or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 105

post #3121 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalisayrm View Post

Has anyone noticed if their panel is bowed from left to right (not perfectly straight). The curve is noticeable when looking at the edge. The bottom of the tv is perfectly straight but the top looks like a V to me, overemphasized of course.

Hi I have the same issue. My screen goes brighter or darker, as if I have turned on the "energy saver" option and the it goes black for 1-2 second while I can here the sound is on. Then the picture is coming back again and a message is shown on the screen "energy saver off" . Did you have any solution about this?
post #3122 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemh0ser View Post

Hello everyone, been enjoying my TV, however, I have had an issue where the screen goes black for a second every once in a while during Cable TV viewing. I still get sound but lose picture for a second or two. I'm sure it's a handshake issue but can't tell if it's my Anthem receiver or the TV. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Hi I have the same issue. My screen goes brighter or darker, as if I have turned on the "energy saver" option and the it goes black for 1-2 second while I can here the sound is on. Then the picture is coming back again and a message is shown on the screen "energy saver off" . Did you have any solution about this?
post #3123 of 3425
I have my nx720 on the same nework as iPad (but tv is wired and iPad is wireless - on same subnet).... Can't get Sony media app to see tv.... Any ideas/suggestions?
post #3124 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbeagle View Post

I have my nx720 on the same nework as iPad (but tv is wired and iPad is wireless - on same subnet).... Can't get Sony media app to see tv.... Any ideas/suggestions?

Reboot of iPad resolved
post #3125 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisklid View Post

Hi I have the same issue. My screen goes brighter or darker, as if I have turned on the "energy saver" option and the it goes black for 1-2 second while I can here the sound is on. Then the picture is coming back again and a message is shown on the screen "energy saver off" . Did you have any solution about this?

We should start calling support. Its fishy that everyone has started seeing this problem a week or so after the update...
post #3126 of 3425
Do you think that making a hard reset or returning to factory settings would resolve the problem? I intend to try that.
post #3127 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr View Post

We should start calling support. Its fishy that everyone has started seeing this problem a week or so after the update...

Do you think that making a hard reset or returning to factory settings would resolve the problem? I intend to try that.
post #3128 of 3425
It must have been covered before, I did a search and didn't find a solution. My new KDL 60 NX720 looses internet conection with SSID not broadcasting and is OK with SSID on. Does anyone have a workaround or solution? I would prefer to have my SSID in stealth mode.
Sony support said this TV doesn't support stealth mode, but my BDP-S780 does.

TIA John
post #3129 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan00 View Post

Have you also tried disconnecting all inputs and outputs from the TV and seeing if the buzzing persists?

Have you tried a power conditioner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

You should pick up a true sine wave UPS (not simulated/stepped sine wave) and it should get rid of those buzzing issues.

I tried disconnecting all inputs and outputs, connecting to different outlets in the house and even bought an AVR, none of it worked. In the end I swapped it out for a Samsung D7000. The D7000 is overall a better TV but the NX720 kills it when it comes to uniformity and black levels and input lag response times.
post #3130 of 3425
I dont think the reboots are update related. Mine has done it a few times but none in the last few months.
post #3131 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDarnell View Post

It must have been covered before, I did a search and didn't find a solution. My new KDL 60 NX720 looses internet conection with SSID not broadcasting and is OK with SSID on. Does anyone have a workaround or solution? I would prefer to have my SSID in stealth mode.

Diabling SSID broadcast does not do anything of value, it only makes life harder for you. It doesn't actually hide anything, all it does is set a bit in the packets that essentially says "pretend you do not see me" - but anyone who knows how to ignore that bit can see your network just the same anyway.

So, basically it is a hassle for normal users and does not protect you against any bad guy who has spent more than 5 minutes at bad guy hacker school.
post #3132 of 3425
Hi all,

Read through some of the early posts on this thread and saw mention of strobing but no real explanation or solution. I occasionally see the picture flicker. It tends to happen in bursts over a few seconds. The first time I saw it occuring somewhat frequently I changed channels and did not see it occur for a long time so I figured it was the broadcast but I have never seen this effect with my previous TV and same source.

I disabled auto scene select but no change.

Is this a known problem and is there any setting to eliminate?

Thanks

BTW, my source is a MS media center. My last TV was only 720i native. I have my media center set to 1080p but perhaps this is not a good idea and I'll try 1080i. Media center may be doing some processing to convert and overtaxing the video processor. In fact as I write this, I recall that the early Vista based media center had strobing issues if the hard drive was not defragged nearly every day.
post #3133 of 3425
Uncharted 3 looks amazing on my 55nx720
LL
post #3134 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr View Post


Did you call support? What did they say?

Happened to me too.
post #3135 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth tha boss View Post


not sure about the 2nd question but i can say the 3d being awful is not true. It all depends on how good the 3d is of the movie/game/show. I watched rio in 3d via comcast on demand side by side viewing and it looked great. Transformers 3d looked good. Under the sea looked incredible on this tv. Then there's some that don't look good like africa safari, clash of the titans or priest

Hbo on demand. Has a really really stupid 3d movie called haunted house. But. The 3d is really good. At the end credits this little troll thing is right in front of you and keeps getting closer. Seriously you feel like you can touch it.
post #3136 of 3425
Sears currently has a used 55NX720 for 1199.00. They say I will still get the one year manufacturer warranty and 30 day return policy. What do you guys think? The panel is already set up and looks great.
post #3137 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

Sears currently has a used 55NX720 for 1199.00. They say I will still get the one year manufacturer warranty and 30 day return policy. What do you guys think? The panel is already set up and looks great.

