Originally Posted by AWimsey
While I'm relieved to find someone else experiencing this issue, I too am stumped at the cause. Like JSampsell I recently purchased this unit in hopes of streaming some content from my WHS as well as playing BDs. I also updated to the latest firmware using their alternate CDR method. The unit operates just dandy until I plug it in to my new TrendNet Gigabit Router at which point it locks up as described above. I have an older 100base router that I will try tonight. BTW this is the second unit I have from BB with this issue so I believe it is not a unique flaw. When this second unit (I exchanged the first one) exhibited the same symptoms I took it back and like the previous poster the Geeks connected it to their network just fine. I suspect that there is some network negotiation beyond DHCP which is returning unexpected data and hanging the BD75. Anyone else?
Terry, I finally decided to try a different model completely. I don't really want to spend the additional money for things that I don't use (3D being the main one) but I don't believe this issue will be resolved any time soon on their bottom of the line unit. As a Bluray player it is great. Even at the $100 retail price point.
I've ordered the other unit and will pick it up tonight. I'll test it and return one or the other based on my findings. Maybe even both. I've used Panasonic stuff for a few years now and this was the first thing that gave me this much hassle.
It makes absolutely no sense that the unit freezes up completely just because a WHS is connected to your network. Whether the DLNA compatability is an issue with non-Windows7 OSs or not, it shouldn't completely freeze the unit if there's a non-Windows7 machine with an OS on the network. Actually, I've forgotten until now that my wife's laptop is Vista and the unit works fine with the WHS unplugged but the Vista laptop on the network. So it's not really that it's a non-Windows7 OS. It appears to be directly related to WHS for some reason. I wish I knew more about WHS to troubleshoot but I don't. I know it's a version of Server 2003 but I'm not sure if it has some special services that run by default that could cause the issue. I even installed Serviio which is supposedly a DLNA-compliant media server software and turned off file sharing in the WHS control center settings.
Anyway, long story short, I'm tired of racking my brain over stuff that Panasonic really should have thought through and had fixed prior to releasing the unit. I'm just going to move on. Good luck finding a fix.