or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 103

post #3061 of 4156
So I got a 65gt30 over xmas break, and holy crap am I in love this TV.

I went from a Mitsubishi 55 inch rear projection (WS55807) that I've had for almost 13 years (component only, no hdmi, but I had it pro calibrated when I first got it). I thought it had a great picture, but now i'm realizing how much better a picture can be!

I didn't bother with slides, and really only set it to THX mode with minor adjustments. I do feel like I see a small amount of dithering in dark scenes on occasion, so eventually I'd like to try to tweak that out.

I've had no IR issues so far, but then again, I've never run slides, so maybe I'm just not seeing it.

anyhow, mostly just wanted to post how much I love this TV!
post #3062 of 4156
Looking for some advise here...

I can get a TC-P60ST30 for almost $500 cheaper than a TC-P60GT30. As best I can tell the major functional differences are that the GT has more inputs, THX and a useless PC input. I'm pretty sure those are not worth the extra to me but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I see in the first post that the panels are the same. It looks like D-Nice's 2011 ST30/GT30/VT30 Reference Settings are a little more involved with the GT. Should I be concerned that the ST won't look as good? I'm not looking for reference quality (or I'd be looking at a VT) but I don't want to make a foolish choice.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
post #3063 of 4156
Finally made the plunge and picked up a 60gt30. I don't plan on calibrating (already happy with the pq and I have a lot of things dialed down for initial 100 hr use so I know I'll be extremely happy with what I can do with it.) I've only been watching 1.85:1 blu rays continuously to break it in a bit (I never did that with my previous 2 plasmas without problems but reading threads here made me a bit paranoid) and I'm up to about 20 hrs now. 2 questions though. First, I really want to watch the Orange bowl on it and I can probably be up to maybe 40 hours by then, so will I be safe watching it especially if I run the screen wipe tool for a bit during commercials? Second, it is not that big a deal, but the way I have it set up I have to pivot the TV and move a few things to get to the inputs. For the 3D glasses charging cord, can that remain plugged into a USB that I don't used anyway and just stay tucked away until I need to charge, or is that going to continuously pull from the USB and it is safer to just take the time to plug it in when I need it? Thanks for any help and also all the help I've gotten from reading here.
post #3064 of 4156
Well the 65GT30 is performing wonderful. Pretty much done running the slides and I see no pink or green area's. Each one of the slides is perfect, with only some minimal flicker every once in a while. I returned two 60GT30's to Amazon as Panny was back-ordered 30-days on new A-Boards. The 65 is a June build with some FBr as well. I guess I got lucky as Panny is sending a tech with an SD card to flash the tv on Friday afternoon. I live in SoCal and he was available. I will ask him about 2.1 and see if he has it and will install while he is here. I did watch the Rose Bowl on it last night (DirecTV) and it was stunning. It looked amazing. I am glad I got the 65. The deals were also hard to pass up. Amazon price matched Frys at $2,199. I sit about 10-12 feet away from it and I have learned to enjoy the monster. My wife said it was too big a week ago, but now says it is perfect.
post #3065 of 4156
I think you are fine to watch the Orange Bowl. I watched the Rose Bowl and it was perfect. You will not hurt it. Yesterday ESPN was rotating their station info so it was not a static look the whole game. Run the scrolling bar if you need to. As far as the USB connections for the glasses, I have two cords plugged in all the time and no problems that I can see. The third one I am using for the wireless dongle. I have a 20/5 cable modem feed and it works fine by wireless through an Apple Time Capsule. As a lot of people have said, start out by watching everything in THX for the first one hundred hours or so. Be careful with Blu-Rays though. I have the Panny 310 and when I put one in, it likes to default to Cinema Mode. Check to make sure, and if necessary change it back to THX. If you do not have a newer build (August or newer), get on the phone with Panny and get them out for the FBr update. Enjoy the TV!
post #3066 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDougan View Post

Looking for some advise here...

