or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 6

post #151 of 3425
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-man View Post

Anyone do any gaming on the new Sonys?

Only a couple of hours. Nothing to brag about. it looks fantastic, but I cannot comment on lag. I played COD: BO for maybe 2 matches. and placed in the top 4 each time. This is with over 2 months off.
post #152 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post

Doesn't low quality sources always look like crap when displayed on a large 60" screen (e.g. since the low resolution pixels get blown up and artifacts become more visible)? Have you compared it to what low quality sources look like on other 60" TVs?

i watch all in the family on tv land, non digital or whatever and the pic is horrible

was better on my 3 yr old sony i bought at costco, the hi def and 3d is awesome but i guess to get decent sd you need to pay the extra for the pro engine which i wish i would have done now

i would like to see the two side by side, the xreality and the xreality pro...it was $500 more on the 46 inch to stay with the opti glass and get the pro engine, i took a chance and now regret it...most of you probably dont watch shows like that or non digital so wont matter, the netflix stuff, blu ray, 3d, hi def dtv, all awesome
post #153 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-man View Post


Your sharpness setting seems a bit high. Have you tried lowering it?

You could lower it 2 or 3 values if you like.
post #154 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post


Doesn't low quality sources always look like crap when displayed on a large 60" screen (e.g. since the low resolution pixels get blown up and artifacts become more visible)? Have you compared it to what low quality sources look like on other 60" TVs?

Not always, look at the big Panasonic plasmas they will blow your mind, and wallet. Lol
post #155 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiang54 View Post
I have the same question that was posted earlier but I am not sure that it was answered.

I was offered the 60NX810 about five weeks ago as an exchange for my defective SXRD. As it has been well over the quoted three weeks delivery time, I called to check the status. I was told that I could continue to wait for the 810 (shipping date unknown) or move forward with a 2011 NX720 for the same price. After much research, I really can't discern if there is much of a difference other than

1) the 810 is heavier
2) the 810 seems to be more expensive

Does anybody have any information regarding these two sets? Numerically, it would be easy to assume that the 810 is the superior set but I am not sure that this is the case.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Im in exact same situation as you ..
I live in canada toronto and they offered it to me for 1150 + taxes for my 60sxrd2 .. (nx810 or nx720)
I dont know which one to take ... so I really need ppl's opinion ..
I saw nx720 from sonystore near me and it looked really gorgeous .. I wish i can have them side by side and compare the quality ...
post #156 of 3425
Thread Starter 
Are they both 60"?
post #157 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdk80 View Post
Im in exact same situation as you ..
I live in canada toronto and they offered it to me for 1150 + taxes for my 60sxrd2 .. (nx810 or nx720)
I dont know which one to take ... so I really need ppl's opinion ..
I saw nx720 from sonystore near me and it looked really gorgeous .. I wish i can have them side by side and compare the quality ...
My understanding is that you are not going to get the 60NX810. (to clarify I was offered one in late March)
I was offer an 55EX720 and said no thanks, 2 weeks later I asked for an 60NX720 and I am now expecting it to ship as the pending charge showed up yesterday.
I wish I had asked about a 55HX929 just to see if they would go for it, I still feel short changed, but it’s better than watching my favorite Martian.
Deal with Sony listens, it can be an easier experience.
post #158 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merican View Post


My understanding is that you are not going to get the 60NX810. (to clarify I was offered one in late March)
I was offer an 55EX720 and said no thanks, 2 weeks later I asked for an 60NX720 and I am now expecting it to ship as the pending charge showed up yesterday.
I wish I had asked about a 55HX929 just to see if they would go for it, I still feel short changed, but it's better than watching my favorite Martian.
Deal with Sony listens, it can be an easier experience.

The NX810 is last years model, the NX720 is brand new, just came out last week..
post #159 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiresolution View Post

The NX810 is last years model, the NX720 is brand new, just came out last week..

I realize that, I was just giving the abbreviated version of my saga. I was told by multiple levels of customer service that that there are no more 60NX810's to ship as SXRD replacements. I would have liked a true 240Hz tv with better processing rather than the motionflow 240, but the gorilla glass is a nice touch. Besides this is just a filler set until somebody gets their HD act together as was the SXRD but it gave up the ghost too early.
post #160 of 3425
why everyone lumps directly on HX929? why not considering HX820?
post #161 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post

why everyone lumps directly on HX929? why not considering HX820?

Because the 929 will be much better....the best.
post #162 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merican View Post


I realize that, I was just giving the abbreviated version of my saga. I was told by multiple levels of customer service that that there are no more 60NX810's to ship as SXRD replacements. I would have liked a true 240Hz tv with better processing rather than the motionflow 240, but the gorilla glass is a nice touch. Besides this is just a filler set until somebody gets their HD act together as was the SXRD but it gave up the ghost too early.

I agree
post #163 of 3425
First post

Two things:
1) In every calibration suggestion you essentially turn every feature the Sony technicians have been working ages to develop. Why is this so? Do you never need them???

2) Can you really talk about SD performance on a large TV set?
I have a 32 inch CRT. If I set "your" 60 inch sony or any other big LCD/Plasma in my living room and watch from the same distance on the same SD channel, my old CRT will kick their but. So I'm certainly not buying my new Sony because of SD performance. But then again I want the best performance my money can buy
post #164 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo76 View Post

First post

Two things:
1) In every calibration suggestion you essentially turn every feature the Sony technicians have been working ages to develop. Why is this so? Do you never need them???

2) Can you really talk about SD performance on a large TV set?
I have a 32 inch CRT. If I set "your" 60 inch sony or any other big LCD/Plasma in my living room and watch from the same distance on the same SD channel, my old CRT will kick their but. So I'm certainly not buying my new Sony because of SD performance. But then again I want the best performance my money can buy

This Sony had the worst out of the box picture I have ever seen. It now looks stunning and I am sure would look better than any CRT even in SD. They have came a long ways since CRT's my friend.
post #165 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo76 View Post

First post

Two things:
1) In every calibration suggestion you essentially turn every feature the Sony technicians have been working ages to develop. Why is this so? Do you never need them???

2) Can you really talk about SD performance on a large TV set?
I have a 32 inch CRT. If I set "your" 60 inch sony or any other big LCD/Plasma in my living room and watch from the same distance on the same SD channel, my old CRT will kick their but. So I'm certainly not buying my new Sony because of SD performance. But then again I want the best performance my money can buy

Most people turn off interpolation and such to reduce what is termed as the "soap opera effect", a pseudo 3D appearance. Looking at TV's at BB even my daughters said it looks fake and we're not getting that TV are we.

When my 24 year old 25 RCA gave up the ghost 4 years ago I wouldn't consider a LCD because of the screen door effect and mosquito noise. SXRD's held the best promise for me but I knew SD would be an issue on a 55" screen. Luckily HD content is such that I rarely am interested in a show that is only broadcast in SD.

My biggest pet peeve is how an LCD TV handles curves and diagonal lines, if they are noticeably jaggy with a cursory glance I stop right there.

Since my purchase is an unplanned and sight unseen I can only hope for the best when it arrives.
post #166 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiresolution View Post

This Sony had the worst out of the box picture I have ever seen. It now looks stunning and I am sure would look better than any CRT even in SD. They have came a long ways since CRT's my friend.

I second all of this...

I was very hesitant on the 60NX720 after years of seeing disappointing LCDs. But now after I have it and set up decent I am VERY happy with it.
post #167 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoryx View Post

Only a couple of hours. Nothing to brag about. it looks fantastic, but I cannot comment on lag. I played COD: BO for maybe 2 matches. and placed in the top 4 each time. This is with over 2 months off.


So games look good on the TV? I mainly use mine for watching HD programes, blu-ray, upconverted DVDs and gaming.
post #168 of 3425
Portal 2, Crysis 2, Black ops, Medal of Honor all look amazing.

Better than my old KDS-60XBR2.

Much more accurate.

I never was bothered by the XBR2 but after seeing this TV for a good bit, the LCD projector definitely was inferior.

Kind of like, add a dull grey filter to it and you get the XBR2.
post #169 of 3425
Well that's encouraging. I have the same games you mentioned.

