or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 4

post #91 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The out of the box gamma is apparently 1.1 which is way, way lower than it should be. 1.9 was achieved after some calibration work.

I think it is too soon to say that this is a major problem, as it could be a service menu fix, or, hopefully Panasonic will own up to this and provide a firmware fix.

THX mode is one of the major step ups between ST30 and GT30 so it is mind boggling that THX does not have 2.2 gamma at a minimum.

I wouldn't recommend this tv to anyone that expects the THX to be great, out of the box and who doesn't plan on getting it calibrated by a professional (other than BB).

The exception would be if D-Nice says he can get it up to standard and that anyone else could as well.
post #92 of 4163
I keep hearing different from everyone.

So which is the ideal gamma for pure dark room viewing? 2.2 or 2.5? Thanks.
post #93 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

Ok, so even if the TV has the option to set it to 2.2 or 2.4 and it isn't exactly accurate, can't you get close? I have to imagine that if you have gamma settings, there is at least a setting in the bunch that get you closer than "bad" or "way" off. I have never understood why Gama can't at least always be close by at least tweaking said setting rather than completely off.



I love my THX mode from my 2008, and I have no indicators that it has gotten worse, only that the TV's have gotten better. So unless the gamma setting is "broken" (and people are saying it was tweaked "to" 1.9 in THX mode, which I find confusing since they also said gamma cannot be adjusted in THX mode...), I am wondering if it really "looks" bad, since one of the reasons I loved my 800u and am going back to Panasonic again is for that very accurate and solid looking THX mode that I have already been enjoying a 3 year old set.

I have the G25 (still breaking it in) and I really like THX for some things but I like Custom even better. I was hot for the GT30 after buying the G25 in January and this is the reason I'm so disappointed.

I saw the mini-shootout on HDJ and I thought the detail in the ST30 made it a better set than the GT25 also it doesn't have the problems associated with the GT25 either. I'd have no problem owning the ST30 but I'd wait a bit before buying too.
post #94 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 View Post

I keep hearing different from everyone.

So which is the ideal gamma for pure dark room viewing? 2.2 or 2.5? Thanks.

All I know for sure is that if I set gamma to 2.4 on my lcd then blacks crush.
post #95 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 View Post

I keep hearing different from everyone.

So which is the ideal gamma for pure dark room viewing? 2.2 or 2.5? Thanks.

2.5-2.6 is recommended for pitch dark room (as per digital cinema according to Spectracal).

2.4 for dimly lit room (this is what most studio monitors use for mastering content).

2.2 for daytime viewing to compensate for ambient light.

Sources
http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/...0_2.2or2.4.pdf
http://www.poynton.com/notes/PU-PR-I...n-PU-PR-IS.pdf
http://www.poynton.com/PDFs/GammaFAQ.pdf
http://www.poynton.com/PDFs/Rehabilitation_of_gamma.pdf
post #96 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

All I know for sure is that if I set gamma to 2.4 on my lcd then blacks crush.

You just have to raise the brightness control a few clicks.
post #97 of 4163
I just ordered yesterday and expect to get the P50GT30 within two weeks. I will post my review after i get it setup.

Unless I get a dud, I should be very happy with my decision. The price that I paid was simply amazing on the Panasonic EPP site.
post #98 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Where did you read that and where they talking about this set specifically?

I read it on the hdj junkies plasma forum for the gt30, it is post #259. He says specifically that he thinks the calibrator was able to up the gamma by accessing the "in service" menu.
post #99 of 4163
Here's some good information on gamma (with screen shots ).

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/what-...0080511108.htm

I understand that changing certain other settings can impact gamma. What impact does changing those settings, to account for a very low gamma, have on the over all picture quality? Does it limit what the person calibrating can achieve or just make it more difficult? If luminance is capped doesn't that make it even more difficult or limit what can be accomplished?
post #100 of 4163
I did the same as you. The deal was so amazing, I'm expecting them to cancel my order. Yesterday's prices must have been a mistake, or some kind of cruel April Fools' prank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbielowicz View Post

I just ordered yesterday and expect to get the P50GT30 within two weeks. I will post my review after i get it setup.

