or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Does your 2011 Samsung "D" plasma have brightness pops?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does your 2011 Samsung "D" plasma have brightness pops? - Page 4

post #91 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

The VT30 has Fluctuating Brightness issues, if I'd have known how bad it was I'd have kept my PN64D8000. Something to consider I hope this helps some.

How do you know it is worse on VT30?
I hope not, because I just ordered one! I never noticed it in store, but I've read all the threads on it, so I knew both Panny and Sammy have the problem.

I just have not heard that VT30 is worse than D7000/8000...I definitely have heard GT30 is worse that ST/VT30...

Anyone else have opinion on this?
post #92 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghusker View Post

How do you know it is worse on VT30?
I hope not, because I just ordered one! I never noticed it in store, but I've read all the threads on it, so I knew both Panny and Sammy have the problem.

I just have not heard that VT30 is worse than D7000/8000...I definitely have heard GT30 is worse that ST/VT30...

Anyone else have opinion on this?

Unlike Samsung Panasonic already has a firmware fix for the brightness fluctuation issue, for those having trouble need to open a ticket and Panasonic will then provide you with the non-public firmware fix. Anyone have a clue when Samsung will have a fix for their brightness fluctuation issues? My guess is never...

Techlord
post #93 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

Unlike Samsung Panasonic already has a firmware fix for the brightness fluctuation issue, for those having trouble need to open a ticket and Panasonic will then provide you with the non-public firmware fix. Anyone have a clue when Samsung will have a fix for their brightness fluctuation issues? My guess is never...

Techlord

Very cool, if true. I thought that firmware fix was only for Spain/Europe, not confirmed for NA? Maybe I haven't kept up with that thread for latest info. Thanks,
post #94 of 2249
I have been changing the settings on my PN64D550 for awhile trying to get the brightness pops to disappear. After turning off most of the settings (dynamic contrast, eco settings, motion lighting, etc.) they occurred less frequently than out of the box but still happened. The brightness fluctuations are most obvious when watching a movie that has black bars on the sides or top and bottom of the screen. Occasionally the screen will get brighter and a portion of the bars turn grey for a second or two.

The only setting I have found that makes a difference is changing Film Mode to Cinema Smooth. After changing this setting the brightness fluctuations seem to have disappeared and I am at peace with the television.

Perhaps someone with knowledge of plasmas can explain why changing Film Mode to Cinema Smooth would make a difference. The brightness fluctuations definitely appear to be a software issue. Hopefully Samsung comes out with a firmware update. The TV has a fantastic picture and it would be nice to get it out of the box without the brightness fluctuations.
post #95 of 2249
Samsung replaced my c8000 with a d8000 and mine pops. It is a new unit.

It is discouraging because I returned a g25 last year for a unit that would not float the blacks and got the c8000. Now I ended up with a set I paid even more for and the very unwanted brightness fluctuations I was looking to avoid in the first place.


I would think there would be some variation of settings where the ABL would not kick on.

Anyone have any updates on settings they are using where the unit does not fluctuate?

If your set pops, please contact Samsung and report it accordingly.
post #96 of 2249
Yes, I have brightness fluctuations. PN59D6900. Two weeks old. Looks like factory settings as follows:

picture mode: standard
cell light: 10
contrast: 95
brightness: 45
sharpness: 50
color: 50
tint: G50, R50
auto adjustment (disabled, can't select)

advanced
black tone: off
dynamic contrast: high
gamma: 0
expert pattern: off
RGB only mode: off
color space: native
white balance: all RGB gain/offset are set at 25
10p white balance: off (disabled, can't select)
flesh tone: 0
edge enhancement: on
motion lighting: on
xvYCC: off

system/eco solution
energy saving: off
eco sensor: on

software: 001009 (I updated it the day I plugged it in)
post #97 of 2249
PN64D7000. I have pops that annoyingly occur when I am watching movies. During Black Swan last night the black bars would pop up to gray in every scene. Not sure what is causing it; there isn't a consistent increase in white in the scene (which seems to me the only reason blacks would need to increase).

That and the peeling on my set make me want to return the plasma.
post #98 of 2249
Ok, let me try to do this while it is still fresh in my head. Samsung tech came over and first acknoledged that unusual FBr is happening for my PN59D6500. Went into the service menu and did some panning grey scales and it was flickering quite a bit. When doing this, he said he went around the main board and went through the logic board and the FBr was still happening. So then deducted that the problem is most likely either a panel issue and/or firmware problem. He then said he wanted to go to other stores and try to recreate this problem with other tvs that are my version to see if it is just tv or others as well. Also, he knows an actual engineer who helps write the firmware in Virginia I think it was that he is going to talk to for an explanation and if it is being worked on. So I will be hearing back from the tech within a week on an update.

Until then, I have till Aug. 1st for a return. The tech also noted that there was clouding on a white band test in the panel and some stuttering during slow scrolling content like credits etc...

There was probably some more information I did not touch on, so if there are any questions I'll try the best I can to answer them.
post #99 of 2249
yes i have them. After using larry's settings through they all but went away.
post #100 of 2249
I have the PN51D490 series plasma, and too have brightness pops, movie
mode, oppo bdp93 to hdmi, all eco-dinamic- to off
post #101 of 2249
Count me in

I have them on a PN64D7000 from day 1, noticed them right away coming off a Panny V10.

I also have a Samsung B series in the bedroom and neither one of these have this issue like the D series.

Samsung designed something in, kind of reminds my of the Dynamic Iris on some rear projection sets (which I disabled on my Sony).

Noticed it on movie mode with cell light at 16, 18 and 20.

All features turned off. and still noticed it.

Used Larry's settings and still saw it.

Used Chad B's settings that some one put up and still saw it.

Very bothersome to me, considering I have 3 other plasma's in the house that don't do this. Must be a new design in attempt to get better black levels but they are not taking into account how distracting it is in the black bars to see them change in a dark room. and they can change fast depending on the scene.

Love the tv but this has to get fixed. Have an exchange coming for this and buzzing.

Hopefully I can get a good working unit like some are reporting. Exchanged my B series twice before keeping the 3rd set that works like a champ!!!
post #102 of 2249
Count me as well.

59D6500, had it for two weeks. It seems like it's getting worse. How mindblowingly frustrating, it is so jarring! The TV might as well flash a quick frame of a yellow smiley face with its tongue sticking out, it works that well in taking you out of the scene.

I've tried a bunch of different settings, turned everything off, turned everything on, reset pictures, contrast/cell/brightness down, then up, yadda yadda. Nothing.

Looks like at least the Panasonicers are getting their firmware fix to do away with the issue (well, not so much do away, but adjust it so it's undetectable).

Being my first TV with Samsung, is there much hope that Samsung will ever lend us an ear and address the problem through firmware? The consensus I'm getting from the majority of users is "Heh, yeah right".

Two weeks left of return window, seriously considering a leap to the Panasonics on the hope of that firmware fix... (and not having to deal with the pan-flickering, ugh)
post #103 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblackice View Post
The TV might as well flash a quick frame of a yellow smiley face with its tongue sticking out, it works that well in taking you out of the scene.
lol

It really is bad. Look on the bright side, we will be right at home during rave scenes and whenever there are a bunch of camera flashes.

I just made the call today to exchange my Samsung for a Panasonic ST30. At least they developed software to minimize it. :\\
post #104 of 2249
I had my original panel for 3 weeks+.. I saw 2 pops with lots of viewing hours... My panel was replaced due to "peeling issue".. so far I've had my new one for 4 days.. no pops yet.
post #105 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
I had my original panel for 3 weeks+.. I saw 2 pops with lots of viewing hours... My panel was replaced due to "peeling issue".. so far I've had my new one for 4 days.. no pops yet.
That's hopeful! However, you should probably seek out the specific tests to determine if it's there or not, so you don't have to wait for the problem in case it's just the luck of the content you're currently watching.

On the other hand, if you don't see it, maybe you don't wanna go searching for it.
post #106 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblackice View Post

That's hopeful! However, you should probably seek out the specific tests to determine if it's there or not, so you don't have to wait for the problem in case it's just the luck of the content you're currently watching.

On the other hand, if you don't see it, maybe you don't wanna go searching for it.

I'm pretty sensitive to it... which is why I bought a Samsung and not a Panasonic VT30.... and yes I dont go looking for it, that is for sure.
post #107 of 2249
PN59D6500 here. It took me a couple days after getting the tv to notice the brightness pops, but since then, I either am noticing them easier or they are actually occurring more frequently.

I have had the tv in movie mode from jump street, with all the eco, dynamic contrast and other crap turned off. I notice the pops much more on SD content or anything with black bars, but it does happen on any content. It's just harder for me to notice on full screen HD content, especially when there is already a lot of brightness and color in the scene. In darker scenes, it is very easy to spot.
post #108 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpony View Post

PN59D6500 here. It took me a couple days after getting the tv to notice the brightness pops, but since then, I either am noticing them easier or they are actually occurring more frequently.

