I did a little more work this weekend on the chairs.
First off I needed to round over the edges of the arms so there would not be any sharp corners to wear the upholstery out quickly.
I did the same on the foot rests and seat bottom parts.
I made a template and laid out the pieces for the upper arm on the back of the leather.
These are the parts for the sides of the upper arm.
I had to sew the rear panel to the sides.
Here is the upper arm with the foam attached. On the next arm I did I did not staple the foam. You could feel the dips were the staples are at though the foam.
And here is the arm with the leather attached.
Here is the underside of the arm that will be exposed. I padded the area and now it's ready for leather.
To attach the panel that goes on the underside I will be using tack strips. The cardboard one is stapled in place and the metal one is hammered into the wood frame.
To start off I tacked down the leather piece so it would not shift.
Then I stapled down the cardboard tack strip. The purpose of the cardboard strip is so when you fold the upholstery back over you get a nice crisp edge.
Next I pushed the metal tack strip through the backside of the upholstery. You should position the strip about half the width of the strip past the width of the area that you are covering.
Then you roll the strip and the upholstery over so the points are facing the frame and carefully hammer the points into the frame. I used a soft mallet with a piece of foam between it and the leather.
Once all the metal strips are in you end up with this.
Here is the upper arm mounted to the lower arm.
This is one of the arm inserts with the foam attached.
The material that the arm inserts is too thin to staple so I had to glue the leather to the insert.
Here is the finished insert.
Here is the arm with the inserts in place.
And another shot of the arm.