Any motion blur or lag?
post #170 of 3425
I haven't noticed ANY of either, and I went 40-3 on a BlackOps match, so pretty sure lag isn't an issue, because milliseconds count in that world.
post #171 of 3425
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by overboosted View Post

I haven't noticed ANY of either, and I went 40-3 on a BlackOps match, so pretty sure lag isn't an issue, because milliseconds count in that world.

Now thats something to brag about!
post #172 of 3425
Any other owners notice any clouding during dark scenes?
Im wondering if mine was damaged during shipment or a defective panel.
I'd like to think they've resolved these issues for 2600.00. Perhaps im a fool to assume this.
Any feed back would be much appreciated.
post #173 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.module View Post

Any other owners notice any clouding during dark scenes?
Im wondering if mine was damaged during shipment or a defective panel.
I'd like to think they've resolved these issues for 2600.00. Perhaps im a fool to assume this.
Any feed back would be much appreciated.

Probably just the factory calibrations they suck.
post #174 of 3425
Hiresolution
Audio@Video phd.



Quote:
Originally Posted by j.module
Any other owners notice any clouding during dark scenes?
Im wondering if mine was damaged during shipment or a defective panel.
I'd like to think they've resolved these issues for 2600.00. Perhaps im a fool to assume this.
Any feed back would be much appreciated.
Probably just the factory calibrations they suck.
Should I blow money on a calibration disc? have someone do an isf calibration? Or tinker till my eyes bleed?
post #175 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.module View Post

Hiresolution
Audio@Video phd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.module
Any other owners notice any clouding during dark scenes?
Im wondering if mine was damaged during shipment or a defective panel.
I'd like to think they've resolved these issues for 2600.00. Perhaps im a fool to assume this.
Any feed back would be much appreciated.
Probably just the factory calibrations they suck.
Should I blow money on a calibration disc? have someone do an isf calibration? Or tinker till my eyes bleed?

Lol, you could use the disc on any TV. I think that's all you need.
post #176 of 3425
@hiresolution and @merican:
Thanks for the reply.

Ok. We can stop talking about CRTs. As you say. They are more or less history and thus irrelevant.

Another question:
I see these calibration suggestions. What are they for? Can you set your TV for both good quality HD and SD viewing, or would you need two profiles to switch between?

Thanks
Br
Robert
post #177 of 3425
Well folks after 3 weeks of playing with my 60NX720, I can tell you that the HD picture is nothing but fantastic on Bluray. I really had a hard time setting the set for satellite TV (Bell TV... in Canada) HD is perfect when tuning a very good channel but it is so different from channel to channel that I almost need to fine tune the set everytime I swap channel. The SD material is the worst I have ever seen on any TV... I am wondering if the problem is related to the satellite TV provider. Unfortunately, I have nothing to compare. One month ago I changed from cable TV to satellite TV. I can't be sure if the problem is coming from the TV or from the service provider... One thing is for sure, Bluray are perfect, I also watched THRON in 3D and this was also a fantastic experience. I am curious to hear from you guys, how is SD stuff is looking on you set with cable or with satellite?
post #178 of 3425
@belpat
I only have a 40 incher, but that is why I'm asking. Many hear praise the HD quality so that is why it is interesting to hear about SD quality. Even at 40 inch my fears were true. Bad quality programs (take "Cheers" for instance or something of similar age) are really nasty. On my 32" CRT those programs look bad because of the fact that they were shot with a bad quality (with todays standards) camera. But with my new Bravia these flaws just gets worse. I hope it is because as many mentions digital processing that "smears" out these flaws to produce an even more flawed picture... I just got to quite working and go home experimenting.

Just a quick OT question:
To be able to test the HD quality, what should I do? I have never owned a Blue-ray player. Is a PS3 good enough?

Thank you
BR
Robert

Btw. Technically I should not post in this thread since I own a KDL __40__ NX720!
post #179 of 3425
PS3 is a fantastic bluray player.
post #180 of 3425
Thread Starter 
@ Belpat,
Do you mind posting your settings?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720)