I can get a TC-P60ST30 for almost $500 cheaper than a TC-P60GT30. As best I can tell the major functional differences are that the GT has more inputs, THX and a useless PC input. I'm pretty sure those are not worth the extra to me but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I see in the first post that the panels are the same. It looks like D-Nice's 2011 ST30/GT30/VT30 Reference Settings are a little more involved with the GT. Should I be concerned that the ST won't look as good? I'm not looking for reference quality (or I'd be looking at a VT) but I don't want to make a foolish choice.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

GT in THX mode is brighter for rooms with ambient light or less controlled lighting. It looks nicer IMO too. Colors are more accurate than the ST out of the box according to ChadB. The blacks are slightly darker on the smaller models and there's debabatable difference in the 60/65 models. You'll get alot of ST owners who will argue these points.
Ultimately, you have to decide. I personally believe the model series are distinct and going from ST to GT to VT you get some incremental improvement overall in PQ as well as features.
post #3067 of 4156
I'm considering buying this set but after all of the IR posts I've seen in this thread, I'm having second thoughts.

I own 2 older Panasonic plasmas (2007 and 2010) and have been very happy with them. I do most of my gaming (PS3, Wii, and Xbox) on the 2007 model. I haven't had any issues with noticeable IR on my old tv (some ghosting from HUD that I don't notice once I switch to regular TV). Would this be the same type of IR? I can take that but I definitely can't handle having some HUD image retention for weeks at a time.

Would this IR only be noticeable when looking at slides? I've never done slides on the older sets, so there's a possibility of IR that I've just never noticed. If this is the case with the GT30, I could still consider it.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
post #3068 of 4156
IR is temporary and mainly when the set
is new. I'd say don't let that be a factor
one way or another.
post #3069 of 4156
Ive been running slides all day to remove the HUD from MW3 and its still there. I can't believe that it is. I game a lot. 3-4 hours at a time at night when we do play. The set is practically brand new and I just got it the week of black friday so its maybe a month old. We watch Netflix here and there and blu ray and standard DVDs and that's it. The set itself doesn't see normal viewing time that a family may use it for. We just don't watch a lot of TV so I guess when I'm gaming that's the brunt of it.

Should I run the slides at a faster speed than what D-Nice suggests seeing as how I'm trying to remove this IR?

Also, where in the menu does it show the panel hours on the set?
post #3070 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonal View Post

Ive been running slides all day to remove the HUD from MW3 and its still there. I can't believe that it is. I game a lot. 3-4 hours at a time at night when we do play. The set is practically brand new and I just got it the week of black friday so its maybe a month old. We watch Netflix here and there and blu ray and standard DVDs and that's it. The set itself doesn't see normal viewing time that a family may use it for. We just don't watch a lot of TV so I guess when I'm gaming that's the brunt of it.

Should I run the slides at a faster speed than what D-Nice suggests seeing as how I'm trying to remove this IR?

Also, where in the menu does it show the panel hours on the set?

This is what scares me. Did you do any breaking in or did you just fire up MW3 right away?
post #3071 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonal View Post

Ive been running slides all day to remove the HUD from MW3 and its still there. I can't believe that it is. I game a lot. 3-4 hours at a time at night when we do play. The set is practically brand new and I just got it the week of black friday so its maybe a month old. We watch Netflix here and there and blu ray and standard DVDs and that's it. The set itself doesn't see normal viewing time that a family may use it for. We just don't watch a lot of TV so I guess when I'm gaming that's the brunt of it.

Should I run the slides at a faster speed than what D-Nice suggests seeing as how I'm trying to remove this IR?

Also, where in the menu does it show the panel hours on the set?

Hey man, I got my GT30 two weeks before black Friday and I play mw3 hours at a time. I originally did the slides break in for 192 hours before watching anything. I have yet to see any ir. Did you do a break in? If not run the slides or watch regular tv, then slides at night and or all day when you are working. I think I read its best for it to run instead of it being off. There are settings for breaking in the tv. I'm not sure how much they will help but id set it up for break in until ir goes away.
post #3072 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonal View Post

Ive been running slides all day to remove the HUD from MW3 and its still there. I can't believe that it is. I game a lot. 3-4 hours at a time at night when we do play. The set is practically brand new and I just got it the week of black friday so its maybe a month old. We watch Netflix here and there and blu ray and standard DVDs and that's it. The set itself doesn't see normal viewing time that a family may use it for. We just don't watch a lot of TV so I guess when I'm gaming that's the brunt of it.

Should I run the slides at a faster speed than what D-Nice suggests seeing as how I'm trying to remove this IR?

Also, where in the menu does it show the panel hours on the set?

I would be prepared to run them for a couple of days.