I have had the tv in movie mode from jump street, with all the eco, dynamic contrast and other crap turned off. I notice the pops much more on SD content or anything with black bars, but it does happen on any content. It's just harder for me to notice on full screen HD content, especially when there is already a lot of brightness and color in the scene. In darker scenes, it is very easy to spot.

VERY easy to spot in dark scenes. Sometimes I'm getting a handful of them a minute.

You know, call me crazy, and I make no claim to know the inner workings of the firmware's computations, but if I didn't know any better, I would say that these TVs -ARE- getting worse with brightness pops as they age. I know for sure I did not see brightness pops the first week I had the TV, and yet after my 100-200 hours of break-in, I'm seeing them left and right.

I wonder if it has something to do with the light sensor collecting data? When the TV is new, it doesn't have any data from the sensor or TV viewing time. But as time goes on, perhaps the TV is factoring some kind of data and translating it into brightness pops?

Perhaps not. I'm just stumped as to how many people I've heard/read/seen that say "They were not there when I first got it. But now they are." It seems hard to believe that every one of these people were just blind to it early on. As for myself, I have VERY sensitive eyes, and I don't get how I wouldn't have seen something like this in the first week of the TV.

What else would be causing this "delay" in pops starting? I guess the alternative is something electrical, that perhaps there's some component on the board that takes hours of use to "warm up" or break-in.

Siggghhhhh. I'm about to call Samsung up to report the issue, as it will never get fixed if we don't whine. I'm sure I'll get the usual "Sir, this is the first time we have EVER heard of anything like that. Congratulations", like they gave me when I called and asked about the thermal-expansion/screen cracking issue.
post #109 of 2249
Model # PN59D550C1F 59 Inch 3D

Only had for 5 days so far.

Yes I see brightness pops. I noticed it a lot on BBC World News, and also on some other channels that I don't remember. Eco is off.

I'm thinking about returning it within the 30 day period if there is no easy answer.
post #110 of 2249
Our pn64d7000 has it. Every time I've noticed it has been when a scene is cutting back and forth between two camera angles with different brightness. It's almost as if there is a delay on the adjustment and the panel is playing catch up.
post #111 of 2249
I have the PN59D6500. Had the brightness pops since day one. Purchased it back in April. Never gone away and its still annoying but I love the tv anyways. Did a calibration and its not as noticeable but haven't found any settings to remove it completely.
post #112 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo1313 View Post

I have the PN59D6500. Had the brightness pops since day one. Purchased it back in April. Never gone away and its still annoying but I love the tv anyways. Did a calibration and its not as noticeable but haven't found any settings to remove it completely.

Please do not take this the wrong way...but you do realize that it is behavior like this that reinforces Samsung to not do anything about it right? At least submit a ticket and have a field tech look at it. Plus, it has been stated before that these pops can get worse with time. Just raise the awareness within the company. When I talked to Samsung and they sent out a tech, they never heard of the problem. The more people that do this, the more likely they will look more into it and do something.
post #113 of 2249
Guys, I posted this theory in another thread, based on some testing I've done -- Standard Mode does not (so far) have the brightness pop problem.

Would you guys mind switching to Standard Mode and watching for brightness pops? Even better if you can rewatch some things where you specifically know a brightness pop occurs faithfully.

My theory is that because of the "Energy Star" icon next to Standard, Sammy believes that is the most energy-efficient mode, and thus they haven't programmed in this special "feature" of brightness pop adjustment like they have in the other modes.

Works so far with me, and also with another guy who tried it out. If this is the case, then ideally we could reprogram Standard Mode to look like a Movie Mode clone, but enjoy it without Samsung's "feature" of brightness pops.

Just a theory, and easily disproved if people still get pops in Standard Mode. Oh and also, please disable all extraneous functions when trying this (dynamic contrast, motion lighting, eco sensor, etc.)
post #114 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Nova View Post

Please do not take this the wrong way...but you do realize that it is behavior like this that reinforces Samsung to not do anything about it right? At least submit a ticket and have a field tech look at it. Plus, it has been stated before that these pops can get worse with time. Just raise the awareness within the company. When I talked to Samsung and they sent out a tech, they never heard of the problem. The more people that do this, the more likely they will look more into it and do something.

