or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 54

post #1591 of 2142
I think if I set it to display decoder..its gonna keep moving between the 2 to show the complete decoder being used.
post #1592 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamplighter View Post

I think if I set it to display decoder..its gonna keep moving between the 2 to show the complete decoder being used.
I dont think there's anything wrong with it. Something in your settings isn't right. That may be the receiver, cable box, bdp or whatever else you are using. Keep playing with the settings and if you get frustrated call Yamaha.
post #1593 of 2142
I believe its ok..its just that if you set it to display decoder it has to switch between the 2 in order to show the complete line....would anyone know why when I set video processing to on theres no other settings to make. The manual list all kinds of parameters..yet nothing shows on mine.
post #1594 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamplighter View Post

I believe its ok..its just that if you set it to display decoder it has to switch between the 2 in order to show the complete line....would anyone know why when I set video processing to on theres no other settings to make. The manual list all kinds of parameters..yet nothing shows on mine.
It should give you the choice of aspect. Depending on the source there may be no other options. It only upconverts 480i and 480p. Maybe 720i but what is in 720i? If the source is 720p or higher it will not upconvert so there will be no options shown. I dont even use it. btw I just put my cable box on a 2.0 music channel and put the 673 in Surround Decode mode and it does the same thing. It is normal for sure. It displays PLII for a few seconds and then Dolby Digital for a few seconds. I have never used this combination before. I usually leave the display in the input mode.
Edited by Bond 007 - 12/6/12 at 5:23am
post #1595 of 2142
007 thanks..im sure thats why I have no video options..Im on cable so most of my programs are probably 720. I bought this to replace my trusty Pioneer vsx-1018 which works great but no network or 3D pass thru and got it on Amazon for 250.00!! Black Friday. Takes some getting use to as not all these things are in the manual. I do notice tho that the TV picture is better even if its not upscaling anything..I believe it passes the video thru better than the Pioneer..any advantage to leaving the video processing turned off??
post #1596 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamplighter View Post

007 thanks..im sure thats why I have no video options..Im on cable so most of my programs are probably 720. I bought this to replace my trusty Pioneer vsx-1018 which works great but no network or 3D pass thru and got it on Amazon for 250.00!! Black Friday. Takes some getting use to as not all these things are in the manual. I do notice tho that the TV picture is better even if its not upscaling anything..I believe it passes the video thru better than the Pioneer..any advantage to leaving the video processing turned off??
My tv does a better job and that just adds to the complexity of the signal transfer for no good reason.
post #1597 of 2142
It's a good combination this receiver with Emotiva UPA 500?
post #1598 of 2142
Anybody having issues with the RX-V671 and folder depth on DLNA? I find that consistently, regardless of what kind of music file, it becomes impossible to navigate all the way down to where I want to be. Instead, I get stuck at I think 4 or 5 levels down, at which point the list of folders are there, but greyed out. This is using foobar2000's media server. Anybody else experience this? Anybody have recommendations for a different media server? Is this a known issue that I need to update my firmware for?
post #1599 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilditup1 View Post

Anybody having issues with the RX-V671 and folder depth on DLNA? I find that consistently, regardless of what kind of music file, it becomes impossible to navigate all the way down to where I want to be. Instead, I get stuck at I think 4 or 5 levels down, at which point the list of folders are there, but greyed out. This is using foobar2000's media server. Anybody else experience this? Anybody have recommendations for a different media server? Is this a known issue that I need to update my firmware for?

I was able to use XBMC for this but I don't think I have my music organized into as deep subdirectories as you.
post #1600 of 2142
Hello all,

This is my first post, although I've read much of this thread over the past couple weeks and have to thank you all for the information I've gleened. I picked this receiver up through Amazon's Black Friday deal of the day for $299.

My issue is with playing networked music off my desktop PC. I've searched and read through this thread, but no solutions I saw fixed my issue.

My home network setup is typical, with a basic netgear wifi router which has my desktop PC and a netgear 5 port switch connected via cables. The switch is at my entertainment center and has the AVR, xbox, TV and Bluray attached.

My PC is home-built, running Win7 Home Premium, and it does have two hard drives. One is a 64gig SSD with the OS and programs, the other is a 320gig standard HDD with the typical music and pictures stored on it. The music locations on the 2nd drive are included in the PC's Music Library.

My laptop is an HP with Win8 Pro, with a single 750gig HDD. It began life as a Win7 home premium machine also, but I "upgraded" to Win8 Pro for $15 in late Oct.

I can see my desktop PC from the AVR, but when i navigate into the Music folder, it says "No Content." Interestingly enough, if I go to the "My Playlists" folder, it will play the one playlist I have on the desktop PC. I cabled my laptop (not my desktop PC) into the router, and the AVR sees its music and plays it just fine.