I don't think the slideshow speed would make any difference.

You need to access the Service Menu to get that info. I'm sure the instructions are somewhere on this forum.
post #3073 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkman11 View Post

I'm considering buying this set but after all of the IR posts I've seen in this thread, I'm having second thoughts.

I own 2 older Panasonic plasmas (2007 and 2010) and have been very happy with them. I do most of my gaming (PS3, Wii, and Xbox) on the 2007 model. I haven't had any issues with noticeable IR on my old tv (some ghosting from HUD that I don't notice once I switch to regular TV). Would this be the same type of IR? I can take that but I definitely can't handle having some HUD image retention for weeks at a time.

Would this IR only be noticeable when looking at slides? I've never done slides on the older sets, so there's a possibility of IR that I've just never noticed. If this is the case with the GT30, I could still consider it.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

To be clear, I only see the IR with slides and not normal content, but it still bugs me a bit. I don't watch a ton of TV, only 4200 hrs on my 2006 PX60U when I sold it last month. Maybe I could just let it go and continue with my normal viewing habits and there would never be a burn-in problem, just constant non-intrusive IR. I don't really care as long as it's not noticeable with regular viewing, but I just can't quite convince myself to believe that will be the case
post #3074 of 4156
Thanks for the clarification. I totally understand where you're coming from. Like you know it's there and that's enough to annoy you. I watch a good amount of TV, so as long as I don't notice it, I should be good
post #3075 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkman11 View Post

This is what scares me. Did you do any breaking in or did you just fire up MW3 right away?

I ran the D-Nice settings and slides for at least 100 hours. When I was playing, I was using THX which has the pixel orbiter turned off I guess from what I read. I guess I'll need to find some good custom settings so I can run the pixel orbiter. This better come out or I'm going to be very sorry I purchased a plasma.
post #3076 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonal View Post

I ran the D-Nice settings and slides for at least 100 hours. When I was playing, I was using THX which has the pixel orbiter turned off I guess from what I read. I guess I'll need to find some good custom settings so I can run the pixel orbiter. This better come out or I'm going to be very sorry I purchased a plasma.

To enable the Pixel Orbiter in THX you need to set your HD Size to "Size 1"

Menu > Picture > Aspect Adjustments > HD Size > Size 1
post #3077 of 4156
Thanks sboychuck.
I have the BD-210 blu ray player, and the display stays in THX (with contrast and brightness tweaked a bit low in the mid 40s) when I change discs. I have even gone so far as when I know the movie is about done, I power down the TV, eject the disc, put in new one, and then watch timer to see where it starts looping back on itself. Then I will turn the TV back on and immediately hit enter to start blu ray. That way I avoid as much menu time as possible, since the blu ray has reached the main menu by then and is looping on itself. Part of me thinks it's overkill as I have 2 other plasmas, Hitachi models from 2006, on which I watched tv, used the Direct TV menu, gamed, and used as a PC monitor out of the box with no ir whatsoever; and it seems dumb that 2011 models would be more susceptible than 2006s, but hey better safe than sorry I guess. Yes first thing I checked was build date, October 2011. Is network setup and firmware updates too menu intensive where I should wait until at least 100+ hours of break-in or go ahead with it? Also, the 2D-3D conversion isn't something that should be held off on untill post 100hrs is it (hope not b/c I have used it a bit.)
I was really surprised how much I like that feature. I haven't watched any TV or anything with it, but it really does give normal blu rays more depth.
Anyone use a soundbar with the GT30? I was going to buy one but then the more I looked at it, it seems the soundbar would block the ir sensors for the 3d glasses (non wall mounted obviously.)
post #3078 of 4156
I attached a photo of the tv on a Z-Line Vitora stand with an integrated mount. It will support 150 pounds, so no problem. They say it only fits up to 60" tv's, but this 65" fits perfect. The stand keeps the tv just above my 310. Do not get all crazy about being so careful with the tv that you are afraid to use it. If you can do the slides, do them. If you cannot, just keep it in THX for the first 100 hours. Go ahead and watch 3D as well. Just be careful of anything with black bars. Use the Zoom Format to extend the picture out. By the way, I am using a Panny 520 Sound Bar and it rocks. I connected it to the ARC input. I also have an Apple TV streaming from iTunes. Enjoy your TV and just take it easy for the first 100-150 hours.
LL
post #3079 of 4156
Go ahead and do your network setting and updates. It is not a big deal. If you work on it for two hours, that may be too much. That is way longer than it should take though. I know that some people have had problems with IR. I do not know what makes it happen on their sets. I watch a lot of fast motion sports and content. I never even considered anything other than a plasma. I saw a 70" Elite in a dark room side-by-side with a 65VT30. They were both being fed by the same feed of Avatar. The Elite did have a problem displaying a blue-green color. I thought about buying a VT, but do not feel the extra $700 was worth it for me. I love the PQ and looks of this tv over the ST30 series. Once again, relax and enjoy.
post #3080 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ped View Post

