or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portal 2 - Page 3

post #61 of 126
I'm fully into the "airbourne gymnastics" phase now. This game is 100Lbs of pure awesome, I've always loved the physics of it. So insanely addictive, this will defintely have some replay value to me. It's simplistic, but we are not playing it for the graphics and sound anyhow IMHO.
post #62 of 126
I need a solid time to play this again cause i need to play through with the commentary on.
post #63 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalksInDarkness View Post

I'm fully into the "airbourne gymnastics" phase now. This game is 100Lbs of pure awesome, I've always loved the physics of it. So insanely addictive, this will defintely have some replay value to me. It's simplistic, but we are not playing it for the graphics and sound anyhow IMHO.

Yet in my opinion it looks and sounds great. The shifting, decaying and manipulated environments look awesome.
post #64 of 126
Just finished it - incredibly satisfying ending.

At times I'm glad it wasn't too hard, but I wish there was at least one or two puzzles that tricked me for longer than 10 minutes or so. Still, every puzzle was interesting and a reward to solve.

Will there be better game experience this year? Hard to say.
post #65 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Just finished it - incredibly satisfying ending.

At times I'm glad it wasn't too hard, but I wish there was at least one or two puzzles that tricked me for longer than 10 minutes or so. Still, every puzzle was interesting and a reward to solve.

Will there be better game experience this year? Hard to say.

I was stuck on the laser gate one for awhile....and the parts where you had to look very far distances for portal surfaces often led to me taking a break and coming back with a fresh mind.

Some of the simplest solutions sometimes alluded me because my brain got into a pattern of looking for complex solutions.
post #66 of 126
Yeah, it seemed easier than the original, but still loved it and it was still challenging enough. Maybe the puzzles were on the same level of complexity to figure out, just easier to actually complete after realizing the solution.

Happy to say I didn't need to go online to finish a puzzle, though I did check for a couple achievements after completing the game. I was getting frustrated with the "destroy 11 monitors one", thinking it was broken, and then realized it was because I was destroying the cameras in chapter 2-3 and not the screens in chapter 8, DOH!
post #67 of 126
I'm fast approaching the end (but taking it slowly so as to savor every minute).

But I do wish the game was a bit more challenging overall. Or maybe "challenging" isn't the right word. More like "more creative." It wasn't just the freshness of the portal mechanic that made the first game so awesome. It was the creativity of the puzzles. And having the alternate solutions (fewer portals, fewer steps, less time) proved just how freaking smart Portal 1's level designers were.

The puzzles in Portal 2 aren't nearly as creative by comparison, and the lack of medals gives you no encouragement to look for alternate solutions. I'm just not finding myself "thinking outside the box" as much this time around. But I'm loving the experience tremendously regardless.
post #68 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I'm fast approaching the end (but taking it slowly so as to savor every minute).

But I do wish the game was a bit more challenging overall. Or maybe "challenging" isn't the right word. More like "more creative." It wasn't just the freshness of the portal mechanic that made the first game so awesome. It was the creativity of the puzzles. And having the alternate solutions (fewer portals, fewer steps, less time) proved just how freaking smart Portal 1's level designers were.

The puzzles in Portal 2 aren't nearly as creative by comparison, and the lack of medals gives you no encouragement to look for alternate solutions. I'm just not finding myself "thinking outside the box" as much this time around. But I'm loving the experience tremendously regardless.

While your challenge quota might not be met....the last 10 minutes of the game!!!
post #69 of 126
Loving it so far, really just through 7, but in my opinion assumes you played portal 1 and understand how to use the portal gun etc. No biggie since this is portal 2., just sayin.
post #70 of 126
I bought the game Saturday and finished the single player last night; I'd say it took me about 7-8 hours. Overall I enjoyed the game but there were a few things I wish had been different:

- All the portal games have a general sparseness and static feeling to them that sometimes draws me out of the experience and hampers the feeling that you're in a "real" world. You're completely alone and other than the occasional quip from GlaDOS or Heatley much of the game is silent. This was especially true during the Cave Johnson section of Portal 2 where you had the enormous levels and practically nothing or no one to interact with. It would have been nice if you came across some other characters (maybe past test subjects who couldn't make it out) or machines that could have provided some interaction and advanced the story.