Here's what I've tried, all to no avail:
  • I disabled homegroup. (then re-enabled)
  • I've triple-checked sharing permissions and options on WMP settings menus, including noting the AVR is specifically allowed streaming access to network media.
  • I tried moving a folder of music to the SSD under the My Music and Public Music folders.
  • Even though it's cabled, I added the AVR to the MAC filter on the router.
  • I disabled MAC filtering altogether on the router. (then re-enabled)

Other items which may or may not be relevant:
  • My xbox sees both my PC and my laptop's (when cabled) music.
  • Neither my AVR nor my xbox can see my laptop when it's on wifi.(this is where I tried the MAC filtering on/of above)
  • My PC and laptop (cabled or wifi) both see the AVR, and can access its "home page."

Any suggestions are appreciated. I know I have several options for playing music through this AVR, such as playing from my laptop, or from my desktop via the xbox, or, apparently, creating playlists on the desktop, or even loading my music files directly onto my xbox, but just for principle of it all, I would like this AVR to be able to see my desktop's music. Hopefully I'm missing something simple and obvious.

Thanks in advance!
post #1601 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsianMan View Post

I was able to use XBMC for this but I don't think I have my music organized into as deep subdirectories as you.

You mean, as a server? I didn't know XBMC could do that. I'll look into it; thanks. In the meantime I'm trying Universal Media Server.
post #1602 of 2142
Have no problems connecting to twonky server on the nas, pretty simple.

As to the person asking if you can watch one input, whilst listening to another. Don't think you can :-( at least with main zone.

For example I might want to listen to squeezebox off AV1, but using the HDMI2 switching using the computer with optical input from the computer. So I'd have to go into menu, then change audio input from optical 1 to optical 2, and back again when I've finished.

It's a shame the video inputs aren't assignable or be routed/used again for other inputs, that way I could use a spare input "HTPC with squeezbox audio"
post #1603 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

Have no problems connecting to twonky server on the nas, pretty simple.
As to the person asking if you can watch one input, whilst listening to another. Don't think you can :-( at least with main zone.
For example I might want to listen to squeezebox off AV1, but using the HDMI2 switching using the computer with optical input from the computer. So I'd have to go into menu, then change audio input from optical 1 to optical 2, and back again when I've finished.
It's a shame the video inputs aren't assignable or be routed/used again for other inputs, that way I could use a spare input "HTPC with squeezbox audio"
The HDMI are assignable. You can listen to HDMI 1 while watching HDMI 2. I listen to Pandora all the time while watching cable tv.
post #1604 of 2142
What firmware does everyone have? Newest I see on their site is 1.18 but I have 1.21
post #1605 of 2142
Mine came with 1.21..but I dont see it listed for anyone to do an update
post #1606 of 2142
I have 1.19 (yes, NOT 1.18) Bought it in June. Called Yamaha about that 1.21 and they said it was unnecessary. Thats why you can't download it from the site. Sounds like its part of the automatic download if you get one now but you can't do it separate.
post #1607 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The HDMI are assignable. You can listen to HDMI 1 while watching HDMI 2. I listen to Pandora all the time while watching cable tv.

what about when using hdmi for video, and the upnp input streaming from NAS (PC)?

I have 1.18 too (UK)

How do you set up multiple video/audio?

HDMI 2 for video, optical 2 for audio (HTPC video + audio)
HDMI 2 for video, optical 1 for audio (HTPC video + squeezebox audio)
HDMI 2 for video, streaming off nas with Yamaha's own twonky feature.
post #1608 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

what about when using hdmi for video, and the upnp input streaming from NAS (PC)?
I have 1.18 too (UK)
How do you set up multiple video/audio?
HDMI 2 for video, optical 2 for audio (HTPC video + audio)
HDMI 2 for video, optical 1 for audio (HTPC video + squeezebox audio)
HDMI 2 for video, streaming off nas with Yamaha's own twonky feature.
I dont know. I dont use my pc with the 671. But if you really want to know then read this thread from the beginning in your spare time. Good bet your answer is in here.
post #1609 of 2142
I just setup my new RX-V671 in my home theater room and I have a problem streaming from a Roku 2 XS to my Infocus SP7200 DLP projector. Connecting the Roku directly to the projector works perfectly. When connected to HDMI3, the Ruku startup screen is shown at 480p, but when the Roku switches to 720p, the screen is black, the projector indicates 720p, and sound works. Moving the Roku to any other HDMI port works the same; I also tried 3 different HDMI cables without success. The RX-V671 on screen menus don't work when the Roku is selected, though it works fine with my other devices. All HDMI devices connected to the RX-V671 are set to 720p.

If I go to the Information screen for the RX-V671, the Video Signal screen shows HDCP error, even when a working HDMI source is selected, such as my DVD or DVR.

The projector is connected to the HDMI output of the RX-V671 via a HDMI to DVI converter cable. SP7200 firmware is the latest v4.0. The specs for the projector say it is compatible with HDCP.

The other equipment connected to the RX-V671 work perfectly. I have a DirecTV HR-21 DVR connected to HDMI2 and a Oppo OPDV971H DVD player connected to HDMI1 with a DVI to HDMI converter cable with audio via SPDIF optical to AV1.

Any idea on how to make the Roku work?
post #1610 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The HDMI are assignable. You can listen to HDMI 1 while watching HDMI 2. I listen to Pandora all the time while watching cable tv.

I'm sorry, but I missed how this is possible? I'm making a comprehensive list of pros and cons (vs keeping last year's RC-360, which shockingly enough has an edge in some areas) so I'd like to try this.
post #1611 of 2142
If you mean how do you watch one HDMI source while listening to another HDMI source, then you can't. Look in the manual under Input Menu for what you can do.
post #1612 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

If you mean how do you watch one HDMI source while listening to another HDMI source, then you can't. Look in the manual under Input Menu for what you can do.
You are correct. My mistake. You can assign Audio In for each HDMI but you cannot make it another HDMI. Only AV1-6 or Audio 1or2.
post #1613 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

You are correct. My mistake. You can assign Audio In for each HDMI but you cannot make it another HDMI. Only AV1-6 or Audio 1or2.

Great, that is more consistent with what I understand to be possible.
post #1614 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilditup1 View Post

Great, that is more consistent with what I understand to be possible.
You can assign HDMI 1-5, AV 1-6 and V-AUX to any of the built in music apps though. That is how I am able to listen to Pandora and watch cable tv.
post #1615 of 2142
A few pages back there was discussion of the problem some people are having receiving Sirius over the net. I want to post an update that was in a different thread on this site.
Quote:
I got a RVX671 cause it had the built in SiriusXM Radio Streaming. I was hugely disappointed when I got it to find out that this is no longer working. I called up yamaha, they said they are working on a fix and it should be out in a couple of weeks.

Well When Monday came (today) i got a call from a yamaha Tech, with a link to a FTP site to download a new firmware along with instructions on how to install. I installed the latest firmware, and now my RVX671 is version 1.36. i'm very happy to report that Sirius XM internet Streaming with my account IS working!

Looks like you guys can get firmware's from this server for other yamaha receivers as well

ftp://216.154.248.26

User name: yecrecvr
Password: Yamaha1
I did this update and initially it didn't fix the issue I was having. Then I did a complete reset of my unit following the instructions on how to do so in the manual, and after that was able to log into Sirius.
post #1616 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike789 View Post

A few pages back there was discussion of the problem some people are having receiving Sirius over the net. I want to post an update that was in a different thread on this site. I did this update and initially it didn't fix the issue I was having. Then I did a complete reset of my unit following the instructions on how to do so in the manual, and after that was able to log into Sirius.
How long have you had Sirius working properly? Have you had any issues with Pandora?
post #1617 of 2142
Dear All,

I am new to this forum, I got so much good knowledge after going through this forum.. thanks to each & everyone for there valuable inputs smile.gif.
I recently Yamaha RX V673 from New Egg & I am new to this receiver technology, kindly request your help in setting my home theater. I am looking to buy some nice speakers, but I am unable to decide which one is good. My living room is about 15'X13' area & I have Samsung UN46D7000 HDTV. My range for buying the speakers would be around $300, kindly request everyone in helping to buy & setting up a nice home theater smile.gif. Thanks a lot in advance..

Regards,
Deepak
post #1618 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeps1081 View Post

Dear All,
I am new to this forum, I got so much good knowledge after going through this forum.. thanks to each & everyone for there valuable inputs smile.gif.
I recently Yamaha RX V673 from New Egg & I am new to this receiver technology, kindly request your help in setting my home theater. I am looking to buy some nice speakers, but I am unable to decide which one is good. My living room is about 15'X13' area & I have Samsung UN46D7000 HDTV. My range for buying the speakers would be around $300, kindly request everyone in helping to buy & setting up a nice home theater smile.gif. Thanks a lot in advance..
Regards,
Deepak
You would be better served by posting that in the "Speakers" forum.
post #1619 of 2142
Thanks Bond smile.gif.. will post it there.
post #1620 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

How long have you had Sirius working properly? Have you had any issues with Pandora?
Its been working properly for 2 days now. Occasionally Pandora drops out on me, but I can easily remedy that by changing to a Pandora channel I have and then back. I never had a permanent lockout on Pandora the way I did with Sirius. And the Pandora issue is relatively rare; perhaps once a week or less.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR