or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 14

post #391 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
By problems I mean when set at 1080i or 720p there are tiny little white spots/flecks that flicker on and off all over the screen when viewing the players menus or watching a movie (BD or DVD). This only goes away when the setting is dropped to 480p.
That's a pretty typical description of a bad HDMI cable. Replace both the cable from the player AND the cable from AVR to TV, one of them will likely fix this.
post #392 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

That's a pretty typical description of a bad HDMI cable. Replace both the cable from the player AND the cable from AVR to TV, one of them will likely fix this.

...and that solved everything. I tried the various cheap $4 HDMI's (which I thought were fine and do work fine with my XBOX) that I had lying around and had the same problem so ended up buying a couple at retail (ouch! $28 each), but they did the trick. No spots/specks, and the BD's work at 1080p now. I ended up buying cables from Monster since they were only $2 more than the generic ones from GE and Vizio.


Thanks rdgrimes!
post #393 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

...and that solved everything. I tried the various cheap $4 HDMI's (which I thought were fine and do work fine with my XBOX) that I had lying around and had the same problem so ended up buying a couple at retail (ouch! $28 each), but they did the trick. No spots/specks, and the BD's work at 1080p now. I ended up buying cables from Monster since they were only $2 more than the generic ones from GE and Vizio.


Thanks rdgrimes!

Any HDMI cable rated "High Speed" should do the job. That said, the price on the cable doesn't seen to be a reliable predictor of when or if it might fail. The various cables from Monoprice seem to work as well as any. I keep a few spares around just in case.
post #394 of 2142
Ok, read this entire thread and did not see my question answered.

I have a Samsung Smart TV and the 671 receiver. I have not set up the 671 to the net yet but I have the TV hooked up to the net running just a straight HDMI to the TV from the receiver.

Sound is find while watching Direct TV but I cannot for some reason figure out the settings to change to get Pandora off the TV to play through the reciever. Suggestions?
post #395 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMatt View Post

Ok, read this entire thread and did not see my question answered.

I have a Samsung Smart TV and the 671 receiver. I have not set up the 671 to the net yet but I have the TV hooked up to the net running just a straight HDMI to the TV from the receiver.

Sound is find while watching Direct TV but I cannot for some reason figure out the settings to change to get Pandora off the TV to play through the reciever. Suggestions?


Do you have an audio cable running from the TV to the receiver? You need a way to get the sound from the TV to the receiver.
post #396 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Do you have an audio cable running from the TV to the receiver? You need a way to get the sound from the TV to the receiver.



Will it not run through the HDMI cable?
post #397 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMatt View Post

Will it not run through the HDMI cable?

Hi BamaMatt, yes it will if your Samsung Smart TV model supports ARC (which should be HDMI-2 input).

If your Tv has ARC, turn On AnyNet+, Receiver (under AnyNet+ menu) and ARC (sometimes found under Audio/Sound menu).

On the V671 turn on HDMI Control and ARC.

Now if your Samsung Smart TV doesn't support ARC then run an optical cable from tv "Digital Audio Out" to receiver.
post #398 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMatt View Post

Will it not run through the HDMI cable?

As JChin says, only if it supports ARC. I only know one person with a Smart TV and his doesn't support ARC, but some may.
post #399 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi BamaMatt, yes it will if your Samsung Smart TV model supports ARC (which should be HDMI-2 input).

If your Tv has ARC, turn On AnyNet+, Receiver (under AnyNet+ menu) and ARC (sometimes found under Audio/Sound menu).

On the V671 turn on HDMI Control and ARC.

Now if your Samsung Smart TV doesn't support ARC then run an optical cable from tv "Digital Audio Out" to receiver.

Ok thanks! I don't think it has ARC. So I will buy the digital optical cable and run it. However, what input on my receiver will I need to be on for it to work?
post #400 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasAUtiger View Post

I just opened my rx-v671 tonight and connected directv to my vizio with all hdmi no problem. However, when I tried connecting the playstation 3 via hdmi to the receiver, when i switch the receiver to that hdmi port (hdmi 2), i get nothing---no sound, no picture.

If I hook the ps3 directly to the vizio via hdmi, it works fine (picture and sound).

I notice that when the directv is running (wonderfully), the red "hdmi out" light on the front of the receiver stays lit solidly. However, when I switch to hdmi 2 for the ps3, the red "hdmi out" light blinks intermittently.

The I have tried 2 or 3 different hdmi cables, so it's not that. I have tried messing with the ps3 settings, but they are all on hdmi (video and sound), and I have tried all the hdmi inputs on the receiver (hdmi 2 - hdmi 5 plus the one on the front of the receiver), all with no luck.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated...

Did you solve your problem with the PS3 HDMI connection? I am interested because I am planning to get an RX-V671 and connecting my PS3 with HDMI also.
post #401 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMatt View Post

Ok thanks! I don't think it has ARC. So I will buy the digital optical cable and run it. However, what input on my receiver will I need to be on for it to work?

The manual has you connect it to AV4 (although you can connect it elsewhere if you wanted, it's just that AV4 is already tied to the TV scene button without having to change the assignment).

It's page 24 of the manual [Connection method 3].
post #402 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahara View Post

Is there an android app for the 671 like the iphone app?

Supposed to be coming in October...
http://www.whathifi.com/news/yamaha-...and-bd-players
post #403 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzamudio View Post

Did you solve your problem with the PS3 HDMI connection? I am interested because I am planning to get an RX-V671 and connecting my PS3 with HDMI also.

I have no issues with my 671 + PS3 using 1.4a compliant HDMI cable. I bought an expensive "M" brand cable temporarily while I waited for the way less expensive other "m" brand cable to be delivered. Returned the (ridiculously) expensive cable. 2D and 3D picture(s) are stunning. My only question about using the PS3 now is why I seem to only get PCM audio.
post #404 of 2142
will enjoy having that app but in the meantime I find the PC version (IP address) works just fine.

Best.... Steve
post #405 of 2142
Can't download the manual on the Yamaha site and a search here has not given me the answer. Is it easier than previous models?
post #406 of 2142
You can update the firmware from a USB memory stick or a network connection. So yes, it should be easier than the old method of burning a CD.
post #407 of 2142
Anyone know what the update does?
post #408 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrivirsible View Post

Can't download the manual on the Yamaha site and a search here has not given me the answer. Is it easier than previous models?

I posted earlier in the thread some success with wirelessly networking my 671 using an Apple Airport Express. Ran ethernet cable from 671 to the AE, and my 671 was online before I even got to the on-screen menu for networking. Firmware upgrade very easy this way.
post #409 of 2142
Hi there, I'm considering buying an RX-V771 in the near future and was wondering if anyone can tell me in general what the reliability of Yamaha receivers is like.

Are they known to crap out easily? Or are they generally known to last long? I'm not the type of person that'll want to upgrade my receiver every 3 years or so. I'd want it to last for at least 10 years.

Also, what is the heat production of Yamaha receivers like?

And how does the reliability compare to for instance, Onkyo, which is another brand I'm considering.

TIA for your opinions on this matter

Cheers!
post #410 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post

Hi there, I'm considering buying an RX-V771 in the near future and was wondering if anyone can tell me in general what the reliability of Yamaha receivers is like.

Are they known to crap out easily? Or are they generally known to last long? I'm not the type of person that'll want to upgrade my receiver every 3 years or so. I'd want it to last for at least 10 years.

Also, what is the heat production of Yamaha receivers like?

And how does the reliability compare to for instance, Onkyo, which is another brand I'm considering.

TIA for your opinions on this matter

Cheers!

"Reliability" can have different definitions. More consumer electronics get returned because the dummy can't figure out how to use it than because it's actually broken. Or, the dummy didn't do his homework before buying it. Most all makers of AVRs will see similar failure rates. (things that are actually broken).

In terms of practical reliability, many people might consider the unit with the fewest bugs to be the most reliable. In that regard, Yamaha generally rates pretty high. Things like HDMI handshaking issues are pretty rare, and DSP seems to be more robust in the Yamahas with the fewest restrictions on sample rates and such. IOW they tend to be able to do more stuff with more types of input.

Yamahas tend to run cooler than some, but over-all should be considered "average" in that regard.
post #411 of 2142
Thread Starter 
^^^

+1
post #412 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

^^^

+1

+2
post #413 of 2142
I'm looking to get one of these soon, but here in Canada, they've seem to have dumbed down the features. No Sirius Radio, No Bluetooth, No Pandora (which isn't available here) and a few other things. The only play that sells them is Best Buy.

I'm thinking of heading south to get one. I've also read that there is a version sold at Best Buy in the states that are also crippled by no Sirius internet radio functions.

Does anyone have one of these in Canada? What features can you use? I don't want to get one only to find out that it's crippled and the features like Internet radio and Sirius aren't supported.

Is there a specific model number I should look for because there seems to be 3 different models out there. Has anyone upgraded their firmware to the new version V116 yet?

I don't see the Sirius/XM internet radio setup in the manual. I did see it in the RX-V867 manual.

Suggestions?
Thanks.
post #414 of 2142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbullet View Post

The only play that sells them is Best Buy.

That's not true. I don't know where you are located but lots of non-"big box" shops have them.

Or buy from J&R or similar vendor who ships to Canada.
post #415 of 2142
I was thinking Fry's. they have the one that isn't crippled. I wonder how I can find out which models are crippled with the functions missing.
post #416 of 2142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbullet View Post

I was thinking Fry's. they have the one that isn't crippled.

Where are you getting this "crippled" stuff!?!?
Quote:


I wonder how I can find out which models are crippled with the functions missing.

Yamaha USA only sells one version of the RX-V671 !

If Yamaha Canada chose a different version of that model, they will only sell that one version. Period.
post #417 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post


Supposed to be coming in October...
http://www.whathifi.com/news/yamaha-...and-bd-players

Version 1.0 is on Android Market now!
post #418 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaas12321 View Post

Version 1.0 is on Android Market now!

Just tried it on my Galaxy S (Epic 4G) and it seems to work decently. Haven't tried it on my Transformer tablet yet.
post #419 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post
Where are you getting this "crippled" stuff!?!?Yamaha USA only sells one version of the RX-V671 !

If Yamaha Canada chose a different version of that model, they will only sell that one version. Period.
The version I saw at BestBuy here in Canada doesn't support Sirius/XM. It does support Bluetooth which I said it didn't. So looks like I'll get mine from the states.
post #420 of 2142
I can't figure out why I'm getting only PCM audio while playing Bluray discs from my PS3. I've searched related PS3 forum threads, this thread, and I can't figure this one out.

I'm getting Dolby Digital 5.1 output from my cable box, streaming Netflix, streaming Amazon Instant Video, but I'm a little stumped about bluray discs only output in PCM....

Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR