or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 15

post #421 of 4156
Talk about being on the bleeding edge of technology!! Full price and performance issues. As always, thanks for the heads-up. I am going to demo one locally and see If i notice the gamma issues. Fortunately, I have some time to decide on brands/models.
post #422 of 4156
It will be nice oneday when the 60" and 65" show up.......
post #423 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post

I read the reviews and the complaints. I am sure there are all sorts of minor issues and imperfections. If you inspect a beautiful woman with a magnifying glass you will find a lot of imperfections too!

I think it's great that reviewers scrutinize the TVs. I choose not to. If I were to scrutinize the TV I would be more likely to become aware of minor issues. I don't see the point for the end user.

I have the 55 GT30 set up next to a 19 inch Vizio LCD. I have viewed and compared the two on several occasions. I look for overall picture quality and viewing experience. I only use the TVs for movies, slide shows and DirecTV viewing.

During the day the LCD looks better than the Plasma in THX. I was able to modify the vivid? settings to make the GT30 look as good as the LCD during the day. During evening viewing the GT30 is clearly better than the LCD. The GT30 definitely has more detail in the dark areas. I can see things on the GT30 that I can't see on the Vizio LCD.

I don't doubt the imperfections. If I were to follow directions and try to see them I am sure I would be able to notice a few of them. If I trained my eye to look for them it may have a negative impact on my viewing pleasure as I would be more likely to notice them.

I am more interested in the overall impact of the TV, the *look* of the TV, the ease of use, the remote, the functions, the inputs. The overall picture quality is so good to my eye that I don't concern myself with minor (to me) imperfections. I watched the whites on the GT30 compared to my Vizio LCD for several hours of viewing and I could not detect any issues under my viewing situations.

One surprise for me is the slide show capability on the GT30. I have tried several DVD player , Blu Ray player and TV slide show applications and have not been satisfied with any of them. Either they can't cope with a lot of slides or they have limited timing functions. I ended up with a Western Digital media player that works great. To my surprise I don't need it any more. The GT30 has a great slide show option. All I want is USB flash drive input and slow intervals and transition options. The GT30 has them all. The GT30 has THREE USB inputs! It comes with a handy USB extension cable that you can place on a flat surface making it easy to swap USB drives.

My biggest complaint is the location of the four HDMI and two of the three USB inputs. They are too close to the side. You can see the HDMI cables extending beyond the bezel. I ended up purchasing new cables with swivel ends so I can angle them down without having to put a sharp bend in an HDMI cable.

I could hear the fans when I was running the prep slide show with no volume. To hear them I listened from behind the TV. I can't hear them from my TV watching position even with the volume off. I have not been able to detect any buzzing sounds.

Zeuspaul

All good info Zeuspaul, keep us up to date! It's always best to hear from the actual consumers level and not the professional level, so I thank you for any input you share.
post #424 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyanjin2 View Post

Just bought the P50GT30 from amazon, and I'm looking for a wall mount. And was wondering if something like this would work. Or if you could recommend one for me.... thank you
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I can't speak to that particular mount, but I bought and installed the 3725 mount from Monoprice, and am quite happy with it. It's rated for more weight, which you may not need (but certainly doesn't hurt).
post #425 of 4156
I had ordered the gt30 but after reading this post I exchanged it for a 55vt30. Price was too good to pass up. Cheaper than panny epp.
post #426 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsmith View Post

I can't speak to that particular mount, but I bought and installed the 3725 mount from Monoprice, and am quite happy with it. It's rated for more weight, which you may not need (but certainly doesn't hurt).

I installed it yesterday worked great for me... I would have gotten the 3725, but its on back order.
post #427 of 4156
I have a new panasonics TC-P55GT30 Plasma TV and a Blu-ray Panasonic DMP-BDT210. Firmware on both updated. Both are WIRED connections (even tried wireless), both pass the network test. Neither will show Viera Cast/connect. I have a Linksys E3000 dual band router, I opened ports 48705, 443, 80 (port range triggering). Gave each a static IP address. All of this after calling both Panasonic & Linksys customer support and still neither show Viera cast/connect. Can someone help please!

Come folks there has to be someone that has experienced this problem!!
post #428 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddie_longlegs View Post

I have a new panasonics TC-P55GT30 Plasma TV and a Blu-ray Panasonic DMP-BDT210. Firmware on both updated. Both wired connection, both pass the network test. Neither will show Viera Cast/connect. I have a Linksys E3000 dual band router, I opened ports 48705, 443, 80 (port range triggering). Gave each a static IP address. All of this after calling both Panasonic & Linksys customer support and still neither show Viera cast/connect. Can someone help please!

Come folks there has to be someone that has experienced this problem!!

The fact that no one else has this problem leads me to suspect that this is in fact a problem on your home network.

Run a cable directly to the BD player ethernet connection and set it for DHCP (reset all network settings if necessary).

If it works then the problem is in your wireless setup or the Panasonic devices have a problem with your wireless security setup.
post #429 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The fact that no one else has this problem leads me to suspect that this is in fact a problem on your home network.

Run a cable directly to the BD player ethernet connection and set it for DHCP (reset all network settings if necessary).

If it works then the problem is in your wireless setup or the Panasonic devices have a problem with your wireless security setup.


Thanks for the reply. But as I noted above both connections are WIRED.
post #430 of 4156
Can someone explain to me how the ARC on the HDMI works ? and what it is for. My setup is the P50GT30, my audio receiver is the ONKYO TX-NR609. I looked here http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx but it doesn't look like a feature I would need to use.
post #431 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyanjin2 View Post

Can someone explain to me how the ARC on the HDMI works ? and what it is for. My setup is the P50GT30, my audio receiver is the ONKYO TX-NR609. I looked here http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx but it doesn't look like a feature I would need to use.

This is what I understand. It's main use would be for folks with a combo TV/DVD player. Potentially ARC allow 5.1 surround to be sent from the TV to the A/V Receiver. Otherwise stereo is the best you can do because of copy protection. With some implementations of ARC, you still get stereo.

ARC's real contribution may just be an additional bullet point in promotional material. I don't know enough about it to say how it's implemented in any particular device. It's possible that ARC would also contribute to bandwidth problems.

I am sure that I'll never need to use it.
post #432 of 4156
I would think the main intent of ARC is to provide a "protected path" for multichannel audio when streaming online content through the TV.
post #433 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ped View Post

I would think the main intent of ARC is to provide a "protected path" for multichannel audio when streaming online content through the TV.

Bingo.

If you use the built in Netflix in the TV you might want something better than stereo audio to listen to from the built in TV speakers.
post #434 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ped View Post

I would think the main intent of ARC is to provide a "protected path" for multichannel audio when streaming online content through the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Bingo.

If you use the built in Netflix in the TV you might want something better than stereo audio to listen to from the built in TV speakers.

Sure, unless ARC was restricted to stereo in it's implementation on either the the AVR or the TV. I've read that there are Samsung displays with stereo ARC implementations. All I'm saying is that ARC may not be ready for streaming BR with lossless multichannel audio. Of course, Netflix isn't really ready for that either.
post #435 of 4156
Not getting Viera cast/connect on Panasonic Plasma or Panasonic Blu-ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I have a new panasonics TC-P55GT30 Plasma TV and a Blu-ray Panasonic DMP-BDT210. Firmware on both updated. Both are WIRED connections (even tried wireless), both pass the network test. Neither will show Viera Cast/connect. I have a Linksys E3000 dual band router, I opened ports 48705, 443, 80 (port range triggering). Gave each a static IP address. All of this after calling both Panasonic & Linksys customer support and still neither show Viera cast/connect."

For those that replied thank you....Always go with the simplest answer! In my case I reset the Linksys E3000 router to factory default settings and everything works great "right now". The Tech help @ linksys didn't even tell me the correct way to open & forward ports (all closed now). Anyone else having a similiar problem PM me I'll be glad to help.
post #436 of 4156
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Panasonic let the GT30 go out the door with fluctuating blacks and worse gamma than the cheaper ST30, which is better on both counts.

Is there any chance Panasonic will release a firmware update to correct this?
post #437 of 4156
plasma tv buying guide has a review on the GT30 and gamma doesn't seem to be a major problem...
post #438 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubear View Post

plasma tv buying guide has a review on the GT30 and gamma doesn't seem to be a major problem...

No one said major problem, but how on earth did they allow the cheaper ST30 to have more accurate gamma? As well as not suffering from floating blacks.
post #439 of 4156
I've noticed on the gt30 that gamecube games played on the Wii have black bars running along the left and right of the screen. I am using component cables, and have tried changing the Wii settings to 480i, 480p, 16:9, and 4:3. All have the bars. I have also tried all the TVs 'format' settings. Zoom does not help. I really want the screen to age uniformly. Is this an issue with the Wii, or is there a way to adjust for this on the television? I can't exactly play for any period of time while the tv is breaking in with bars along the side...
post #440 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddie_longlegs View Post

Not getting Viera cast/connect on Panasonic Plasma or Panasonic Blu-ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I have a new panasonics TC-P55GT30 Plasma TV and a Blu-ray Panasonic DMP-BDT210. Firmware on both updated. Both are WIRED connections (even tried wireless), both pass the network test. Neither will show Viera Cast/connect. I have a Linksys E3000 dual band router, I opened ports 48705, 443, 80 (port range triggering). Gave each a static IP address. All of this after calling both Panasonic & Linksys customer support and still neither show Viera cast/connect."

For those that replied thank you....Always go with the simplest answer! In my case I reset the Linksys E3000 router to factory default settings and everything works great "right now". The Tech help @ linksys didn't even tell me the correct way to open & forward ports (all closed now). Anyone else having a similiar problem PM me I'll be glad to help.

