or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 57

post #1681 of 2142
Sub settings still the same. I haven't noticed any other settings that appear to have been defaulted back - although I am sure that there is a good possibility that some were.

I will try to adjust the gain on my sub/receiver settings as you have suggested. Thanks.
post #1682 of 2142
c`mon someone plz help me getting sound through ARC from my Sharp Aquos to V671? It worked for a while , not working anymore.
post #1683 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp0z3d View Post

c`mon someone plz help me getting sound through ARC from my Sharp Aquos to V671? It worked for a while , not working anymore.
I dont use ARC because its too much trouble and I dont need it. Sorry. Maybe try a Sharp Aquos thread.
post #1684 of 2142
He should just run an optical cable from the Sharp TV to the receiver for when he wants to use the SMART features on the TV.

A lot less issues than using ARC.
post #1685 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

He should just run an optical cable from the Sharp TV to the receiver for when he wants to use the SMART features on the TV.
A lot less issues than using ARC.
+1
post #1686 of 2142
Still trying to figure out why I can not listen to music cd in 7 Ch Stereo..when I try to choose this it states unavaliable. Im using a PS3 and it outputs PCM 2.0(2/0/---)..Sampling 176.4..any adjusts I need to make..all I get is the 2 fronts and sub. I would like to play them also thru the rears. Is it because im only using a 5.1 system? How would I get sound thru all 5 speakers?Thanks
post #1687 of 2142
Before update, I've had 1.18 (EU) . I've tried to play wav DTS file over USB and got only noise. Today, receiver offer me upgrade. Now DTS file plays as it should.

Test file was: dts_diatonis_secret-universe.wav

Audio
ID : 0
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Muxing mode : LE / 14
Codec ID : 1
Duration : 6mn 47s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 411.2 Kbps
Channel(s) : 5 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 68.6 MiB (100%)

http://www.diatonis.com/surround_sound_music.html

But receiver say in info wrong channels:


(I don't have center yet)


Fortunately, as I sad, it plays at all channels as it should. Over DLNA (Twonky) too smile.gif

FLAC multichannel still doesn't work frown.gif
post #1688 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

You can assign HDMI 1-5, AV 1-6 and V-AUX to any of the built in music apps though. That is how I am able to listen to Pandora and watch cable tv.

OK, I'm not sure how to do this...
post #1689 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilditup1 View Post

OK, I'm not sure how to do this...
Menu>Input>Pandora>Video Out
HDMI2 is my cable tv source.
post #1690 of 2142
I can't get it to work either. Internet radio input, but wanting to view HDMI 2. Set video out to HDMI 2 but Yamaha's net radio menu stays on the screen.

Video out isn't selectable on all inputs either, not on av1-6. For AV 1 input, cannot use HDMI 2 for video, whilst using AV1 (coaxial) for audio.

Any chance you could post a video on youtube?
post #1691 of 2142
Quote:
I can't get it to work either. Internet radio input, but wanting to view HDMI 2. Set video out to HDMI 2 but Yamaha's net radio menu stays on the screen.

On the right side of the screen, there should be a column of icons, one of them is an X, for screen off.
Use the remote to navigate there and hit Enter. That will hide the screen that's covering the HDMI video.
post #1692 of 2142
Thanks to everyone here for pointing out the firmware update availability.

My Sirius internet radio trial timed out today. When i tried to login with my real credentials, it wasn't working. After the firmware update to 1.39, the real account login is working for the first time since i got the receiver a month or so back.
post #1693 of 2142
I got the listen to internet radio whilst viewing HDMI 2 HTPC at the same time. cheers

But I cannot listen to squeezebox (AV1) whilst using video out HDMI 2 HTPC at the same time.
post #1694 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

I got the listen to internet radio whilst viewing HDMI 2 HTPC at the same time. cheers
But I cannot listen to squeezebox (AV1) whilst using video out HDMI 2 HTPC at the same time.

I see one way to do it, but it's kind of lame.
1) On-screen button on remote
2) Input from menu
3) Go to HDMI2 HTPC
4) press Up to get the menu
5) toggle "Audio In" to AV1

It would be annoying to go through that everytime you want that config, since i'm guessing you normally want audio from HDMI2, but it should work.
post #1695 of 2142
I am having ARC woes with a Yamaha RX V671 receiver (firmware version 1.39) connected to a Panasonic TX-P42G20B Viera TV. Since the TV has good hard disk recording features it would be nice to have the sound come back from the TV in as many channels as possible, not just 2.0.

