or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 100

post #2971 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu2507 View Post

Hey everyone.

First time poster to this site. I just bought the 55 NX 720. I am new to the world of LED and 3D, so I was hoping to get some good feedback.

1. Need to get a Blue Ray 3D player... I am leaning towards a PS3 to get the gaming with it. Would this work well with the NX 720, or should I go with something else?

2. Being new to 3D, can anyone tell me what the best settings and equipment I should get? Glasses, Cables, Settings?

3. Lastly, are all these different settings on the display necessary? I feel the need to turn everything on but not sure this ruins the pic.

Thank you for all suggestions.

Such an innocent post....but one capable of starting so many arguments...

1) Any player should be fine...the PS3 having the obvious advantage of also being able to play games.

2) I'm not a fan of 3D so no comment. Some folks seem to think some glasses are better than others (although I'm not convinced). See recent posts in this thread.

3) Also no comment other than to suggest the settings that have already been posted by many in this thread (find one you like) but also experiment with Motionflow set to 'Clear' to see if you like it. It will darken the display so you'll have to adjust the backlight to compensate, but it offers the most motion resolution without causing 'Soap Opera Effect'.
post #2972 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu2507 View Post

Hey everyone.

First time poster to this site. I just bought the 55 NX 720. I am new to the world of LED and 3D, so I was hoping to get some good feedback.

1. Need to get a Blue Ray 3D player... I am leaning towards a PS3 to get the gaming with it. Would this work well with the NX 720, or should I go with something else?

2. Being new to 3D, can anyone tell me what the best settings and equipment I should get? Glasses, Cables, Settings?

3. Lastly, are all these different settings on the display necessary? I feel the need to turn everything on but not sure this ruins the pic.

Thank you for all suggestions.

following up to what AMartin56 already said..

1. A PS3 would be a great solution because you get a 3D bluray player plus a video game machine in one. Can't go wrong.

2. Glasses are up to you. Sony makes a couple of pairs and I find them to be quite good, however some people have recommended the Playstation glasses. I cannot comment on them because I have never used them. As for the cables, you will want to make sure you have at least v1.3 HDMI cables. Some say you need v1.4 to see 3D, but I think that is just a scam so you pay for more cables. I believe that v1.3 cables can transfer fast enough to do 3D as well. However if you find some cheap v1.4 HDMI cables, it wouldn't hurt to pick those up. As for the settings - you don't really have to set anything when you are watching 3D. Just make sure you limit the amount of ambient light, as that can cause some reflections in the lenses of the glasses. I prefer to watch 3D or play 3D games at night when it's dark so I can get the best effect possible. If you are using them in the day, just try to close the blinds or turn of lamps or anything else that will cause reflections off the TV and your glasses.

3. Pick some settings, plug them in, and see what you like. You can always tweak them and see what works better for you. Everyone here has their own preferences/likes/dislikes, so while their settings may work for you, they may not work for the next person. Find what you like and stick with it.

Enjoy the TV.
post #2973 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Hmm...maybe it's a panel lottery thing, but with the 60 inch you don't even have to start the movie to see terrible crosstalk in Tron Legacy. The menu options along the bottom of the title screen are really bad. And this is with straight on viewing with no head tilting etc.

I definitely don't notice that with my 55" (Again, the HX729 - so understandably different because it's a different model). I wonder if the 3D effect isn't as strong along the edges of the TV as it is more towards the middle.
post #2974 of 3424
Got my 55" yesterday and only had a few hours to play with it. Can't wait to get home from work!

I immediately input the CNET settings and tried Dark Knight from my PS3. It looked fantastic and I honestly had no complaints. Switching to TV though, I found the color a bit too dull...bumping it to 60 made a nice difference, but I'll probably settle around 55 so I'm going too far off their calibration. I really want to try swolfcg's adjustments later, since they're pretty close.

I'm a purist, so I really prefer settings based on accurate calibrations like CNET's. Going completely by "feel" like neverfaithful may satisfy those looking to match their own comfort zone, but I really recommend sticking to calibrated settings for a few weeks. Your perceptions will adjust with the understanding that what you're viewing, while not what you're used to, is the truest representation of the intended picture.

You may find Warm2 too red/yellow at first, but after some time you'll find lower temps too blue. 6500k should be your goal!
post #2975 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShOcKwAvE85 View Post

Got my 55" yesterday and only had a few hours to play with it. Can't wait to get home from work!

I immediately input the CNET settings and tried Dark Knight from my PS3. It looked fantastic and I honestly had no complaints. Switching to TV though, I found the color a bit too dull...bumping it to 60 made a nice difference, but I'll probably settle around 55 so I'm going too far off their calibration. I really want to try swolfcg's adjustments later, since they're pretty close.

I'm a purist, so I really prefer settings based on accurate calibrations like CNET's. Going completely by "feel" like neverfaithful may satisfy those looking to match their own comfort zone, but I really recommend sticking to calibrated settings for a few weeks. Your perceptions will adjust with the understanding that what you're viewing, while not what you're used to, is the truest representation of the intended picture.

You may find Warm2 too red/yellow at first, but after some time you'll find lower temps too blue. 6500k should be your goal!

I'm also running at what is basically CNET other than Motionflow set to Clear and Backlight set to 5 due to the dimming effect of Motionflow Clear.

And I think you'll find that color at 55 is a good compromise. It's what I use. Like you I thought 50 'takes some of the fun out of owning a LCD set and what they are best at' but 60 made some things look clownish.
post #2976 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

I'm also running at what is basically CNET other than Motionflow set to Clear and Backlight set to 5 due to the dimming effect of Motionflow Clear.

And I think you'll find that color at 55 is a good compromise. It's what I use. Like you I thought 50 'takes some of the fun out of owning a LCD set and what they are best at' but 60 made some things look clownish.

I remember someone mentioned that Picture above 97 causes their blacks to not be so black anymore. Cnet sets it to Max.

I have my Picture set to 90 and Brightness to 50. Swolf mentioned 95 and 49.

What is the sweet spot for you?
post #2977 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr View Post

I remember someone mentioned that Picture above 97 causes their blacks to not be so black anymore. Cnet sets it to Max.

I have my Picture set to 90 and Brightness to 50. Swolf mentioned 95 and 49.

What is the sweet spot for you?

I believe someone said that contrast above 95 clips whites.

I don't have a real preference. Anything from 95 to Max looks about the same to me.
post #2978 of 3424
Do you all really think warm2 looks even close to real? Everything looks yellow to you when you walk outside? This is blowing my mind lol.
post #2979 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post

Do you all really think warm2 looks even close to real? Everything looks yellow to you when you walk outside? This is blowing my mind lol.

Is the sun yellow or is it blue?
post #2980 of 3424
Again, it is all a matter of preference and what you are using the panel for. These LCD/LED panels have all these different setting so that an individual can choose what they like best. No one can tell a person whats best for them.

If anything, members should post a clear photo of their best picture quality from their favorite movie along with their setting underneath it so we can get a feel for what you are seeing and then a person might want to mimic them. I already did that and I love my panel setting just the way they are. :-)
post #2981 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Is the sun yellow or is it blue?

Is the sun out indoors or at night? Why force yellow in every situation?
post #2982 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post

Is the sun out indoors or at night? Why force yellow in every situation?

At night while indoors I turn on incandescent bulbs. They are also warm.

In any case color temperature comes down to preference like most things, but 6500k should be your goal IF you're concerned about display accuracy (some aren't...whatever floats your boat). And short of getting your display calibrated (which I DON'T recommend for most people) warm 2 is the closest (reviewers that DO calibrate the TVs have been saying this with Sonys forever).

Personally I blame computer monitors and the fact that we do more and more content watching on them. I've owned quite a few laptops and all of them 'run cold' as far as the screen is concerned. Always bugs me until I get used to it, but then some people think it looks 'crisp'.
post #2983 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonridr View Post

My TV has that black box saying switching audio to external speakers when I first turn it on too - but that is because I have turned off the TV speakers in the options menu. It only stays on the screen for a second or two and then is gone. Is everything plugged in through your receiver and then to the TV? Or do you have the Bluray player going to the TV in one input and then the receiver in another? Does your receiver allow you to plug everything into that and then go directly to the TV? If so, make sure you are plugged into HDMI 1 on the TV. Does your receiver have ARC (Audio return capability)? I could understand seeing the black box once when it's switching to your home theatre, but not repeatedly. So when you turn the TV on and are watching cable/satellite, where does the audio come from?

