or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

James Gunn's Super - Page 2

post #31 of 84
I just watched this for the second time, and it's definitely grown on me. With the novelty of the shocking violence gone the second time around, you're able to focus on the actual story more. And it's pretty good, so I think all of the people who disliked it the first time around should give it another chance. It went from pretty good to pretty damn good for me at least.
post #32 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

I just watched this for the second time, and it's definitely grown on me. With the novelty of the shocking violence gone the second time around, you're able to focus on the actual story more. And it's pretty good, so I think all of the people who disliked it the first time around should give it another chance.

Kinda like the initial reactions to Kick-Ass....

For ANY sane person, the beatdown of Hit Girl by an adult male (with his fists, no less) was/is tough to accept.

Although Super definitely has its moments in that regard, I think it deserves a chance.
But if KA was unacceptable for some folks, I don't think Super would work for them either.
post #33 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

I guess no one has seen these?

I've had the Canadian Blu-ray of Defendor sitting on my shelf for a while now, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
post #34 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

I guess no one has seen these?

Closer in tone to DEFENDOR than SPECIAL.
post #35 of 84
Looks like this "wannabe superhero" genre has a new entry: Griff the Invisible, starring Ryan Kwanten from True Blood.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1509803/
post #36 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Looks like this "wannabe superhero" genre has a new entry: Griff the Invisible, starring Ryan Kwanten from True Blood.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1509803/

Looks more like a love story than the others.

This Ryan Kwanten is terrific on TB.
post #37 of 84
Here is something I watched the other nite on HBO:
http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/superheroes/index.html

It is documentary on people who ACTUALLY do try to live a life as a superhero (for real, folks, not a faux documentary).

Utterly fascinating, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
It is by turns surprising, sad, sympathetic, inspiring, and a host of other things.

With all of the movies to have come out recently based loosely on this idea, this is timely and well worth spending 90 minutes on.
Do yourself a favor and watch it in its entirety, you will thank me later.
post #38 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Here is something I watched the other nite on HBO:
http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/superheroes/index.html

It is documentary on people who ACTUALLY do try to live a life as a superhero (for real, folks, not a faux documentary).

Utterly fascinating, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
It is by turns surprising, sad, sympathetic, inspiring, and a host of other things.

With all of the movies to have come out recently based loosely on this idea, this is timely and well worth spending 90 minutes on.
Do yourself a favor and watch it in its entirety, you will thank me later.

I saw some of that. Buncha pathetic idiots. Had to turn it off after a few minutes. Couldn't take any more.
post #39 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I saw some of that. Buncha pathetic idiots. Had to turn it off after a few minutes. Couldn't take any more.
You punched out too early, which is precisely why I said stick with it thru its entirety.

It covers the subject throughly, all of its many elements.
From the psychology of those involved to a very disturbing commentary on modern society.

I don't see how anyone can't be moved and amazed after seeing this.
post #40 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Looks like this "wannabe superhero" genre has a new entry: Griff the Invisible, starring Ryan Kwanten from True Blood.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1509803/
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1343104
post #41 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post
Watched the trailer this morning with the wife.
Seems more of a love story than anything else.
Of course, trailers are not often a good guide.
post #42 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

How is this compared to Defendor? Or Special?

- I've only caught about 10 minutes of Defendor, but I have watched Special. I don't think that Special has much in common with Super. Super is a much darker movie, with much more violence.

I really liked Super. I also don't think it has much in common with with Kick Ass. I liked Kick Ass a lot more since it was more entertaining, but Super made me think about the actions of vigilantes. For example, in Kick Ass, you just knew that the bad guys were bad guys. It wasn't so cut and dry in Super. I also really like Ellen Paige in this. Her insanity and psychosis really made me laugh. Nathan Fillion was also hilarious.
post #43 of 84
Also wanted to mention my two favorite parts of the movie.

Scene 1
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Abe: Toby, Toby... be careful man. I don't want nothing missing.
Toby: So you want something missing?
Abe: What?
Toby: You just said a double negative Abe. You don't want nothing missing. That means you want something missing.


Scene 2
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I burst out laughing at the final scene where Boltie kills the BG with her claws and is laughing maniacally.
post #44 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

You punched out too early, which is precisely why I said stick with it thru its entirety.

It covers the subject throughly, all of its many elements.
From the psychology of those involved to a very disturbing commentary on modern society.

I don't see how anyone can't be moved and amazed after seeing this.

I can find entertainment in fictional movies about "real people" pretending to be superheroes, because the movies are ultimately just wish-fulfilment fantasy. But when actual people cosplay and wander their cities trying to fight crime in spandex and capes, they're just sad and possibly mentally ill. Giving them attention only encourages the behavior, which will eventually get them hurt or killed. I want no part of that.
post #45 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I can find entertainment in fictional movies about "real people" pretending to be superheroes, because the movies are ultimately just wish-fulfilment fantasy. But when actual people cosplay and wander their cities trying to fight crime in spandex and capes, they're just sad and possibly mentally ill. Giving them attention only encourages the behavior, which will eventually get them hurt or killed. I want no part of that.

I understand your POV and concerns.

This doc. really isn't about "spandex and capes."
Superheroes is about people who are seriously dissatisfied with their place in the world (as they perceive it).
Nearly all of them come from similiarly tragic family backgrounds.
These are people who usually end up in prison or dead, but have gone against the odds and, in their own way, are trying to make the world better.
post #46 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

These are people who usually end up in prison or dead, but have gone against the odds and, in their own way, are trying to make the world better.

By getting beaten up, shot, and/or killed while dressed in stupid costumes, and encouraging other people to do the same. Great job, that...
post #47 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

By getting beaten up, shot, and/or killed while dressed in stupid costumes, and encouraging other people to do the same. Great job, that...