I have heard that there are problems with syncing the ARC in this setup. My problems seem to have changed with time.

Initially the TV offered to use its remote control volume setting to control the Yamaha receiver. It also turned the receiver on and off with the TV. Unfortunately this utopia was brief lived and was followed (without altering any settings) with a state of mute tv and mute receiver where the only way of getting sound again was to pull the hdmi plug out of the back.

Beset with these problems I bought a fibre optic cable to connect TV to receiver. This is less problematic but I am not convinced I get anything more than 2.0 stereo back from the tv. I press the "straight" button and look at the icons of the loudspeakers to check this. Incidentally the tv's sound menu is set to "V-audio surround" (whatever this means).

By comparison, when I connect the Yamaha to a Virgin V+ box I get 5.1 when I press Straight on the Yamaha according to the little speaker icons and also when I get the Yamaha menu on the TV and select Information which shows clearly that the sound is 5.1.

So the main questions are

1 Has anybody succeeded in getting a stable ARC setup between Yamaha RX V671 receiver and Panasonic Viera TV?
2 Does ARC allow better than 2.0 sound?
3 Does fibre optic allow better than 2.0 sound?

thanks in anticipation
post #1696 of 2142
ARC is more of a novelty than anything imo. If it was easily set up and worked perfectly all the time I would use it. Unfortunately that has not beeen the case for me and I am pretty well adjuusted at setting up electronics (despite my speliing may lead you to believe, I am on a tablet and in a hurry). I personally have no use for it and am not missing out on anything the way that I have mine set up. So...
1) No. Tried it briefly with a 60 ST50 and would not wrk consistently
2)Yes if you can get it to work
3)Depends. FO will provide 5.1 for anything tat is internal to your tv (this depends on the tv. I know it for a fact for you because I have a Pan Viera. btw What country do you live in?) So all the internal apps Netflix Amazon prime, etc will give you 5.1. ANYTHING EXTERNAL will not provide 5.1 (cable box, bdp, ps3 etc) because your tv will not support it. Some will but not yours. Dont feel picked on. The vastmajority of newer tvs will not.
I have mine set upthis way and am missing out on nothing. I feed all external componenents to the receiver via hdmi and get 5.1. I feed the tv to the receiver via digi op and get 5.1. Works perfectly every time and you dont have to go bacak and forth between receiver and tv and back changing settings back and forth trying to get the arc to work all the time. In fact you dont have to change ANY settings in either.
Just noticed you have a 2010 tv. Itspossible that you may get 5.1 from external sources.Please let us know if you do.
Edited by Bond 007 - 1/9/13 at 8:14am
post #1697 of 2142
thanks Bond 007. Despite what you say it does not seem that I am getting 5.1 back from the Viera tv via fibre optic. The loudspeaker icons on the Yamaha suggest just 2.0 and of course I can't display the Information on the tv at the same time which shows detailed information about the sound because the tv is being used as a source. How do you find out exactly what sound the Yamaha is receiving when it is playing tv sound, please?
post #1698 of 2142
Yes. You will not be able to access the GUI. Hit the DSP Straight button on remote and that will tell you what the unprocessed signal is. Are you sure the source is 5.1?
post #1699 of 2142
I believe BBC HD is 5.1. It is when I get it though the Virgin V+ box but not when I get it through the fibre optic cable from the tv.
post #1700 of 2142
It would be very unusual but I can only assume that your tv does not support 5.1. Try other channels to be sure.
post #1701 of 2142
in the Sound menu item on the tv I have SPDIF with a setting of either PCM or Auto
in the Sound menu item on the tv I have Off, V-audio or V-audio surrond
the latter suggest the tv is capable of surround sound however there are no analogue connections on the back for rear speakers

In the manual it says that the Digital Audio out is PCM/ Dolby Digital

In my understanding all digital audio signals are PCM so this conveys no information. I do not know whether there is a Dolby Digital control on the stream.
post #1702 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeldodd View Post

in the Sound menu item on the tv I have SPDIF with a setting of either PCM or Auto
in the Sound menu item on the tv I have Off, V-audio or V-audio surrond
the latter suggest the tv is capable of surround sound however there are no analogue connections on the back for rear speakers
In the manual it says that the Digital Audio out is PCM/ Dolby Digital
In my understanding all digital audio signals are PCM so this conveys no information. I do not know whether there is a Dolby Digital control on the stream.
SPDIF is a digital coax cable and has nothing to do with the digi op.
So v audio is a way to connect external speakers to the tv?
pcm or dd is another subject and is not the problem but set it to dd if you can
Keep in mind that dd is not necessarily 5.1. It can be 2.0, 2.1, etc.
With the options that you describe I would be even more surprised if you could not get 5.1 out of the tv.
You are not confusing a digital coax cable with a digital optical cable are you?
post #1703 of 2142
I always like to be proved wrong.

I had casually thought spdif was the standard by which audio was put onto fibre optic for communication between tv's and cinema sound systems as described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF Is this not true?

The wikipedia article suggests that it will only support two channels uncompressed but that it will support Dolby and DTS compressed. Do we know if this is a lossy compression?
post #1704 of 2142
Thats above my pay grade and is irrelevant to the topic. You don't have to be an engineer to hook the tv to the receiver and get 5.1. Are you using a digi op cable or a digi coax cable?
post #1705 of 2142
digi op cable or a digi coax cable - sorry I don't know the difference.

It's this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-DIGITAL-FIBRE-OPTIC-CABLE-TOSLINK-STEREO-LEAD-BLACK-/280821440716?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:1120
post #1706 of 2142
Thats a digital optical cable. With such a comprehensive audio menu I think its unlikely that you cannot get 5.1 out of the digital optical port for over the air broadcasts. Do you have Viera apps? ie Netflix
I think it is most likely something in the tv settings. Find something that you know for sure is 5.1 like an internal Netflix movie or OTA broadcast and play with the tv settings. Start by changing to vaudio instead of v audio surround.
Edited by Bond 007 - 1/9/13 at 10:39am
post #1707 of 2142
No, not Netflix. Now I have brought an ethernet cable down to the Yamaha receiver I could connect it to a router to allow the TV access to the Internet. There isn't normally much point because I use the Virgin V+ box to get past programmes.

However I have made a discovery since the last post. It is to do with Viera Link and since I don't have another Panasonic device I thought Viera Link was irrelevant to my needs. Selecting the Viera Link button I am able to switch the sound to the tv's loundspeakers or to the Yamaha's loundspeakers. When I do the latter the volume control on the tv remote controls the sound through the Yamaha's loundpeakers and turning the tv on and off turns the Yamaha on and off. And the ARC appears to work under this setting too and I can dispense with the fibre optic cable. But still no discrete 5 channel sound. Just Dolby encoded.
post #1708 of 2142
Just to confirm the second paragraph of the post above. This ARC setup between the Yamaha fx v671 and Panasonic Viera tv does seem stable. The sound system comes on when the tv is turned on and responds to the volume controls on the tv remote. This setup seems not to suffer from the mute tv and mute receiver problems reported at the top of the thread.


It certainly makes life easier for guests who don't understand the complexity of a system that needs mastery of two or three remote controls. They just turn the tv on and the sound comes on a few seconds later. Neither is there need for the fibre optic cable.
post #1709 of 2142
Glad you found a satisfactory solution.
post #1710 of 2142
Anyone ever experience any issues with the RX-V671 overheating? A google search didn't turn up anything.

I've had mine installed for a week now. It's been problem free, until tonight when watching a fairly intense Blu-Ray movie (Star Trek). Running the volume at about -4, the receiver kept turning itself off. My suspicion is that it's probably the thermal protection circuitry. If I turned it back on and kept the movie going, it'd do it again after not too long.
So each time it did it, I gave it about a 5 minute break. This seemed to help, but I still encountered the problem 5 or 6 times during the course of 2 hours.
The top of the receiver felt pretty hot, but not alarmingly so.

Here's what gets me: I'm only running 3 speakers, this thing handles up to 7, so I'm nowhere near maxed out on the power front. It's in a cabinet, and granted only has about 4 inches of clearance above it. However, I have two 80mm fans blowing in to the cabinet behind the receiver. Seeing as how most cabinets don't have active cooling, I'm pretty surprised that I'm having issues.

Any thoughts? I'm going to test it for possible wiring issues tomorrow, but I'd be surprised if that turns out to be it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR