or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]

post #1 of 4158
Thread Starter 
The GT30 is now becoming available, time to start an official thread for it

Here's a link (below) to D-Nice's 2011 ST30/GT30/VT30 Reference Settings Thread..... Post #1 is how to properly prepare
the panel, and Post #3 has his reference settings to use on the GT30 after faithfully completing the procedure in post #1:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1371710


Here's a Link to Operating Manual:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../TCP50GT30.PDF

There is a glaring mis-print in the manual - it says the TV has a 96Hz option but that's incorrect - it does not have this. It is confirmed that it's mis-print.
Edit - A few said that the manual booklet that came with their TV contained an insert with the correction.

Here's a link to D-Nice's 2011 Panel Aging Procedure:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...08&postcount=1

Here's a link to the Official GT30 SETTINGS Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1340522



The GT30 shares the exact same Plasma Panel and AR Filter with the ST30, but adds:

1. THX Mode

2. Slightly Better Black Levels

3. Narrower Bezel with a Silver Outer Trim Surround

4. Thinner Rear Cabinet and Bezel

5. Four HDMI Inputs (all mounted on the left side) compared to 3 on the ST30

6. VGA PC Input (but limited to 768p signal so it's kinda useless and looks like ass)



MSRP upon release:

Panasonic GT30 will become available in March in the 50 and 55-inch screen sizes:
TC-P50GT30 $1,899.95 MSRP
TC-P55GT30 $2,199.95 MSRP

The 60 and 65 inchers will be available in April:
TC-P60GT30 $2,799.95 MSRP
TC-P65GT30 $3,599.95 MSRP
post #2 of 4158
Thread Starter 
The GT30's HDMI ports are kinda close to the side and on the examples i've seen at stores the HDMI cables were visible beyond the side of the TV and i was unable to bend them sharp enough to hide them behind the side bezel. Then i got worried that attempting to do so might put too much stress on the HDMI ports and damage them.

You can snap two of these Monoprice #3850 right-angle HDMI Adapters together to redirect the cables 180 degrees so they lay up against the backside of the TV. I've been using this method on my G10's side game input for a few years without issue:




And to those of you who claim that these 90 degree adapters interfere with the signal, well here's my experiment using ten adapters snapped together for a few days and there wasn't a single hiccup or issue with my HDMI signal:

post #3 of 4158
You would have to burst my bubble. I am considering the GT30 this year anyway. I do enjoy the 96hz option on my V10, but can probably learn (re-learn) to live with 3:2 pulldown again.
post #4 of 4158
Thread Starter 
Well the good news is that early reports indicate that the GT30's black level is a little lower than on the ST30.

I'm a little concerned about how the HDMI ports point the cables to the side which might force people to bend them sharply to keep them from being seen.
post #5 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I'm a little concerned about how the HDMI ports point the cables to the side which might force people to bend them sharply to keep them from being seen.

Why? There are right angle HDMI cables, flat HDMI cables, and adapters readily available. In fact, I note that one of the sponsors above has adapters available for sale.

-Bn
post #6 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Well the good news is that early reports indicate that the GT30's black level is a little lower than on the ST30.

I'm a little concerned about how the HDMI ports point the cables to the side which might force people to bend them sharply to keep them from being seen.

the black level mesurement of the GT30 is from Ed Johnson and VE ?
0,0042 ftl, correct ?
post #7 of 4158
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknoir View Post

Why? There are right angle HDMI cables and adapters readily available, including at one of the sponsors above.

I'm aware of them - i use various angles on some of my installs (i keep several configurations on-hand) and i'm currently using some on my G10 to point the cables straight upward (so they lay flat against my back panel) but in looking at the orientation on the GT30, the only ones that will work without interfering with the adjacent inputs would point the cables straight back toward the wall so i can see having to use two of em snapped together to make a "U-turn". I do have some super-flexible male-female HDMI Port Saver pigtails which might solve the issue.
post #8 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I'm aware of them - i use various angles on some of my installs (i keep several configurations on-hand) and i'm currently using some on my G10 to point the cables straight upward (so they lay flat against my back panel) but in looking at the orientation on the GT30, the only ones that will work without interfering with the adjacent inputs would point the cables straight back toward the wall so i can see having to use two of em snapped together to make a "U-turn". I do have some super-flexible male-female HDMI Port Saver pigtails which might solve the issue.

Ah - makes sense now. I'm thinking of the flat ones more than the adapters, but I guess it also depends on how much room you have in between the set and wall and how much you can "twist" the flat ones.

On a related note (hopefully not too O/T since it relates to the angle of the ports on the GT series), have there been any studies which demonstrate that you lose any signal but utilizing the adapters?

-Bn
-Bn
post #9 of 4158
There was some talk in regards to the euro models having that weird silver trim on the bezel. Has anyone that has actually gotten a hold of one yet been able to verify that it doesnt have that?
post #10 of 4158
Today, I have my brand new Samsung 64inch plasma (64d550) going back to the store, the shippers are picking it up any moment. The Samsung actually looked great but had a very bad shifting black problem, where the black horizontal bars would keep shifting from black to grey, back and forth, during the movie.

I am using the credit from this purchase towards the Panasonic 65 inch GT30. I was told to expect them in Mid-May. Does anyone have any different information?
post #11 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

There was some talk in regards to the euro models having that weird silver trim on the bezel. Has anyone that has actually gotten a hold of one yet been able to verify that it doesnt have that?

Silver trim is on both the inner and outer framing of the bezel.
post #12 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Silver trim is on both the inner and outer framing of the bezel.

Damn, so I guess the early pictures were not just a different amercian version, but an unfortunate yet to be altered pre-production copy, making it so both the europ version and this version have the silver inner trim. I agree that it looked a bit distracting and annoying , but hopefully it wont be that bad....and if it is, at least one case mildly deface their tv with marker or tape to obscure it :P .
post #13 of 4158
Who has them??? Just bought a Samsung 51D7000 and would rather have this.
post #14 of 4158
Is see who. I hope they post pictures/review soon. Have an itchy finger to return the Samsung now.
post #15 of 4158
Bigham what's wrong with the new Samsung plasma? I was interested in the D8000 (the next step up from what you have), but now you have me worried!!!

Was the PQ bad? Is it lacking in features?

Tell us!
post #16 of 4158
The Samsung is a great TV so far. The picture quality is very good but when I was watching a movie the other night the letterbox bars were a little on the "light" side compared to my VT25. I was hopping for a little deeper black on the Samsung. I know it's not a VT25 but I was hoping for more. I had the Samsung set to Movie with no other adjustments. My VT25 is in THX mode with no other adjustments.

But if the GT30 has last years Infinite Black 2 Panel like the VT25 then the Samsung will be going back. The VT25 is just that good to me.

I know pictures don't do TV's justice but the ones I posted in my "set-Up" (click my sig and on the last page) really do show the difference...I think.

I am no professional and nor is my intent to lead people way from Samsung but these are just my opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post

Bigham what's wrong with the new Samsung plasma? I was interested in the D8000 (the next step up from what you have), but now you have me worried!!!

Was the PQ bad? Is it lacking in features?

Tell us!
post #17 of 4158
^ The Samsung really needs to be calibrated before a fair comparison can be made.

Not saying your opinion isn't valid, just saying that it's kinda unfair for the Sammy. Also keep in mind it looks like your Panny is in the living room, and the Sammy is in the bedroom as you mentioned. The lighting in each room might be different.

I agree, though, that having the option to just turn on THX and have the PQ already beautiful and calibrated, is a nice option on Panasonics.
post #18 of 4158
I wonder if the new GT or VT will give me enough reason to sell my 5020 Kuro?
post #19 of 4158
^ Probably not... I'm no Kuro expert but aren't they supposed to be God-tier TVs?
post #20 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post

^ The Samsung really needs to be calibrated before a fair comparison can be made.

Not saying your opinion isn't valid, just saying that it's kinda unfair for the Sammy. Also keep in mind it looks like your Panny is in the living room, and the Sammy is in the bedroom as you mentioned. The lighting in each room might be different.

I agree, though, that having the option to just turn on THX and have the PQ already beautiful and calibrated, is a nice option on Panasonics.

That's kind of the point though, isn't it? I mean 99% of people who buy one of these sets do not opt for any kind of professional calibration, not to mention that pro calibration can run $400 or more.

I personally would not consider ANY of these new sets without getting a good calibration done, but obviously if someone is not going to do that then they should get the set with the best PQ out of the box.
post #21 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

Who has them??? Just bought a Samsung 51D7000 and would rather have this.

I am in the same boat, almost got stuck with my 51d7000 actually because my AV guy only told me AFTER that his supplier changed their return policy to no out of box returns. Thankfully he took ownership of the issue and has already unloaded it.

Just out of curiosity, having gravitated towards a 51", what size are you going to get? 50" or 55"?
post #22 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

I am in the same boat, almost got stuck with my 51d7000 actually because my AV guy only told me AFTER that his supplier changed their return policy to no out of box returns. Thankfully he took ownership of the issue and has already unloaded it.

Just out of curiosity, having gravitated towards a 51", what size are you going to get? 50" or 55"?

Whats wrong with your D7000?
post #23 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post

^ Probably not... I'm no Kuro expert but aren't they supposed to be God-tier TVs?

I do love my Kuro, but want something bigger than 50". The question is, can i live with a bigger but less perfect display?
post #24 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

I do love my Kuro, but want something bigger than 50". The question is, can i live with a bigger but less perfect display?

I sure as hell know I can.
post #25 of 4158
As long as the floating and rising black levels are truly resolved, you could make a case for exchanging the 5020 for a larger TV with hopefully only slightly lighter black levels such as with the VT30. I would only do it if you're thinking about the 65" and maybe have some interest in 3D.
post #26 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdo View Post

As long as the floating and rising black levels are truly resolved, you could make a case for exchanging the 5020 for a larger TV with hopefully only slightly lighter black levels such as with the VT30. I would only do it if you're thinking about the 65" and maybe have some interest in 3D.

VT30 is going to be nowhere near the black level of a 9G Kuro (.003 vs. .0001?).

On the other hand, most people don't watch their TVs in a pitch black room, so sometimes the whole bottom end MLL is a bit overblown.
post #27 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post


VT30 is going to be nowhere near the black level of a 9G Kuro (.003 vs. .0001?).

On the other hand, most people don't watch their TVs in a pitch black room, so sometimes the whole bottom end MLL is a bit overblown.

Supposedly the VT30 will be 0.002fl whereas the 5020 was 0.001fl. Not a huge gap and 15 extra inches might make you forget about the slight black level difference.
post #28 of 4158
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

...But if the GT30 has last years Infinite Black 2 Panel like the VT25 then the Samsung will be going back. The VT25 is just that good to me.....

The GT30 does not have last year's (13G) panel or filter. The GT30 has an all new 14G panel and has an all new louver filter. Both are different from what was on the VT25.
post #29 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

VT30 is going to be nowhere near the black level of a 9G Kuro (.003 vs. .0001?).

On the other hand, most people don't watch their TVs in a pitch black room, so sometimes the whole bottom end MLL is a bit overblown.

Where did you get these numbers?

VT30 is allegedly .002 fL and most 9G Kuros are .001 fL with a couple going down to .0005.
post #30 of 4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

The Samsung is a great TV so far. The picture quality is very good but when I was watching a movie the other night the letterbox bars were a little on the "light" side compared to my VT25. I was hopping for a little deeper black on the Samsung. I know it's not a VT25 but I was hoping for more. I had the Samsung set to Movie with no other adjustments. My VT25 is in THX mode with no other adjustments.

But if the GT30 has last years Infinite Black 2 Panel like the VT25 then the Samsung will be going back. The VT25 is just that good to me.

I know pictures don't do TV's justice but the ones I posted in my "set-Up" (click my sig and on the last page) really do show the difference...I think.

I am no professional and nor is my intent to lead people way from Samsung but these are just my opinions.

What size Samsung do you own? The larger sizes (59/63) should equal the VT25 for black levels, at least. The 51" is a different story.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]