or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › The Killing on AMC HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Killing on AMC HD - Page 28

post #811 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

With "regular" TV you can listen to what's going on rather than having to read what's going on as well.

Do you turn off the picture while you're talking to your wife? j/k smile.gif
post #812 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Huh? Do you mean watching a show with subs takes longer somehow, lol, or that there are others shows without subs that you'd prefer to watch first, even tho' they may not be as good as the subbed ones? confused.gif

If I want to read a story, I'll buy a book biggrin.gif
post #813 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

If I want to read a story, I'll buy a book biggrin.gif

I'd have to agree with this .. subs distract from a film ..
post #814 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I'd have to agree with this .. subs distract from a film ..

In my case, they actually keep me more focused on the screen. I can't say that subs distract from a film when I don't understand a word being said without them.
post #815 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

In my case, they actually keep me more focused on the screen. I can't say that subs distract from a film when I don't understand a word being said without them.

If you are able to both read the subs and watch the film, that's great .. me, I won't watch anything anymore that is subbed .. if the studio won't overdub an English language track, then I'm out ..

Now, when I was younger (I'm 65) .. and did not need bifocals, it did not bother me .. now, I simply cannot watch and read .. simple as that ..

The joys of age ..
post #816 of 1120
Either NF should license it or BBC America should extend the license they have since they did the English subtitle version of the Danish series. Theres a more sophisticated audience that watches BBC America.
post #817 of 1120
For fans of Scandinavian crime drama,

Chloe Sevigny to Star in A&E's 'Those Who Kill'
post #818 of 1120
Also, Forbrydelsen III is showing up on Usenet.
post #819 of 1120
Ah, thanks for the tip!
post #820 of 1120
Looks like we're going to get a season 3!

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/killing-tv-series-amc-netflix-season-3-negotiations/
post #821 of 1120
I agree with some of the comments to that article, bring Rubicon back instead, you want "The Killing", watch the Danish original.
post #822 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I agree with some of the comments to that article, bring Rubicon back instead, you want "The Killing", watch the Danish original.

+1! I might go so far as to say Aaaarg!:smile.gif
post #823 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

Looks like we're going to get a season 3!
http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/killing-tv-series-amc-netflix-season-3-negotiations/
Following up on the huge success of seasons 1 and 2?

*crickets*

The only way this show works is if they fire Sud and get someone that has an ear for what the audience is saying.
post #824 of 1120
Article in The Daily Beast about Sofie Gråbøl, star of ‘Forbrydelsen,' the Danish original.

Sofie Gråbøl, Star of ‘Forbrydelsen,’ on Sarah Lund, ‘The Killing,’ and Season 3


Quote:
“I’d been asked a lot, ‘How do you feel about the American remake?'” Gråbøl said. “I wish they’d try to read subtitles, but if they won’t, then it’s fine to do their own thing.

Amen to that!
post #825 of 1120
Thanks for the link, Keenan. I wonder, if Season 3 really does get made here, how closely it will follow the Danish version.
post #826 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

+1! I might go so far as to say Aaaarg!:smile.gif

So... what? You want another formulaic cop/doc procedural instead? Yeah, I'd give my little toe to see another season of 'Rubicon', but that one really was "too smart for TV".

Look at it this way -- there were a lot of things about 'The Killing' we all liked. The cast, especially Joel Kinnaman's twitch-perfect Holder. Mireille Enos and the way she filled out those bulky sweaters. A twisty, turnie plotline that gave us reason to actually think whilst watching the boob-tube and all the after-show pondering of the plotlines. And all. that. rain. It was one of the most atmospheric shows I've ever seen. We were all digging that stuff during most of the first season and a re-read of this thread proves it.

What so many of us (not me, but that's just me) didn't like was the feeling of brutal betrayal at the mystery not being resolved after the first season. How dare they! But, presumably, they felt the sting of your wrath and will fashion a more tightly structured storyline for this next season that will be solved in a neat, tidy 13 episodes.

So, I say -- let us all rejoice! TV just got a little bit smarter with this renewal. And isn't that what most of here want?
post #827 of 1120
It could work if they do one season stories, but I still think they need to replace Sud to avoid this crap happening again. Or maybe AMC learned their lesson and will exert better control over her.

I've always been a fan of one season stories because it gives you a defined beginning and end to arcs that is often missing due to show cancellations or showrunner stupidity (here). FX is doing a good job with American Horror Story, frex.
post #828 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Thanks for the link, Keenan. I wonder, if Season 3 really does get made here, how closely it will follow the Danish version.
Who knows, they could go anywhere with it given the turmoil around the showrunner. I'd be much happier to see a 4th series of Forbrydelsen though.

What would really make me happy is a network that took the chance that there are actually viewers that know how to read subtitles, there's a huge library of content out there that never gets seen here, very high quality stuff in fact. Although it was focused on film, Voom's World Cinema channel was the sole reason I had the service, loved that channel, and then it all went away and there hasn't been another channel like it since.
post #829 of 1120
With the issues Netflix is having, I'll believe this when I see it.....I'm still waiting for the "Arrested Development" series that was also going to be on Netflix.
post #830 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

With the issues Netflix is having, I'll believe this when I see it.....I'm still waiting for the "Arrested Development" series that was also going to be on Netflix.

Patience, Padawan - it still is. Without looking it up, I believe the new season of AD will premiere on Netflix in the spring in its entirety.
post #831 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

It could work if they do one season stories, but I still think they need to replace Sud to avoid this crap happening again. Or maybe AMC learned their lesson and will exert better control over her.
I've always been a fan of one season stories because it gives you a defined beginning and end to arcs that is often missing due to show cancellations or showrunner stupidity (here). FX is doing a good job with American Horror Story, frex.

I think my biggest problem wasn't with Sud, but was actually with AMC. I wouldn't have been as miffed as I was if they hadn't been building up the finale of season #1, inferring, insinuating that we were gonna find out who the killer was, Sud didn't run all the ads and promos, that was the networks doing.
post #832 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Even though I would probably be considered a TV addict, I wouldn't watch a series with subtitles... too restrictive of my time.

That's a pity - you're missing out on some brilliant TV and movies.

Even without the subtitles you'd still miss stuff by not watching though - as unlike a lot of US TV - a lot of European productions use visual explanation, not just dialogue.

That was what made the US version of The Killing unwatchable for me. Everything that was UNsaid in the Danish original was added in the form of dialogue to the US version. You weren't left to infer anything from looks, reactions etc. If it was important, it was spoken... I felt like I was being treated like a child watching it.
post #833 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Also, Forbrydelsen III is showing up on Usenet.

Started on BBC Four / BBC HD (first time it has aired in HD in the UK) this weekend with burned in English subtitles.
post #834 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I'd have to agree with this .. subs distract from a film ..

I've never understood this argument. I watch lots of subtitled drama - some in languages I speak partially (French, German, Swedish, Norwegian), some in languages I don't speak at all (Spanish, Italian, Korean, Danish - though my Swedish gives me a bit of intelligibility) - and I'd far rather watch a decent film with subtitles than miss out on watching a decent film...

If it's a choice of the US Killing without subtitles or the Danish original with subtitles, there's simply no contest. The Danish original is just so much better. After watching the original, I found the remake unwatchably bad. It was SO dialogue-heavy.
post #835 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

If I want to read a story, I'll buy a book biggrin.gif

If I'm not going to bother to look at the screen, I'll listen to radio drama... wink.gif
post #836 of 1120
I've pretty much devoured all things Danish that's been recommended here (Varg Veum, Bron, Borgen, Forbrydelsen). Really great stuff. Anything else I should look into?
post #837 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

With the issues Netflix is having, I'll believe this when I see it.....I'm still waiting for the "Arrested Development" series that was also going to be on Netflix.

Uh huh.




http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2012/11/arrested-development-movie-set-pictures-austero-bluth-stair-car
post #838 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

I've pretty much devoured all things Danish that's been recommended here (Varg Veum, Bron, Borgen, Forbrydelsen). Really great stuff. Anything else I should look into?

Varg Veum is Norwegian not Danish - but I'll let you off!

Beck, Wallander, Irene Huss, Arne Dahl, Camilla Lackberg, The Sandhamn Murders, Sebastian Bergman are all watchable Swedish productions. Think Anno 1790 is going to be a good watch - only just started with it.
post #839 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post


Varg Veum is Norwegian not Danish - but I'll let you off!

Beck, Wallander, Irene Huss, Arne Dahl, Camilla Lackberg, The Sandhamn Murders, Sebastian Bergman are all watchable Swedish productions. Think Anno 1790 is going to be a good watch - only just started with it.

Tak. wink.gif
post #840 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

I've never understood this argument. I watch lots of subtitled drama - some in languages I speak partially (French, German, Swedish, Norwegian), some in languages I don't speak at all (Spanish, Italian, Korean, Danish - though my Swedish gives me a bit of intelligibility) - and I'd far rather watch a decent film with subtitles than miss out on watching a decent film...
If it's a choice of the US Killing without subtitles or the Danish original with subtitles, there's simply no contest. The Danish original is just so much better. After watching the original, I found the remake unwatchably bad. It was SO dialogue-heavy.

Agreed. The American Killing was a train wreck. I use bifocals but you look thru the long distance glass to watch TV and read subtitles. No problem with films such as the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in Danish and I only speak English. In fact, I use closed captioning while watching otherwise unintelligible British dramas. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › The Killing on AMC HD