To enable the Pixel Orbiter in THX you need to set your HD Size to "Size 1"

Menu > Picture > Aspect Adjustments > HD Size > Size 1


I had it set to Size 1 at one time but then I must have gotten confused because I watched When Harry Met Sally on Blu Ray and I had to set it to another size because there were some black areas around the edges (film is 1.85.1) then when I play the Wii I have to trim the noise there too but on some other films or Xbox 360 I have to set it to another size.

Is this TV really picking up the over scan that much?
Should I always leave it on one settings or do I just need to do what I have been doing and change it based on how the content looks?

I never had to do this on my Rear Projection TV.
post #3081 of 4156
Need some help.... How do I get viera cast sound through my av receiver? Sound works fine with tv,and blu ray. Only get sound through the tv when using viera cast
post #3082 of 4156
While you haven't provided too many details about your setup (type of AVR, etc.) the likely solution to your problem is to hook up an Optical cable from the GT30 to your AVR. This will pass the audio from your streaming sources (Netflix, Amazon VOD, etc.) to your AVR. Your other sources are probably connected by HDMI to your AVR passing both audio & video.
post #3083 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonal View Post


I ran the D-Nice settings and slides for at least 100 hours. When I was playing, I was using THX which has the pixel orbiter turned off I guess from what I read. I guess I'll need to find some good custom settings so I can run the pixel orbiter. This better come out or I'm going to be very sorry I purchased a plasma.

I guess if I notice significant issues, I can return it to Best Buy. I'll have 30 days....
post #3084 of 4156
Can anyone confirm if the 65" GT30 has fans. Looking at the pictures from Best Buy does not show any fans, just four empty vents where it looks like fans should go.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ckView&count=0
post #3085 of 4156
I just got a 65GT30 and it does have fans, as I have felt them. I believe it has one on both sides near the top. I am not home right now, so I cannot confirm. I believe the other openings are to draw in cooler air. I hope that helps?
post #3086 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwdev View Post

Can anyone confirm if the 65" GT30 has fans. Looking at the pictures from Best Buy does not show any fans, just four empty vents where it looks like fans should go.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ckView&count=0

It does.
post #3087 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sboychuck View Post

I just got a 65GT30 and it does have fans, as I have felt them. I believe it has one on both sides near the top. I am not home right now, so I cannot confirm. I believe the other openings are to draw in cooler air. I hope that helps?

Okay thanks ... I have a VT30 and am not happy with the fan noise sometimes. Saw the fanless photo from Best Buy on the GT30 and got excited. I was thinking of returning the VT30 for the GT30 ....
post #3088 of 4156
50GT30

Ok 3d glasses are VERY hard to come by here in Vancouver - ok impossible - sold out everywhere. (believe me, i tried, but if u have seen someone with lots let me know)

I have been told that the Sony 3d TDGBR50B work just as well....anyone know? I think i will pick some up tonight and test. 49$ as opposed to 99$ (panny).

Panasonic wont get them to Canada until late Jan or Feb.
post #3089 of 4156
I had some on backorder at BB and they just came in late last week in Missouri.
post #3090 of 4156
*** This is not a flame about the Panny glasses*** I am going to say that I gave up on trying to get some Panasonic glasses at the end of November. I tried one pair of the SainSonic glasses and I was pleasantly surprised by them. Yes, they were half the price at the time and they were not horrible. They did have some ghosting, but not horrible. I am not trying to start a debate over the merits of either glasses. All I am saying is that their are alternatives. If the Panny's are too expensive or unavailable to you, try something else and make a decision based on your own needs. Again, I am only saying give some of the alternatives a chance and make your own decision.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]