- While nearly every level could be solved without dying if you took your time and studied your environment, the final encounter quickly degenerated into a "try and die" exercise, especially with the final object you had to manipulate. I thought that was kind of weak actually.

- The character you control has all the history and personality of a potato; while the focus of the game is squarely on the puzzles I think a little more background info and fleshing out of the main character would have made her (and thus the game) more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game and will definitely revisit some of the puzzles but I just think it could have benefitted from having a little more meat on its bones.
post #71 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I bought the game Saturday and finished the single player last night; I'd say it took me about 7-8 hours. Overall I enjoyed the game but there were a few things I wish had been different:

- All the portal games have a general sparseness and static feeling to them that sometimes draws me out of the experience and hampers the feeling that you're in a "real" world. You're completely alone and other than the occasional quip from GlaDOS or Heatley much of the game is silent. This was especially true during the Cave Johnson section of Portal 2 where you had the enormous levels and practically nothing or no one to interact with. It would have been nice if you came across some other characters (maybe past test subjects who couldn't make it out) or machines that could have provided some interaction and advanced the story.

- While nearly every level could be solved without dying if you took your time and studied your environment, the final encounter quickly degenerated into a "try and die" exercise, especially with the final object you had to manipulate. I thought that was kind of weak actually.

- The character you control has all the history and personality of a potato; while the focus of the game is squarely on the puzzles I think a little more background info and fleshing out of the main character would have made her (and thus the game) more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game and will definitely revisit some of the puzzles but I just think it could have benefitted from having a little more meat on its bones.


The atmosphere would change if you met other people. When glados talks about other test subjects I think she's lying anyway. I'm pretty sure you are the one and only test subject left. You find several secret rooms that people have been living in for a very long time. It adds to the crushing, bleakness of the situation. The one thing I want to know is how she got back into the facility after ending the first game outside the facility.
post #72 of 126
I don't think you're actually the original character, I think you're just one of a set of clones that were always destroyed at the end of the original game's tests (until glados went nuts and we get to the clone you play in portal 1). I figured for 2 you were just the last clone in storage. The clone idea fits into you not knowing your past, which glados taunts you with.

I also thought the finale was easier than in 1 - I only died once because I kept missing the final jump.

Also, all the evidence you find of other people is of employees and the "rat man" - nothing of other test subjects.

Now, the stuff you're told for the gel tests does strongly suggest that *those* tests really did have other subjects - volunteers and employees.
post #73 of 126
There's a comic that they put out that shows you are the original character. It's a pretty quick read and explains a bit about the things that happened before the 1st and 2nd game.

I wish I had picked this up for 360 instead. Love to play some co-op.
post #74 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

The atmosphere would change if you met other people. When glados talks about other test subjects I think she's lying anyway. I'm pretty sure you are the one and only test subject left. You find several secret rooms that people have been living in for a very long time. It adds to the crushing, bleakness of the situation. The one thing I want to know is how she got back into the facility after ending the first game outside the facility.

Read the brilliant comic. http://www.thinkwithportals.com/comic/
post #75 of 126
Finished the game.

Overall, I love the sense of humor and the way Valve was able to better contextualize the puzzles within the story and environment.

But IMO everything from the middle of the game (Cave Johnson section) onward wasn't really necessary or all that difficult or fun. It was a literal 4-hour detour in the storyline. There were more puzzle elements (gels), but they were substantially easier puzzles. To me, it felt like the game was meant to end in the section just before that, but then Valve decided to turn this into a stand-alone retail release rather than a pack-in, so they had to add another 4 hours of game.

I really enjoyed it, but the last half just wasn't nearly as good as the first half. The puzzles were laid out almost like a connect the dots sequence, so I wasn't ever really stumped. The puzzles simply aren't nearly as "mind-bending" as the first--especially if you went for silver and gold medals!
post #76 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

But IMO everything from the middle of the game (Cave Johnson section) onward wasn't really necessary or all that difficult or fun. It was a literal 4-hour detour in the storyline. There were more puzzle elements (gels), but they were substantially easier puzzles. To me, it felt like the game was meant to end in the section just before that, but then Valve decided to turn this into a stand-alone retail release rather than a pack-in, so they had to add another 4 hours of game.

If you ever read the 'Final Hours of Portal 2', then this will make a lot more sense. They seemed to have been going in different directions for the initial production of Portal 2 and then had to scrap a lot of ideas and find a way to put it all back together.
post #77 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

If you ever read the 'Final Hours of Portal 2', then this will make a lot more sense. They seemed to have been going in different directions for the initial production of Portal 2 and then had to scrap a lot of ideas and find a way to put it all back together.

can't wait till they release this on other platforms so I can check this out
post #78 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

If you ever read the 'Final Hours of Portal 2', then this will make a lot more sense. They seemed to have been going in different directions for the initial production of Portal 2 and then had to scrap a lot of ideas and find a way to put it all back together.

Huh. Didn't know this existed. I may read it (only $2), but it doesn't help knowing that Mr. Geoff "Douchebag in a Polo Shirt" Keighley wrote it.

But just from quickly reading around about that article, it sounds like Valve initially planned Portal 2 as
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
a prequel, but then developed the story for Portal 2 in a totally different direction, and then decided to combine those two things.
I guess that explains the strange "break" in the story's continuity up to that point and why that whole last half feels tacked on (because it was).
post #79 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Huh. Didn't know this existed. I may read it (only $2), but it doesn't help knowing that Mr. Geoff "Douchebag in a Polo Shirt" Keighley wrote it.

But just from quickly reading around about that article, it sounds like Valve initially planned Portal 2 as
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
a prequel, but then developed the story for Portal 2 in a totally different direction, and then decided to combine those two things.
I guess that explains the strange "break" in the story's continuity up to that point and why that whole last half feels tacked on (because it was).

Exactly....on all points.

Seems to be some backlash from him releasing it as an iPad only app right now, but controversy aside, it was a great read, and the features he added to it seemed to fit well within the platform. I certainly gained a newfound respect for Gabe Newell and Valve.
post #80 of 126
I bought 'Final Hours of Portal 2' the day it came out.
Once you have seen & read it you'll understand why the iPad was the perfect platform for it though I could see it as a website as well. Either way it was well worth the $2.
post #81 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

There's a comic that they put out that shows you are the original character. It's a pretty quick read and explains a bit about the things that happened before the 1st and 2nd game.

I wish I had picked this up for 360 instead. Love to play some co-op.

If you got the ps3 version I have the pc version. My steam name should be Yrd. Look me up.
post #82 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

If you got the ps3 version I have the pc version. My steam name should be Yrd. Look me up.

Thanks. I will....once PSN is back up.
post #83 of 126
Did you have play 1 in order to follow/enjoy 2? Thx.
post #84 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigger View Post

Did you have play 1 in order to follow/enjoy 2? Thx.

No. While it started out as a simple add-on to TF2, it's now the backstory to Portal 2.
post #85 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

No. While it started out as a simple add-on to TF2, it's now the backstory to Portal 2.

This post doesn't make sense. Either way, I would highly recommend playing Portal 1 before playing Portal 2. Hell, you won't even get what's so great about the very ending if you don't.
post #86 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

This post doesn't make sense.

Makes complete sense.
Originally Portal was an add on to the Orange Box, which featured TF2.
Valve never thought it would be a success, they considered it a standalone without much of a story to it.
Now with Portal 2 they have not only covered what happens after Portal, but also what came before the original game.
post #87 of 126
Portal was never an add-on for Team Fortress 2. I think that's why he said it doesn't make any sense, because it didn't.
post #88 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigger View Post
Did you have play 1 in order to follow/enjoy 2? Thx.
You don't have to, but Portal 1 can be had for much, much cheaper than Portal 2. It's also short (2-3 hrs), so you'll want to jump straight into Portal 2 when you're finished!

You also simply owe it to yourself to play through both games; they're among the best games in the last decade.
post #89 of 126
Also, a lot of the jokes are better if you played the first one.
post #90 of 126
Conman - While yes, Geoff Keighly is a retarded douche, Final Hours Of Portal 2 is a great $2 spend if you want a bit of insight into Valve's workings and the development of Portal 2. It is very much a well done digital magazine, and fits the iPad perfectly.

Recommended, even though the author is a tard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area