You should jump on that set definitely. Awesome price for an awesome TV!
post #3138 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfugrip12 View Post

You should jump on that set definitely. Awesome price for an awesome TV!

Thats what I was thinking! I know the Stand is really crappy. Why did they make such a beautiful TV and hype up the amazing gorilla glass and put it on the cheapest stand ever?
post #3139 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

Thats what I was thinking! I know the Stand is really crappy. Why did they make such a beautiful TV and hype up the amazing gorilla glass and put it on the cheapest stand ever?

'Cause you should wall mount it.

Monoprice has some really nice mounts for less than $50.

And if you say 'I live in an apartment and can't wall mount' I'll say 'you shouldn't be buying TVs then...better to save up and buy a house'. Of course I'd just be joking.
post #3140 of 3425
Was there ever a solution for the 3D ghosting issues with this TV? I have the Sony glasses and I still get really bad ghosting when watching 3D content even when my head is perfectly straight.
post #3141 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

Was there ever a solution for the 3D ghosting issues with this TV? I have the Sony glasses and I still get really bad ghosting when watching 3D content even when my head is perfectly straight.

Same here. Haven't seen a fix.
post #3142 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

'Cause you should wall mount it.

Monoprice has some really nice mounts for less than $50.

And if you say 'I live in an apartment and can't wall mount' I'll say 'you shouldn't be buying TVs then...better to save up and buy a house'. Of course I'd just be joking.

Haha this is true. I will be moving in a house this august. Although i am need of a new tv stand. Any good stands that have the mounting option for this tv?
post #3143 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

Haha this is true. I will be moving in a house this august. Although i am need of a new tv stand. Any good stands that have the mounting option for this tv?

There are also some nice options out there for hiding cables etc that don't require you to be some sort of awesome handy man. Just need to be able to install dry wall screws and paint without losing an eye.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_717CMK3...ver-CMK30.html
post #3144 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Same here. Haven't seen a fix.

The only fix I heard for the ghosting was to call Sony and get them to send you filters for your 3D glasses. Apparently they make a world of difference. (I dont know why they dont bundle them with the glasses in the first place)

I do not have 3D glasses for my 55NX720 but I will jumping on the Monster Vision ones or BR750s soon
post #3145 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by krause28 View Post


Happened to me too.

It happened again today. Once within the first 5 minutes. Its quite annoying.
post #3146 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

Was there ever a solution for the 3D ghosting issues with this TV? I have the Sony glasses and I still get really bad ghosting when watching 3D content even when my head is perfectly straight.

Try this. Play a 3D Blu-Ray, find a scene with lots of ghosting, then Pause it. Then in Options, Scene Select, change to Game-Standard. Then in Options, Picture Adjustments, Advanced Settings, change i/p Conversion Preference to Speed. This worked well for me and you can then toggle between Scene Select options to see the difference.

In another post there was a link where Sony recommends in the Options, 3D Menu to change the Glasses Brigtness to Medium or Low. The polarizer filters Sony will send you are apparently only good for reducing ghosting during head tilts. I haven't ordered those yet, but probably will.
post #3147 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post

Try this. Play a 3D Blu-Ray, find a scene with lots of ghosting, then Pause it. Then in Options, Scene Select, change to Game-Standard. Then in Options, Picture Adjustments, Advanced Settings, change i/p Conversion Preference to Speed. This worked well for me and you can then toggle between Scene Select options to see the difference.

In another post there was a link where Sony recommends in the Options, 3D Menu to change the Glasses Brigtness to Medium or Low. The polarizer filters Sony will send you are apparently only good for reducing ghosting during head tilts. I haven't ordered those yet, but probably will.

Interesting. And certainly makes sense in theory. I just booted up Hugo 3D via my PS3 and tried the settings you suggested and it DOES seem to make a difference. I was getting cross talk on the dog that is unleashed on Hugo in the early chapters (most noticeable on the close-up of him after he skids around the corner) and there is less of it with your suggestions. I say 'less of it' because I still find the combination of rapid motion and 3D a bit distracting so I'm not sure if what I'm seeing now has more to do with that than crosstalk.

I'll have to try Gears of War 3 with similar settings to see how it looks (although I remember it already being better than movies).

I never did find a setting for glasses brightness however. I'm using the Sony 250/B's.
post #3148 of 3425
With a little more testing I definitely see some crosstalk still. When Hugo is following the man home and looks up at the statues you can see some ghosting along the edges of them as they pan.

But I'd still say your settings are a definite improvement so thanks for the advice.

Oh and I found the option for the glasses brightness. Odd that it shows up when you enter the menu via the options button and NOT when you enter through the main menu.
post #3149 of 3425
My TV just started rebooting today too. Never happened before. Wife was watching some DLNA videos.

I was already tracking an issue with Skype crashing the network side of the TV requiring reboot. Support had me to a factory reset (hold volume up and then hit power) just a few days ago, so that doesnt help the situation.

Curious is anyone was using the network features when their TV rebooted?
post #3150 of 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan00 View Post

My TV just started rebooting today too. Never happened before. Wife was watching some DLNA videos.

I was already tracking an issue with Skype crashing the network side of the TV requiring reboot. Support had me to a factory reset (hold volume up and then hit power) just a few days ago, so that doesnt help the situation.

Curious is anyone was using the network features when their TV rebooted?

I wonder if sony is doing something on their end. For now I turned off auto update. I will report if it happens again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720)