couple of inches deeper than the 3310 that replaced it. All of the "shallow chassis" models (15" deep) are made in China.

my question is -- with all these new "in between" models like the 2112, is Denon finally getting rid of the stupid 3-digit versions??
post #239 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

actually the 3310/990 and 3311/991 were made in China. It's not a new change this year.

back when your 2809 was made the 2309/889 and up were made in Japan. You can tell by looking at the back panels and weight/specs that the 2309 was really a "baby" 2809 and distinct from the 1909/789 of that year.

for the xx10 models Denon shifted the 3310/990 and down to China and only 4xxx models and up stayed in Japan. If you compare the weight/specs and back panels you can see that the 3310/990 is built on the same shallower/lighter chassis as the 2310, 1910, etc. Your 2809 is several pounds heaver and a couple of inches deeper than the 3310 that replaced it. All of the "shallow chassis" models (15" deep) are made in China.

OK, I stand corrected Batpig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

my question is -- with all these new "in between" models like the 2112, is Denon finally getting rid of the stupid 3-digit versions??

I certainly hope so, always wondered why Denon needed the increased production costs associated with two similar lines. Yes I know the reasons, 3-digit models still not needed IMHO.
post #240 of 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

OK, I stand corrected Batpig.

I certainly hope so, always wondered why Denon needed the increased production costs associated with two similar lines. Yes I know the reasons, 3-digit models still not needed IMHO.

There are many people that would go into a Bestbuy and get a Sony over a Denon because the Sony is rated at 125 x 7. Denon rates the 3 digit models at 6 ohms so they can compete with the crazy ratings that other receivers have. There are tons of people that think a 125 x 7 Sony would put out a lot more power than a 90 x 7 Denon. I don't think it should be necessary for the 3 digit models but unfortunately most people will not take the time to research this stuff.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Denon 2011 lineup.