or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › The Killing on AMC HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Killing on AMC HD - Page 34

post #991 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

'Course not. Red herrings are part of the DNA of a show like this. It's all about the journey.

Thought they may have gone a little over the top showing Holder snapping like that. Beating up his partner? Guess it's anger-manifested guilt from him not taking Bullet's calls on his cell. Still, they made a point of showing how Holder had "mainstreamed" this season, his druggie days long behind him, now this loss of self-control. He and Linden are really a dysfunctional team now.

As usual, I'm a little foggy on some of the plotline's subtleties at this point. There is a real killer (Joe) who killed a bunch of girls including poor Bullet, but he's not the real killer of Kallie.

Interesting that the killer on this show cuts off his girl victims' fingers. And currently on 'Dexter', there's a killer who breaks his girl victim's toes. Messing with victims' digits must be the serial-killer flavor of the week this year. tongue.gifeek.gif

I agree about it being about the 'journey' more then the final destination (which is why I still consider LOST one of the best shows ever even though the final episode was kinda disappointing) but the problem with The Killing is the way they handle their red herrings...it's pretty much lets focus on 1 red herring this week, clear him of all guilt in 1 episode and move to another red herring...rinse and repeat until the final episode...there are much better ways to handle murder mystery type of cases but this show throws too many obvious fake-outs througout the course of a season

as far as Holder beating up his partner...that made zero sense to me...so he beats up his partner for not telling him about the messages left by Bullet yet didn't he do the exact same thing by ignoring her phone calls?...zero logic to me

I think the show is telling is that Joe is guilty of the porn videos but not necessarily the killings...and that person might also be the killer of Ray Seward's wife...might end up with 2 killers as with the Rosie Larsen case when both the aunt and the mayor's aide were guilty
post #992 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

'Course not. Red herrings are part of the DNA of a show like this. It's all about the journey.

Thought they may have gone a little over the top showing Holder snapping like that. Beating up his partner? Guess it's anger-manifested guilt from him not taking Bullet's calls on his cell. Still, they made a point of showing how Holder had "mainstreamed" this season, his druggie days long behind him, now this loss of self-control. He and Linden are really a dysfunctional team now.

As usual, I'm a little foggy on some of the plotline's subtleties at this point. There is a real killer (Joe) who killed a bunch of girls including poor Bullet, but he's not the real killer of Kallie.

Interesting that the killer on this show cuts off his girl victims' fingers. And currently on 'Dexter', there's a killer who breaks his girl victim's toes. Messing with victims' digits must be the serial-killer flavor of the week this year. tongue.gifeek.gif

I wouldn't say they are long behind him, they will always be with him. He had done a better job of covering things up though before this case. The common factor is when Linden came back into the picture, he started caring again. He feeds a LOT off of her and she is both good and bad, because of her own issues they start to feed into his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I agree about it being about the 'journey' more then the final destination (which is why I still consider LOST one of the best shows ever even though the final episode was kinda disappointing) but the problem with The Killing is the way they handle their red herrings...it's pretty much lets focus on 1 red herring this week, clear him of all guilt in 1 episode and move to another red herring...rinse and repeat until the final episode...there are much better ways to handle murder mystery type of cases but this show throws too many obvious fake-outs througout the course of a season

as far as Holder beating up his partner...that made zero sense to me...so he beats up his partner for not telling him about the messages left by Bullet yet didn't he do the exact same thing by ignoring her phone calls?...zero logic to me

I think the show is telling is that Joe is guilty of the porn videos but not necessarily the killings...and that person might also be the killer of Ray Seward's wife...might end up with 2 killers as with the Rosie Larsen case when both the aunt and the mayor's aide were guilty

Not so sure it made "zero" sense. We saw a lead up to this with how he treated Bullet, when he found out that she gave him bad information. The only reason she didn't get the same was because she was a kid\girl. Finding out that he might have been able to save her, but wasn't given the calls, because the partner (who has a history of half assery) didn't give them to him, just brought the emotions to a boiling over point.

I am in agreement though as far as there being more than 1 suspect in the end....
post #993 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I wouldn't say they are long behind him, they will always be with him. He had done a better job of covering things up though before this case. The common factor is when Linden came back into the picture, he started caring again. He feeds a LOT off of her and she is both good and bad, because of her own issues they start to feed into his life.
Not so sure it made "zero" sense. We saw a lead up to this with how he treated Bullet, when he found out that she gave him bad information. The only reason she didn't get the same was because she was a kid\girl. Finding out that he might have been able to save her, but wasn't given the calls, because the partner (who has a history of half assery) didn't give them to him, just brought the emotions to a boiling over point

I understand why Holder was frustrated but my point was why did he beat up his partner for not giving him the messages when Holder himself ignored Bullet's call that same night?...Bullet tried calling Holder first...he saw Bullet's number on his phone but he chose to not answer...how is that any different then what his partner did?
post #994 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I understand why Holder was frustrated but my point was why did he beat up his partner for not giving him the messages when Holder himself ignored Bullet's call that same night?...Bullet tried calling Holder first...he saw Bullet's number on his phone but he chose to not answer...how is that any different then what his partner did?
Holder was projecting his frustration and self-guilt for not responding to Bullet onto someone else. Holder knows he himself is the one that should carry that burden, not his former partner, but he needed to vent and even if it was just a slight connection to what happened to Bullet it was enough for Holder to "justify" blaming him for her death instead of looking at his own failings.
post #995 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Holder was projecting his frustration and self-guilt for not responding to Bullet onto someone else. Holder knows he himself is the one that should carry that burden, not his former partner, but he needed to vent and even if it was just a slight connection to what happened to Bullet it was enough for Holder to "justify" blaming him for her death instead of looking at his own failings.

good answer...thumbs up smile.gif
post #996 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

good answer...thumbs up smile.gif
Thanks!
post #997 of 1120
It would have made things a lot easier on everyone if Bullit had just added a few words in her voicemail "I know who it is....it's [insert name here]"
post #998 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

my crazy thought of the week is that maybe Seward's son killed his Mom and Ray is just covering up for him by taking the rap?...why else would he have been so willing to stay and die in prison for so long?

I thought that myself. When Linden talked to Seward in prison she said that his son wanted to talk to him and Seward laughed. Wondered about that. Kid would've been too young to do that though.

Cary
post #999 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLGeter View Post

Anyone else thinking the killer is a cop?smile.gif

Yup. That's what I'm thinking.

Cary
post #1000 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

It would have made things a lot easier on everyone if Bullit had just added a few words in her voicemail "I know who it is....it's [insert name here]"

Lets just name the killer on the 1st episode wink.gif one and done.
Of course it would have been easier, but it wouldn't add to the drama and defeat the purpose of the call (to see Holder and get back in his good graces)
post #1001 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

This week's episode was the best show of The Killing yet, I thought. The scene between the desperate, deranged, preacher, and Linden put my heart in my throat. to call it "intense" would understate the case. I have always admired Mireille Enos' work but she blew me away in her scenes with the preacher. It has taken this show two plus seasons to hit its stride but it is, finally, on a roll.

I just watched that episode a few days ago, and was stunned at how powerful Enos' performance was in the moments after they cuffed the priest. In innumerable movies and shows, we've seen someone after being held hostage, yet never have I seen such a realistic portrayal of a person deflating after such a tense situation. She was literally quivering, like someone in shock.
post #1002 of 1120
Question about Kinneman: Was he always this buff? I always had the impression he was a lanky guy, yet in Season 3 we see he's huge. Maybe we just never saw him without a jacket before?
post #1003 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Question about Kinneman: Was he always this buff? I always had the impression he was a lanky guy, yet in Season 3 we see he's huge. Maybe we just never saw him without a jacket before?

He did look different in the prior two seasons. However, his career is on the rise and leading men are supposed to have a certain look these days...

Dianabol - breakfast of champions! wink.gif
post #1004 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Question about Kinneman: Was he always this buff? I always had the impression he was a lanky guy, yet in Season 3 we see he's huge. Maybe we just never saw him without a jacket before?

maybe he got buff after getting the title role in the new Robocop movie...that movie comes out in early 2014
post #1005 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

He did look different in the prior two seasons. However, his career is on the rise and leading men are supposed to have a certain look these days...

Dianabol - breakfast of champions! wink.gif

I forgot to mention: It's refreshing to see a buff, healthy-looking (except for the cigs) vegetarian man portrayed on TV. I'm not so big anymore in my old age, but when I was younger and had muscled up via weightlifting, people were constantly astounded to hear that I'm vegetarian. There's a misconception that vegetarians are wispy, sickly folks.
post #1006 of 1120
Wasn't he addicted to Meth and is now clean? Well we will see if that stays that way.
post #1007 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLGeter View Post

Wasn't he addicted to Meth and is now clean? Well we will see if that stays that way.

Yeah, his only vice now is cigarettes, an amusing connection with Linden who can't seem to quit either. It was one of the show's few light moments when they both gave in and stopped lying about having quit, & lit 'em up. My wife and I actually laughed at that scene and for 'The Killing', that may have been a first. tongue.gif

Heck, if I had a job like theirs I'd probably smoke too. And a lot of other stuff.
post #1008 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Yeah, his only vice now is cigarettes, an amusing connection with Linden who can't seem to quit either. It was one of the show's few light moments when they both gave in and stopped lying about having quit, & lit 'em up. My wife and I actually laughed at that scene and for 'The Killing', that may have been a first. tongue.gif

Heck, if I had a job like theirs I'd probably smoke too. And a lot of other stuff.

I actually chuckle quite a bit when Holder puts on his street slang. What did he say to an old guy in a wheelchair? "Hey, vintage playa! Got a cig?"
post #1009 of 1120
Wow. No comments yet? After what happened tonight, I guess this thread is almost a ghost town. Seward should be arriving soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #1010 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Wow. No comments yet? After what happened tonight, I guess this thread is almost a ghost town. Seward should be arriving soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yea, another really good episode. My only comment right now is that I'm certain the perpetrator is not a cop, that's why speculation that he (she) was one was featured so prominently in the coming attractions.

I read a review this morning that basically said the reason the the killer in Season 1/2 had to be the sister was that by the end of the final episode there was no one left in Seattle who hadn't already been offered up as a red herring. smile.gif Seems that's the way it's going this season as well.
post #1011 of 1120
I didn't know that Elliot Bay has a penitentiary and I lived in Seattle for years. Actually Linden should be making trips across the state to Walla Walla. biggrin.gif
post #1012 of 1120
decent episode but I liked last week's episode better...guess they were going for the shock value by killing off Seward but it didn't really shock me...definitely not in the same league as Ned Stark's death...I'm just looking forward to the season finale and the final reveal of the killer or killer(s)
post #1013 of 1120
I thought yesterday's episode had emmy performances all over the place. Very emotional near the end. Wife and I both teared up during the last scene.
post #1014 of 1120
I too thought the episode was excellent. My wife, who normally doesn't watch The Killing, was sitting there engrossed as the clock got closer to hangin' time. Very intense.
post #1015 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by theob View Post

I thought yesterday's episode had emmy performances all over the place. Very emotional near the end. Wife and I both teared up during the last scene.
Yeah, so did I. I actually closed my eyes at "that" moment. Very emotional show and very well done.
post #1016 of 1120
Season 3 is definitely better then the 2 season Rosie Larsen mystery but honestly the show is very average...some good performances on an otherwise ordinary show...the ratings reflect that as well...not in the same ballpark as Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones...I would be shocked if they get picked up for Season 4
post #1017 of 1120
Ratings are virtually identical to last season, and that got them to this point, so who knows? Whether they're good or bad is irrelevant to the show's quality, though.
post #1018 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonesCat View Post

Ratings are virtually identical to last season, and that got them to this point, so who knows?

the show was cancelled last season with those ratings and only got picked up because of some last minute revenue sharing deal with Netflix
post #1019 of 1120
Worst last meal -> "Salisbury steak is not steak. It's ground beef."
post #1020 of 1120
But very tasty if done right. I loved the stuff when I was a kid. Don't know about last meal good, though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › The Killing on AMC HD