or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 33

post #961 of 2142
Hello, I am looking for a budget avr with pre outs. Initially I was looking at the denon models and realized you had to jump up to the 3312 models to get pre outs.

The speakers would be polk lsi 15 fronts/centers.


I am a little confused as to which avr have pre-outs for 7 channels.

Is this correct?
rx v667 - pre outs
rx v671 - no pre outs
rx v867 - pre outs
rx v 871 - pre outs
a700 - pre outs

And YPAO is not considered quite as good as the Audyessy multieq and multieq xt since there is only 1 listening position vs 6? Do the 8xx models have better YPAO vs the 6xx? The price difference is almost 3-400 dollars though for the yamaha vs cheapest denon with pre outs.
post #962 of 2142
Thread Starter 
There are great deals on the 867 out there! The YPAO in it is just fine!
post #963 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

There are great deals on the 867 out there! The YPAO in it is just fine!

thanks

is my list correct though regarding pre outs?

both the 667 and 867 have pre outs on all channels?
post #964 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoney View Post

thanks

is my list correct though regarding pre outs?

both the 667 and 867 have pre outs on all channels?

Yes, both the 667 and 867 have pre outs for all channels.
post #965 of 2142
Thread Starter 
Off hand I forget about the 667 but can say the 867 is the best value!
post #966 of 2142
I have a RX-V671 on the way, I don't have a sub so technically I have a 5.0 setup. Will YPAO know this or do I need to tell it during set-up?
post #967 of 2142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckp View Post

Will YPAO know this or do I need to tell it during set-up?

it will automatically detect what speakers are attached?
post #968 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

it will automatically detect what speakers are attached?

Thank you
post #969 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

There are great deals on the 867 out there! The YPAO in it is just fine!

I feel rather shafted paying MSRP for the RX-V671 from Amazon at this point (the lowest price found at POS) as I didn't see this post until after the fact: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...g#post21170805 still a quick search shows them at only about $50 less presently. I can only assume this is aftereffect of the Taiwanese floods.
post #970 of 2142
The website Bountii is great for finding the best prices on stuff.
Also check the site Techbargins.

Also I would not go lower then the RX-V667, it's the cheapest Yamaha receiver that has the better speaker amplifiers.
post #971 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy View Post

The website Bountii is great for finding the best prices on stuff.
Also check the site Techbargins.

Also I would not go lower then the RX-V667, it's the cheapest Yamaha receiver that has the better speaker amplifiers.

Well, I wanted the web features which in retrospect are not all that useful. I unfortunately was in the market at a bad time, got a better deal on Yamaha CD-C600BL & Jamo speakers in upgrading my system I think.
post #972 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

Yes, both the 667 and 867 have pre outs for all channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

Off hand I forget about the 667 but can say the 867 is the best value!

Thanks, I will see if the 867 features are needed in the setup I am pursuing !
post #973 of 2142
Perhaps this is a noob question, being that this is my first AV receiver, prior having just a 2 channel stereo setup, but on classic mono soundtrack movies I have found that the audio is being channeled entirely to the center speaker in Standard 7.1 mode, is this normal? I find that this tends to sound very tinny probably because the Jamo C60 center is the weakest in the system (which is made very obvious in this situation). I have tried Mono Movie mode which "does" evenly distribute the audio to all speakers but adds annoying gated reverb to the feed (who the heck wants to hear that???). I have taken to just setting the receiver to Straight 2 channel stereo mode for these movies but was just wondering about this.
post #974 of 2142
Quote:
I find that this tends to sound very tinny probably because the Jamo C60 center is the weakest in the system (which is made very obvious in this situation

What's the rest of the system?
post #975 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What's the rest of the system?

2 Jamo C607 front
4 Jamo C603 side & back
HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer
post #976 of 2142
Hi All,

I've just purchased a new RX-V671 AVR and I am having real problems getting the audio from my TV to come through my ceiling speakers via the AVR. My TV is an LG 37LE4900 LED HDTV without an ARC function. I have an digital optical cable running from the TV into the AVR but just cannot any sound from the TV to come out of the speakers. I don't know what settings need to be set or how to configure both the AVR and TV.

I have tested out the speakers and they do work once they are connected up to the AVR via my ipod.

Can anyone please help me set these up?

Many Thanks,

Sunny
post #977 of 2142
What is the practical application for using a ARC? Being a newb to ARC, best I can tell it sends audio back to the AVR via the HDMI as opposed to a separate audio cable. I know my TV doesn't support ARC but I'm wondering in what scenario I would need to send audio back to the AVR. I was hoping to only have one cable from my soon to be arriving 671 to the TV.
post #978 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckp View Post

What is the practical application for using a ARC? Being a newb to ARC, best I can tell it sends audio back to the AVR via the HDMI as opposed to a separate audio cable. I know my TV doesn't support ARC but I'm wondering in what scenario I would need to send audio back to the AVR. I was hoping to only have one cable from my soon to be arriving 671 to the TV.

Scenario 1: Television is connected to an antenna. ARC sends broadcast programming audio to AVR via HDMI cable.

Scenario 2: Television comes with Vudu. ARC sends Vudu movie soundtrack to AVR via HDMI cable.
post #979 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

Scenario 1: Television is connected to an antenna. ARC sends broadcast programming audio to AVR via HDMI cable.