Yes everything is piugged into the receiver and then it goes to the tv.
My receiver has a ARC output jack that is connected to the ARC input jack on the tv via HDMI cable.
When I turn on the tv the audio comes from the tv speakers but then it switches the audio to my audio system.
Then the audio starts switching back and fourth between the tv speakers and my audio system.
It's driving me nuts!
post #2984 of 3424
A few threads (with admittedly random Joes rather than experts) discussing color temps and how at first it's a bit of a struggle but eventually most prefer a warmer color temp:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=865340

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=670733

Some still keep it cold as well though.
post #2985 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

A few threads (with admittedly random Joes rather than experts) discussing color temps and how at first it's a bit of a struggle but eventually most prefer a warmer color temp:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=865340

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=670733

Some still keep it cold as well though.

Warm 2 looks good to my eyes.

Oh wait wrong owners thread.....
post #2986 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

At night while indoors I turn on incandescent bulbs. They are also warm.

In any case color temperature comes down to preference like most things, but 6500k should be your goal IF you're concerned about display accuracy (some aren't...whatever floats your boat). And short of getting your display calibrated (which I DON'T recommend for most people) warm 2 is the closest (reviewers that DO calibrate the TVs have been saying this with Sonys forever).

Personally I blame computer monitors and the fact that we do more and more content watching on them. I've owned quite a few laptops and all of them 'run cold' as far as the screen is concerned. Always bugs me until I get used to it, but then some people think it looks 'crisp'.

It just looks way off reality to me. When I look at something that is white outside on a sunny day it looks white to me not yellowish. I said a couple pages back when I did the cnet settings they had the color low and warm 2 on which made flesh tones look okay but everything else off. Neutral with 58 color seems to make flesh tones the same but takes the yellow tint out of everything. Just my opinion I just find it surprising so many on here like that setting. I know what "the experts" say it should look like but if that is 6500K then I'll pass. Maybe my sunglasses are shaded blue
post #2987 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

A few threads (with admittedly random Joes rather than experts) discussing color temps and how at first it's a bit of a struggle but eventually most prefer a warmer color temp:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=865340

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=670733

Some still keep it cold as well though.

Exactly what I was talking about. If you put effort into changing your comfort zone, you're better off. This applies to many things in life as well!

Here's a few shots I just took with my camera phone. Sorry for the quality







post #2988 of 3424
^^ I like the picture on there. It does't look yellow to me like it does on mine when I have on warm 2. I am running a modified standard setting. When the live color setting is on does that make the picture warmer? I am running that on low so that might be making it warmer already.
post #2989 of 3424
Any more news on the most recent update of yesterday (it was mentioned on the previous page)? I haven't installed the update yet and was hoping to read some more about it to make sure there weren't any bugs. Just got the 60NX720 a couple of days prior, so I haven't really had much of a chance to evaluate it closely. But the picture has been pretty impressive even without any adjustments. I'm sure I will get to tweaking it pretty soon.

- da Choge
post #2990 of 3424
Just got a KDL55NX720 open box, from Best Buy.
It is missing the HDMI to Component Adapter
and I can not find the Part Number to order one.

Can you help?



Bill
post #2991 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShOcKwAvE85 View Post

Exactly what I was talking about. If you put effort into changing your comfort zone, you're better off. This applies to many things in life as well!

Here's a few shots I just took with my camera phone.

Everybody's monitor is going to be calibrated differently, so what looks yellowish on one person's computer screen is going to look blueish on another person's computer. Even if we were all using calibrated monitors, chances are your camera isn't calibrated either, so there is basically no chance that the pictures are accurate color representations to begin with.

It is kind of like those advertisements in the early days of HDTV - standard-def commercials for HDTV sets purporting to show how great an HDTV image was.
post #2992 of 3424
The audio from my kdl60nx720 plays thru my av receiver/surround speakers except when I access programming via the internet. Does anyone know how to make internet tv audio play thru my receiver/surround speakers instead of the tv speakers?
Thank you
post #2993 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by royp4 View Post

The audio from my kdl60nx720 plays thru my av receiver/surround speakers except when I access programming via the internet. Does anyone know how to make internet tv audio play thru my receiver/surround speakers instead of the tv speakers?
Thank you

Yes, unless you have a AVR with HDMI 4.1 that has ARC then you can only do so by using an optical cable connect from your NX720 to you AVR. You can connect it to your AUX or CD or one available on your AVR. I use the CD optical port on my AVR. I hope this helps.
post #2994 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrigsby View Post

Just got a KDL55NX720 open box, from Best Buy.
It is missing the HDMI to Component Adapter
and I can not find the Part Number to order one.
Can you help?
Bill

Bill, I've had no luck tracking down a part number, but be aware its not really an HDMI to Component adapter. The adapter has a proprietary connection to the television, not HDMI. The part is listed as:
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) (Adaptor/Bottom/Hybrid)

Recheck your packaging, I had trouble finding the stand screws ... they were hidden within the styrofoam.

Chris
post #2995 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShOcKwAvE85 View Post

Exactly what I was talking about. If you put effort into changing your comfort zone, you're better off. This applies to many things in life as well!

Here's a few shots I just took with my camera phone. Sorry for the quality








Posting pix without settings doesnt really help us much. Can you post your settings so some can them out if they want?
post #2996 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenken View Post

Posting pix without settings doesnt really help us much. Can you post your settings so some can them out if they want?

Sorry, I was just pointing out the accuracy of Warm2. Here:

--Picture Adjustments menu--
Setting Memory: [any]
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 3
Picture: 95
Brightness: 50
Color: 60
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: 20
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot noise reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Off

-Advanced Settings submenu-
Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: 0
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance: [see below]
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]
i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]

-White Balance submenu-
R-Gain: -2
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain: -3
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

--Screen menu--
Setting Memory: [any]
Wide Mode: Full
Auto Wide: Off
4:3 Default: Off [grayed out]
Auto Display Area: Off
Display Area: Full Pixel
Screen Position: [grayed out]
Vertical Size: 0 [grayed out]

--Pro Picture Setup menu--
[all settings default/Auto]

--Home Menu>Settings>Preferences--

--Scene Select menu--
General

--Eco menu--
Power Saving: Off
Light Sensor: Off
post #2997 of 3424
If I wanted to stream content in 1080p from internet,for free ,to see how it looks on my set, can someone suggest where to do it from thru wifi and apps available on set.
Also what online stuff are owners using most, and why?
Thanks
post #2998 of 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShOcKwAvE85 View Post

Sorry, I was just pointing out the accuracy of Warm2. Here:

--Picture Adjustments menu--
Setting Memory: [any]
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 3
Picture: 95
Brightness: 50
Color: 60
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: 20
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot noise reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Off

-Advanced Settings submenu-
Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: 0
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance: [see below]
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]
i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]

-White Balance submenu-
R-Gain: -2
G -Gain: -1
B-Gain: -3
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

--Screen menu--
Setting Memory: [any]
Wide Mode: Full
Auto Wide: Off
4:3 Default: Off [grayed out]
Auto Display Area: Off
Display Area: Full Pixel
Screen Position: [grayed out]
Vertical Size: 0 [grayed out]

--Pro Picture Setup menu--
[all settings default/Auto]

--Home Menu>Settings>Preferences--

--Scene Select menu--
General

--Eco menu--
Power Saving: Off
Light Sensor: Off

I pretty much have the same settings but my whites looked off. So I brought up a white image on the screen and played with the white balance settings. The white looked best with these numbers.
R-Gain: 0
G -Gain: -20
B-Gain: 0

Does this make sense?
post #2999 of 3424
Hey all,

I've been struggling with the picture settings of the NX720 for my PS3 since my purchase and thought that maybe someone in the AVS Forums might help me out.

Normally, I use Game mode. However, whenever I use Game mode the brightness reduces greatly.
Some games I play are pretty dark and sometimes it gets hard to see.

Occasionally the sun shines through the window(usually in the morning) and as the TV reflects this, I lose my ability to make out whats on the screen..

I've tried Vivid mode, but then the game seems to be moving extraordinarily fast.

Is there anyone who can help me out enjoy my TV and games with some custom settings?


Really thanks in advance!
post #3000 of 3424
Did you turn the light sensor off? Look for it under Eco.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720)