^ EXACTLY this. Please don't just ignore, but raise a voice! Otherwise we'll never get an official fix like the Panasonic users did, and it was because of the rampant complaints of the pops.

Jay -- is there a way to submit a ticket online that we could reference to for people?
post #115 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblackice View Post

^ EXACTLY this. Please don't just ignore, but raise a voice! Otherwise we'll never get an official fix like the Panasonic users did, and it was because of the rampant complaints of the pops.

Jay -- is there a way to submit a ticket online that we could reference to for people?

Why yes there is coldblackice

Go HERE to register an account, register your tv with a serial number (you get an extra 3 months warranty as well) and request a service visit.

State the reason why which is brightness pops/fluctuating brightness/flickering etc... Say you have tried multiple sources and settings. They will then have your local samsung tech come out and check it out. Free of charge unless they do not find anything. Which they will if you truly have FBr. So don't worry about that.

Just so you know, I created a Panasonic FBr facebook page even though I did not have a Panny TV. Long story... But coincidentally we got a fix a month later. Now it was not just me of course. I kind of rallied the troops but it was the dedication of professionals who made several reference charts for Panasonic engineers to replicate the problem in their lab. Also the kind acts of several people within Panasonic to pull the right strings. It all starts somewhere. So if you plan on sticking with the Samsung and the FBr that comes with it, I highly recommend taking a few minutes out of your day to get the ball rolling.
post #116 of 2249
Wow, that was you?! I knew whoever did that was what sparked the answer to the problem

Good idea, I think I'll go ahead with that.

Curious -- why'd you do it for the Panasonics, especially since you had your Samsung at the time?! We could have had our fix already!
post #117 of 2249
Well I started to make a page about ALL 2011 plasmas and FBr. People over there are a bit more slanted towards Panasonic and trashed the idea, maybe rightfully so due to that method not being as direct as it should be. So I made a FBr page for Panasonic owners. Please note I was just one piece of the puzzle. There was a lot of work done by calibrators and insiders already before I got involved. I do think the facebook page and the unity it produced may have put the foot down on the throat of Panasonic a little stronger though.

That thread of Panasonic FBr was already 120+ pages deep when I started getting involved. This thread is 4... So I guess I just kind of assumed there wouldn't be enough support if I did start anything for Samsung. haha, I get the feeling I may start one when I get my Panasonic though. People seem to be getting more and more restless with Samsung FBr. I'll keep visiting these forums even when I have a perfectly working TV to try and help out as best I can. People did it for me.

So are you saying you are going to start a facebook page?
post #118 of 2249
If you guys check cnet.com review of the pn64d8000 they did mention this this. It one of samsung feature. Which I don't really like. When the pop in happen, we are loosing our deep black. And without the black images, the picture look a little wash out. It only happened when a dark scene and light scene take place.
post #119 of 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Nova View Post

Well I started to make a page about ALL 2011 plasmas and FBr. People over there are a bit more slanted towards Panasonic and trashed the idea, maybe rightfully so due to that method not being as direct as it should be. So I made a FBr page for Panasonic owners. Please note I was just one piece of the puzzle. There was a lot of work done by calibrators and insiders already before I got involved. I do think the facebook page and the unity it produced may have put the foot down on the throat of Panasonic a little stronger though.

That thread of Panasonic FBr was already 120+ pages deep when I started getting involved. This thread is 4... So I guess I just kind of assumed there wouldn't be enough support if I did start anything for Samsung. haha, I get the feeling I may start one when I get my Panasonic though. People seem to be getting more and more restless with Samsung FBr. I'll keep visiting these forums even when I have a perfectly working TV to try and help out as best I can. People did it for me.

So are you saying you are going to start a facebook page?

Awesome. Ya, I think I'm going to start it.

VIVA LA REVOLUCION
post #120 of 2249
My 59D6500 has it in spades.

The theory I've got on it is that in a dark viewing environment, the slightest increase in scene brightness casts light into the room which is partially reflected back into the light sensor, thus increasing the screen brightness.

'Eco Sensor: Samsung's unique Eco light sensor measures the intensity of the room's light and automatically calibrates the brightness of the image on the screen. In a sun-filled environment, the screen gets brighter and in dim surroundings, the intensity is reduced. This feature optimizes the viewing experience while also saving you a little energy.'

This sounds like a job for duct tape... Now where is that light sensor?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Does your 2011 Samsung "D" plasma have brightness pops?