Scenario 2: Television comes with Vudu. ARC sends Vudu movie soundtrack to AVR via HDMI cable.

Thanks, well I have niether so it appears I don't need to run a seperate audio cable or make use of ARC. Never thought about the built in TV Apps, all my apps will be on the 671 or AppleTV.
post #980 of 2142
Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Sunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnynagra View Post

Hi All,

I've just purchased a new RX-V671 AVR and I am having real problems getting the audio from my TV to come through my ceiling speakers via the AVR. My TV is an LG 37LE4900 LED HDTV without an ARC function. I have an digital optical cable running from the TV into the AVR but just cannot any sound from the TV to come out of the speakers. I don't know what settings need to be set or how to configure both the AVR and TV.

I have tested out the speakers and they do work once they are connected up to the AVR via my ipod.

Can anyone please help me set these up?

Many Thanks,

Sunny
post #981 of 2142
You don't have those ceiling speakers hooked to the zone 2 hook ups do you, no digital signals allowed on zone 2 ( from hdmi or to slink)
post #982 of 2142
No, I don't have any speakers hooked to zone 2. I have 2 speakers connected to Front R & L and 2 speakers hooked to Surround R & L
post #983 of 2142
Is there a setting on the tv that needs to be turned on so sound will go out of the toslink connection, I know on my cable dvr it is either analog sound or digital out but not both
post #984 of 2142
I have looked through my sound settings and there is a digital output option which is turned on. Nothing relating to analog. The optical cables are in the correct place. The optical cable is working as I can see the red laser. Is there anything in the AVR settings I need to do? How do I know if my TV supports HDMI control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post

Is there a setting on the tv that needs to be turned on so sound will go out of the toslink connection, I know on my cable dvr it is either analog sound or digital out but not both
post #985 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnynagra View Post

I have looked through my sound settings and there is a digital output option which is turned on. Nothing relating to analog. The optical cables are in the correct place. The optical cable is working as I can see the red laser. Is there anything in the AVR settings I need to do? How do I know if my TV supports HDMI control?

Which speaker terminals on the AVR are the ceiling speakers connected to?
When you say the ceiling speakers don't produce sound from the TV, do you mean from its internal tuner (connected to an antenna), internal apps (such as Netflix), or programming from a cable/sat box or all or any combination of them?
post #986 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

Which speaker terminals on the AVR are the ceiling speakers connected to?
When you say the ceiling speakers don't produce sound from the TV, do you mean from its internal tuner (connected to an antenna), internal apps (such as Netflix), or programming from a cable/sat box or all or any combination of them?

I have 2 speakers connected to Front R & L and 2 speakers hooked to Surround R & L.

Yes I do mean from the internal tuner (Freeview HD) which is coming in from the antenna. When I plug my ipod in or do test sounds through the setup menu for the AVR, sound clearly comes out of the speakers. It is just the connection from the TV to the AVR via both HDMI and optical cable. I really don't know what I am doing wrong here. Everything is plugged in correctly and in the correct places, but no sound comes out. The sound still comes out of the TV speaker and not the speakers.
post #987 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnynagra View Post

I have 2 speakers connected to Front R & L and 2 speakers hooked to Surround R & L.

Yes I do mean from the internal tuner (Freeview HD) which is coming in from the antenna. When I plug my ipod in or do test sounds through the setup menu for the AVR, sound clearly comes out of the speakers. It is just the connection from the TV to the AVR via both HDMI and optical cable. I really don't know what I am doing wrong here. Everything is plugged in correctly and in the correct places, but no sound comes out. The sound still comes out of the TV speaker and not the speakers.

Determine which optical input the cable is plugged into on the AVR. Then see page 95 of the OM to ensure that the proper tv input is enabled.
post #988 of 2142
what input is select on the avr when trying to listen to tv (hdmi1, hdmi2, av1, etc), make sure the SOUND option for that input matches the VIDEO (done on 671 menu) as it is possible to show video from hdmi 1 on tv but get audio from another source at the same time (example listening to pandora radio WHILE playing your ps3), this happened to me on my hdmi1 input, i thought the avr had a bad connector, it was simply the audio portion of hdmi1 was set to av1 instead of hdmi1
post #989 of 2142
in your case if you are watching tv and tv is connected to avr with toslink cable then your must be on av1 or av4 (only toslink connections on avr), so your video msignal is NOT going thru avr, right?
post #990 of 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post

what input is select on the avr when trying to listen to tv (hdmi1, hdmi2, av1, etc), make sure the SOUND option for that input matches the VIDEO (done on 671 menu) as it is possible to show video from hdmi 1 on tv but get audio from another source at the same time (example listening to pandora radio WHILE playing your ps3), this happened to me on my hdmi1 input, i thought the avr had a bad connector, it was simply the audio portion of hdmi1 was set to av1 instead of hdmi1

When I turn on the AVR the input selected is AV4 as my optical cable is plugged in there and I have my HDMI cable coming from my TV (HDMI In) to the HDMI OUT on the AVR. When I switch to the HDMI input on my TV, I get the GUI of the AVR, where I can do the setup of the speakers. Is this where you are saying that I need to set the audio output for the optical cable as this will be the only cable that I require to transfer the sound from my TV to the speakers via the AVR?

In the instructions it says that I need to put in both the HDMI cable and optical cable to get the sound out. Is this correct? and if so why is that the case?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR