Originally Posted by rcraigiii
1) What type of sound quality difference would I expect between the old and new Yamaha?
From the amplifier itself: no difference. From the results of having the YPAO computer available: major improvements. From the ability to handle the new HD audio formats: subtle improvements.
2) My typical complaint is low center channel volume, so I turned up the volume, then eventually get blown away. Anything with this receiver that will help?
As mentioned above, having YPAO available will allow you to precisely balance your entire system, tuned to the environment. If your former problems were caused by channel imbalances or frequency response problems, they should be cured.
3) If I use HDMI to take video and audio through new Yamaha, what differences (volume, crispness, pic quality, etc) would I expect to see/hear compared to my old setup?
You will be able to use and benefit from the new HD audio formats that cannot be passed through your existing interfaces.
4) I use sub-out for PSW350 on existing setup. Is that still the case with the new receiver?
5) I notice on certain programming (tv when set to Dolby Digital and on some PS3 games) that the volume drops off and gets very echo-ey. Is this specific to my old setup and the new receiver will handle this better?
Likely no change. Sounds like other issues!
5) Any other suggestions or observations? Is there another receiver better suited for my setup?
The RX-V867 offers pre-in/out and dual HDMI and sub outputs but lacks the USB input port. Your call. The 867 was $429 at New Egg but the 671 is now $370 at Tiger Direct.