Unless I get a dud, I should be very happy with my decision. The price that I paid was simply amazing on the Panasonic EPP site.
post #101 of 4163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Silver trim is on both the inner and outer framing of the bezel.

And here's a picture (of the UK Version) where the silver trim where the inner bezel meets the screen.

I've already lamented on HDJ how it may end up being distracting, and now i'm wondering if they placed it there to give some sort of illusion about the black level being better than it really is when comparing the image to the black bezel.

post #102 of 4163
I also couldn't believe the price for the 50" GT30 on Panny's EPP website. I quickly ordered it and, like you, are hoping they will honor the price. My order does show up on Panny's tracking page, but interestingly there are no prices listed for the TV's on the EPP site right now.
post #103 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpole1 View Post

I also couldn't believe the price for the 50" GT30 on Panny's EPP website. I quickly ordered it and, like you, are hoping they will honor the price. My order does show up on Panny's tracking page, but interestingly there are no prices listed for the TV's on the EPP site right now.

You better return it, the GT model is defective this year. Maybe next years GT35 will be better. I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that the ST will be the only model worth buying from Pany. If you look online, for the price of a brand new 65VT25, you can buy a 65VT30 AND a 55ST30. I'm willing to bet someone has some inside info on the new sets and that info my friend (sadly to say) is these new models are garbage compared to last years and thats why they are selling them so high.
post #104 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by senkoskipper View Post

You better return it, the GT model is defective this year. Maybe next years GT35 will be better. I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that the ST will be the only model worth buying from Pany. If you look online, for the price of a brand new 65VT25, you can buy a 65VT30 AND a 55ST30. I'm willing to bet someone has some inside info on the new sets and that info my friend (sadly to say) is these new models are garbage compared to last years and thats why they are selling them so high.

What in the hell?
post #105 of 4163
Panasonic will NOT be honoring those prices for the 55GT30... It was clearly a glitch or something, because the next day they took the site down for maintenance and now the prices are back to normal.
post #106 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by senkoskipper View Post

You better return it, the GT model is defective this year. Maybe next years GT35 will be better. I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that the ST will be the only model worth buying from Pany. If you look online, for the price of a brand new 65VT25, you can buy a 65VT30 AND a 55ST30. I'm willing to bet someone has some inside info on the new sets and that info my friend (sadly to say) is these new models are garbage compared to last years and thats why they are selling them so high.

Umm, what? Where did you get this information from? Source?
post #107 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert311 View Post

Umm, what? Where did you get this information from? Source?

His ass.
post #108 of 4163
Costco has the GT30?
post #109 of 4163
The GT30 is not defective, it just has bad gamma in THX mode. You can still use Custom mode and get good picture quality in that mode.

Sounds like senkoskipper read something about gamma out of context and jumped to conclusions.
post #110 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by senkoskipper View Post

You better return it, the GT model is defective this year. Maybe next years GT35 will be better. I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that the ST will be the only model worth buying from Pany. If you look online, for the price of a brand new 65VT25, you can buy a 65VT30 AND a 55ST30. I'm willing to bet someone has some inside info on the new sets and that info my friend (sadly to say) is these new models are garbage compared to last years and thats why they are selling them so high.


I'm not sure if this is classic avs trolling or not...

the sets have received nothing but positive reviews, and the impressions across the board have been extraordinarily positive. There's a problem with THX mode in the GT30 with gamma, that likely isn't there in custom, and this issue may not even be a permanent one as the set the gamma was tested on wasn't fully broken in nor fully calibrated.

As for your comment I bolded, you're 'willing to bet' wildly inaccurate comments based on...nothing so far, other than your own post. And selling them so high? The sets this year are all significantly better than last in their respective 'one-lower' lines according to ...everyone whose seen them.

Please don't misinform other forum users.
post #111 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post

The GT30 is not defective, it just has bad gamma in THX mode. You can still use Custom mode and get good picture quality in that mode.

Sounds like senkoskipper read something about gamma out of context and jumped to conclusions.

THX is NOT supposed to have gamma that awful. It is NOT performing as intended. It is defective, Panasonic screwed it up.
post #112 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 View Post

THX is NOT supposed to have gamma that awful. It is NOT performing as intended. It is defective, Panasonic screwed it up.

Which can always be fixed with a simple firmware update. The only question is if/when they'll push it out.
post #113 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 View Post

THX is NOT supposed to have gamma that awful. It is NOT performing as intended. It is defective, Panasonic screwed it up.

They've screwed it up for a couple of years now. It's too bad.
post #114 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post

I'm not sure if this is classic avs trolling or not...

.

This is a poster suffering from noobitis.
post #115 of 4163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpole1 View Post

I also couldn't believe the price for the 50" GT30 on Panny's EPP website. I quickly ordered it and, like you, are hoping they will honor the price. My order does show up on Panny's tracking page, but interestingly there are no prices listed for the TV's on the EPP site right now.

Well they do have a disclaimer somewhere on their website that basically says they reserve the right to cancel or refuse an order if it's discovered that there was a pricing error, even after the credit card has been charged.

The regular online Panasonic Store also had drastically lower prices a few days ago then they raised them back up to MSRP, then the whole website went down for about a day.

This all happened on April Fools, so it's possible that someone hacked their site and lowered all their prices.

Edit - found a link http://www.panasonic.com/pol_docs/copyright-prv.asp
post #116 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 View Post

THX is NOT supposed to have gamma that awful. It is NOT performing as intended. It is defective, Panasonic screwed it up.

In one sense you are right. In another sense they've never got the gamma right on any of their TV's to begin with. Hopefully the VT30 will have a 10 point control and we can correct this.
post #117 of 4163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule View Post

Which can always be fixed with a simple firmware update.

True Dat. They fixed THX last year with an update, then corrected it at the factory on units built in or after August.

Quote:


The only question is if/when they'll push it out.

Now that there is a Panasonic Insider on another forum this year, information and feedback from the calibrators and enthusiasts is probably getting back to the right people at Panasonic so maybe this year things will move a lot quicker.
post #118 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post
I'm not sure if this is classic avs trolling or not...

the sets have received nothing but positive reviews, and the impressions across the board have been extraordinarily positive. There's a problem with THX mode in the GT30 with gamma, that likely isn't there in custom, and this issue may not even be a permanent one as the set the gamma was tested on wasn't fully broken in nor fully calibrated.

As for your comment I bolded, you're 'willing to bet' wildly inaccurate comments based on...nothing so far, other than your own post. And selling them so high? The sets this year are all significantly better than last in their respective 'one-lower' lines according to ...everyone whose seen them.

Please don't misinform other forum users.
THX and thinner is what sets this apart from the lower ST model. Sorry but I want to be able to use all of my tv functions. A porsche 911 turbo would not be acceptable if the turbos didn't work, even if it just got off the factory assembly line. I've already read the reviews from calibrators and sure they have some nice things to say but the tone on their posts/reviews is of dissapointment. Look i know you guys like panasonic and I do to but c'mon, you can't really sit there and tell me that the GT30 is a superior product. If this was LG or some of those other cheap brands, it would be acceptable. But when your known for making one of the best plasmas in the market and you advertise as so, then its unacceptable. If anything you guys are misinforming people with your blind nuthuggery of panasonic.
post #119 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by senkoskipper View Post
THX and thinner is what sets this apart from the lower ST model. Sorry but I want to be able to use all of my tv functions. A porsche 911 turbo would not be acceptable if the turbos didn't work, even if it just got off the factory assembly line. I've already read the reviews from calibrators and sure they have some nice things to say but the tone on their posts/reviews is of dissapointment. Look i know you guys like panasonic and I do to but c'mon, you can't really sit there and tell me that the GT30 is a superior product. If this was LG or some of those other cheap brands, it would be acceptable. But when your known for making one of the best plasmas in the market and you advertise as so, then its unacceptable. If anything you guys are misinforming people with your blind nuthuggery of panasonic.
Am I correct that the gamma issue is reported on one unit of a set that was "quick reviewed"? I think I'd wait for more reports on properly broken in units before assuming that this is a widespread issue.
post #120 of 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy60467 View Post
Am I correct that the gamma issue is reported on one unit of a set that was "quick reviewed"? I think I'd wait for more reports on properly broken in units before assuming that this is a widespread issue.
Yep, and now it appears that there may have been an error with the preliminary HDJ gamma reading. Stay tuned.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]