or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › The Killing on AMC HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Killing on AMC HD - Page 25

post #721 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Yup .. I'd like to see a guest appearance on "Breaking Bad" ..
OK, now that I've gotten a "Breaking Bad" plug in, I'll shut up ..

Speaking of Breaking Bad, are any of you Dish Network users concerned about the threat by Dish Network to drop AMC on July 1st? I'm not only hooked on The Killing, but I'm an avid fan of The Walking Dead and Hell On Wheels too, so even though I've been with Dish for 9 years, I may have to switch to DirectTV or Charter if they actually make good on their threat.
post #722 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post

I'm not sure what Terry would have been charged with. At the time all she was doing was helping dispose of a body, right? I was under the impression everyone on that beach was debating what to do with the dead body in the trunk. I think that makes Terry guilty of manslaughter. If Jamie was alive I assume there would also be an accessory to murder charge, but of all those I don't know which would bring the most time.
When the car enterd the water, you could clearly hear screaming coming from the trunk. There is no question that all three of them allowed whoever was in that trunk (I don't hink any of them knew who she was) to drown. Any of them could have gone after the car and opened the trunk to let her out before she died. That is a lot more serious than manslaughter.
post #723 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

When the car enterd the water, you could clearly hear screaming coming from the trunk. There is no question that all three of them allowed whoever was in that trunk (I don't hink any of them knew who she was) to drown. Any of them could have gone after the car and opened the trunk to let her out before she died. That is a lot more serious than manslaughter.

That's exactly how it went .. I'd guess Terry would get at least Murder in the 2nd degree ..
post #724 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

When the car enterd the water, you could clearly hear screaming coming from the trunk. There is no question that all three of them allowed whoever was in that trunk (I don't hink any of them knew who she was) to drown. Any of them could have gone after the car and opened the trunk to let her out before she died. That is a lot more serious than manslaughter.

That's how I read it too, and given that Terri was, I think, able to overhear Ames and Jamie's argument, I think there's at least a case to be made that she knew or suspected that whoever was in the car was still alive before she put the car in drive. That would elevate it from 2nd to 1st degree murder, IMO.
post #725 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post


Speaking of Breaking Bad, are any of you Dish Network users concerned about the threat by Dish Network to drop AMC on July 1st? I'm not only hooked on The Killing, but I'm an avid fan of The Walking Dead and Hell On Wheels too, so even though I've been with Dish for 9 years, I may have to switch to DirectTV or Charter if they actually make good on their threat.

Probably just posturing, but you never know. I was pretty surprised to see AMC insert a scroll urging their viewers to beseech DISH for their beloved channel while the finale of 'The Killing' was playing! So maybe it's more serious than you might ordinarily think.

Didn't D* finally add AMC's HD channel recently after years of mysteriously carrying only the SD channel? Seems pretty bizarre. What was up with that?
post #726 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Probably just posturing, but you never know. I was pretty surprised to see AMC insert a scroll urging their viewers to beseech DISH for their beloved channel while the finale of 'The Killing' was playing! So maybe it's more serious than you might ordinarily think.
Didn't D* finally add AMC's HD channel recently after years of mysteriously carrying only the SD channel? Seems pretty bizarre. What was up with that?

We've had this issue crop up with CATV (Charter) on some of the local affiliates over the last few years .. some actually did go black for a short time .. it's all about the money ..
post #727 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Probably just posturing, but you never know. I was pretty surprised to see AMC insert a scroll urging their viewers to beseech DISH for their beloved channel while the finale of 'The Killing' was playing! So maybe it's more serious than you might ordinarily think.
Didn't D* finally add AMC's HD channel recently after years of mysteriously carrying only the SD channel? Seems pretty bizarre. What was up with that?

The * feud* between Dish and AMC goes back several years but the most current reason Dish is giving customers for their threat to drop AMC is that viewership doesn't justify the cost for AMC and the other channels that go along with AMC (IFC, Sundance, and one other channel). Also, Dish is quite upset that AMC offers their programming through Netflix and Amazon.
post #728 of 1120
post #729 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Also, Dish is quite upset that AMC offers their programming through Netflix and Amazon.

Really .. ?? I mean, AMC is not the only to offer NF & Amazon their catalog for a price .. I doubt if Dish is "quite upset" .. of course, if you have a link to some factual info, I'd love to be proven wrong ..
post #730 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Really .. ?? I mean, AMC is not the only to offer NF & Amazon their catalog for a price .. I doubt if Dish is "quite upset" .. of course, if you have a link to some factual info, I'd love to be proven wrong ..