I know what you are saying....
But if you were to watch this from beginning to end, you may have a different take on the subject.
Should you find the time, give it another chance.
post #48 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

I really liked Super. I also don't think it has much in common with with Kick Ass. I liked Kick Ass a lot more since it was more entertaining, but Super made me think about the actions of vigilantes. For example, in Kick Ass, you just knew that the bad guys were bad guys. It wasn't so cut and dry in Super. I also really like Ellen Paige in this. Her insanity and psychosis really made me laugh. Nathan Fillion was also hilarious.

As noted in earlier posts, I didn't like Super but loved Ellen Page's performance as the profoundly deranged Boltie. With her good looks, acting chops, and thousand watt charisma, Page sold me on her character. Alas, Rainn Wilson's performance as The Crimson Bolt just made me uncomfortable and left me unentertained, unammused, and disappointed. Obviously, then, I agree with you that Kick-Ass is far more entertaining than Super.
post #49 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Rainn Wilson's performance as The Crimson Bolt just made me uncomfortable.

IMO, making the audience "uncomfortable" with the character is exactly what the filmmaker wanted to do.
From THAT POV, Wilson's performance was spot on.

Of course, it is just my interpretation.
post #50 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

imo, making the audience "uncomfortable" with the character is exactly what the filmmaker wanted to do.
From the pov, wilson's performance was spot on.

Of course, it is just my interpretation.

+1

The whole movie had the same vibe.
post #51 of 84
My problem with Rainn Wilson in Super was that the discomfort he generated was in the context of psychosis and violence. In his role as Dwight Schrute on The Office, though, the whole thing is lighthearted so the discomfort Wilson generates works. Steve Carell has always been able to do the same thing but has had the wit to avoid anything as ugly as Super turned out to be.

A more sympathetic actor than Schrute might have been able to make me like Super more than I did. Ellen Page, as Boltie, was no less crazy and violent than Wilson was as The Crimson Bolt. Page, though, somehow managed to make it work far better than Wilson was able to do. Thus, I have to blame my disappointment in the film on Wilson and the writers in equal measure.
post #52 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

My problem with Rainn Wilson in Super was that the discomfort he generated was in the context of psychosis and violence.

+1
The character (IMO) was drawn in precisely that way.

Quote:


In his role as Dwight Schrute on The Office, though, the whole thing is lighthearted so the discomfort Wilson generates works. Steve Carell has always been able to do the same thing but has had the wit to avoid anything as ugly as Super turned out to be.
A more sympathetic actor than Schrute might have been able to make me like Super more than I did.

I have never seen The Office.
I don't know anything about the character he plays....
post #53 of 84
SUPER was much better than I had thought. I could tell right away it was shot with a Red One camera. I am getting pretty good at spotting the Red. Despite the poor quality of the digital camera, the film was entertaining. I especially liked Ellen Page's feisty role. The film gets pretty dark and it made me laugh out loud twice. It was entertaining throughout.

The film was a disaster at the box office, only opening on a handful of screens. It made back just 12% of its 2.5 million cost. Allot of very well known actors worked for very little money to make this film because they liked the script. The director had a good eye, and the script had some subtle humor.
post #54 of 84
post #55 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

The film was a disaster at the box office, only opening on a handful of screens. It made back just 12% of its 2.5 million cost.

The movie never moved beyond limited release. The director claims that it has done very well in hotel VOD, of all things.
post #56 of 84
I finally got around to watching this one. Obviously it's not made for the masses, since it doesn't try to push every possible button all the time. For someone like me it has some very disturbing images in a few places. But I liked it overall. As others have said Ellen Page is amazingly good and completely off the hook. I imagine it was probably made for a faction of the budget of Kick Ass? If so, it's not quit far to compare them in terms of stylish production values. It's definitely dark and pretty sick, but in a lot of ways vastly more realistic than Kick Ass.
post #57 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

I finally got around to watching this one. Obviously it's not made for the masses, since it doesn't try to push every possible button all the time. For someone like me it has some very disturbing images in a few places. But I liked it overall. As others have said Ellen Page is amazingly good and completely off the hook. I imagine it was probably made for a faction of the budget of Kick Ass? If so, it's not quit far to compare them in terms of stylish production values. It's definitely dark and pretty sick, but in a lot of ways vastly more realistic than Kick Ass.

As noted in several earlier posts, I loved Ellen Page's performance as Boltie, despite how dark and deranged her character was. Rainn Wilson and the screenwriters, though, took me completely out of the film. Blame that on my sheltered upbringing, I guess.smile.gif The resurrection of this old thread, however, has whetted my curiosity. If Super ever shows up on TV I may watch it again, despite my earlier affirmations that I would do no such thing.
post #58 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

. If Super ever shows up on TV I may watch it again, despite my earlier affirmations that I would do no such thing.

It's on TV...been running on SHOWTIME.
post #59 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

It's on TV...been running on SHOWTIME.

Super is only showing on one of Showtime's SD channels now. It's not available on either of the Showtime HD channels Cox OKC carries. I have setup a wishlist entry for it on my TiVo, which should record it if and when it ever gets shown in HD again. I don't know why so few Showtime channels are available here. Cox OKC provides 4 Cinemax HD feeds and 6 more for HBO.
post #60 of 84
I don't really think of Super as a superhero movie. It's more of a character study. A darkly comic character study, but a character study just the same. Like Taxi Driver in a cape. As for Kick-Ass, it's the kind of balls out superhero movie I always craved. Vastly more entertaining than wated down, overrated crap like The Avengers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home