First, I'm glad you fixed your issue. I am very close to buying the 50GT30, however, I have a few questions based the the review from FlatPanelsHD.com. Do you notice any dithering on this set, which is "noise (small flickering in the pixels) in the very dark grey tones". They claim it's noticable only at close proximity. I know it sounds dumb, most won't watch that close anyway. Also, have you seen any banding on this set?
post #441 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

First, I'm glad you fixed your issue. I am very close to buying the 50GT30, however, I have a few questions based the the review from FlatPanelsHD.com. Do you notice any dithering on this set, which is "noise (small flickering in the pixels) in the very dark grey tones". They claim it's noticable only at close proximity. I know it sounds dumb, most won't watch that close anyway. Also, have you seen any banding on this set?

Every plasma has some dithering. But as that review pointed out, it's almost never visible unless you're standing 2 feet away from the screen to look for it.
post #442 of 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddie_longlegs View Post

Thanks for the reply. But as I noted above both connections are WIRED.

Did you test using DHCP? I couldn't get static IP's to work on my ST30. DHCP works fine. (I'm running wireless).

Best,
jeff
post #443 of 4156
I hate the inner SILVER! bezel, it's a annoying example of design does not match needs.

And I am not able to have a nativ 1920x1080 picture from my Nvidia DVI connected PC.
The GT30 does always cut off some pixels, no matter what over/underscan settings I use.
post #444 of 4156
What settings do you guys use for regular viewing like NBA, or just your typical show like say The office ? I have already broken in the TV using the slides D-nice provided its about 110 hours now.
post #445 of 4156
Just an FYI -

I've had the TC-P55GT30 for a few days now, and last night I noticed pretty terrible audio crackling while watching Netflix movies through vieracast. This issue is also reported more than a few times over on the ST30 thread.

I was using a wired ethernet connection to my Linksys router, but when I switched over to the included wireless adapter, the issue resolved! Just wanted to let you guys know if you're experiencing this issue, using wireless seems to be a quick fix - though you can expect the Netflix app to take a much longer time to load (i.e. tabs take a while over wireless). I'll be calling Panasonic to report it, and I did read that they are aware of the issue with the ST30's and are working with Netflix to issue a firmware update fix.
post #446 of 4156
Thanks for the tip... I did notice this audio issue as well and resorted to streaming Netflix from my Blu-Ray player.

Also, I went up a size from a 50" to a 55" GT30 and noticed that the bigger set buzzes quite a bit louder than the 50". How's the buzzing on your set?


Quote:
Originally Posted by msandife View Post

Just an FYI -

I've had the TC-P55GT30 for a few days now, and last night I noticed pretty terrible audio crackling while watching Netflix movies through vieracast. This issue is also reported more than a few times over on the ST30 thread.

I was using a wired ethernet connection to my Linksys router, but when I switched over to the included wireless adapter, the issue resolved! Just wanted to let you guys know if you're experiencing this issue, using wireless seems to be a quick fix - though you can expect the Netflix app to take a much longer time to load (i.e. tabs take a while over wireless). I'll be calling Panasonic to report it, and I did read that they are aware of the issue with the ST30's and are working with Netflix to issue a firmware update fix.
post #447 of 4156
I noticed more of you are going for the GT30 based on reviews and posts. Yet, a small percentage out there are complaining of fluctuating brightness and shifting blacks. Most of my puchases are made on Amazon.com, therefore, I rely on positive reviews to influence me on whether or not to make a purchase. I was really looking forward to more 5 star reviews, however, after reading 2 more complaints, I'm disappointed and undecided. Do you honestly think maybe they got defective sets?

Are you guys noticing any of this on your GT30's? If so, does the break in period make the issues go away?
post #448 of 4156
I was planning on getting a Samsung D6900 plasma, but the brightness fluctuation issues is unacceptable to me. So I turned to the GT30 and now it seems people here are having similar issues. I dont understand how anyone would put up with such an issue. How do you even enjoy watching content on this set if the Brightness Fluctuates randomly. I'm surprised so many people are accepting this issue and not returning their sets. I only had the Sammy or Panny as my choice for my next set. Now I have no clue what I'm gonna do. Sucks!
post #449 of 4156
Can someone point me to, or take a quick picture of the HDMI connections on the rear of the GT30. I want to get some right angle adapters but want to be sure I purchase the correct orientation.


or
post #450 of 4156
emackn

You need the right angle adapter in the first image. I ended up with a Phillips swivel ended HDMI cable http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SWV347.../dp/B003EYVP12

Quote:


How do you even enjoy watching content on this set if the Brightness Fluctuates randomly.

I don't think it is random. I believe it is supposed to happen in scenes that have a lot of white and then rapidly change to a different scene. I have been watching general TV viewing on a GT30 for several weeks and have not witnessed the fluctuating brightness. My guess is when it happens it will be so quick that I'll probably miss it.

Zeuspaul
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]