I tried to find the specific forum where this was stated (I've read quite a few of them!), but I couldn't. The only web link I could find that even hints at this is here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404019,00.asp As you will read, it doesn't actually say they're "upset," but that their viewership has declined because of AMC's availability to Amazon.com, iTunes and Netflix. I did read some commentary *somewhere* which intimated that Dish was upset that their viewership was down due to AMC having so many outlets for people to view their channels.
post #731 of 1120
I've seen mention often that a large part of it is the currently running lawsuit over Dish Network's dropping of the Voom channels, which essentially was the death of the Voom service altogether. Rainbow Media, which owned Voom, is now AMC Networks.
post #732 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I've seen mention often that a large part of it is the currently running lawsuit over Dish Network's dropping of the Voom channels, which essentially was the death of the Voom service altogether. Rainbow Media, which owned Voom, is now AMC Networks.

In the article from the link I posted above, it states the following about Voom:

"Dish appears to be using the decision to drop AMC as either a threat or retaliation in an ongoing case between the two companies. In 2008, AMC subsidiary VOOM sued Dish for $2.5 billion, accusing it of violating a 15-year agreement to carry the network. In a pre-trial ruling, the trial court judge ruled that Dish had destroyed stored evidence. According to AMC, Dish then notified the network that it would drop its networks."

I remember this quite well, for I too was peeved when Dish dropped Voom. There were several of those channels that I became addicted to and out of the blue they went black. I recall speaking to Dish reps many times asking them why they cancelled Voom and I never did get a straight answer. My biggest gripe when something like this happens is that the customer is never compensated for the channels that are lost (i.e., they don't lower your bill or give you a carrot like a premium movie package free for a year). I know if AMC is dropped Dish will simply tell us that they had no other options and that they would have had to raise our monthly fee had they kept it.
post #733 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

In the article from the link I posted above, it states the following about Voom:
"Dish appears to be using the decision to drop AMC as either a threat or retaliation in an ongoing case between the two companies. In 2008, AMC subsidiary VOOM sued Dish for $2.5 billion, accusing it of violating a 15-year agreement to carry the network. In a pre-trial ruling, the trial court judge ruled that Dish had destroyed stored evidence. According to AMC, Dish then notified the network that it would drop its networks."
I remember this quite well, for I too was peeved when Dish dropped Voom. There were several of those channels that I became addicted to and out of the blue they went black. I recall speaking to Dish reps many times asking them why they cancelled Voom and I never did get a straight answer. My biggest gripe when something like this happens is that the customer is never compensated for the channels that are lost (i.e., they don't lower your bill or give you a carrot like a premium movie package free for a year). I know if AMC is dropped Dish will simply tell us that they had no other options and that they would have had to raise our monthly fee had they kept it.
While I enjoyed a few of their channels, the one that I really miss, and still miss even today as there is no channel like it, is the World Cinema channel. I love foreign films and that channel had some stuff that I have yet to see on any channel since.
post #734 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

While I enjoyed a few of their channels, the one that I really miss, and still miss even today as there is no channel like it, is the World Cinema channel. I love foreign films and that channel had some stuff that I have yet to see on any channel since.

I also enjoyed that channel, along with the Extreme Sports (i.e. Rush)) and Horror (i.e. Monster) channels.
Edited by djoberg - 6/25/12 at 8:16am
post #735 of 1120
I finally watched the finale. I watched all of season 1, but only parts of season 2. A few questions...

What building were Jamie and Rosie in when Jamie first thought he killed Rosie?
More importantly, why was Rosie in that building anyways, and how did she get there?
If Jamie thought he actually killed Rosie the first time, why wouldn't he have put the body in the trunk of the car (because since she escaped from the car and ran out into the woods, I assume she must have been in the seats and not in the trunk)? Just seems really odd (creepy) that he'd put a dead body in the seat next to him or even in the back seat.
post #736 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bull View Post

I finally watched the finale. I watched all of season 1, but only parts of season 2. A few questions...
What building were Jamie and Rosie in when Jamie first thought he killed Rosie?
More importantly, why was Rosie in that building anyways, and how did she get there?
If Jamie thought he actually killed Rosie the first time, why wouldn't he have put the body in the trunk of the car (because since she escaped from the car and ran out into the woods, I assume she must have been in the seats and not in the trunk)? Just seems really odd (creepy) that he'd put a dead body in the seat next to him or even in the back seat.

Since you skipped parts of season 2 it seems you missed some important episodes. Everything happened in the casino. Rosie walked into the casino after taking the ferry. Most of the information you are asking was repeated often during season 2 so I am surprised you missed it.
post #737 of 1120
post #738 of 1120
Dump Veena Sud and they may have a shot at getting picked up.
post #739 of 1120
Myself, I liked the show and hope another network picks it up .. it beat most of the other cop dramas in watchability ..
post #740 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Dump Veena Sud and they may have a shot at getting picked up.

Keenan, could you feel in some detail regarding the animus towards her? I only caught up with this show this year, so I wasn't a viewer at the end of the first season when the uproar occurred for the lack of a resolution.
post #741 of 1120
That's a bummer! I was looking forward to Linden's next case and AMC's take on Lund's second Forbrydelsen story -which is all about politics and war.

I found the U.S. remake got much better on its 2nd. season, when the writers decided to finally let go of the original and try a different ending. I still like the Danish best, but I wish the American version had stuck around longer.

At least, Inspector Lund does return for a third -and last- whodunit, now in production.

Cheers!
post #742 of 1120
I guess there's still the hope that the show might get picked up elsewhere, but the general consensus seems to be that such an event is unlikely.
post #743 of 1120
Thread Starter 
I'm glad they were canceled, that's what you get for stringing audience along for two years..
They could of had a great thing going if they wrapped it up like they advertised in one season.
It would be refreshing to have one murder per season, solved in one season.
Oh well.
post #744 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

I'm glad they were canceled, that's what you get for stringing audience along for two years..
They could of had a great thing going if they wrapped it up like they advertised in one season.
It would be refreshing to have one murder per season, solved in one season.
Oh well.

I never really understood this sentiment, this righteous indignation and outright anger about the show not finishing it's mystery in the first season. From what I understand, neither did the original. 'The Killing' was more about the journey, the twists and turns, the marvelous characterizations and All. That. Rain. which made the city of Seattle a character in itself. I didn't particularly care if it took two seasons to solve the mystery. I was quite enjoying the ride.

Oh well. Along with the axing of 'Rubicon', that's two strikes against AMC in my book.
post #745 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

I'm glad they were canceled, that's what you get for stringing audience along for two years..
They could of had a great thing going if they wrapped it up like they advertised in one season.
It would be refreshing to have one murder per season, solved in one season.
Oh well.
+1! In the show's defense they at least, and at long last, had the wit to allow our intrepid detectives to solve the mystery of who murdered Rosie. I can't imagine where The Killing might go in a third season. Of course, I couldn't imagine there would be a second season until the final episode in Season 1.smile.gif
post #746 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

if they wrapped it up like they advertised in one season.

There's a question I have - did they promote the season 1 finale as "the big reveal" of who the killer was? I could understand some of the frustration if they pulled a bait and switch....
post #747 of 1120
Thread Starter 
They did before season started
post #748 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Dump Veena Sud and they may have a shot at getting picked up.

Yep, they reaped what she sowed. Has to go down as one of the worst showrunners on a show with a good premise ever, and those disastrous interviews after the first season debacle just nailed the coffin.
post #749 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I never really understood this sentiment, this righteous indignation and outright anger about the show not finishing it's mystery in the first season. From what I understand, neither did the original. 'The Killing' was more about the journey, the twists and turns, the marvelous characterizations and All. That. Rain. which made the city of Seattle a character in itself. I didn't particularly care if it took two seasons to solve the mystery. I was quite enjoying the ride.
Oh well. Along with the axing of 'Rubicon', that's two strikes against AMC in my book.

I never understood it primarily because I plowed thru S1 & 2 in the course of about a week via Netflix, OnDemand & the actual broadcasts of the last 3-4 eps. But most of us like to have things either spoon fed or wrapped up in a nice bow ASAP, so perhaps the way The Killing did things was not the best way to tackle a crime drama for American viewers.

I would have liked a S3, either delving deeper into the aftermath of the Larsen killing or giving our detectives another murder to solve...even if it took until S4 to get THAT answer.
post #750 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

+1! In the show's defense they at least, and at long last, had the wit to allow our intrepid detectives to solve the mystery of who murdered Rosie. I can't imagine where The Killing might go in a third season.
Where might it go? Obviously, with another murder mystery for "our intrepid detectives" to solve. rolleyes.gif Count me as wishing it had.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › The Killing on AMC HD